MLB umpiring thread

shadow_operative

16 hours ago, miguelito said:

Wow.  A foul tip into the glove is usually something that's heard more than seen, right? 

Not when you're watching the ball, especially when the ball is up high like that, you have a perfect view of it.  

That is a completely inexplicable call.

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Eddings has repeatedly been passed over for promotions, and was kept out of special assignments for years after the 2005 AJ Pierzynski incident. 

that is from a comment. Don’t have time to look, what is this one?

Ask the Astros fans.

• Rage+1 1

AJ struck out swinging in a game 2 of the 2005 ALCS, but ran to first anyway.  Eddings let him stay at first.  A pitch runner was subbed in who ended up scoring the game winning run and the White Sox went on to win 7 more games in a row in the ALCS and World Series.  It's mind numbing that he's still allowed to be an umpire.

Edited by kevwun

On 6/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, kevwun said:

AJ struck out swinging in a game 2 of the 2005 ALCS, but ran to first anyway.  Eddings let him stay at first.  A pitch runner was subbed in who ended up scoring the game winning run and the White Sox went on to win 7 more games in a row in the ALCS and World Series.  It's mind numbing that he's still allowed to be an umpire.

Weird that an ump fuckup is posted on the official mlb channel

On 6/23/2022 at 7:46 PM, WBT said:

Regardless of what the umps did, how did so many mlb players not know that was an IF fly?

Only excuse I can see for that is that it was a very late call by the 3B ump. He should have pointed up and called "Infield fly if fair!" way before he did. But he had still called it by the time it hit the ground. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:17 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t believe some dad hadn’t assaulted the guy by the end. 

On 7/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, Post Oak said:

I staunchly believe that parents should act like adults at their kids games.  However, I would be absolutely losing my mind

I've already told the story on here about when I had a strike zone like that in high school while umpiring a Pee Wee game.  

When it was over, the parents were all wanting to shake my hand and asking me if I could umpire more of their games.  

On 7/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, Beau Vine said:

I've already told the story on here about when I had a strike zone like that in high school while umpiring a Pee Wee game.  

When it was over, the parents were all wanting to shake my hand and asking me if I could umpire more of their games.  

Yeah, nobody likes a walk fest. Swing the bat, gentlemen. Yes some of those were completely unhittable but in youth baseball an umpire who consistently calls hittable pitches strikes won't actually be that unpopular.

Obviously there's a line this guy crossed by quite a bit but an umpire who gives absolutely nothing off the plate at that level is worse than one with a consistent expanded zone. In essence I'm sure we all agree and I'm sure @Beau Vine's zone wasn't actually that bad. For example, the pitches that the catcher lunged for I don't think I could call no matter the level.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't be in the runner's path until you have the ball, I believe. He should be set up just in front of the plate to receive the ball and then block the plate. Personally I think they went too far and if you set yourself up to where you will have the ball before he gets there it should be legal but it's not. It does limit the runner's ability to avoid contact, so it makes sense from that perspective.