MLB umpiring thread

shadow_operative

18 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

The last one was the closest one and the batter lost his mind. I would have wanted to see his reaction if he was batting on the 2nd video. That one was waaaayyy inside. 

I think the second one is the closest. It moves back towards the zone at the end and the catcher frames it perfectly. The third one is by far the worst. The catcher had to shift inside, couldn't even try to frame it, and was called a strike.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

It was overall frustration from watching Hernandez botch all kinds of calls (against both teams) the entire night.  That last strike call was simply the last straw for Schwarbs.

EDIT:  Ztejas said it better than me above.  I should have read the entire thread before posting.

never read the entire thread before posting. always react immediately, with zero respect or remorse. fuck everybody else and their dumbass thoughts and opinions. this is the surly way. and if you don't like it, you can get out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

never read the entire thread before posting. always react immediately, with zero respect or remorse. fuck everybody else and their dumbass thoughts and opinions. this is the surly way. and if you don't like it, you can get out. 

Thank you for bringing me to my senses.  What the hell was I thinking??

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can/do they apply that stuff retroactively to old games?  I’d be interested to know if umpiring accuracy has changed over the years as a group as well as individual umpires. 

That I do not know 

Would be great if that account added "MLB Grade" to the report. Basically it's a percentage but MLB allows 2 inches of leeway, right? I think that would be pretty educational to show people why the bad umps are still not suffering any consequences. Out of those 9 missed strike calls by Bucknor only 3, maybe 4, of them were missed according to MLB's two inches of slack. 

Edited by Huckleberry

4 minutes ago, huge said:

I want to hear the Umps explanation for whatever the fuck he was doing.

The easy way determine the way dipshit acted is to watch the demeanor/ technique used for the other 17(minimum) pitching checks were done.  Dude wanted his compliance and Bummer should have asked him to bring a ring if he’s gonna hold his hand that long.  Also the ump’s eyes…power trippin deluxe.

Ejection may have been a bit much but he essentially dropped a shoulder into the catcher's midsection. You can see the catcher gear up to throw him down hard before thinking better of it. Overzealous attempt to keep things from getting heated, imo.

In reality the runner wasn't trying to be dirty, he just couldn't decide what to do and dropped to a knee for some reason instead of sliding or stopping or trying to go around him.

Edited by Huckleberry

More fuckery in SD vs SF.

Play on the field ruled runner was out, ok no biggie it was pretty close but SD runner was vehement that he was safe so they go to the review.

Capture.JPG.504f456f830a8560c2f9189522490054.JPG

Foot on the bag, ball not in the mitt easy peasy nice and easy overturn it call him safe.  Nope, call on the field stands.

Fucking blind ass bastards.

• 2 weeks later...

Angel Hernandez alleged in a legal filing with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals that Major League Baseball manipulated its internal umpiring metrics to disadvantage minorities, thereby excluding them from becoming crew chiefs.

The filing is the latest salvo in Hernandez’s discrimination claim against MLB filed in 2017, which a lower court tossed in March 2021, though not without first acknowledging baseball had a “diversity issue.”

Hernandez claimed MLB has a history of discriminating against minority umpires, pointing out that as of the filing of his lawsuit, there had only been one minority crew chief in the league’s 150 years (Richie Garcia) — though that number has grown in the years since. There are 19 umpiring crews, each with four umpires, one of whom is a crew chief. In the appeal brief filed this week, seeking an overrule of the lower court judge’s dismissal, he also raised the argument that MLB not only looked the other way on its lack of diversity, but it altered the season-ending umpiring reports to justify this behavior.

“The District Court also failed to give appropriate weight to evidence of MLB’s disparate treatment of Mr. Hernandez, including evidence that MLB was manipulating the performance of Mr. Hernandez and other minority umpires to make their performances look worse,” the umpire argued in the court filing.

MLB during the time period covered in the complaint, 2011-16, performed midseason reviews of umpires called umpire evaluation reports (UER), and followed with year-end reviews. Hernandez said his UERs were glowing, but when it came time for his year-end review, the results did not reflect the previous positive assessments.

“[A] review of Mr. Hernandez’s Year-End Evaluations and his UERs for the years 2011-2016 reveals that MLB manipulated Mr. Hernandez’s year-end evaluations in order to make his job performance appear worse than it actually was,” he argued. “Mr. Hernandez’s Year-End Evaluations for the 2011-2016 seasons do not even come close to accurately summarizing Mr. Hernandez’s actual performance in those seasons.”

MLB did not respond when asked for comment. But while the case was active in the lower court, the league consistently denied it discriminated and said Hernandez’s failure to ascend to crew chief or get a World Series assignment was due to his lack of leadership.

“Hernandez has not demonstrated the leadership ability and situation management skills in critical, high-pressure roles on a consistent basis,” Joe Torre testified in a deposition, excerpts of which were included in court filings. At the time, Torre was MLB’s chief baseball officer, overseeing and reviewing umpires.

Herandez is a controversial umpire, at times known for missed calls and confrontations with players and managers. His lawyer, Kevin Murphy, said he would like to refute these claims with the umpire evaluation forms, but they are covered under a protective order issued by the lower court.

“I wish I wasn’t under a protective order because baseball has the statistical analysis on balls and strikes and replay,” he said. “Take this year for instance. Angel missed his first call the other day in two months. … The guy’s got an awful lot of courage. Doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t whine. He’s taking a lot of unnecessary wrongful abuse. And I just hope the Second Circuit gives us a chance to air it out in the courtroom.”

The heart of the appeal is the argument that the judge erred in ruling that because of the small sample size – both of the umpire pool and the number of minorities – statistics are not meaningful, and without them, the discrimination claims fall.

Judge Paul Oetken wrote in his opinion, “MLB recognized internally, during the period at issue in this case it employed an unfortunately low proportion of minority umpires.”  Then referring to Hernandez’s legal argument of inexorable zero, or the failure of an employer to promote or hire any minority employees  that “[i]ronically, the case for the ‘inexorable zero’ in this non-promotion case might be stronger if MLB employed a greater number of minority umpires, or if the promotion pool were large enough to lend the ‘inexorable zero’ theory more weight.”

Murphy calls this a loophole for smaller employers.

MLB now has 30 to 45 days to file its response, and then the Second Circuit will either schedule an oral argument or rule based on the briefs.

Hernandez, through his filing, acknowledged MLB has made recent strides in hiring minority crew chiefs. MLB, for the first time, promoted an African-American umpire to crew chief, Kerwin Danley; and in 2020, MLB promoted, for only the second time in its history, a Latino umpire to crew chief, Alfonso Marquez.

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

worst call of the year so far:

One of the replies was a good comment. When an umpire realizes 1-2 seconds after his usual call cadence that he completely fucked up, why doesn't he change it? Probably just pride but that umpire 100% realized right after his flinch that was a strike.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

One of the replies was a good comment. When an umpire realizes 1-2 seconds after his usual call cadence that he completely fucked up, why doesn't he change it?

Because he will get yelled at more for that than for missing the call.

Ok I’ll be that guy. Ball was caught at the belt and was off speed so it crossed the plate above the belt. That’s basically high. 

letters used to be (still is?) the defined top of the zone, but practically at the pro level it’s never been that high. Then the letters, then belly button.   Now anything above the belt might not get called. So I don’t even know that I could call this a bad miss. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Hopefully see a vid soon up, but this was called a foul tip caught for 3rd strike to end the inning but Fat ass Wendelstedt.

Siri hasn't even brought the bat around yet and catcher has the ball.

Foul tips are not a play that can be challenged.

e4c33c9db66079770c7758f86fb1d57e.jpg

• Haha 1