2022 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- We're Young, Scrappy, and Hungry

Patrick Bateman

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not the first to express this sentiment, but the more time that passes since 2016, the more I wonder if all the mystique about the "Spurs system/culture" and PATFO was really just the incredible good fortune of having an all-time-yet-egoless great like Tim Duncan to build a franchise around.

I miss that guy so much.

Manu, too. Hell, even Tony. But that's why we have the YouTubez.

Yeah, David, Tim, Manu and Tony all made this group look much better than they were/are. 

Never been fully on board with Popovich. Bob Hill went 62-20 and 59-23 in his first two seasons, then they kept Robinson out on purpose the next year (1996) and went
 3-18, Pop said Hill had "lost the team" and then took over as coach the day they brought David back. Riiiight.

28 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, Manu and Tony are HOF'ers so there's that ...

Let me give a little background on Pop. I think I've recounted this story on this board before (or maybe it was Shaggy). I graduated from UT in 1996 and went back to SA to work as an intern for Don Harris/Pete Delgado at KMOL-TV. I was also covering HS sports for the SAEN. My KMOL gig was great -- except that it was unpaid. I got to go to every sporting event big or small. That included every single Spurs gameday shootaround, practice and all the home games. This was the year Robinson hurt his back.

Pop had just returned to the team as the GM after serving as assistant to Don Nelson in Golden State (I believe). Bob Hill's team had famously flamed out the previous two springs, the first when Hakeem put together the greatest six weeks of basketball I've ever seen anybody do -- Jordan included. Then the Spurs were largely uncompetitive in losing to the Jazz in 96. The Spurs cut ties with Rodman and sent him to Chicago for Kerr and Perdue (IIRC). At any rate, David hurt his back and started the 96-97 season on the DL and the Spurs, understandably, struggled out of the gate.

The Spurs lost 15 of their first 18 games before David was able to return. Strangely enough, Pop fired Hill *right* before David was due to return to the team and made himself the HC. I was not a big Pop fan at the time and thought that was pretty much out of line to make that move considering all that Hill had done the previous few seasons. In fact, I thought it was odd poetic justice when David hurt his back again after playing just six games and was then lost for the season.

My interactions with Pop were not great that season. The only reporter/journalist he got along with was Buck Harvey and I'm not sure the relationship was all that peachy the first year. Since the team was pathetic, there were times it was me and just the camera guys from the other TV stations at shootarounds or in the post-game press conferences. I think Jerry Briggs was the SAEN beat writer at the time (maybe it was Tim Griffin).

But I will say one thing about what Pop brought. He instilled that team toughness, the mentality to scrap and be tough on defense that would help us (along with Timmy, of course) win that first title in '99. That would never have come from Hill. Hell, Jamie Feick came in and was pulling down 15 boards a night in the spring that season.

Also, I might have been one of the first to receive the wrath of Pop's infamous surly-to-reporters interactions during a meaningless post-Xmas game. Avery was out because he had his tonsils removed or something and rookie Cory Alexander started in his place. Cory went off for nearly 30 points and the Spurs won (I think). Again, it's me and a SAEN writer and the TV cameras in the post-game. (Oh, and Chuck Mikitenic was there too.) All I need is a standard, "Cory was great tonight" quote for the 10 PM sportscast so I tee up the following question: "So, does Avery need to worry about that starting job?" with a wink and a smile. There was an awkward pause before Pop responded.

Pop: "Who are you? Who are you with?"

Me: "I'm, um, (gulp), "C-Man" with Channel 4. Um, um, just asking about Cory's night."

This MF'er who shouldn't even be the HC at this point in my eyes was dressing me down? His team was going to lose 62 games that season. He knew who I was since I was about the only person -- other than the SAEN folks -- who was at EVERYTHING. I was pretty pissed.

Thankfully, somebody else asked a question and we moved on.

