Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

10 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

away games to Cincy Houston Provo and Orlando? Are we not playing OoC games? Such a dumb tweet. No way we are going on the road for all 4 of those games in one season. 

I think his point was more both teams are probably traveling to some of those spots. Probably needed to add an "or" in there. But it's Brian Davis and he's a lazy ass writer. 

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's unbelievable that we won't pony up the dough to get out of this conference.

I think the SEC/ESPN are good waiting, so why waste money.   Currently it would be a "more mouths to feed" issue because they're still on their much lower payout CBS contract.   ESPN will want the move to occur when they take the T1 rights, which is 2024.   

16 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I think the SEC/ESPN are good waiting, so why waste money.   Currently it would be a "more mouths to feed" issue because they're still on their much lower payout CBS contract.   ESPN will want the move to occur when they take the T1 rights, which is 2024.   

I agree with this. ESPN isn’t going incentivize us to leave early because there’s little benefit to them. Make a deal, get Texas/OU on a payment plan that OU can handle. 

The Grant of Rights appears to have teeth. This contrary to the armchair attorneys emphatically stating UT could get out of it. 

Aggy made a rare good decision and got out at the right time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I agree with this. ESPN isn’t going incentivize us to leave early because there’s little benefit to them. Make a deal, get Texas/OU on a payment plan that OU can handle. 

The Grant of Rights appears to have teeth. This contrary to the armchair attorneys emphatically stating UT could get out of it. 

Aggy made a rare good decision and got out at the right time. 

So how and why did the aac three get to leave in 2023?  Better contract? Less resistance?

If this firm has any idea what it's doing, it appears the next PAC12 TV deal will pay their schools $30M less per school, per year than the SEC/B1G are projected to make by 2024-25, if that plays out, gotta think USC/Oregon, at a minimum, will be looking for an invite to the B10/SEC.  I'm sure the ACC will be in a similarly weak position when they go back to the table too. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06/10/projecting-the-value-of-the-pac-12s-next-media-rights-contract-will-it-approach-the-sec-and-big-ten-deals/

On 6/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, mdmost said:

The Big 12 has zero incentive to let us out early. In fact, making us stay and have to travel to Provo or Orlando is a perfect way to screw with us and OU. 

Why would the R8 want BYU and UCF get Texas and OU games?

We should have started the lawsuit the day after Aggy leaked the story. 

If OU is broke as we all assume, surely they can get a friendly loan from a bank in Oklahoma. We’re not talking about a billion dollars here. They need about $80 million. They’ll make it back in what, a couple years in the SEC?

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We should have started the lawsuit the day after Aggy leaked the story. 

If OU is broke as we all assume, surely they can get a friendly loan from a bank in Oklahoma. We’re not talking about a billion dollars here. They need about $80 million. They’ll make it back in what, a couple years in the SEC?

CBS isn't giving the SEC more money, that's how they lost the deal in the first place.  They never even wanted to go to 15 games because it interferes with golf.

ESPN isn't going to pay more until they have all the games, which isn't until 2024.

It really has nothing to do with who is broke or not it is more why pay nearly $100m and risk damage lawsuits when you can just ride it out for two years and do nothing.

There isn't really anything to gain the short term.

9 hours ago, bullet said:

Why would the R8 want BYU and UCF get Texas and OU games?

The best possible thing that could happen for BYU or UCF, from a national perception standpoint, would be to play and beat Texas and/or OU on their way out the door.  In turn, that's good for the Big 12 and the R8.  Add to that, if the new schools come in and play really well right out of the gate, having Texas and OU around gives the national media a measuring stick to use in deciding whether the new schools are actually good or whether the R8 are bad.  If Cincinnati plays OU tough, then the new schools are going to get an "actually good" narrative from the media.  If Cincinnati's biggest name opponent in the Big 12 is Baylor, and they beat Baylor, then the media narrative turns hard against the R8.  

On 6/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, hawkfan said:

If this firm has any idea what it's doing, it appears the next PAC12 TV deal will pay their schools $30M less per school, per year than the SEC/B1G are projected to make by 2024-25, if that plays out, gotta think USC/Oregon, at a minimum, will be looking for an invite to the B10/SEC.  I'm sure the ACC will be in a similarly weak position when they go back to the table too. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/06/10/projecting-the-value-of-the-pac-12s-next-media-rights-contract-will-it-approach-the-sec-and-big-ten-deals/

they really fucked up by not dropping their pants to get Texas / OU + hanger ons a decade or so ago.  

major powers in the central time zone is the only thing that could have saved them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, Gidnik said:

they dont even have a parking lot for the stadium 

There's like eight parking spaces for Texas games now, probably wouldn't throw stones from that particular glass house.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:23 PM, David Dennison said:

It's unbelievable that we won't pony up the dough to get out of this conference.

