Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I wonder what’s Aggy’s ideal 3 permanent rivals? If they put their money where their mouth is, it’d be Bama, LSU, and Texas. It’s not far fetched. You’d think Bama and LSU would want to keep playing games in Texas regularly. 

I’ve seen some of their dumb ass turdition arguments to keep South Carolina on the schedule every year. Those losers are always chasing easy wins. I hope Rattler runs all over them this season. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wonder what’s Aggy’s ideal 3 permanent rivals? If they put their money where their mouth is, it’d be Bama, LSU, and Texas. It’s not far fetched. You’d think Bama and LSU would want to keep playing games in Texas regularly. 

I’ve seen some of their dumb ass turdition arguments to keep South Carolina on the schedule every year. Those losers are always chasing easy wins. I hope Rattler runs all over them this season. 

probably us, piggy, and lsu from what ive seen. 

Gut feeling that there's more to the "We might do our own playoff" than just pressuring the Alliance on the playoff contract and NCAA reform.  I think the end game is a 32, 36, or maybe 40 school SECAA breaking away from the NCAA.  11 or 12 game conf schedule, maybe 1 outside game to maintain old rivalries with the left behinds, or maybe a total separation.

usc, ucla, asu, oregon, wash
nd
fsu, clem, unc, uva
penn st, oh st, mich, wisc, neb 

Gets you to 31.  No obvious 32nd and too many factors to say for sure if they go for just 1 more, 5, or 9.  Do the $$$ max if they add more flagships of major markets/states, or keep it at 32 for competitiveness?  Do all these power programs demand some cannon fodder to avoid more losing records?  Western schools want a few more Pac neighbors?  Any basketball blue bloods worth it?  BigTen contracts suggest the money may say add more B1G than just the 5 blue bloods.  OTOH, because so many people are from somewhere else in the major metro areas, I don't think it really requires a local school like Rutgers, MD, IL, or Cal.  NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, and SF are going to watch the college pro league regardless.

Might have a shot:

Iowa, IL, Mich St, Rutgers, MD, MN, IN, KS, VT, CO, Utah, Stan/Cal, Duke. 

11 hours ago, n64ra said:

I don't see how it goes to nine games. Like you say, OU probably wants to keep Bedlam going. USC, UGA, and UF have in-state rivalries going. Even UK and Louisville have played annually since 1994 (minus 2020). Texas and TTU have agreed in principal for an annual football game.

Texas hasn’t agreed to play Tech.  I assume we will but not annually. I could see them replacing Florida or Georgia on out OOC schedule sometime  2028-2031.

OU has .800 winning percentage against Okie St and .720 against Mizzou. They’ll survive playing OSU as an OOC rival.

9 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I fail to see how playing Tech annually benefits UT. I'd rather see the in-state OOC rotate among the former SWCs, including Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, UH, etc. The Big 12 never sold UT vs Tech as a big time "rivalry" after aggy left. 

I see no benefit in playing them outside of a bowl game.  Never again with Baylor (rape) or Houston (bleachers and throwing a fit about trying to start a campus there). I understand playing nice with Tech but that should be irregular.  Tech home and home once a decade. Rice 2 for 1 twice a decade (they are like our Navy/ND game).

8 hours ago, bullet said:

That's not going to happen.  Mizzou and A&M got basically a full share.

They didn’t get an interest free $80million loan.  If we take that (not sure we will unless it’s for appearances to help Oklahoma’s pride) then that fine if that’s just how we repay them. I bet UTIMCO could find use for a 2 year interest free $80 million windfall.

I think the difference is that each team would have different rivals, whereas a "pod" would presumably have four teams in each pod where each team has the same rivals.
For example, a "pod" would be something like: Texas, OU, Arkansas, Missouri.
Whereas the suggested 3-6 schedule could have each of those teams with a different collection of rivals.

The missing point here is no divisions
Therefore, unpodlike

my schedule switches between nights and days every 9 weeks and friday was my last day on days for a while and i was really bored and  went back and reread every page from 60 on.  what a fantastic 2 or 3 weeks that was.  

Didn’t we lose like 15000 posts from this gem following the Shaggy/Surly transition? IIRC the first few thousand posts dealt with Clemson and FSU to the Big 12 lol

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas hasn't signed any with Tech, yet. The media seemed to believe Hocutt was over his skis. Namely the 20-25 year commitment comment. 

Florida has publicly stated that they support a 9 game conference schedule. 

I think TV will drive the bus as it always does. ESPN probably wants 9 for a larger inventory of games. The SEC members will want it for more money.

The Big Ten has made 9 work. I don't see it being a big deal. 

