Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

18 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, leaving prior to the GoR being termed is painful.   They keep quoting $80m, but that's just the withdraw penalty.   The rights to all T1/2 broadcasts are held by the Big 12 until 2025, that's the real kicker.  So, imagine $80m, plus no game revenue for 4 years, even if moved sooner.

You are way off here. If we pay the $80 million, then the GOR is not controlling immediately and we start getting SEC revenue share next year, which will have a higher payout than the Big 12 so the buyout will be offset by every year of greater revenue sharing we receive in the SEC. 

Realistically, the GOR may not be controlling over us even if we don’t pay the buyout, and we could very well leave the Big 12, start getting SEC revenue and challenge the remaining Big 12 schools to sue/settle with us for a number well below the 80 million number. 

Point is, we will be perfectly fine no matter what and there’s really no bad outcome to us leaving early. It just depends on how much UT wants to fight it. 

17 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, leaving prior to the GoR being termed is painful.   They keep quoting $80m, but that's just the withdraw penalty.   The rights to all T1/2 broadcasts are held by the Big 12 until 2025, that's the real kicker.  So, imagine $80m, plus no game revenue for 4 years, even if moved sooner.

That being said, I cannot imagine a scenario where you play out 4 years.   Everyone likes to say "fuck off" here, but its in the best interests of everyone to get Tech and OkSt (and likely KU/ISU) a good home.  At that point you could vote to dissolve and eradicate the buyout and the GoR.

Dates of note:

2022 - NFL Deals expire

2023 - SEC T1 moves from CBS to ESPN

2024 - Pac/B1G deals expire

2025 - B12 deals expire

2032 - SEC T2/3 deals expire

2036 - ACC deal expires

This will get settled well below the exit fee. Conferences are terrified what would happen if a GOR lawsuit actually went to court because there are serious questions if they are enforceable.

Best case is that they solve this issue ASAP because the longer it lingers the conference has to deal with the prisoners dilemma of keeping enough members to make sure there is enough members still around to collect the fee.

My guess is they settle fairly quickly for an undisclosed fee and then the concept that the GOR is binding lives to fight another day.

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

This will get settled well below the exit fee. Conferences are terrified what would happen if a GOR lawsuit actually went to court because there are serious questions if they are enforceable.

Best case is that they solve this issue ASAP because the longer it lingers the conference has to deal with the prisoners dilemma of keeping enough members to make sure there is enough members still around to collect the fee.

My guess is they settle fairly quickly for an undisclosed fee and then the concept that the GOR is binding lives to fight another day.

And Texas will have the coffers to drag this out as long as it thinks it will decrease the payout. Huge disincentives to drag this out no matter which way you look at it from all parties. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

My dude, your Sooners are involved in this too:

Love all these columnists taking one of UT's worst (if not the worst) 10 year stretches and painting the "Tech, ISU etc are better than Texas" picture.

Get fucked. If that is truly the case then those schools should be just fine and other conferences should be clamoring to have them join. Oh you mean it is a stupid overall argument and people realize these are shitty flyover schools that add jack shit in terms of TV eyeballs and any other sports value on a consistent basis? Ah that makes more sense.

The clickbait nature of all these articles is a joke.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, BigHornedLurker said:

And Texas will have the coffers to drag this out as long as it thinks it will decrease the payout. Huge disincentives to drag this out no matter which way you look at it from all parties. 

Ohh yeah. Think about how many UT law grads or firms that would volunteer to do this probono or at least at a major discount just for the bragging rights of being able to say that they got Texas out of the Big 12.

There is no way this gets drug out. It’s in everyone’s best interest to get it done in a timely manner.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Trust an Oklahoman Mizzou fan to make this a story about big bad evil Texas:

That article basically sums up why we are leaving.  All those programs in our conference doing better than us since 2009 = 0 playoff appearances.  And yet, we are the more attractive program for the SEC. 

The Big 12 is a sack of shit conference that is not relevant nationally for title contention except for OU.  End of story.  This conference blows because none of our tagalongs stepped up in our absence to give us a 2nd contender.  They all got snubbed in various ways (OSU 2011, TCU/Baylor 2014, ISU 2020). 

Edited by Js1

22 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

What the fuck is this shit? Give me one good reason to choose any other conference? It was that trip to Rutgers you were looking forward to, right? Or Minnesota? Wisconsin? I hear winters there are delightful. Maybe all the late night games on the west coast, when everyone is watching? Maybe you miss playing Colorado? They still have a football team, right?

One big one would be an easier road to the Playoffs. I've been in the Big10 corner. I honestly have no interest in the Pac12.

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

God this victim mentality is wearing thin and its been less than a week. Aren't you just admitting to being an inferior school if its this hard for them to find a landing spot? Any other school would have done the same.

Hey, Texas and Oklahoma, WE HAVE VALUE, SIRS! - the orphan 8 (while being in the Big 12)

Fuck, we are horrible, no one is going to want us, we are totally and completely without any value standing on our own - the orphan 8 (and of course, reality)

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

I'm really hoping for John Sharp to be sent packing.  Really, really am.

