2022 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- We're Young, Scrappy, and Hungry

Patrick Bateman

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Their last couple of picks have been 16 and 20.  Doubt they get any worse the next couple of years.  Not sure how valuable those picks will be.  Maybe Charlottes but it has protections.  They'd need some injury help by Atlanta.

I don't mind trading Murray but for a mid to back end first rounders..... idk.  That's a big risk.

You're right. They are going to need to sweeten the pot with some sort of combo of Okongwu, Hunter, or Heurter plus picks and swaps. 

So... I don't think Pop is going anywhere. 

I don't mind trading DJ but I like him. If he takes another leap this could look bad. If he remains relatively the same player it is probably a good move. Latter is probably more likely considering he's on the wrong side of 25 already. 

Edited by ztejas

https://www.spurstalk.com/dejounte-murray-trade-rumors-spurs-hawks-intel/

Here were the most relevant points for me. 

San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections. Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps.

3) Interestingly, an insider close to the situation says that the Spurs have multiple teams making a strong push for Murray besides the Hawks. One Eastern Conference team, he says, is offering three first round draft picks and a desirable young player in a proposed swap. He also stated that the Minnesota Timberwolves have expressed serious interest in Murray.

4) Multiple sources have told me the only player on the Hawks the Spurs would value as a possible replacement for a first round pick is Onyeka Okongwu. The 21-year-old big man averaged 8.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 20.7 minutes per game last season.

On the other hand, the Spurs reportedly view Collins’ $125 million contract as a liability. To match salaries, San Antonio would rather take on Danilo Gallinari and his partially guaranteed contract. 

Going to guess with a couple first rounders.  Maybe a pick swap.  Hawks probably rather have Okongwu on his cheap rookie contract than Collins on his pricey one.  

Regardless, it appears that PATFO finally understands this is a rebuild and sucking may be required for another year or two.

All these Dejounte trade rumors circulating are the most un-Spur thing, ever. I just shake my head with every new one. I think it's bullshit. If they were going to do something, I think it would be coming out of left field unless it's actually his agent (Klutch, btw) who is putting all this shit out there. In that case... all bets are off.

And I'm on record here with being good with them trading him as his value isn't ever going to be any higher... or keeping him. I really like him. But holy shit if the Knicks want to give up a ton of unprotected picks and swaps while they shit all over their cap hitching their wagon to Jalen Brunson, Julius Randle, Dejounte and RJ Barrett. That's going to be the worst spaced and worst three point shooting team in the league. Just a horrible, disastrous basketball fit. They are going to suck for another decade.

Also... Summer League Roster was released. Of note... guest coach Dogus Balbay! Had that already been reported?

Along with seeing all the new rooks plus Primo and Wieskamp, Dominick Barlow is someone I'm very interested in. He was supposed to get drafted late second round, I think. Highly rated in high school, very young, very raw but a plus athlete with 7'3" wingspan who played in the G-league last year.  He's exactly the type of guy they should be targeting for a 2-way deal. Definitely a different body type and athlete than anything currently on the roster.

We have no young talent to offer besides picks and DLos expiring. Is this guy worth 2-3 picks?

Spurs are in a bad spot in terms of not good enough to make playoff noise and not bad enough to be a threat to win the lottery. Maybe they realize this with Murray and want to bottom out now instead of wasting time

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

fucking bullshit awful goddamn trade

It fucking sucks. But we’re not going anywhere being a middle of the road, play-in team. If you want to be angry, be angry that we didn’t do this after fuckhead left for Toronto. 

7 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Familiarize yourself with this young man.

Are we thinking the Spurs are going to be among the worst teams in the league? It’s going to be a cutthroat race to the bottom. I can’t see the Spurs being bad enough to be bottom 3. 

2 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Are we thinking the Spurs are going to be among the worst teams in the league? It’s going to be a cutthroat race to the bottom. I can’t see the Spurs being bad enough to be bottom 3. 

Did you not just see what they did? Do you honestly think they’re done? It’s a fucking fire-sale dude

Clearly, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about regarding the tight lipped Spurs. 
Is that 2023 Hornets pick unprotected? That could be juicy. So, 2023 Charlotte, 2025 and 2027 Atlanta plus potential swap in 2026. 
Better late than never, but glory be the tank is on.

Hornets pick is top 16 protected.

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Did you not just see what they did? Do you honestly think they’re done? It’s a fucking fire-sale dude

You are right. It’s still tough for me to wrap my head around it. But I’ll be ecstatic if we get Wembanya or Scoot. 

2 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Hornets pick is top 16 protected.

Yeah.... I just looked it up. Not great. I doubt it conveys, even in the next three years. Can anyone see Charlotte being one of the best 14 teams in the entire league over the next 3 years with MJ running that shit show?

