2022 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- We're Young, Scrappy, and Hungry

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

You're probably right. It's a generational thing underlined by TikTok. Has nothing to do with actually having basketball players worth a shit on the team. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that SJax (Gen X or Millennial don't make a shit) liked attention, was emotional, was easily riled, and probably difficult to manage. If he'd had 1M+ followers and got constant dopamine hits from going viral? I don't think he'd be as "easy" to coach as he was.

Difficult personalities are nothing new. What is new is how normalized attention-whoring has become and how many outlets there are for getting your fix. Any player with talent has grown up within it. You might have one or two kids that could buy into the culture Pop and Tim built, but even if you're lucky enough to draft them, that's not a squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I was out of town this weekend and didn't even notice this was his weekend to get inducted. What a huge moment for him, the Spurs, and San Antonio. 

My favorite memory of him might be the new, old Manu when he had a resurgence in time for the last championship. IIRC he kinda struggled with injuries early in the 2010s a bit, then came back after and took on more of a "crafty" YMCA guy since he lacked a lot of the athleticism he had a decade prior. That might have been my favorite version. Even though old-school Dunking Manu was a good one. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

slightly off topic but drawing on the spurs super fans encyclopedic knowledge base: anyone know the spurs player that had a bullet wound in his shoulder and was a very weird looking dude? maybe early 90s.

I think you are asking about Lloyd Daniels. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

slightly off topic but drawing on the spurs super fans encyclopedic knowledge base: anyone know the spurs player that had a bullet wound in his shoulder and was a very weird looking dude? maybe early 90s.

As alluded to, it was Lloyd Swee' Pea Daniels. I'm pretty sure he still had the bullet inside of him. IIRC they had another player at the time who had also been shot but the bullet had exited. They called them "leaded" and "unleaded." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from the fan club yesterday about $20 opening night tickets (Manu's jersey being hung on the rafters!)...... I'm kinda excited for the season and to see how much Devin and Keldon develop, and Sochan actually starting... but the $20 ticket email is a rough reminder, we're gonna f'ing suck and they will be struggling to give away tickets. Don't care, got mine for Moody in the spring anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1