I made sure to ask another question before the PC was over just to show Pop he hadn't completely neutered me. Chuck caught up to me as we were running to the part of the Alamodome where we could shoot the video back to the station. Chuck made sure to let me know what Pop had done was completely unprofessional and unwarranted. Whatever. I figured he wasn't long for the franchise at that point.

We finished the year without further incident but I basically couldn't stand Pop. I left KMOL that summer, went to work full-time at the SAEN and never crossed paths with Pop again. I moved to Dallas to work for the FWST in 1998. I hoped I'd run across Pop again during my time helping out on the Mavericks during early '00s playoff runs but it never happened. I wanted to poke Pop in the side and ask if he remembered that night back in 1997. By this point, I thought (and still think) Pop hung the moon. I'd love to have a glass of wine with him and laugh about that interaction when I suggested that maybe Avery was getting Wally Pipp-ed by Cory Alexander -- and he ripped me a new asshole.

Great read and insight. Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Pop fired Hill *right* before David was due to return to the team and made himself the HC. I was not a big Pop fan at the time and thought that was pretty much out of line to make that move considering all that Hill had done the previous few seasons.

I remember this was incredibly controversial. Bob Hill had the team #1 in the conference with healthy D-Rob. Hindsight really is 20-20

“Is Player X going to be Wally Pipp’ed / need to worry about his job?” has always been a moronic question. Good for Pop. Just ask about the player performing well and don’t try and put the coach in a tough spot.  @C-Man

Edited by Irieguy

9 hours ago, Irieguy said:

“Is Player X going to be Wally Pipp’ed / need to worry about his job?” has always been a moronic question. Good for Pop. Just ask about the player performing well and don’t try and put the coach in a tough spot.  @C-Man

Lighten up, Francis. It was a jokey, light-hearted question that everybody in the room knew was a way to get a slob-knob quote about how well Cory played that night. Pop just felt like being an asshole to a rookie reporter that night.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yeah, David, Tim, Manu and Tony all made this group look much better than they were/are. 

Never been fully on board with Popovich. Bob Hill went 62-20 and 59-23 in his first two seasons, then they kept Robinson out on purpose the next year (1996) and went
 3-18, Pop said Hill had "lost the team" and then took over as coach the day they brought David back. Riiiight.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Been seeing rumors of Westbrook headed to San Antonio as a dumping ground. How are y’all with that idea?  Any thing better to do next year with that $47 million, and would you do it if you got 27 and 29 and a 28 swap from the Lakers?  

I wouldn't hate it but I don't think we'd help out the Lakers like that. Westbrook could also potentially fuck up a tank. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't hate it but I don't think we'd help out the Lakers like that. Westbrook could also potentially fuck up a tank. 

You could buy him out and never play him. Or give him the Wall treatment and tell him not to bother showing up. 

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He ain't gonna fuck up a tank at this stage of his career.  But doubt he'd want to report, probably be a buyout situation if we couldn't dump him after a month or two.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

He ain't gonna fuck up a tank at this stage of his career.  But doubt he'd want to report, probably be a buyout situation if we couldn't dump him after a month or two.

His contract is atrocious but he'd definitely report and could definitely fuck up a serious tank. He's plenty capable of pulling 5 wins out of his ass as the best player on a team still. I mean it isn't much but it could be the difference between winning 28 or winning 26. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

His contract is atrocious but he'd definitely report and could definitely fuck up a serious tank. He's plenty capable of pulling 5 wins out of his ass as the best player on a team still. I mean it isn't much but it could be the difference between winning 28 or winning 26. 

