CNN+ to shut down after a month

Nice Guy Eddie

12 hours ago, Skipper said:

Outside of live coverage of an important current event, you couldn't pay me to watch cable news. 

The last time I watched CNN was right after the Boston Marathon bombing, during the manhunt. It was embarrassing to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I understand they that claim to have spent 100s of millions getting this off the ground. I seriously don't understand how they spent anywhere near that amount. 

The same way the Russian government "spent" billions on their current shambles of a military and the US govt spends $10,000 on a hammer. 

15 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

This is even more idiotic that Xerox, who knew the digital camera was the future, and tried to hide their invention from the public, knowing it would put them out of business.  

This will be tale told to business students for generations about leadership gone wrong.  This is easily one of the biggest media failures of all time that was about as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.  Over a billion over four years?  This is weapons-grade stupidity

hahahah timewarner aol merger has to be the biggest clusterfuck ever

funny one of the piles of shit from that legacy of crap is still a pile of shit in this major fuck up

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

(For those that don't know the story:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13615202/rex-chapman-pleads-guilty-apple-store-shoplifting-case

Chapman was arrested and charged with shoplifting $14,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Scottsdale and then selling the items at a pawn shop)

wait the shit I see on the news you are free to enter any apple store and leave with as much shit as you can carry and nothing happens

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Caponata said:

There are so many YouTube channels and podcasts that get more views than their top rated shows. Who actually sits down & watches cable newstainment shows? The demographic has to be 60+.

This is the question that cable news failed to answer with cnn+. Don’t just create slightly different programming and charge for it. Offer something new. If something is failing, switch it up.

as a cnn+, I found their main page boring, difficult to find info, and safe.  Their biggest new feature was “our hosts will answer your questions” during their segment.  That was an interesting concept but it was overproduced and edited. Some hosts like Chris Wallace didn’t accept questions.

Cnn should have brought in more (a few?) non traditional media types (podcasts, YouTube channels) and given them some leeway in producing content. Instead cnn basically just reheated last nights leftovers.

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When I am traveling for work, and turn the hotel room TV on as I get ready in the morning, it's always on CNN HLN, because I get to hang out with the lovely Robin Meade, and get super-high-level takes on the big news of the day, as well as weather and travel delay forecasts.  And Robin.  We get to hang out together.  Because she's nice.

I love Robin Meade and HLN in the morning. It’s the perfect way to catch up on the news before work. She always says “Good Morning Sunshine” to all of us. I’d rather get caught up that way on the news of the day then spend it with Fox/CNN/MSNBC. Jmo. I love the BBC also. And will watch my local news at least at night…but HLN manages to give you news with the least amount of opinionated shit and manages not to fuck up the start of your day by pissing you off or depressing you or jacking you up. Just news delivered in a pithy, fun and friendly way. :)

Robin Meade wants you to start watching…plus, they start earlier than most other programming in the morning 5:00am CT so there’s that. 

83BE5B7B-D7C8-4BDB-AAD0-0E951093474B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Caponata said:

There are so many YouTube channels and podcasts that get more views than their top rated shows. Who actually sits down & watches cable newstainment shows? The demographic has to be 60+.

Yep, a demographic that DOES NOT stream......lol

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

(For those that don't know the story:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13615202/rex-chapman-pleads-guilty-apple-store-shoplifting-case

Chapman was arrested and charged with shoplifting $14,000 worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Scottsdale and then selling the items at a pawn shop)

least CSB ever but I went to HS with his niece.  was a white girl who told me her uncle played in the NBA.  i was hoping it was someone cool....then she said it was a dude on the suns named Rex.  was a scrub at the time, scoring in the single-digits coming off the bench.  the whole thing only stick in my memory for one peculiarity: what kind of basketball player is named REX?

