2022 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- We're Young, Scrappy, and Hungry

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When does his contract end, exactly? After he fixes Sochans shot, I hope. But yeah.... He's been rather critical to their development team. Big blow for sure but he's gotta be up there in age. 

I don't think he's retirement old. He could definitely coach somewhere else if he wants to. I'm more worried about what this could mean behind the scenes.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:05 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Spurs just extended Keldon 4 years, $80 million. Maybe a bit of an overpay but worst case they can use that number to contract match in a trade. 

He's most likely going to show out on a talentless team too.  Opportunity to trade him high in a year before the extension even kicks in.

20 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

giphy.gif

It should be ugly.  It's only summer league, but we looked pretty devoid of talent and Miami signed our best player off our summer league squad.  lol!

Cmon, Summer League? With no Primo or Sochan? It means beyond nothing. Even if they went undefeated winning every game by 30 it would've meant nothing. 

I thought Branham actually looked pretty good though in the limited bit I watched. He's one of those dudes that you don't notice and then look up and he's got 15 points midway though the third quarter. And Wesley is a chucker but his athleticism is evident. 

Too bad we didn't get to see Sochan but those games are so ragged, I'm not sure what he would have been able to show anyhow.

This season is definitely not going to be for the bandwagon fans. It's going to be ugly. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Cmon, Summer League? With no Primo or Sochan? It means beyond nothing. Even if they went undefeated winning every game by 30 it would've meant nothing. 

I thought Branham actually looked pretty good though in the limited bit I watched. He's one of those dudes that you don't notice and then look up and he's got 15 points midway though the third quarter. And Wesley is a chucker but his athleticism is evident. 

Too bad we didn't get to see Sochan but those games are so ragged, I'm not sure what he would have been able to show anyhow.

This season is definitely not going to be for the bandwagon fans. It's going to be ugly. 

wayward pines GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

uld've meant nothing. 

Oh Primo was there and he didn't look all that good, especially for a 2nd year player.  Remember, this is the same summer league that Kyle Anderson was the MVP of going into his 2nd year.  While It's hard to dog summer league yet get excited, as some no doubtedly would have been, if they play well.  What you can do is see how a guy reacts, what his pacing is like, how he gets to his spots, can he use a pick, is he active with hands everywhere. 

And I said the team was devoid of real NBA talent right now and that's the truth.  Wesley is a D-league guy right now, needs a ton of development.  He has real quicks, he's a blur, but he also plays crazy out of control and has no idea where he's going to what he's doing half the time.  Shot 30%.  Averaged almost 3 turnovers to 4 assists.  He has talent, but he needs a ton of work.  Branham looked better as the games went along.  His best game was the last game and I think that bodes well.  I like his angles, he doesn't seem to be in a rush and he understands how to use his body to generate space.  But he didn't do much otherwise.  Doesn't really create, not active on D, doesn't rebound, etc.  We'll see if that changes in the D-league.  Primo, up and down.  He's an inefficient player, the best thing about him is he looks a lot bigger.... becoming a dude, physically.

The rest of the squad isn't really NBA talent except for maybe Darius Days, who probably was consistently our best player in the first four.  He's nothing but a try hard, end of the bench guy and considering he was our best player (not most talented) in SL , I stand by my statement.  Our SL squad didn't show well for NBA talent or readiness.  I don't think our NBA regular season team will either.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, Chad said:

Turned out to be a pretty good player for where he was drafted, but was never going to be the guy to take the team deep into the playoffs. He's a thin skinned bitch, bye bye.

Future journeyman, ceiling is Devin Harris

I am going to offer one alternative that is 1000% based on speculation but the guy has been there for what, 17 years? There's a better than zero chance that they have his process down and documented, and have somebody else there that can replicate what he does. I mean, how much of being a shot doctor is voodoo and how much of it is science? There is also the chance that there are newer techniques and that he's an old dog with old tricks who hasn't adapted. And there's also the chance that this franchise is going down into a deep dark hole that it may never come out of. 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:21 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I am going to offer one alternative that is 1000% based on speculation but the guy has been there for what, 17 years? There's a better than zero chance that they have his process down and documented, and have somebody else there that can replicate what he does. I mean, how much of being a shot doctor is voodoo and how much of it is science? There is also the chance that there are newer techniques and that he's an old dog with old tricks who hasn't adapted. And there's also the chance that this franchise is going down into a deep dark hole that it may never come out of. 

Agree on that last sentence.  I've been completely unimpressed with everything this team has been doing since the Kawhi debacle.  The defense has been shit for awhile, and a lot of that is on the coaches.  The roster has been absolute shit for awhile now, and that's on the front office.  When this team is in full tank mode, no one is going to go to the games and the team will really struggle financially.  That's the excuse they'll use to pull the trigger and move it to Austin, which is what I think the longer term plan has been for a few years now.

On 8/1/2022 at 1:30 PM, NoRagrets said:

Agree on that last sentence.  I've been completely unimpressed with everything this team has been doing since the Kawhi debacle.  The defense has been shit for awhile, and a lot of that is on the coaches.  The roster has been absolute shit for awhile now, and that's on the front office.  When this team is in full tank mode, no one is going to go to the games and the team will really struggle financially.  That's the excuse they'll use to pull the trigger and move it to Austin, which is what I think the longer term plan has been for a few years now.

You really think they'd move the Spurs to Austin?  Is there any real evidence for that beyond message board speculation?  In Austin they'd be trading one small market for another, even if Austin is growing at a faster clip it's still small compared to most of the NBA markets.  Not sure what that move buys them vs. the ill will created by making it.  Plus they'd be going into a city where they aren't the lone wolf anymore, since Austin has UT as the big dog and Austin FC as a successful pro franchise already vs. SA where they can and do bully the city and county as the only game in town.  I just don't see it...Vegas, Seattle maybe, but Austin?

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

So Dejounte had himself quite a weekend. Is this what he meant by being “free” as in freedom to make a humongous ass of himself playing pickup ball? 

There's a better than zero chance that they sold at peak market on Murray -- he's on a great contract and put up fantastic numbers on a losing team where he could dominate the ball. But from almost the second he got traded, he's continued to show his ass. Whatever the Spurs did to suppress that shit while he was playing for them.... great job.  Let's hope he gets overexposed and continues to be a jack ass, and drags the Hawks down with him. Those picks could be something.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

They just released the schedule.

Opening night at home vs. Charlotte.

They are going to try to break the NBA attendance record on Jan 13 in the Alamodome vs the Warriors. For sure Curry and Thompson load manage that night.

Rodeo road trip is 2/6 - 2/28 bookending the all star break: Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, Charlotte, then all star break which somehow now lasts a week, Dallas and Utah 2x.  Props to them for not scheduling the two Austin games during this RRT because you know that would make too much sense. Or try to put one of those games in when they have a ridiculous 6 game home stand in March to give the season ticket holders some relief. The Austin games aren't until 4/6 and 4/8, which are the last two "home" games of the year. I guess they figure nobody in SA would pay to go see that garbage. Might as well try to find some new suckers.