2023 first round draft pick from Charlotte
Charlotte's 1st round pick to Atlanta (via New York) protected for selections 1-16 in 2023, 1-14 in 2024 and 1-14 in 2025; if Charlotte has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Atlanta by 2025, then Charlotte will instead convey its 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round draft pick to Atlanta [Charlotte-New York, 7/30/2021; Atlanta-New York, 1/13/2022]

I get why they did what they did and I'm grudgingly on board, but I'm not sure they are any closer to ring #6 than they were 30 minutes ago.

Man I never thought I’d see the Spurs in Rebuild mode!! But fellas I think that’s where we are at. . 

I know you guys hate the trade but what we got is very underrated!!! Those  picks could turn out to be game changer's

Heres to the long haul 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Man I never thought I’d see the Spurs in Rebuild mode!! But fellas I think that’s where we are at. . 

I know you guys hate the trade but what we got is very underrated!!! Those  picks could turn out to be game changer's

Heres to the long haul 

Yeah if we're lucky maybe 1 of those 3 picks will turn into an all star like the one we just traded 

Barring some unfortunate shit happening to Atlanta, which let's face it... historically has happened over and over again, the best use of those picks is going to be to move up a few spots in the draft in a year where they fall in love with a certain player, a la OKC this year. But fuck it.... let's bring on as many bad contracts as we can absorb and dump as many vets (Poeltl, McBuckets, Richardson) as we can for all the picks. Beats losing in the play-in every season.

Just now, ztejas said:

Primo's gonna average 22 a game. 

Turnovers? Forced jumpers?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Clearly, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about regarding the tight lipped Spurs. 

Is that 2023 Hornets pick unprotected? That could be juicy. So, 2023 Charlotte, 2025 and 2027 Atlanta plus potential swap in 2026. 

Better late than never, but glory be the tank is on.

I believe it has protections for the lottery.  Could be wrong.  

19 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Yeah if we're lucky maybe 1 of those 3 picks will turn into an all star like the one we just traded 

This is where I'm at. Maybe we get a Top 2-3 pick FINALLY next year. But maybe we get fucked in the lottery and don't. Or maybe we're not shitty enough because we still have improving talent like Keldon and Devin on this team. So maybe we just traded away our only home-grown all-star in forever for a few rolls of the dice. 

33 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

1-14 protected is garbage, these picks are garbage, what the fuck were we doing the last 3 years if this is what they decide

It was an incredible waste.  At every level.  This was Pop’s decision and he failed us the last 3 years.  Waste of time and resources.  Now…. The tank is on and the real work begins. 

13 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

This is where I'm at. Maybe we get a Top 2-3 pick FINALLY next year. But maybe we get fucked in the lottery and don't. Or maybe we're not shitty enough because we still have improving talent like Keldon and Devin on this team. So maybe we just traded away our only home-grown all-star in forever for a few rolls of the dice. 

DJ will almost assuredly never be a championship 1. And he was drafted just 5 years after Kawhi. There could be a future all-star already in the org. 

Keeping DJ would be rolling the dice just the same as he may or may not develop into an all-nba level player. 

50 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Yeah, this is where I'm at.

What's the plan here really? Apparently we have no players good enough to keep so if they have any trade value at all let's
trade them away for some future prayer with a low percentage chance of working out.
Maybe the front office is just hoping to hit it lucky again and get a franchise player in the draft so they can develop him and
then he can get pissy and leave so we are crap again. Excellent.

They just traded away a young All-Star.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Jak’s gone. Richardson, gone. Lonnie, gone. McBuckets, gone. We’re going to suck harder than Andy Dick on a coke bender.

782578789c60ff95c9f9db701dfac609.gif

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Primo's gonna average 22 a game. 

Shots maybe.

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Yes, there is a lot of uncertainty.... But what is certain is this team was going nowhere as currently constructed.  Upside is a play in game win and then a gentlemen's first round sweep to the 1 seed.  Yea.  Maybe next year we win win 2 in the first round.  There wasn't a real great likelihood of real success the next two year or on any team whereby Murray is your best player.  And then are you going to max him out next summer or the summer after?  You want to pay Murray about 30% of your cap space?  Again, the only real hope for a major jump would have been for one of these non-top 5 picks to become a Kawhi, which we've shown is clearly the outlier.  So from and odds perspective, we took the sell high and try our chances by playing young, playing hard, and ultimately learning to win by having to lose. 

Nothing is certain in sports, but we took a step last year by clearing out the olds.  We took another by selling a guy at the height of his trade value for future assets because his contract wasn't going to be productive for our timeline.  It's short-term pain (I hate losing Murray) for potential long-term gains, but yes, every draft pick we make could suck or die.  Every free agent could laugh at us and Pop could die with the most losses in NBA history.  These are all possibilities..... but the known was pretty shitty too.