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I love Robin Meade and HLN in the morning. It’s the perfect way to catch up on the news before work. She always says “Good Morning Sunshine” to all of us. I’d rather get caught up that way on the news of the day then spend it with Fox/CNN/MSNBC. Jmo. I love the BBC also. And will watch my local news at least at night…but HLN manages to give you news with the least amount of opinionated shit and manages not to fuck up the start of your day by pissing you off or depressing you or jacking you up. Just news delivered in a pithy, fun and friendly way. :)

Robin Meade wants you to start watching…plus, they start earlier than most other programming in the morning 5:00am CT so there’s that. 

83BE5B7B-D7C8-4BDB-AAD0-0E951093474B.jpeg

Figures...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Shit's getting real.  lol

from NYT "Some of the reasons for a shutdown have to do with the reality of mergers. The fact that CNN’s management pushed forward with the launch of CNN+ instead of waiting for the OK from its new corporate leaders appears to have ruffled feathers. Last week, on the first business day of Discovery’s ownership of WarnerMedia, marketing of CNN+ was suspended. (Zaslav has promised $3 billion in cost savings from the merger.)

In a meeting with CNN+ staff yesterday, Chris Licht, CNN’s incoming president, compared the service to a residential property that had been constructed without the input of its intended owner. “Then the new owner came in and said: ‘What a beautiful house! But I need an apartment,’” he said, according to a recording reviewed by The New York Times."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Vegas64 said:

from NYT "Some of the reasons for a shutdown have to do with the reality of mergers. The fact that CNN’s management pushed forward with the launch of CNN+ instead of waiting for the OK from its new corporate leaders appears to have ruffled feathers. Last week, on the first business day of Discovery’s ownership of WarnerMedia, marketing of CNN+ was suspended. (Zaslav has promised $3 billion in cost savings from the merger.)

In a meeting with CNN+ staff yesterday, Chris Licht, CNN’s incoming president, compared the service to a residential property that had been constructed without the input of its intended owner. “Then the new owner came in and said: ‘What a beautiful house! But I need an apartment,’” he said, according to a recording reviewed by The New York Times."

Yep.  You can liken it to the ghost cities in China.  Massive developments that "anticipated" growth that never happened, and now sit empty

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  You can liken it to the ghost cities in China.  Massive developments that "anticipated" growth that never happened, and now sit empty

Strip malls all over the place built with nothing in them. I see them all over Texas. I keep hoping for a kick ass restaurant but it will never happen. Just a bunch of sad doctors offices and random shit. That is if they fill them up at all. 

CNN+ should have been like @atomheartbevosaid a chance to open up the vault and show people all of the archives. I mean wtf are all these networks saving that shit for? When you subscribe to a service like that you’d expect a lot more than what people that subscribed said it was actually like. But the steaming shit is like at a saturation point. Like Dancing with the Stars moving to Disney plus or whatever…their audience is 50-80 year old types who aren’t going to flock their in droves especially with all the change ups. CNN plus should have been what @atomheartbevosaid. It wasn’t well thought out. Then CNN should have gone back to straight up reporting the news. Maybe keep one flagship guy Cooper and deliver BBC type of content. Less Skip Bayless v SAS and more in-depth reporting. And save the other stuff for plus. Carry over the other programming on the streaming. Behind the scenes stuff. Epic fail. I feel bad for the staffers (not the star types) they brought over and are essentially fucked now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

HEY!  You settle down now. I'm not quite 50 yet dammit......

The move will kill that show which it seems like they are committed to doing at this point. If it goes to streaming it shouldn’t be risqué costumes…it should involve fire and nekkid stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, Brisketexan said:

When I am traveling for work, and turn the hotel room TV on as I get ready in the morning, it's always on CNN HLN, because I get to hang out with the lovely Robin Meade, and get super-high-level takes, And Robin.  We get to hang out together.  Because she's nice.

So that lasts like what, a good 8-10 seconds  ?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 5:49 PM, Foosters said:

BBC World News in the only program on my television that I would say even remotely resembles the news shows I grew up with. Also, the only one I watch.

Anyone here stream CBSN? It's been my go-to since it launched 7-8 years ago. Vlad Deuthiers started there. It's not great, but it purposefully avoids screaming matches and the analysts are usually insightful. I keep it on in the background most days. They also do much more indepth dives into issues that are 7-15 mins long and produce 30min-ish documentaries on various topics.

