Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

19 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I don't notice anything when I watch college football that's less enjoyable than it was twenty years ago, but in the back of my mind I know the same four fucking teams are going to be in the playoffs.  That aspect does temper my enjoyment of it. 

Where is Abe Saperstein when we really need him?

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Feels like everyone is Bama's rival.  I'd throw Florida and LSU in there as well.

I'm pretty sure if Alabama had it's way they'd probably still pick Auburn as their number one rival, but their other two picks would be Vanderbilt and Kentucky just for a competitive advantage. 

13 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

am I correct in assuming that we have no vote on our SEC positioning or division, or Rival or any of this? Strange take on the idea that people feared the big bad Longhorns would come in and take over....

If we don't play OU, pigs, and aggy annually, we leave for the Big 10 in 2030.

- CDC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, n64ra said:

If we don't play OU, pigs, and aggy annually, we leave for the Big 10 in 2030.

- CDC

I'd love to play both the ags and pigs every year, but if it only works out to every couple of years, I'd be okay with that.

Dirt burglars, on the other hand, are a mandatory annual game.

• Hook 'Em 2

aggy are desperate to get corndog as 1 of their 3 but they may not get a say in the matter especially after all the bullshit they've pulled in the past 2 years

immovable objects that are neutral-site games changes the dynamic...  cocktail party is the only other neutral site game that is a given.  aggypig @ deathstar is completely expendable and aggy would be enraptured to drop it to go home-home with a mississippi school

georgia, florida, 0u & texas should all pick first because these 4 lose a home game to neutral sites

i have no issue with rotating v. aggy

wasting a game every other year at nuremburg defeats the purpose of the move

but the single most important outcome of sec going from 7 to 9 league games is aggy losing their fcs safety net

cake icing would be aggy having to play texas, 0u and pig every year, and no corndog

no division to win every 20 years, same pain as a probable pod

with no fcs bailout, they are looking at 6-6 every fucking year

forever

Zwerneman has been consistent since he broke the story. Aggy and Texas will play every year. I know this isn't groundbreaking, but the saber rattling in May on both sides was utter click bait bullshit. 

Saban has been consistent in his support of 9 conference games. I know he's not God, but what he says matters in the SEC. If the conference truly is split on the 8 or 9 game conference schedule, I think Saban/Sankey/ESPN can easily pick up as many votes as they need. 

SEC members will also look at the money the Big Ten will get in their next TV contract, and the resistance to 9 conference games will evaporate. The extra game makes a big difference in the quality of conference network inventory. 

9 conference games would also keep the divisional model in play. It feels like that's the preferred model right now. 

As I said in a previous post, I could see Sankey requiring 1 Power 5 OOC game, and telling members do whatever you want with the other 2 OOC games. I assume most schools, especially Aggy, will schedule FCS schools with the remaining 2 games. Every member would be wise to make certain the 2 games are at home. 

I don't want Texas to play Rice and UTSA every year, but the 2 games most be at home. Non-negotiable. Some annual mix of Rice, UTSA, UTEP, Texas State, UNT, ULM, and ULL would make sense. Please laugh any Big 12 team out of Moncrief if they propose a home and home series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't want Texas to play Rice and UTSA every year, but the 2 games most be at home. Non-negotiable. Some annual mix of Rice, UTSA, UTEP, Texas State, UNT, ULM, and ULL would make sense. Please laugh any Big 12 team out of Moncrief if they propose a home and home series. 

Any future games with Tech, BU, UH, etc. need to be 2 for 1.

ULM? Woof

Joe Cook:

IRVING, Texas -- This week, the Big 12 Conference is holding its annual meetings with athletic directors and university presidents at the Four Seasons Resort and Club at Las Colinas. Inside Texas caught up with Texas vice president and athletic director Chris Del Conte as he was walking out of Wednesday’s meeting. Dressed in a UT polo and khaki shorts (while other ADs were wearing sport coats and slacks), Del Conte was en route to Scottsdale, Ariz. to watch the Texas Longhorns’ men’s golf team compete for a fourth national title versus the Arizona State Sun Devils.

Big 12 presidents, including University of Texas president Jay Hartzell, will join their athletic directors in the Metroplex on Thursday for more meetings.