I feel like aggy will make some administrators head roll. I saw speculation that the school president was notified of this months ago, so if the natives want blood they may be after her. I agree, Sharp getting the shitcan would be the cherry on top of all of this (outside of Baylor to a G5).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Texas/OU are moving because a new TV deal is going to be hot garbage for the Big 12.  There were rumors they asked ESPN/Fox for a new deal last summer, and they told them to fuck off.  The reports of a 75% loss in value are absolutely true.  Nobody gives a fuck about the Big12 unless Texas or OU is playing.  

The fact that it ended up being the SEC is probably more OU than Texas.  I don't think Texas gives a shit (they could do either), but OU's lack of AAU status probably forced them to the SEC.  They had to be sure they had a landing spot, and not a repeat of prior realignment attempts.  Worst thing would be to focus on B1G then get shut down, and SEC say no because they don't want to be the second choice.  Both teams have negotiated with the SEC/B1G/Pac10 before.  They know what the offers would look like.  

Timing was also chosen by the parties because there's no way for the Leg to interfere, especially since Abbott is governor.  The focus is on the voter bill, not on college football.  

The leak by Aggie was probably expected.  

We will be in the SEC in 2022.  Big12 is dead.  Texas and OU media rights are not around in 2025 for the new deal, and no big fish is going to want to save this sinking ship. They'll be lucky if any games are shown on Fox Sports SW after 2025.  And adding a bunch of shit teams is not going to improve the media deal. Any remaining Big12 teams will get shit timeslots on shit channels, and a huge reduction in payout.  No penalty money Texas or OU pay them will make up for it.  Those with any value will bail ASAP.  That's the end of the conference. 

I don't second guess the past decisions because the landscape has changed so much.  This is the right time to make the move, and I like that we are being proactive as fuck.  Now we need to get our NIL shit together.

My guess is we end up with 4 power conferences of 16 teams when all is said and done.  Where it goes from there depends on what the media landscape looks like in 10 years.  I can see a NFL light scenario for Football in 10 years.  But that assumes that the current media trend continues.  Things have changed so much since 2010 and even 2000.  Hard to say.  But I do think the SEC is the best spot to be in to navigate those waters in the future.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I feel like aggy will make some administrators head roll. I saw speculation that the school president was notified of this months ago, so if the natives want blood they may be after her. I agree, Sharp getting the shitcan would be the cherry on top of all of this (outside of Baylor to a G5).

She was just hired a few months ago. That wouldn’t be a good look. A&M is mentioned in the same breath as UH or Sam at the community college I teach at and our focus groups show it’s because they know they don’t need very high grades to get accepted to any of those 3 universities.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pancho said:

She was just hired a few months ago. That wouldn’t be a good look. A&M is mentioned in the same breath as UH or Sam at the community college I teach at and our focus groups show it’s because they know they don’t need very high grades to get accepted to any of those 3 universities.

Meaning its probably the next stupid move they'll make 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well I am not going to say fuck the BIG XII since I remember what things looked like in the SWC before we joined the BIG XII and all us olds were so damn excited when it happened. Instead I will say the following:

1. Thanks to the BIG XII for making the 1998 to 2009 run possible.

2. Thanks for the good times Nebraska. It was fun beating you in 1996, I had a great time tailgating with you guys and thanks for giving Ricky a standing ovation. Also, thanks Nebraska fans for teaching us how to be a classy fan base since the pettiness of the small Texas schools and aggy had rubbed off over the years. Some of the younger Texas fans now have the same pettiness since they have not known anything else once Nebraska left.

3. Fuck you KST for beating us even when you were not suppose too.

4. Love Colorado for some good times while they lasted. I still blame Mack and not Colorado for 2001.

5. Once again fuck the SWC Texas schools for fucking us in the 2009 voting. We have been trying to leave you guys since the SWC days.

Here we come SEC, I feel no pride in being part of the SEC. It is a business arrangement and the benefits of joining are money, keeping the OU partnership, getting Arky back, having actual adult partners and pissing off aggy. Maybe some day I will feel good about the SEC like I felt about becoming the BIG XII but I may be to old to ever have it happen. This it the best move out there other than the one I wished for earlier so no I am not advocating PAC, BIG, ACC or staying. May another run get going out of this move like the one we took advantage of in the BIG XII.

Nebraska fans classy? Lol only when they were winning. It didn't take long for them to turn into tech fans the minute they stopped dominating everyone.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Depending on which theory of who knew what you believe.  Sharp knew (according to Finebaum when he owned Lucci) but was told he could not tell anyone, especially his AD.  If this is the case, the aggie faithful want Sharp's head.....Which is truly sad because despite what you may think of the man, he has done a fantastic job for the A&M system.

If Sharp knew and did not say anything, he was doing so to protect the university from the idiocy of the others in power and its alums.  He exerted his best efforts, yet still the idiots showed their butt hurt asses.  Again if he knew, he should be thanked for keeping it secret lest aggy coming off looking stupider than they did.  And we all know that there is no floor to how stupid they can look.

