Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If the Pac goes on offense and starts gobbling up B12 teams, it could in theory cause the conference to come apart. I think a B12 P12 leftover conference is the most likely scenario, and in that scenario I bet UCF is just hating life right now. 

The PAC can't go on offense.  Nobody in the Big 12 will bite on an offer from them until Oregon and Washington's fate are settled.  The Big 12 is much more likely to be the one doing the raiding when this shakes out.  

• Hook 'Em 3

If Big 10 announced they were expanding to 24 and offered spot to ISU you wouldn't want it?

At that point? Probably. Because it means that there are 48 schools going to the highest level.

If they stay at 16, I’d rather be ISU in the Big 12 than be Illinois in the Big 10. No debate.

And if they were going beyond 16 with schools like Oregon or Washington wouldn’t that be dropping now? They’re currently negotiating the new contract. It will be at least 10 years of the Big 10 and SEC at 16.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's pretty clear Oregon/Washington are going to the B1G at this point, they probably needed to make it appear they had no other choice and forced USC/UCLA to announce first.

Then the B1G tells ND to get on board or be the northern outpost school with high academic standards in the SEC and ND will likely say yes.  Then add Stanford for the academic/travel bonus and be done with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

At that point? Probably. Because it means that there are 48 schools going to the highest level.

If they stay at 16, I’d rather be ISU in the Big 12 than be Illinois in the Big 10. No debate.

And if they were going beyond 16 with schools like Oregon or Washington wouldn’t that be dropping now? They’re currently negotiating the new contract. It will be at least 10 years of the Big 10 and SEC at 16.

It's going to be a whole lot easier for Illinois to win 7 or 8 games in the new Big 10 than it would be for them in the new Big 12. The Big 10 still has a lot of very shitty football schools. It's harder for them to make the CFP in the Big 10, but that's going to be all but impossible for Illinois to do in either scenario.

This aged poorly
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think the Big 10's next move is Notre Dame. With USC, that should be a no-brainer for them. Should be.

ACC has the right for Notre Dame to a conference first as part of their media deal. ACC would have to dissolve and that isn't happening. 

Also, Notre Dame gives up their ability to pick their schedule if they go to a conference. With an expanded playoff, they really don't have to join a conference. The TV partners aren't going to let Notre Dame be left out in some form. They get a special exemption. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

ACC has the right for Notre Dame to a conference first as part of their media deal. ACC would have to dissolve and that isn't happening. 

I'd be willing to bet ND's attorney's weren't dumb enough to not give them any outs, and even if they did, the difference in value on the contracts makes it pretty easy to negotiate a buyout.

Keep in mind with this move it's likely that Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA/Etc. are all going to want to kill the ACC to get in the SEC.

4 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Wrong.

4 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

I'd be willing to bet ND's attorney's weren't dumb enough to not give them any outs, and even if they did, the difference in value on the contracts makes it pretty easy to negotiate a buyout.

Keep in mind with this move it's likely that Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA/Etc. are all going to want to kill the ACC to get in the SEC.

According to ACC commissioner, Notre Dame is tied to the ACC till 2036

Swofford also isn't holding his breath for a permanent Notre Dame-ACC marriage, though he did point out that if the university decides to join a conference any time between now and 2036, the contract states it would move into the ACC. And it doesn't hurt that both sides benefited this season.

"I know Notre Dame always has and still continues to cherish its independence in football," Swofford said. "I think Notre Dame would say, and we would say, that their first year in a conference ever in the sport of football has been a very positive experience. I don't know that that necessarily translates down the road or for the future, but it was certainly the right thing to do for 2020."

You guys also need to remember that ESPN controls the ACC. So if ESPN doesn't want it to die, they will ensure that it doesn't die. 

Edited by mdmost

In thinking through desirability of ACC/PAC/B12 schools to fill spots in a Mega BIG/SEC scramble.  Note fan size is taken directly from this study that was posted somewhere on here previously... Can't vouch for methodology but it feels directionally correct other than a few weird ones (Syracuse?):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiUOwx8X3H2bSkUOz8a1YhceyJWLLCoJ/view?usp=drivesdk

image.thumb.png.e3f08f27c1e0e88e4e0fe6ebb9934936.png

Edited by 40acredropout

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Either this works out fine or a whole bunch of people like me quit caring about college football

Yeah.  Think of the Pitt progam and fans from the 80s-90s and how they missed the first ACC round of poaching.  They ended up in the same place but with half the program they once had. If ISU has a better option come around, they can't not take it.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Either this works out fine or a whole bunch of people like me quit caring about college football

That is already happening I believe. This is good for the elite schools but is a big blow to the popularity of the sport nationwide.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

According to ACC commissioner, Notre Dame is tied to the ACC till 2036

You guys also need to remember that ESPN controls the ACC. So if ESPN doesn't want it to die, they will ensure that it doesn't die. 