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Texas hasn’t agreed to play Tech.  I assume we will but not annually. I could see them replacing Florida or Georgia on out OOC schedule sometime  2028-2031.

OU has .800 winning percentage against Okie St and .720 against Mizzou. They’ll survive playing OSU as an OOC rival.

I see no benefit in playing them outside of a bowl game.  Never again with Baylor (rape) or Houston (bleachers and throwing a fit about trying to start a campus there). I understand playing nice with Tech but that should be irregular.  Tech home and home once a decade. Rice 2 for 1 twice a decade (they are like our Navy/ND game).

They didn’t get an interest free $80million loan.  If we take that (not sure we will unless it’s for appearances to help Oklahoma’s pride) then that fine if that’s just how we repay them. I bet UTIMCO could find use for a 2 year interest free $80 million windfall.

You guys may want to check what in principal means. Here, I'll help you - "as a general idea or plan, although the details are not yet established or clear"

11 minutes ago, n64ra said:

You guys may want to check what in principal means. Here, I'll help you - "as a general idea or plan, although the details are not yet established or clear"

Well you misspelled “in principle” esquire. Thanks for enlightening us. You’ll probably blame it on that pesky auto correct, but l’ll pass on your legal services. 

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well you misspelled “in principle” esquire. Thanks for enlightening us. You’ll probably blame it on that pesky auto correct, but l’ll pass on your legal services. 

No pesky auto-correct. It's Sports Illustrated.

"the two schools agreed in principal to play year non-conference matchups upon the Longhorns exit for the SEC."

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/texas-and-texas-tech-agree-to-annual-non-conference-matchup-post-longhorns-sec-exit

Good catch. You can pass the correction on to Matt.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep, pretty much what I expected, all the little programs support 8, for right now: 

https://www.on3.com/news/to-vote-or-not-to-vote-the-sec-is-still-split-on-future-schedule-models-at-spring-meetings/

8 just seems so stupid in a 16 team conference, it was bad enough with 14 but even worse now.

• Hook 'Em 2

I would suppose that Tceh - and a few others - might want to consider whether it's worth while to try to squeeze a few extra megabucks of buyout from Texas and 0U, or to have a game with one or the other every year or two... or, who knows, get that extra payday and never play either one again in any sport, barring playoffs and the like. Pick one.

I could care less if we ever play TT again.  I'm sure we will, but why?  Better to play TCU, SMU, or Rice because there's at least recruiting and culture in those places. Well, there's culture in Lubbock if you miss the smell of dirt and dust in the air.

2 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

I could care less if we ever play TT again.  I'm sure we will, but why?  Better to play TCU, SMU, or Rice because there's at least recruiting and culture in those places. Well, there's culture in Lubbock if you miss the smell of dirt and dust in the air.

How much less could you care?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

If we're in the SEC we won't have to worry about playing the smaller schools.  Honestly don't need to worry about it now.  

1 hour ago, XOVERX said:

dont act like youve never had the raider rash. 

On 6/5/2022 at 12:17 PM, Poolflood said:

Aggy going to swallow hard - as is their turdition - and resume the game.  EspnU calling their demand for first home game the ultimate little brother move.

It's also probably why they emptied the wallet for this year's class.

It's hilarious and predictable.  In aggy's moments of pique, they can't help but show their true colors.  They found out about the plans to invite OU and Texas to join the SEC and rushed out to make it public in an effort to scuttle the deal.  They realize they are going to be forced to play us every year, so they start bellowing about making us play there first.

Their little-brotherhood is absolutely etched into their DNA and they barely recognize it.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:59 PM, Gidnik said:

is there 1 away game that you guys are going to miss? i dont think ill miss a single away game. none of the big 8 teams that are left i really enjoyed their towns

I had a blast in Morgantown.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:41 PM, bullet said:

That's not going to happen.  Mizzou and A&M got basically a full share.

It will be a smaller share until the OU/LHN deals run out.   The other 14 are paid for the SEC Network, UT/OU won't be on it.   Their shares will be based off all the other revenue but the SECN

22 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

It will be a smaller share until the OU/LHN deals run out.   The other 14 are paid for the SEC Network, UT/OU won't be on it.   Their shares will be based off all the other revenue but the SECN

I've seen quotes that ESPN will fold the LHN into the SECN when UT joins the SEC and not wait until 2032.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/8/2022 at 9:19 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

8 just seems so stupid in a 16 team conference, it was bad enough with 14 but even worse now.

I mean, yeah 9 games makes more sense though with 7-1 we still play OU annually.  We probably should be playing aggy again thought scheduling twice every 4 years is enough.  Bama, LSU, UGA, UF, Tenn, Pig home and away every 4 years either format is better than what we do now.  

