Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

B1G has to make a move, they have been making as much as SEC but that dynamic looks like it’s changing.   SEC might be going for a kill shot, adding UT/OU and the pressure for 1-7 scheduling.  That about maximizing playoff spots in a conference that expects 50% or better participation going forward.  Baseball is not football but look at the CWS, because that’s the direction we are headed.

if the B1G can snag 2 more of the bluest blooded programs and a couple other high profile teams, they should easily be able to keep pace with the SEC $ wise 

Or else, they will continue to be not our type?

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

Or else, they will continue to be not our type?

if im the big 10 im blowing kisses at USC, and notre dame. and when notre dame says no id snag oregon, washington, and try and steal north carolina or virginia.  those schools are all aau.  (i find it interesting that iowa state left aau this year)

4 hours ago, Gidnik said:

if im the big 10 im blowing kisses at USC, and notre dame. and when notre dame says no id snag oregon, washington, and try and steal north carolina or virginia.  those schools are all aau.  (i find it interesting that iowa state left aau this year)

I assume that the university got the memo that the Big 10 was never going to take them, and at that point there wasn't much financial incentive to stay a part of it.

The Big 10 doesn't have to do anything.  They're going to get paid a lot of money, and schools like Ohio State and Michigan are always going to be able to money whip coaches and players even if they make less than the SEC.

I initially thought they'd HAVE to respond to the SEC expansion, but I've changed my mind.  The SEC mentality is much more about dick measuring, being the biggest/best, etc., and the Big 10 is their own different sort of circle jerk where they pride their academia but also cash these major checks.  I think they view themselves as some sort of anti-SEC and almost seem intent to be different than the SEC.

If the Big 10 is making less than the SEC, but enough to achieve their goals and satisfy their own snobbery, I don't think they really care that much.

The Big 10 and SEC are the kings of college football, but they view themselves very differently and have a different style and approach to things.  If the Big 10 had been able to get Notre Dame for a 12 team conference, I doubt they'd have ever expanded past it.  The Rutgers/Maryland adds were purely about cable subscriptions, and I think they kind of regret that.  They have a weird relationship with the Pac, they value different things than the SEC, and I don't think they'd destroy the Pac by taking USC, and I don't think they want any of the Big 12 or ACC schools either.

Outside of Notre Dame wanting to join, I just don't see them taking anyone at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Gidnik said:

the problem with streaming is that most of the streaming services have their customers already. theyre not going to add many customers with college football. at least not for the amount of money they are rumored to spend.  1 billion dollars divided by 9.99 a month is 100 million months of subscriptions.  They may add a few games a year but theyre never going to be a major player.  at least not in my opinion.  

I'm pretty sure they'd still have tv timeouts and ads. So not only do you get to pay $9.99 a month, you also get to see Flo from Progressive and whoever Jake from State Farm is these days 50 times a game, with some Applebees commercials thrown in there.

17 hours ago, Gidnik said:

the problem with streaming is that most of the streaming services have their customers already.

I subscribe to 3 streaming services to see my favorite non-Longhorn team. Sports are as much an anchor that defies usual trends for streaming as it is over-the-air. I'll move around to new services if that's where my teams go. 

I bet Disney just picked up a ton of new subscribers in India.  They paid almost as much as the TV rights to stream cricket. 

not sure if legal speak but....

https://www.deseret.com/2022/6/20/23175933/college-football-realignment-espn-chairman-jimmy-pitaro-says-oklahoma-texas-in-big-12-until-2025

ESPN chairman reaffirms that Oklahoma and Texas will remain in the Big 12 until 2025

The Big 12 will be the home of the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns for a few more seasons, if a top ESPN executive is to be believed.

That has been widely reported since news broke last fall that the Sooners and Longhorns are leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, but speculation has remained that the programs could leave the Big 12 early.

In an interview with The Athletic’s Richard Deitsch, however — on Deitsch’s unaffiliated Sports Media Podcast  ESPN chairman Jimmy Pitaro reaffirmed that Texas and Oklahoma will indeed remain in the Big 12 until 2025.

ESPN acquired the SEC television package currently held by CBS in December of 2020, and the 10-year deal between the SEC and ESPN will go in effect in 2024.

While talking about that deal and ESPN’s plans for the SEC, Pitaro explained, among other things, that the network will be broadcasting one non-conference game for every SEC team, every year, starting with 14 total games in 2024 before bumping up to 16 total games in 2025 when Oklahoma and Texas join the conference.

“Once Texas and Oklahoma are in, we will have 16 out-of-conference games, one per team. Pitaro said. “Well, with Texas and Oklahoma it will be in 2025, so in 2024 it will be 14 (games).

“That was the deal we struck a year ago with the SEC.”

The Big 12 will expand to 14 teams next season when BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF join in time to compete as conference members during the 2023-24 year.

Cincinnati, Houston and UCF all negotiated early exits from the American Athletic Conference, while BYU, as an independent, was always planning on joining the Big 12 in 2023.