Not that I have any special knowledge, but for argument's sake, if that's what it comes down to - the UT athletic department being completely focused on financial outcomes is unbelievable, really?

On 6/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, hawkfan said:

Pac days are numbered, they just can’t keep pace financially.   

if I had to bet on a model when the dust finally settles it probably looks like the NFL with 2 super conferences.  
B1G raids the PAC because they have plenty of AAU schools and that matters to them.  USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW are probably at the top of the list but there are several more depending on how many teams are the goal.  

SEC raids ACC but they don’t go to play school so Clemson and FSU are probably at the top with some actual quality schools like UNC and UVA, though it’s the SEC so just as easily could be NCst/VaTech plus whoever to get to a specific number.  

2 super conferences with E/W divisions of 10 or something.  SEC splits into SEC/SWC and aggy has an aneurism.  

Oh, and fuck Notre Dame 

On 6/11/2022 at 12:36 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Do you really think we wouldn't leave if we could? Ponying up the money to make the move does no good if OU can't do the same and they are cash poor.

Pony up the money, give OU a loan so they can get out, and make OU post signs all over campus including Gaylord Stadium saying 'Texas loaned OU money to leave the Big 12' until the loan plus interest is paid off.

If we're still in the Big 12 next year, then we'll just beat BYU, UCF, UH, and Cincy in every sport!

Edited by n64ra

14 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Pony up the money, give OU a loan so they can get out, and make OU post signs all over campus including Gaylord Stadium saying 'Texas loaned OU money to leave the Big 12' until the loan plus interest is paid off.

If we're still in the Big 12 next year, then we'll just beat BYU, UCF, UH, and Cincy in every sport!

I refuse to believe it's just 80M keeping OU stuck in the 12.  ESPN doesn't see the bump in pay under the current contract so nobody is that motivated to move early.  OU is nowhere near Texas but getting 80M in loans isn't hard.  Hell, our fledgling little medical practice has gotten more than 100M in lender support to buy groups in just the last 8 months.  You need to come up with some earnest money sure, and OU has that amount covered.  There's more to it than just get 80M and everything is fixed...

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Pac days are numbered, they just can’t keep pace financially.   

if I had to bet on a model when the dust finally settles it probably looks like the NFL with 2 super conferences.  
B1G raids the PAC because they have plenty of AAU schools and that matters to them.  USC, UCLA, Oregon, UW are probably at the top of the list but there are several more depending on how many teams are the goal.  

SEC raids ACC but they don’t go to play school so Clemson and FSU are probably at the top with some actual quality schools like UNC and UVA, though it’s the SEC so just as easily could be NCst/VaTech plus whoever to get to a specific number.  

2 super conferences with E/W divisions of 10 or something.  SEC splits into SEC/SWC and aggy has an aneurism.  

Oh, and fuck Notre Dame 

Agreed, this entire realignment song and dance has been as simple as "follow the money" for 50+ years.  Doing so leads you to think that the best content in the PAC & ACC are highly likely to head elsewhere.  USC was reportedly not interested in signing the PAC12's new GOR until they had an idea of what kind money they'd get in the PAC12 - if that was what drove their decision making, how could they possibly sign one locking them in long term to $30M less per year than everyone in the B1G/SEC?

He's a guy who claims to have SOURCES!, who know if he does or not, but rubber is about to meet the road on the B10's deal, that much is certain, and the PAC12 schools are probably coming to the realization they're fucked if they want to compete in football at the top level:

If the B1G wanted to counter the SEC move, adding USC + ND would be a good/logical first step.  I think USC would probably want something more logical for them from a travel standpoint though, and a 20 school B1G compromised of a PAC division of 5 of the original PAC8 would give them that, something like:

Pacific Division

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford (5th doesn't really matter probably, first four would be the consensus I'd think, and the B1G presidents would cream themselves over Stanfords academic prestige)

Great Plains Division

Wisconsin

Nebraska

Iowa

Minnesota

Illinois

Great Lakes Division

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

Atlantic Division

Penn State

Notre Dame

Northwestern

Rutgers

Maryland

9 conference games - you play everyone in your division, then everyone from another division that rotates every year.  CCG ends up being the "Winner" of the two rotations so there would never be rematch in the CCG, but you end up playing everyone in the conference twice every 6 years.