A few quotes from the Longhorn athletic director.

Inside Texas: You’re on the way to Arizona, what can you say about the season the men’s golf program has had?

Chris Del Conte: “It’s exciting. For (men's golf head coach) John (Fields) to get there, right now they’re playing for the national championship, it’s pretty awesome. The whole spring season has been fantastic. Think about track and field, softball, baseball, tennis single and doubles, it’s just been a phenomenal spring.”

Inside Texas: What were topics of the discussion today during the Big 12 athletic director meetings?

Chris Del Conte: “Nothing heavy. Just normal, what’s-going-on with stuff. There was nothing that was earth-shattering.”

Inside Texas: No discussion about any dates for teams joining or teams leaving?

Chris Del Conte: “No, just normal stuff."

Inside Texas: What will the presidents talk about?

Chris Del Conte: “I think just normal conference stuff. I don’t see any surprises.”

Inside Texas: Was there anything that forced you and Oklahoma Sooners athletic director Joe Castiglione to leave the room prior to discussion?

Chris Del Conte: “It was just normal conference business, here’s what’s happening. Nothing important.”

Inside Texas: The conference, Texas, and Oklahoma are still holding publicly to the 2025 timeline?

Chris Del Conte: “Didn’t have any of that discussion. It was just here’s what happening.”

Inside Texas will try to catch up with Hartzell following the presidents' meetings tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Any future games with Tech, BU, UH, etc. need to be 2 for 1.

ULM? Woof

It's an interesting thought for sure. Texas, OU, Florida and Georgia are in a unique spot in that they all have to play one neutral site game a year with their primary rival. That takes away a marquee home game every year. 

Texas could play only 3 SEC home games at DKR and home team at the Cotton Bowl every other year in the 9 conference game model. I hope they work something out where Texas/OU is the away team in years that they only have 4 SEC home games. 

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

but the single most important outcome of sec going from 7 to 9 league games is aggy losing their fcs safety net

cake icing would be aggy having to play texas, 0u and pig every year, and no corndog

no division to win every 20 years, same pain as a probable pod

with no fcs bailout, they are looking at 6-6 every fucking year

forever

The best would be them getting Texas, OU and LSU. That would be by far the toughest yearly draw in the conference.

13 hours ago, bullet said:

A red white and blue football and an 8 point touchdown?

Eight points, sure. But it has to be from The Spot, which is moved by scantily-clad young women from time to time. With a nod to our LGBTQ+ friends, water boys may get involved in surreptitious Spot-lifting, as they are passing out bottles of delicious, refreshing Original Recipe Double Jolt Coca Cola (availablr to fans at any concession stand.

Games that won't happen annually if it's only an 8-game schedule:

Texas-Texas A&M
Texas-Arkansas
Georgia-Auburn
Alabama-Tennessee
Texas A&M-Arkansas
Oklahoma-Mizzou
LSU-Ole Miss
Tennessee-Kentucky

Some are bigger games than others, but 8 games would be a big fucking whiff from this new conference.

The article above states South Carolina, Kentucky, and Arkansas are in favor of the 8 conference games. You better believe Aggy wants 8. They can all but guarantee 8 home games with the current model. Vandy needs as many easy wins as possible. Same for Mizzou. Leach has a long history of feasting on cupcakes. And there’s your 7. 

The article also states Bama and Florida as being in favor of 9 games. Auburn and Georgia haven’t really shown their hands publicly on the subject. 

Feels like peak offseason news. This stuff won’t get hashed out until Texas and OU are full members. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The article above states South Carolina, Kentucky, and Arkansas are in favor of the 8 conference games. You better believe Aggy wants 8. They can all but guarantee 8 home games with the current model. Vandy needs as many easy wins as possible. Same for Mizzou. Leach has a long history of feasting on cupcakes. And there’s your 7. 

The article also states Bama and Florida as being in favor of 9 games. Auburn and Georgia haven’t really shown their hands publicly on the subject. 

Feels like peak offseason news. This stuff won’t get hashed out until Texas and OU are full members. 