He hasn't been worth 5 wins in 3 years.  He's a pretty terrible player now.  Probably not as bad as last year, but he's not a winning player.  I understand not wanting him but I just don't think he wants to go to a tanking team anymore.  I think he'd sit out (with the Spurs very much onboard) while we could see if there was any injury which would allow us to dump after the December deadline.  If not, buy him out..... That's a high price for draft picks (20m+ per first rounder).  It's not the strangest idea, but I don't think it's very likely either.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He hasn't been worth 5 wins in 3 years.  He's a pretty terrible player now.  Probably not as bad as last year, but he's not a winning player.  I understand not wanting him but I just don't think he wants to go to a tanking team anymore.  I think he'd sit out (with the Spurs very much onboard) while we could see if there was any injury which would allow us to dump after the December deadline.  If not, buy him out..... That's a high price for draft picks (20m+ per first rounder).  It's not the strangest idea, but I don't think it's very likely either.

We're getting off topic. I don't think the Spurs are trading for Westbrook. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:04 PM, Coach pop a bitch said:

@C-Man were you around when doc tried to take over? Would love to hear about that. I might have been about 10 and don't remember much. 

Doc Rivers? No, I was long gone by then. Doc and the Magic tried to steal Duncan in 2000 or so, right?

NSIAP

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orlando-tim-duncan-san-antonio-spurs-grant-hill-free-agency-rumors-history-doc-rivers

On SHOWTIME's All the Smoke, Grant Hill revealed his insight into the Magic's failed recruiting efforts to sign Duncan. Hill added further context to the rumor that coach Doc Rivers not allowing family members on the team plane turned off Duncan from coming to play in Orlando with him and Tracy McGrady.

"So what happened was, Tim and I had the same agent, so we went down together, and Tim was more him at the time than I was. I was still- I had New York, I had a couple of other things I was looking at, but Tim wanted to be in Orlando if he were to leave. And so we were down there, they're hosting us, they had a pretty good season, Doc Rivers' first year coaching them... And so while we were there, everything was going well, like I felt this could happen. I know it's hard for people to think now of Tim Duncan anywhere else.

"I remember like it was yesterday, we went to dinner, and Tim's girlfriend asked Doc a question: 'can wives and girlfriends travel on the team plane?' You gotta understand, back then it didn't happen, it happens now, but back then it didn't happen. So Doc says, 'no, it's a business trip, it doesn't happen. I don't allow that'. I didn't know that San Antonio had started doing that, and so that's why.

"We got back to the hotel that night, and it was funny because Tamia and I were in the hotel room almost like the hotel room was bugged, so we're whispering to each other and she's like, 'he ain't coming'. I said, 'what do you mean?' She was like, 'when she asked that question, her whole body language changed with the response'."

spacer.png

Christopher Walken Salute To You GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Edited by chainsaw
Rules and lulz
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

We did something!

Forgot that Gorgui played for Spurs in 2021 for a few games...

San Antonio Spurs (2021)

On March 29, 2021, Dieng signed with the San Antonio Spurs.[30] He averaged 5.3 PPG, 2.6 RPG, and 1.2 APG in 16 games played off the bench with the Spurs.[31]

21 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Are we even close to the floor with the cap holds/retained cap, loss of Dejounte? 

Good question (short answer - not really). Here's what we have for next year that hasn't changed yet:

Doug - 13.8

Josh - 12.2

Jak - 9.4

ZC - 7.4

Langford - 5.6

Sochan - 5.1

DV - 4.4

KJ - 3.9

Branham - 2.9

Wesley 2.4

KBD - 1.9

Tre Jones - 1.8

Dieng - pencil in like 5 I guess?

Gallo dead money - 10.4

That gets us to a whopping 86.2M. 2023 floor is 111.3. 

However - that's just 13 rostered players. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get to the floor. 

@Patrick Bateman correct me if I missed anything. 

Edited by ztejas

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good question (short answer - not really). Here's what we have for next year that hasn't changed yet:

Doug - 13.8

Josh - 12.2

Jak - 9.4

ZC - 7.4

Langford - 5.6

Sochan - 5.1

DV - 4.4

KJ - 3.9

Branham - 2.9

Wesley 2.4

KBD - 1.9

Tre Jones - 1.8

Gallo dead money - 10.4

However - that's just 13 rostered players. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get to the floor. 