I’m starting to think this was always the plan. We can flail away on our keyboards, but CDC/Hartzell/Eltife/ESPN don’t give a shit. 

I’ve hated this conference since Nebraska left. I thought we should sued our way out after the 2015 season. 

Texas fans have been miserable since January 7, 2010. What’s another 2-3 years of pain? I mean, the Israelites wandered around in the desert for 40 years. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's amazing how the Big 12 can negotiate with other leagues to get their teams in early but for some reason a deal can't be struck with Texas/ou.

If a crappy salesman with a non-compete agreement leaves a company and goes to a competitor, no one cares.

If the top salesman with a non-compete agreement leaves a company and goes to a competitor, the lawyers go berserk.

I should know, I water the plants and vacuum the offices at these companies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

If a crappy salesman with a non-compete agreement leaves a company and goes to a competitor, no one cares.

If the top salesman with a non-compete agreement leaves a company and goes to a competitor, the lawyers go berserk.

I should know, I water the plants and vacuum the offices at these companies.

So what you are saying is when you leave to be a custodian at a competitor, no one will care?

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It's amazing how the Big 12 can negotiate with other leagues to get their teams in early but for some reason a deal can't be struck with Texas/ou.

B12 knows that they will lose their ass revenue and viewership-wise when Tx and OU leave. Why let us leave early and essentially show the various media bidding on their new rights how bad their new numbers will be. One way can be argued with hypothetical min/max while the other way you provide poor hard numbers.

If I was the B12 I wouldn't really negotiate either unless Tex and OU either made it rather uncomfortable for us politically or came out with a real big number to make it worth it.

Remember that with the new adds come in while Tx and OU still here, I am guess that it means that all of them will be getting one or the other at home and help really push their average eyeball metrics.

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

It wasn't up to the conference to negotiate the new teams' exit from their conferences. That was between those schools and their current conference. We set the date, they negotiated early and we said okay. The difference is $80+ million in buyout to leave the Big 12 early vs. $18 million for the new teams to leave the AAC early. The recent news also comes from ESPN so even if their comments are true and not posturing they don't want OU and Texas to join until 2025 for contract or scheduling purposes. I suspect it's still posturing and a chunk of change will be agreed to for a 2024 transition.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

B12 knows that they will lose their ass revenue and viewership-wise when Tx and OU leave. Why let us leave early and essentially show the various media bidding on their new rights how bad their new numbers will be. One way can be argued with hypothetical min/max while the other way you provide poor hard numbers.

If I was the B12 I wouldn't really negotiate either unless Tex and OU either made it rather uncomfortable for us politically or came out with a real big number to make it worth it.

Remember that with the new adds come in while Tx and OU still here, I am guess that it means that all of them will be getting one or the other at home and help really push their average eyeball metrics.

It's seriously that simple. A big number would make it happen. The contract buyout is high. There's a number less than that which would likely be accepted, but there really isn't any incentive to accept less just because you hate us lowly little programs so damn much.

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're never leaving, are we?

Nope.  Ugly divorce and the fat bitch has some compromising pictures of us.  We gave away the farm when we didn't have to when aggy left.  What were the leftovers going to do then?  Kick us out.  Damn that network.

I also agree that the Big12 has no reason to let us go early.  Are they being petty?  Yes.  Do they need the money?  Yes.  Our only out is for ESPN to sweeten their TV contract.  Oh well, karma has a way of working back.

Edited by closetohumping

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas fans have been miserable since January 7, 2010. What’s another 2-3 years of pain? I mean, the Israelites wandered around in the desert for 40 years. 

Why will our pain automatically be over? So we can cheer on and take pride in Alabama's success and chant SEC SEC SEC as we become members of the borg?

I will miss being our own thing. Soon we will just be another SEC SEC SEC property. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nope.  Ugly divorce and the fat bitch has some compromising pictures of us.  We gave away the farm when we didn't have to when aggy left.  What were the leftovers going to do then?  Kick us out.  Damn that network.

I also agree that the Big12 has no reason to let us go early.  Are they being petty?  Yes.  Do they need the money?  Yes.  Our only out is for ESPN to sweeten their TV contract.  Oh well, karma has a way of working back.

With Disney hemorrhaging cash and ESPN already owning the big contracts they need to cover content, why in the world would they help out the B12 for no real reason. 

This delay only really damages Texas and OU in the short term so there is no real incentive for ESPN to help us out for no real benefit to them.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Why will our pain automatically be over? So we can cheer on and take pride in Alabama's success and chant SEC SEC SEC as we become members of the borg?

I will miss being our own thing. Soon we will just be another SEC SEC SEC property. 

Bullshit.

We will never truly fit in with the SEC.  I mean, we will be in as a full member and all of that crap, but we will stick out as the odd man in the bunch. And most of our fanbase will not get into the SECSECSEC rah-rah crap.  It will be a great league, competition-wise, but only a marriage of convenience.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

We're never leaving, are we?