SEC could get to 20 or 24 with the best of the ACC (UNC, FSU, & Clemson would be their first picks, then whoever they'd like after that), then the remnants of the B12/PAC/ACC make up a third 20ish school conference that is paid less than the top two, but still operates at the top level and is a bit of a feeder league for recruits.

The above makes sense to me if you follow the money, and I don't see a universe where Oregon/USC/ND/Clemson/FSU/UNC are OK just getting paid $30M less per year than everyone in the top two conferences.  At some point, they'll act in self interest if that Wilner article is accurate and there is a $30M gap between the SEC/B1G and everyone else.

I agree with the "Fuck ND" sentiment, but they aren't going to get left out, and they're now staring down a similar revenue gap vs the B1G/SEC as the other conferences if they pledge their allegiance to anyone other than the B1G/SEC.  Their hand is going to be forced, Swarbrick acknowledged it publicly a couple months back:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/23/notre-dame-jack-swarbrick-division-1-change

“We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.”

I don't see the PAC schools or ND aligning themselves with the SEC from the academic standpoint if the B1G offers them an invite, and I don't see how the B1G can afford not to offer them an invite if they want to keep pace with the SEC.

Going to be an interesting few years.

Edited by hawkfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

According to his unnamed SOURCE!:

He could very well be full of shit and LARPing, but again, the math points to much of what he says being logical.

I don't get expansion by 4, that's doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Just go to 20 and everything should be pretty logical and easy to pull off from a scheduling standpoint.  I think you probably do need ND for the money to work at 20 though.

Edited by hawkfan

Why would the SEC expand again? 

Better yet, why ESPN incentivize the SEC to absorb the ACC? They have a sweetheart deal with the ACC Network. Every member seems content with the money except for Clemson. 

The expanded Big Ten looks great on paper, but they're going to run into the time zone buzz saw. The big boys are all in the EST, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State. Yes football drives everything, but ADs and school administrators care deeply about scheduling and travel costs in the minor sports. This is why we saw them trot out that weak Alliance BS. I could see the PAC 12 and Big Ten eventually packaging their football rights together with some Rose Bowl and scheduling guarantees, but I doubt they merge. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I refuse to believe it's just 80M keeping OU stuck in the 12.  ESPN doesn't see the bump in pay under the current contract so nobody is that motivated to move early.  OU is nowhere near Texas but getting 80M in loans isn't hard.  Hell, our fledgling little medical practice has gotten more than 100M in lender support to buy groups in just the last 8 months.  You need to come up with some earnest money sure, and OU has that amount covered.  There's more to it than just get 80M and everything is fixed...

Most likely this. ESPN doesn't want to finance Texas/OU's move to the SEC. I think the SEC/ESPN/Texas/OU plan was always 2025, but of course Aggy leaked the story and moved up everybody's timeline. 

ChiTown, you seem to be a wealthier fellow. Does your ilk really want to see Texas play/associate with UCF, CIncy, U of H, and BYU? I would think not. If that is the case, is there a push to get Texas the hell out of the Big 12 by 2023? 

43 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

He could very well be full of shit and LARPing, but again, the math points to much of what he says being logical.

I don't get expansion by 4, that's doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Just go to 20 and everything should be pretty logical and easy to pull off from a scheduling standpoint.  I think you probably do need ND for the money to work at 20 though.

reads like bullshit to me. 

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Most likely this. ESPN doesn't want to finance Texas/OU's move to the SEC. I think the SEC/ESPN/Texas/OU plan was always 2025, but of course Aggy leaked the story and moved up everybody's timeline. 

ChiTown, you seem to be a wealthier fellow. Does your ilk really want to see Texas play/associate with UCF, CIncy, U of H, and BYU? I would think not. If that is the case, is there a push to get Texas the hell out of the Big 12 by 2023? 

I don't really get that deep into the money/politics here.  I've donated more to our UT fund here than anything else sports wise.  That tells you where my head's at.  Texas and OU will just deal with the BS and laugh on their way out the door.  OU internally felt a need to rebalance the 'brand' of football - defense/toughness etc and they think this is actually not the worst thing ever.  Why rush to get into the SEC if you don't think you're ready?  