• Hook 'Em 2

If Sharp knew and did not say anything, he was doing so to protect the university from the idiocy of the others in power and its alums.  He exerted his best efforts, yet still the idiots showed their butt hurt asses.  Again if he knew, he should be thanked for keeping it secret lest aggy coming off looking stupider than they did.  And we all know that there is no floor to how stupid they can look.

Would sharp getting fired affect us in any way?

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

She just became President on 6/1/21

SIAP , check out item 2
siap, check out item 2, someone, guessing Bjork or Sharp is gone 
bjork.thumb.jpg.5ceca9fd436e96e49f70c5dc1add00d4.jpg

Depending on who and what was passed on to the press, both could be in trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Sharpe was under an NDA during the last few weeks/months, and he slipped it to the AD, who passed it to the Chronicle. Both could be gone. But that’s hard to prove without a trail. FOIA request anyone?

If Bjork overheard something and passed it on, I don’t think he was under the tent at anytime for SEC business of this magnitude. He could easily be the scapegoat here.

Either way, we may need more popcorn.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigHornedLurker said:

It means they know who leaked this, forced it to happen sooner and more forcibly than expected, and simultaneously causing the most embarrassing melt of all time that will likely affect recruiting through this major change . 

Edit : Heads will roll 

I think it means they will identify who at Aggy knew about the discussions, signed NDA agreements to not discuss or disclose the information, and then acted as responsible adults and professionals by complying with the NDA and process…and fire those people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Ohh yeah. Think about how many UT law grads or firms that would volunteer to do this probono or at least at a major discount just for the bragging rights of being able to say that they got Texas out of the Big 12.

Should work out great, we'll end up paying an exit fee of treefiddy, but Eskimo Hut gets the rights to the Longhorns name.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

This....  Sharp has his critics on here and elsewhere, but he is not prototypical aggy stupid.    He came from the days when Texas politics involved smoked filled.  

Someone like Dollar Bill Byrne would have gone ape chit from the get go.   He couldn't and wouldn't keep his mouth shut.

25 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You are way off here. If we pay the $80 million, then the GOR is not controlling immediately and we start getting SEC revenue share next year, which will have a higher payout than the Big 12 so the buyout will be offset by every year of greater revenue sharing we receive in the SEC. 

Realistically, the GOR may not be controlling over us even if we don’t pay the buyout, and we could very well leave the Big 12, start getting SEC revenue and challenge the remaining Big 12 schools to sue/settle with us for a number well below the 80 million number. 

Point is, we will be perfectly fine no matter what and there’s really no bad outcome to us leaving early. It just depends on how much UT wants to fight it. 

That's not how it works.   There are two distinctly different financial constructs:

1 - Withdraw penalty (two years of revenue)

2 - Grant of Rights until 2025.

Now, per the obvious, yes legally these can be negotiated down.   The point was there is more than one issue to resolve and that the easiest way to resolve it is to get the other teams to dissolve the conference, then they both go away.    If the 8 stay together they can withhold revenue for 2 years to pay the buyout and make it difficult for the SEC to add games to their contract until the term expires.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Speaking of the Pendejo....

HAHAHAHA Fucking Looch.  Even when confronted with pipe hitting evidence that school he so dearly shills for has no brand identify worth a shit he can do nothing but continue to promote that absolute certainty by hiding underneath Alabama's skirt.

Take the loss pussy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Depending on who and what was passed on to the press, both could be in trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Sharpe was under an NDA during the last few weeks/months, and he slipped it to the AD, who passed it to the Chronicle. Both could be gone. But that’s hard to prove without a trail. FOIA request anyone?

If Bjork overheard something and passed it on, I don’t think he was under the tent at anytime for SEC business of this magnitude. He could easily be the scapegoat here.

Either way, we may need more popcorn.

Doubt there was any "overhearing."  Someone told BJork.  Question is did he go rogue on Wednesday or was this a plan? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Which do you think is breached first in this realignment.

B1G allows a school without an AAU designation

or

Pac12 allows a school with a religious affiliation

Nebraska was booted from the AAU prior to joining the B1G.  (AAU voted in April 2011, Nebraska joined B1G in June 2012.)

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

SIAP , check out item 2

siap, check out item 2, someone, guessing Bjork or Sharp is gone 

bjork.jpg

This reads like Charlie Kelly wrote it in one of the “it’s always sunny” episodes he’s trying to be a lawyer. Just idiotic dribble with legalish words that a good lawyer would never use in that manner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, austintiger said:

Nebraska fans classy? Lol only when they were winning. It didn't take long for them to turn into tech fans the minute they stopped dominating everyone.

Well I was there in 2009 for the BIG XII championship game and I did not run into any Nebraska fans that acted like you are stating. Whining fans on this board after they left, Tom's and Bo Pelini's character does not equal most Nebraska fans. Folks on the old board that interacted with Nebraska fans consistently said it was great. I have yet to meet one that said going to Ohio State was fun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1