I think there’s going to be schools supporting the 9 conference games in public but behind closed doors are going to be hesitant to lose an extra home cupcake game to increase their win total. I would not be surprised if we end up with two divisions instead of the obvious choice of a 3-6-6 schedule that all the fans and players would love. 

57 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

I think there’s going to be schools supporting the 9 conference games in public but behind closed doors are going to be hesitant to lose an extra home cupcake game to increase their win total. I would not be surprised if we end up with two divisions instead of the obvious choice of a 3-6-6 schedule that all the fans and players would love. 

Agreed. I think the divisions stay. The hold up would be the Alabama schools would have to move the  SEC East. Auburn would love it. Bama I’m not so sure. They might lose the LSU game. No guaranteed game in Texas every 2 years. Not ideal. 

If ou and Texas ever do actually start in the secsecsec it is my understanding that we will get a smaller share of the TV money than other members, but always as much as we would have gotten in the Big 12.....My question is.....how long will this crappy arrangement last?

54 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

If ou and Texas ever do actually start in the secsecsec it is my understanding that we will get a smaller share of the TV money than other members, but always as much as we would have gotten in the Big 12.....My question is.....how long will this crappy arrangement last?

The arrangement you describe is the rumored tradeoff for ESPN or the SEC (can't remember which) fronting us and OU the B12 exit fee for an early departure, the temporarily reduced SEC payout (with floor being what we each would have gotten in B12) being the quid pro quo. So, the payout reduction wouldn't be a thing if we waited and joined in 2025 (we would get equal share of SEC payout). If we do leave early under that arrangement, the payout would presumably last until the delta between a full SEC payout vs. what we actually received totaled $75MM. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, derpyhorndog said:

The arrangement you describe is the rumored tradeoff for ESPN or the SEC (can't remember which) fronting us and OU the B12 exit fee for an early departure, the temporarily reduced SEC payout (with floor being what we each would have gotten in B12) being the quid pro quo. So, the payout reduction wouldn't be a thing if we waited and joined in 2025 (we would get equal share of SEC payout). If we do leave early under that arrangement, the payout would presumably last until the delta between a full SEC payout vs. what we actually received totaled $75MM. 

i like the idea of this, but it would take 5 years to pay back roughly 80 million.  if we can pay it we need to just pay it and be damned what oklahoma does.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gidnik said:

i like the idea of this, but it would take 5 years to pay back roughly 80 million.  if we can pay it we need to just pay it and be damned what oklahoma does.  

Time value of money would suggest the opposite (taking the no-interest loan) from a purely monetary perspective, but definitely understand your sentiment and tend to agree from the standpoint of optics and not being beholden to third party(ies) for 4-5 years. 

Welp, Josh Pate thinks the divisions are going away. I haven’t really read that anywhere, but he stated it as fact. Who knows? 

He says it’s the 7-1 model vs the 6-3 model. The 7-1 model would be 8 conference games, rotating 7 games with one permanent rival. The 6-3 model would be 9 conference games, rotating 6 games, 3 permanent rivals.

He also stated in the 7-1 model that OU would be our permanent rival. Well, duh. 

Pate supports the 6-3 model because Texas playing Aggy is a no brainer, and to keep the Bama- Tennessee rivalry in place. I assume Auburn is in support to keep their annual game with Georgia. It’s critical for their recruiting footprint. 

I of course support the 6-3 model. Aggy, OU, and Piggy would be our permanent rivals with 6 rotating games through the SEC should be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd guess we end up with a 3-5 model.  The 8 game crowd gets what they want.  The rivalry games get played annually.  Everyone still sees everyone else in the conference more often than happens now b/c of the rotation. 

Maybe this then leads to a push to formalize OOC games/series to offset the lost 9th conference game.  There are a lot of potential ACC and Big 12 rivalry games that SEC schools could play.  

58 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Why is 2-7 not a thing. We’d get blow u and aggy every year and still get 9 games

How would they determine what non rival you’d play in back to back years and how would that rotate in a fair way without overburdening a team with an unfair difficult schedule, or giving a team an extra high profile home game ($).  It’s more trouble than it’s worth for the majority.

If Pate is correct, I think the 6-3 model wins out eventually. Only the small schools and Aggy support the 8 conference game model. Money and allowing them to play 2 FCS teams should do the trick. 