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

His ilk, being Sooners, just wants to see Texas lose games but inexplicably continue to rake in mountains of cash. What conference it happens in is secondary.

Edited by gmr548

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The expanded Big Ten looks great on paper, but they're going to run into the time zone buzz saw. The big boys are all in the EST, Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State. Yes football drives everything, but ADs and school administrators care deeply about scheduling and travel costs in the minor sports. This is why we saw them trot out that weak Alliance BS. I could see the PAC 12 and Big Ten eventually packaging their football rights together with some Rose Bowl and scheduling guarantees, but I doubt they merge. 

The PAC12 like every conference has bloat.  The problem is that their top dogs aren’t bringing in the same revenue numbers as the new SEC/B1G. That is going to drive USC/Oregon away.  Not sure Washington or UCLA will just be able to just up and leave due to state politics so I could see them just adding 2 for now to get to 16 and illustrating to all that the PAC12/10 is dying and that they need to let them ditch their little brothers (or see if they can force them into the deal like Cal).

Notre Dame can’t leave the ACC or join anywhere else in football until 2036 so I could see the B1G making a move now for some immediate TV money and weakening the PAC so that when they come calling in 10 years they have less resistance in finishing their final alignment with any combo ND+PAC+ACC(maybe KU) academic schools.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

One is not like the others.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gidnik said:

reads like bullshit to me. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

3k followers. He's full of it. 

He very well might be full of shit, I've read the same from some tOSU guys that are supposedly credible (specifically with regard to USC).  I don't trust much of what I read from unnamed sources, that said, it seems pretty obvious that's the path forward.

Either they make a move, or Oregon/USC decide they don't really want to compete at the top level of CFB anymore with all the new NIL stuff.  You can't make up $30M per year in TV money through boosters consistently, especially if you have a few down years.  Again, this entire premise is built on the assumption that the Wilner article is accurate, but if it is, Oregon/USC pretty much have to leave the PAC.  What other option do they have in the NIL era we're watching unfold?

And I'm pretty confident TV networks would prefer the schools at the top of the P12 being in a conference with CST/EST time slots and strong viewership numbers.  The biggest problem with the P12 currently is it's too many apathetic fan bases all in a shitty time slot - taking the best of the P12 and putting those schools in the B1G kind of kills two birds with one stone in that respect (blending the fan bases and time slots).

29 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The PAC12 like every conference has bloat.  The problem is that their top dogs aren’t bringing in the same revenue numbers as the new SEC/B1G. That is going to drive USC/Oregon away.  Not sure Washington or UCLA will just be able to just up and leave due to state politics so I could see them just adding 2 for now to get to 16 and illustrating to all that the PAC12/10 is dying and that they need to let them ditch their little brothers (or see if they can force them into the deal like Cal).

Notre Dame can’t leave the ACC or join anywhere else in football until 2036 so I could see the B1G making a move now for some immediate TV money and weakening the PAC so that when they come calling in 10 years they have less resistance in finishing their final alignment with any combo ND+PAC+ACC(maybe KU) academic schools.

I've not read the contract that Notre Dame signed with the ACC, so I don't pretend to be an expert.  But to put things in perspective, they're currently getting paid about $15M per year in TV revenue from NBC (last I checked, maybe it's changed).  If the B1G's new deal is somewhere in that $70M-$80M per school range as rumored, they're going to have a lot of money to work with to pay a liquidated damages for violating the contract.  The schools that just left the AAC broke their GOR, perhaps it was constructed differently, but either way they settled (I know it was peanuts, but it's all relative).  Most here would believe UT/OU could get out of the B12 if they had the financial incentive to do so, it's just a question of the price.

You could also be correct that USC/Oregon might just leave now and the B1G makes it apparent they'll be back for more in 2035 or whenever it's financially convenient, I suppose that's possible too.  I could see 18 making sense as a temporary placeholder to an eventual 20 w/ divisions - that would make sense as well.  I think the only real valuable properties in the P12 from a TV standpoint are probably USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington.

8 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

He very well might be full of shit, I've read the same from some tOSU guys that are supposedly credible (specifically with regard to USC).  I don't trust much of what I read from unnamed sources, that said, it seems pretty obvious that's the path forward.

Either they make a move, or Oregon/USC decide they don't really want to compete at the top level of CFB anymore with all the new NIL stuff.  You can't make up $30M per year in TV money through boosters consistently, especially if you have a few down years.  Again, this entire premise is built on the assumption that the Wilner article is accurate, but if it is, Oregon/USC pretty much have to leave the PAC.  What other option do they have in the NIL era we're watching unfold?