We will. We will start in the SEC in 2025.

In 2024 We will have a 1-loss season and lose in the first round of the CFB playoffs.

Everyone will say we are the preseason #1 for 2025. We will be set up for greatness. First year in the SEC will also be our first national title in 20 years. 

I will be beyond excited, which will make it all the more tragic when I die because of a bizarre gardening accident the weekend before our first game. The authorities will determine it is best to just leave the situation unsolved. I will miss out on everything but I hope you guys enjoy the ride.  

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

In 2024 We will have a 1-loss season and lose in the first round of the CFB playoffs.

Everyone will say we are the preseason #1 for 2025. We will be set up for greatness. First year in the SEC will also be our first national title in 20 years. 

I will be beyond excited, which will make it all the more tragic when I die because of a bizarre gardening accident the weekend before our first game. The authorities will determine it is best to just leave the situation unsolved. I will miss out on everything but I hope you guys enjoy the ride.  

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

STDY.gif

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Bullshit.

We will never truly fit in with the SEC.  I mean, we will be in as a full member and all of that crap, but we will stick out as the odd man in the bunch. And most of our fanbase will not get into the SECSECSEC rah-rah crap.  It will be a great league, competition-wise, but only a marriage of convenience.

We don't fit in the Big12 either especially with all the additional commuter schools that just got added. I'd rather go to SEC where there is good baseball as well as football.

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Our only out is for ESPN to sweeten their TV contract. 

Actually, ESPN can/should do the opposite...

"Hey, Big 12, since you're playing with our money, we've decided we're not going to bid on future Big 12 football contracts... We'll be sure to let Fox know they're the only bidder."

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Actually, ESPN can/should do the opposite...

"Hey, Big 12, since you're playing with our money, we've decided we're not going to bid on future Big 12 football contracts... We'll be sure to let Fox know they're the only bidder."

Business is business. ESPN will bid on Big XII rights if they think they can make it profitable, and won't if they can't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Uh, no we won't. We will instantly become the most hated team in the conference.

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Bullshit.

We will fit in just fine. 

I think ESPN taking over the CBS contract starting for the ‘24 season may be the big cluein all of this.

Whatever happened behind doors that took a last B12 season and a ‘22 SEC start off the table must have made some numbers or agreements somewhere much less favorable for the SEC/partners side of things. The CBS thing could be a piece of that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Some of you should pop over to SEC Rant and have a quick read.  We were the most hated team there long before we ever even considered joining.  They've swallowed every morsel of bullshit aggy has served them.  I pray the day never comes that we "fit in" over there.

16 hours ago, TriStone said:

Some of you should pop over to SEC Rant and have a quick read.  We were the most hated team there long before we ever even considered joining.  They've swallowed every morsel of bullshit aggy has served them.  I pray the day never comes that we "fit in" over there.

There will be schools we get along with just fine and others that will always feel inferior to and intimidated by the Texas brand. 

18 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Uh, no we won't. We will instantly become the most hated team in the conference.

Um there are 16 schools in this conference. Some of them we might play once every four years. I am sure the fire will be intense when we try to remember the previous game when they show up on the schedule. Maybe Arkansas, Oklahoma, and A&M will hate us enough for the rest of them.

17 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It's going to be so great.

I can't wait.

I wish we would hurry up.

Plenty of time to get your Bama flag ready bro.

25 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

confused.gif

Or LSU or whatever SEC SEC SEC you are thinking about.

I guess I don't see the big thrill. Yes we are going with what the national media and everybody clearly wants. A big dominant SEC to crush the popularity of college sports in other parts of the country. Yes we are keeping up with the joneses and making sure we don't pay a cash and recruiting penalty for not being in the elite club. And the idea that somehow our brand is bigger than SEC SEC SEC or that we are going to be hated if laughable, we are just another part of this portfolio of a bigger and more powerful entity. We were hated because we were this big deal in this small pond. But this is a huge pond full of schools that have won more than we have. Logic suggests most years we will be mediocre. That doesn't sound very exciting. I just do not see what you are so thrilled about, besides merely the salvation of not being left out of the club. Sure getting on the life boat when the titanic is going down is certainly a positive, but hardly worth getting pumped over. 

So except for being able to cheer for the big SEC SEC SEC brand I fail to see what you are so excited about. And you cannot explain it besides post idiotic memes and don't make even sense.

Especially as a baseball fan we don't need them, but we will become absorbed by them. So that sucks. Soon when we make the CWS it won't be however many times Texas has been there but how many SEC SEC SEC schools made it this year and wow we added to that! Yeah!

But hey you won, you are eventually are going to get everything you want. So good for you.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, LTbear said:

If y'all do 3+6 you'll play everyone twice every four years. Hopefully that's the way the SEC goes. 

We'll see. If the SEC wanted my advice I would think there are obvious ways to do it. But the priorities of the conference are different than mine as a fan.

Edited by Valmy77