I'm offering my services for 25.1M they'd be nuts to say no

San Antonio has some of the best shooting coaches in the game.  It is possible that Westbrook could learn some efficiency in San Antonio that could serve him for the rest of his career. 

DeRozan went from 48.5% eFG with Toronto to 53.5% eFG by his 2nd year in SA.  And improved from 82% to 88% in free throws.

Aldridge's efficiency also went up a lot when he joined San Antonio.

I don't think it would be a terrible move, especially if the picks are unprotected.  LA may end up with a bad year or two as LeBron ages.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

San Antonio has some of the best shooting coaches in the game.  It is possible that Westbrook could learn some efficiency in San Antonio that could serve him for the rest of his career. 

DeRozan went from 48.5% eFG with Toronto to 53.5% eFG by his 2nd year in SA.  And improved from 82% to 88% in free throws.

Aldridge's efficiency also went up a lot when he joined San Antonio.

I don't think it would be a terrible move, especially if the picks are unprotected.  LA may end up with a bad year or two as LeBron ages.

LeBron is past his prime for sure

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Man, we want to enjoy our tank year. Russ on this team will make it depressing as hell. Aren’t there some other shitty contracts we can take that aren’t tied to Mr. Prima-donna and the Lakers?

would it be legal for Pop to send him up to Austin

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

LA may end up with a bad year or two as LeBron ages.

They MAY end up with a bad year or two? They've missed the playoffs in 2/4 of LeBron's years there. And in another year had to go through the play in. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kermit said:

We're trying to lose and he's a great vet to have around. That's the way I look at it. Plus, got to pay somebody. Are we even close to the floor with the cap holds/retained cap, loss of Dejounte? 

The only thing I can come up with is what you hit on.  PATFO liked him for few weeks he was on the club last time and they're actively shopping Jakob's ladder.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Doug - 13.8

Josh - 12.2

Jak - 9.4

ZC - 7.4

Langford - 5.6

Sochan - 5.1

DV - 4.4

KJ - 3.9

Branham - 2.9

Wesley 2.4

KBD - 1.9

Tre Jones - 1.8

Gallo dead money - 10.4

I think Gallo's dead money can get up to 12.5.  Dieng was expected to be the vet minimum so like 2m.  Floor is dead on so we'll be taking on some bad money at some point.

7 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

There you go, Patrick.

I like it.  Developmental front court guy that can shoot a little.  Proto-typical 4 in today's guy who can play some small ball 5.  Has to get tougher and play a better D but if he can stay out of Pop's doghouse, he could be a solid 8-9th guy in a rotation in a year or two.  The 4/5 is exactly the position we've been woefully shallow at the last few years relying first on Rudy Gay to play 4 and then Keldon, who's too small.  Obviously if we move Jakob, he gets minutes along with Dieng.  Low risk, solid reward move.  If he sucks, so what?  Solid.

Well, he's right..... that could change.  That also couldn't change.  Aliens could land tomorrow too.  I do think looking at our roster and cap situation, we're going to take a bad expiring contract or two for draft picks at some point this year.  But what would the Nets get if they traded Kyrie away?  Lakers only have so many draft picks.  They already traded a ton away.  I mean guys like TGT are jags.  Would the Nets want a Jakob's ladder?  Why?  How would that help them?  I understand looking at places that could take Westbrook, but the issue becomes.... what do the Lakers really have to offer?

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, he's right..... that could change.  That also couldn't change.  Aliens could land tomorrow too.  I do think looking at our roster and cap situation, we're going to take a bad expiring contract or two for draft picks at some point this year.  But what would the Nets get if they traded Kyrie away?  Lakers only have so many draft picks.  They already traded a ton away.  I mean guys like TGT are jags.  Would the Nets want a Jakob's ladder?  Why?  How would that help them?  I understand looking at places that could take Westbrook, but the issue becomes.... what do the Lakers really have to offer?