OU, Aggy, and Piggy + 6 SEC conference games should make for a very good home schedule. Piggy or Aggy every year at DKR, plus 3-4 SEC opponents. Maybe night games come back at DKR. The SEC Network really emphasizes their Saturday night game. 

The 2024 schedule could look like this: 

Colorado State 

Michigan 

UTSA 

OU 

Aggy 

Piggy 

6 SEC games 

Yes. Yes please. Please God, give us a competitive football team. 

I think the SEC is going to force feed the Texas game down Aggy's throat. Even Bjork has conceded that it's happening. 

Aggy going to swallow hard - as is their turdition - and resume the game.  EspnU calling their demand for first home game the ultimate little brother move.

It's also probably why they emptied the wallet for this year's class.

1 minute ago, Poolflood said:

Aggy going to swallow hard - as is their turdition - and resume the game.  EspnU calling their demand for first home game the ultimate little brother move.

It's also probably why they emptied the wallet for this year's class.

I think IT predicted exactly this when Zwerneman broke the story. 

I wonder what Aggy is working in the behind the scenes. I doubt they want to play OU every year. It gives OU another game in Texas, adds nothing for them in recruiting, and their history against the Sooners is abysmal. 

I think Aggy's worst nightmare is 3 permanent rivals of Texas, OU, and Piggy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Pate is correct, I think the 6-3 model wins out eventually. Only the small schools and Aggy support the 8 conference game model. Money and allowing them to play 2 FCS teams should do the trick. 

OU, Aggy, and Piggy + 6 SEC conference games should make for a very good home schedule. Piggy or Aggy every year at DKR, plus 3-4 SEC opponents.

If you exclude aggy/pig we’d only get 3 other SEC games at home.  Oklahoma being at a neutral site makes our schedule easy (same for UF/UGA).

1 neutral site rivalry game

1 home rivalry game

1 away rivalry game

3 other SEC home games

3 other SEC away games

2 OOC home games

1 OOC away game

6 home, 5 away, and Cotton Bowl

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

How would they determine what non rival you’d play in back to back years and how would that rotate in a fair way without overburdening a team with an unfair difficult schedule, or giving a team an extra high profile home game ($).  It’s more trouble than it’s worth for the majority.

simple......they would schedule so that aggy only plays Georgia every 9 years like they do now...

UT;  OU, Arky, aggy
aggy:  UT, LSU, MSU
Arky:  UT, Mizzou, LSU
OU:  UT, Mizzou, Florida
Mizzou:  OU, Arky, Kentucky
LSU:  Ole Miss, aggy, Arky
Ole Miss:  LSU, MSU, Auburn
MSU:  Ole Miss, Bama, aggy
Bama:  Auburn, Tennessee, MSU
Auburn:  Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss
Georgia:  Florida, Auburn, S. Carolina
Tennessee: Bama, Kentucky, Vandy
Florida:  Georgia, Oklahoma, S. Carolina
S. Carolina:  Georgia, Vandy, Florida
Kentucky:  Vandy, Tennessee, Mizzou
Vandy:  Tennessee, Kentucky, S. Carolina

I could go for something like this.  It preserves most of the important rivalry games.  Everyone has at least one permanent opponent that their fanbase would consider either a rival or a marquee opponent.  Nobody has three blue bloods annually.  The biggest oddball game would be OU-Florida but that's a "made for TV" game.  You lose some annual SEC games in this trade-off but that was always unavoidable.

If it's an 8 game schedule, then you rotate five... and that gets you through the rest of the SEC, home and away, once every five years.  The 9 game slate gets you through everyone once every four years.  My guess is that the SEC ends up playing 8 and taking less money.  They've always been willing to make that trade-off and it's not like they won't be swimming in money either way.  Their lower level brands get boosted by the extra OOC win and it's easier for everyone with a permanent OOC rival to schedule that game when there is extra scheduling flexibility.  Maybe Disney helps Mizzou get Kansas on the schedule permanently, OU playing Bedlam, etc.    

If it’s a 9 game SEC schedule, I think OU is in kind of a shitty spot if they keep Bedlam going. That’s their marquee OOC game for generations at least. 