I used to think the annual aggy game should have been retained, but after the last few years it’s become clear they will dodge games to avoid too many losses.  

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This should set the stage for the Big 12 negotiating a settlement to cut UT and OU loose. Keeping us around beyond 2023 with the newbies is foolishness. Time to move on.

The Big 12 has zero incentive to let us out early. In fact, making us stay and have to travel to Provo or Orlando is a perfect way to screw with us and OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Big 12 has zero incentive to let us out early. In fact, making us stay and have to travel to Provo or Orlando is a perfect way to screw with us and OU. 

Money is a pretty big incentive.

Otherwise, why the fuck did the Big 12 let CU, Corn, aggy, and Mizzou leave early? ESPN helped fund their breakaways. I guess we're screwed if ESPN doesn't offer the Big 12 anything for their next TV contract.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Money is a pretty big incentive.

Otherwise, why the fuck did the Big 12 let CU, Corn, aggy, and Mizzou leave early? ESPN helped fund their breakaways. I guess we're screwed if ESPN doesn't offer the Big 12 anything for their next TV contract.

We signed the stupid 99 year GOR that was enacted after those 4 left. We also were each getting a larger share of the same TV money. The Big 12 knows that's going away when Texas and OU are out so they have little incentive to not get their pound of flesh before we leave. It's a league now run by Baylor and Tech. You think they're going to Texas any favors?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, bullet said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34069597/cincinnati-houston-ucf-reach-exit-deal-american-join-big-12-2023

Cost them $18 million to leave, but over 14! years.

CUSA 6 are now moving to AAC in 2023.

Logical that UT and OU would move then also.  We'll see.

CUSA is a real shit-show now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll add this to my above statements. I'd like to get out of the Big 12 but I really hope we take a step forward this season and then just kick the shit out of everyone in 2023. Lots of scores to settle especially with the fake religious types up 35. And let's kick BYU's ass on the way out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We signed the stupid 99 year GOR that was enacted after those 4 left. We also were each getting a larger share of the same TV money. The Big 12 knows that's going away when Texas and OU are out so they have little incentive to not get their pound of flesh before we leave. It's a league now run by Baylor and Tech. You think they're going to Texas any favors?

We gave away leverage when we honestly didn't have to.  Just stupid.

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I have a question. Adding 4 teams greatly reduces each school's cut, right? Isn't there some type of possible negotiation to leave early based on that? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

We gave away leverage when we honestly didn't have to.  Just stupid.

I'm really confused why we petitioned to join the SEC so early when we knew the Big 12 wouldn't let us leave? Was it just arrogance where we thought, well surely they'll want us to go quickly? Oh wait, Texas administration and arrogance goes pretty hand in hand. I know aggy pushed up everything. 

Just now, mdmost said:

I'm really confused why we petitioned to join the SEC so early when we knew the Big 12 wouldn't let us leave? Was it just arrogance where we thought, well surely they'll want us to go quickly? Oh wait, Texas administration and arrogance goes pretty hand in hand. I know aggy pushed up everything. 

Hell I thought we'd be on the SEC schedule THIS year.  I thought no way they'd announce if they didn't have all of the details lined up.  9.95ers seemed to think so too.  We were stupid here but also stupid when we reupped when aggy left.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Intercourse With Gray said:

I have a question. Adding 4 teams greatly reduces each school's cut, right? Isn't there some type of possible negotiation to leave early based on that? 

Not sure of the particulars but it makes sense. Then again, they'll just give those schools part of our cut if we leave as we signed away exactly that. So we know OU can't pay the 80M and ESPN doesn't want to fund it currently. 

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I don't think it was supposed to be announced until this summer, but aggy ad tried to blow it all up by leaking it.  Then it would have been at most 3 years (2022, 2023 and 2024) and probably 1.  We may still get out in 2023.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

UH AD says they will be a full share member in their 3rd year which is when the new TV deal kicks in. So I guess we're splitting the pie with the other 4 but they get half shares. 

LOL what? We are def. leaving after 2022-2023 school year then. Fuck that splitting only TX/OU shares with the new teams. 

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Nobody at Texas/OU wanted continued pressure to be part of future TV deal discussions with the Big 12 and pushed to extending out the GOR.  That would have been discussed non-stop this spring/summer given it is expiring.  Once the decision was made to get out you had to do it. 

15 hours ago, bullet said:

I've seen quotes that ESPN will fold the LHN into the SECN when UT joins the SEC and not wait until 2032.

Possible, and at that time they'd draw on all the revenue streams.   Pretty sure LHN pays out more then SECN for Texas though now that it's in the back end of the contract.