Here are two great articles if you want to dig into the details of this epic business failure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/business/cnn-plus-shutting-down.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/24/cnn-plus-what-went-wrong-why-it-was-canceled.html

A few notable facts that will make you shake your head: CNN's free liner TV offering average audience was about 534k viewers last year.  Yet, they somehow convinced themselves that they were going to sign up a MILLION paying users for CNN+... in other words they were planning on getting twice the amount of paying users that watch their product...for free.  In what world does that make remote sense?  I teach and consult in Marketing and Pricing and it's a good rule of thumb that for a freemium product (free version you try to convert people to paid), you can expect about a 1-3% conversion rate to paid, depending on circumstances.  At the midpoint of that, 2% of 534K is 10,680...which is just over the reported 10K they actually got to sign up.

They spent $300M on this product development and launch, including a hefty fee to McKinsey to do a market study for them(!!!).  I saw a great tweet that I can't find now that said: "Interestingly there isn't a market for McKinsey to tell executives that their idea is stupid."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Here are two great articles if you want to dig into the details of this epic business failure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/21/business/cnn-plus-shutting-down.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/24/cnn-plus-what-went-wrong-why-it-was-canceled.html

A few notable facts that will make you shake your head: CNN's free liner TV offering average audience was about 534k viewers last year.  Yet, they somehow convinced themselves that they were going to sign up a MILLION paying users for CNN+... in other words they were planning on getting twice the amount of paying users that watch their product...for free.  In what world does that make remote sense?  I teach and consult in Marketing and Pricing and it's a good rule of thumb that for a freemium product (free version you try to convert people to paid), you can expect about a 1-3% conversion rate to paid, depending on circumstances.  At the midpoint of that, 2% of 534K is 10,680...which is just over the reported 10K they actually got to sign up.

They spent $300M on this product development and launch, including a hefty fee to McKinsey to do a market study for them(!!!).  I saw a great tweet that I can't find now that said: "Interestingly there isn't a market for McKinsey to tell executives that their idea is stupid."

I'm going to start up a business that does this for half of their fee. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty good 2 minutes here... Rogan shits all over Stelter, which is whatever, but the best part is the last 20 seconds where he talks about CNN hubris - spot fugging on.
BTW, nothing in this clip is overtly political.  Rogan talks strictly from a personality/attitude/economic perspective.  You don't like Rogan?  Don't click on it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Pretty good 2 minutes here... Rogan shits all over Stelter, which is whatever, but the best part is the last 20 seconds where he talks about CNN hubris - spot fugging on.
BTW, nothing in this clip is overtly political.  Rogan talks strictly from a personality/attitude/economic perspective.  You don't like Rogan?  Don't click on it.

Karen GIF by moodman

3 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Yet, they somehow convinced themselves that they were going to sign up a MILLION paying users for CNN+... in other words they were planning on getting twice the amount of paying users that watch their product...for free.  In what world does that make remote sense?

Sounds like you haven’t watched Jake Tappers book club.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

CNN isn't left?

Idk what the term would be but I guess neoliberal/corporatist. They're pro-intervention  & sandbag actual progressive candidates like Bernie Sanders. They see progressive voices as a threat bc progressive voices will criticize mainstream Democrats. 

16 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Idk what the term would be but I guess neoliberal/corporatist. They're pro-intervention  & sandbag actual progressive candidates like Bernie Sanders. They see progressive voices as a threat bc progressive voices will criticize mainstream Democrats. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

I'm sad about this, because they had purchased a documentary called "No Ordinary Life" about my friend (and Texas Ex) Cynde Strand, and four other women, all badasses that went to very dangerous places to bring us news.  Cynde was in Tiananmen Square when the shit went down, among many other dangerous places. 

Now, it's unclear when and where I'll be able to watch this film. 

https://www.noordinarylifefilm.com/

17 hours ago, phdhorn said:

So brave of Joe to predict the failure after the fact.  

• Haha 1