2022 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- We're Young, Scrappy, and Hungry

Patrick Bateman

With the spurs, rumor = bullshit. The next time they make any move that doesn't come completely out of blue will be the first in about 20 years. The other thing about DJ, in addition to his being the current face of the franchise and the only thing approaching an NBA star, is that he's on a terrific contract. It's one thing to put up the numbers he did, it's another to do it at a bargain. And I have never understood the fascination with Collins. He's hurt a good bit, has a contract that exceeds his value, and doesn't play winning basketball. No gracias. 

Pretty excited about the draft tonight. I can't see them drafting four players unless one is euro stash guy. And there aren't many good candidates for that in this draft. Even if they were to stash one, I think some moves are in order. 

They are not in any position to pass over the best player available, but I do hope they come out of tonight with some size. Sochon from Baylor would be my pick if he were available. Lots of mocks have them taking Duren, which I can talk myself into, but don't love. He comes highly recommended by Larry Brown allegedly. The last time that happened they ended up signing Jackie Butler and then had to move Luis Scola to get under the tax. Fuck that. Then there are a bunch of 6'5" dudes that don't move the needle for me at all. Even Mathurin, who probably won't be available, doesn't excite me much. They'll probably end up with the dude from Kansas because RC and Bill Self have been sucking each other's dicks for 30 years now. At 20 and 25, hopefully they can pull a rabbit out of their ass or trade the picks for more future picks and push everything down the road some more. 

Tonight should be fun. GSG. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Fucking rumors won't go away, but can't tell what's just rehash from yesterday. Couple more hours and it will all be over with. Just get me a damn solid pick already. Not for 3 years from now, a guy that can come in and hit the road running this year with PT, and at least be a key piece in year 2.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Fuck yes. Such a smart player. They're gonna fix his shot and he's going to be a great pro. 

I’m sort of here.  There’s a lot to work with but he’s got to fix that shot at the top.  Not sure he has superstar in him but good player for a decade?  Yea, he has some good traits that should translate better in the NBA.

Russillo has been raving about him for weeks and saying the intel was he'd almost assuredly go in the top 10. He's a prototype 4 for the modern NBA - big question is whether he can develop an outside shot. 

Draymond's a decent comp but he's a bit bigger and probably doesn't have the ball handling and passing ability yet. But Dray was a late bloomer. 

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Assuming Liddell is gone...I'd take Kessler with 25. But no matter what happens next (assuming they don't trade either of their picks so far) the Spurs had a great night. 

Roster spot crunch is real now.... You draft a guy you think you be on the active roster at 25 then a guy like Wieskemp may get cut or you don't have the space to consider bringing anyone back.  

Not saying we shouldn't but there are some number considerations. 

Doubt Spurs had interest in Roddy (# 23 pick)

"Most mock drafts have Roddy as an early second-round pick. The rumor mill is buzzing with a possible local connection after the Denver Nuggets traded for the No. 30 pick. It's possible, but unlikely, he'll go to Denver, though."

Hope that pushes a great player to Spurs...

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Roster spot crunch is real now.... You draft a guy you think you be on the active roster at 25 then a guy like Wieskemp may get cut or you don't have the space to consider bringing anyone back.  

Not saying we shouldn't but there are some number considerations. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah 3 first round picks that you're attempting to keep gets dicey. Maybe we see a trade here. 

I don't disagree but I think Liddell is a steal at 25 if he's there. Hardy from g league too. There's still legit talent that they don't have the luxury of overlooking.