A couple of Ron Harper jerseys, Mitch Kupchak’s cordless telephone, and some  used Magic Johnson themed rubbers.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:56 PM, Kermit said:

A couple of Ron Harper jerseys, Mitch Kupchak’s cordless telephone, and some  used Magic Johnson themed rubbers.

Also a cocktail napkin with Jeanie Buss' lipstick on it. 

No Sochan in SL today. 

Sad Arrested Development GIF

Got a chance to watch some of the SL game. Primo is way to passive. It looked like he was getting doubled, but he could do a better job of handling it. When he started being aggressive in the fourth, he looked the part. Blake Wesley was everything we’ve wanted Lonnie to be. I know it’s SL, but he looked the part. Once Malaki got going, he looked smooth as hell. Every single front court player looked like ass. Wish Sochan was playing.

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Got a chance to watch some of the SL game. Primo is way to passive. It looked like he was getting doubled, but he could do a better job of handling it. When he started being aggressive in the fourth, he looked the part. Blake Wesley was everything we’ve wanted Lonnie to be. I know it’s SL, but he looked the part. Once Malaki got going, he looked smooth as hell. Every single front court player looked like ass. Wish Sochan was playing.

Saw a few highlights..... Primo has gotten big.  Probably grown an inch or two and has started to fill out.  Physically, he has developed.  And it's only one game in which I didn't see all of it so maybe from someone who did.  I love his shooting efficiency and he was big in the 4th.  But he played 30 minutes against guys who are roster cut lines for the most part and he had 20 points and 5 assists with 3 turnovers.  But he had 0 fucking rebounds and 0 fucking steals.  That type of line is what Lonnie would put up and I hated it.  Make your presence known everywhere and not just scoring and ballhandling.  I really don't know how you play 30 minutes and don't run into 1 rebound in a glorified scrimmage.  Wesley has kind of an ugly, hunched over game but he looked like the best player on the court.  Branham is smooth and I love how he understands angles.  Will need to do more. 

Again, 1 summer league game so not much to glean from it except Primo looks like a dude now, not the skinny fuck from last year, and that's a huge deal.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Saw a few highlights..... Primo has gotten big.  Probably grown an inch or two and has started to fill out.  Physically, he has developed.  And it's only one game in which I didn't see all of it so maybe from someone who did.  I love his shooting efficiency and he was big in the 4th.  But he played 30 minutes against guys who are roster cut lines for the most part and he had 20 points and 5 assists with 3 turnovers.  But he had 0 fucking rebounds and 0 fucking steals.  That type of line is what Lonnie would put up and I hated it.  Make your presence known everywhere and not just scoring and ballhandling.  I really don't know how you play 30 minutes and don't run into 1 rebound in a glorified scrimmage.  Wesley has kind of an ugly, hunched over game but he looked like the best player on the court.  Branham is smooth and I love how he understands angles.  Will need to do more. 

Again, 1 summer league game so not much to glean from it except Primo looks like a dude now, not the skinny fuck from last year, and that's a huge deal.

I also wonder how much of that was him trying to get the young guys involved and calling their number. He doesn’t need to be there, but he is. Hopefully he looks more engaged and forceful in the next game.

47 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I also wonder how much of that was him trying to get the young guys involved and calling their number. He doesn’t need to be there, but he is. Hopefully he looks more engaged and forceful in the next game.

No doubt he was working on his game and part of that was being a playmaker, so maybe the 5 assists.  I disagree about not needing these few games.  He absolutely needs to be there and more reps.  We're all excited about his potential but he was one of the worst players, statistically, in the NBA last year.  I keep seeing posts and input that we're going "give him the keys", and I'm like.... dude needs to prove he can play in the league first.  I think he can but he's got a long developmental cycle ahead.  I expect Vassell to make a big jump too.