And I'm pretty confident TV networks would prefer the schools at the top of the P12 being in a conference with CST/EST time slots and strong viewership numbers.  The biggest problem with the P12 currently is it's too many apathetic fan bases all in a shitty time slot - taking the best of the P12 and putting those schools in the B1G kind of kills two birds with one stone in that respect (blending the fan bases and time slots).

I've not read the contract that Notre Dame signed with the ACC, so I don't pretend to be an expert.  But to put things in perspective, they're currently getting paid about $15M per year in TV revenue from NBC (last I checked, maybe it's changed).  If the B1G's new deal is somewhere in that $70M-$80M per school range as rumored, they're going to have a lot of money to work with to pay a liquidated damages for violating the contract.  The schools that just left the AAC broke their GOR, perhaps it was constructed differently, but either way they settled (I know it was peanuts, but it's all relative).  Most here would believe UT/OU could get out of the B12 if they had the financial incentive to do so, it's just a question of the price.

You could also be correct that USC/Oregon might just leave now and the B1G makes it apparent they'll be back for more in 2035 or whenever it's financially convenient, I suppose that's possible too.  I could see 18 making sense as a temporary placeholder to an eventual 20 w/ divisions - that would make sense as well.  I think the only real valuable properties in the P12 from a TV standpoint are probably USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington.

aint no might to it. he doesnt know shit.  everyone has been talking about usc, oregon, and washington to the big 10.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, hawkfan said:

He is, as usual, FOS.  If the B$G was expanding with the west coast, we wouldn't have all these stories about their media deal being done any day and not a hint of Pac schools joining them.

6 hours ago, bullet said:

He is, as usual, FOS.  If the B$G was expanding with the west coast, we wouldn't have all these stories about their media deal being done any day and not a hint of Pac schools joining them.

I think he's FOS.  That said, the SEC inked a new deal with Disney for their Tier 1 rights seven months before the UT/OU stuff got leaked.  It's entirely possible that the Big Ten announces a deal before they announce expansion.  The new Big Ten deal might be the political justification for the PAC schools to make the move.  

B1G has to make a move, they have been making as much as SEC but that dynamic looks like it’s changing.   SEC might be going for a kill shot, adding UT/OU and the pressure for 1-7 scheduling.  That about maximizing playoff spots in a conference that expects 50% or better participation going forward.  Baseball is not football but look at the CWS, because that’s the direction we are headed.

if the B1G can snag 2 more of the bluest blooded programs and a couple other high profile teams, they should easily be able to keep pace with the SEC $ wise 

Not really on point, but Amazon and Apple are starting to spend the money that has be speculated.   Not in massive numbers yet, but likely this is just the toe in the water:

Apple has agreed to a landmark deal with MLS in which Apple will exclusively stream every MLS match for 10 years starting in 2023. 

MLS commissioner Don Garber said that the league will receive a base fee and percentage of subscription sales. A source with knowledge of the deal confirmed to Front Office Sports that the deal is worth at least $2.5 billion ($250 million annually).

Apple will stream all MLS and League Cup games, select MLS Next Pro and MLS Next games, and a weekly live-match whip-around show. The league’s goal is to have pregame, in-game, and postgame shows for every match. 

Fans won’t need Apple TV+ for access but will need the Apple TV app. The streaming service’s cost, other programming, and match windows will be unveiled in the coming months.

Around two matches per week will stream for free on the Apple TV app, the source said.

Certain games will only be free for Apple TV+ subscribers.

MLS season ticket-holders will automatically have access to MLS’ streaming service on the Apple TV app.

MLS president Gary Stevenson said the league is having conversations with Apple about broadcasts outside the U.S. and Canada.

Linear Lives

MLS continues to work on a linear TV rights deal and is in discussions with ESPN, Fox, and other outlets, according to the source. Around 2-3 games are expected to be broadcasted per week via linear channels as a simulcast of Apple’s coverage.

The money seems low, but MLS has added in a lot of free games to build exposure.  

the problem with streaming is that most of the streaming services have their customers already. theyre not going to add many customers with college football. at least not for the amount of money they are rumored to spend.  1 billion dollars divided by 9.99 a month is 100 million months of subscriptions.  They may add a few games a year but theyre never going to be a major player.  at least not in my opinion.