If Georgia Tech and FSU didn’t suck, I could see Georgia and Florida being less gung ho about 9 conference games. 

Texas scheduled their futures schedule with a 9 game conference model in mind. Drop Ohio State out of spite, and I’m good. 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If it’s a 9 game SEC schedule, I think OU is in kind of a shitty spot if they keep Bedlam going. That’s their marquee OOC game for generations at least. 

If Georgia Tech and FSU didn’t suck, I could see Georgia and Florida being less gung ho about 9 conference games. 

Texas scheduled their futures schedule with a 9 game conference model in mind. Drop Ohio State out of spite, and I’m good. 

I don't see how it goes to nine games. Like you say, OU probably wants to keep Bedlam going. USC, UGA, and UF have in-state rivalries going. Even UK and Louisville have played annually since 1994 (minus 2020). Texas and TTU have agreed in principal for an annual football game. With over a third of the league set up this way, it'd be a lot of bitching to overcome and for what benefit? The SEC is already viewed as the best conference. The other 10 schools don't need a ninth game. Hell, I'd tell Mizzou to start scheduling KU to join the club for fan desired match up. (Okay, maybe the UT-TTU one isn't fan desired on both sides.)

Edited by n64ra

4 minutes ago, n64ra said:

I don't see how it goes to nine games. Like you say, OU probably wants to keep Bedlam going. USC, UGA, and UF have in-state rivalries going. Even UK and Louisville have played annually since 1994 (minus 2020). Texas and TTU have agreed in principal for an annual football game. With over a third of the league set up this way, it'd be a lot of bitching to overcome and for what benefit? The SEC is already viewed as the best conference. The other 10 schools don't need a ninth game. Hell, I'd tell Mizzou to start scheduling KU to join the club for fan desired match up. (Okay, maybe the UT-TTU one isn't fan desired on both sides.)

Texas hasn't signed any with Tech, yet. The media seemed to believe Hocutt was over his skis. Namely the 20-25 year commitment comment. 

Florida has publicly stated that they support a 9 game conference schedule. 

I think TV will drive the bus as it always does. ESPN probably wants 9 for a larger inventory of games. The SEC members will want it for more money.

The Big Ten has made 9 work. I don't see it being a big deal. 

Texas hasn't signed any with Tech, yet. The media seemed to believe Hocutt was over his skis. Namely the 20-25 year commitment comment. 

I fail to see how playing Tech annually benefits UT. I'd rather see the in-state OOC rotate among the former SWCs, including Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, UH, etc. The Big 12 never sold UT vs Tech as a big time "rivalry" after aggy left. 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, oldhorn2 said:

That's not going to happen.  Mizzou and A&M got basically a full share.

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I fail to see how playing Tech annually benefits UT. I'd rather see the in-state OOC rotate among the former SWCs, including Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, UH, etc. The Big 12 never sold UT vs Tech as a big time "rivalry" after aggy left. 

Yeah feels like UT admin humoring Tech, so they don’t make a bigger fuss in the legislature. 

I’d do a 2 home games, 1 in Lubbock every decade. I’m not sure Tech would agree to that. 

Lubbock gets a bad rap. It’s a fun trip if you’re a  student. Their home crowd is brutal. Sooner State Fair level shittiness. 

Fort Worth is great, but I’m not driving up there to watch us lose. 

Waco. Haha. 

I’ve heard reasonably good things at about Ames, but I’m not driving to Iowa. 

Almost every SEC road trip is more appealing with the exceptions of Mizzou and MS State. 

I think it would be really cool to rent a RV and go to every SEC road baseball game one year. Great way to see all the campuses and ballparks. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lubbock gets a bad rap. It’s a fun trip if you’re a  student. Their home crowd is brutal. Sooner State Fair level shittiness. 

Fort Worth is great, but I’m not driving up there to watch us lose. 

Waco. Haha. 

I’ve heard reasonably good things at about Ames, but I’m not driving to Iowa. 

Almost every SEC road trip is more appealing with the exceptions of Mizzou and MS State. 

I think it would be really cool to rent a RV and go to every SEC road baseball game one year. Great way to see all the campuses and ballparks. 

ames is the only one i didnt hate.  but i did hate it in november.