You don't think ESPN would rather see Clemson/FSU/UNC/Uva playing in the SEC than the against Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke (football), Etc.?

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Norman to LA. Yeah, it was about competition, lol. You should call into the Sports Animal, every minute of every day some hick is crying about Reilly. He lives rent free in your heads. Get the fuck over it already.

LOL, my pussy?  I should count the OSU posts crying all over about being left behind.  If you don't think Riley was scared of competition, you didn't follow shit...not that I blame you.  And hey, where do you live?  I know exactly how bad it sucks down there and am happy as hell I can split my time between Chicago and Miami.  Earned my way out of that shithole state.  But it's more than just where you live.  Take it from somehow who actually made the money dumbfuck is making and got to choose where he lives.  

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

I bet he knew about it when he took the job or was involved in it after being hired.

I would agree he was involved after the hire.  I bet he was told and didn't get to block it.  It's a money move, pure and simple.  Going that far east to play 5-6 times a year is a bitch in an era where you can afford to lose only one game and make the playoff.  Hope this speeds up us getting to 8 teams in the playoff.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, my pussy?  I should count the OSU posts crying all over about being left behind.  If you don't think Riley was scared of competition, you didn't follow shit...not that I blame you.  And hey, where do you live?  I know exactly how bad it sucks down there and am happy as hell I can split my time between Chicago and Miami.  Earned my way out of that shithole state.  But it's more than just where you live.  Take it from somehow who actually made the money dumbfuck is making and got to choose where he lives.  

Michael Buffer: Let's Get Ready To Rumble!! Starrcade 97 on Make a GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You can't make this argument, your highness, without posting a pay stub or tax return summary. Surly rules and all.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

You can't make this argument, your highness, without posting a pay stub or tax return summary. Surly rules and all.

Rocco has all those, sadly.  I'm making payments on his 2003 vette.  Anyways, I'm all for USC taking money to tank their chances at winning anything worthwhile.  And I don't know why you hate my ass, I wish nothing but the best for you guys, tech and ISU.  Let's see if this helps - imo it certainly does. 

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Rocco has all those, sadly.  I'm making payments on his 2003 vette.  Anyways, I'm all for USC taking money to tank their chances at winning anything worthwhile.  And I don't know why you hate my ass, I wish nothing but the best for you guys, tech and ISU.  Let's see if this helps - imo it certainly does. 

I made a relatively benign comment about how OU fans are still whining about Riley. You went scorched earth about how poor I am because nobody can apparently have any sort of wealth in Oklahoma. Whose spewing hate again?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

You don't think ESPN would rather see Clemson/FSU/UNC/Uva playing in the SEC than the against Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke (football), Etc.?

Sure but do they want to pay for it? Especially when they already have both conferences locked in? 

28 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

If Big 10 announced they were expanding to 24 and offered spot to ISU you wouldn't want it?

Yeah, we’re going to get roughed up a bit, but it’ll help recruiting and I think we’ll hold our own eventually.  I don’t like it, but at least we’re in, not out.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I made a relatively benign comment about how OU fans are still whining about Riley. You went scorched earth about how poor I am because nobody can apparently have any sort of wealth in Oklahoma. Whose spewing hate again?

No lol - it was about you still living there.  You're not poor unless we have totally different definitions of poor.  Poor is growing up in buttfuck, OK and your parents taking a permanent marker to your pink shoes, slapping you on the ass, and sending you off to school.  Never forget.  Always stay full of piss and vinegar.  

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, we’re going to get roughed up a bit, but it’ll help recruiting and I think we’ll hold our own eventually.  I don’t like it, but at least we’re in, not out.

Some really good basketball for you in the future. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Sure but do they want to pay for it? Especially when they already have both conferences locked in? 

What choice will they have?  They're going to have to pay the piper eventually.  ND is currently making $20M per year, they'll make $80M-$100M per year in the B1G within two years - they'll have plenty of cash to negotiate a settlement.

There is no way forward for independence at this point, they will either have to join the B1G or the SEC.  Do they fit better with USC/UCLA/Michigan/Northwestern or Alabama/Florida/Georgia/Auburn?  That's the only question that matters at this point.

The logical next eventual step is for the SEC and Big 10 and other big brands to simply merge into a new conference.

Nobody cares about competition, it's just the biggest number of eyeballs on the biggest games. Why not just have a conference of OU, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Georgia, A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Michigan State, Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Florida State, Clemson, and Miami play each other every week?

Ratings Bonanza without having to deal with Baylor or Oklahoma State or Iowa State or Washington State sleepers.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You have to like the fact USC basically just ruined any chance at the playoff, in it's current form.  There's no way in hell they're taking that travel schedule on and not losing more than 1 game every regular season.  If we get to 8 teams great, OU will get in enough times and have their shot at those pussies.