Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Why wouldn’t they have Oregon in the bag with the others?

I agree it makes sense for them to want Oregon, but if that were the case it just doesn’t make sense that this wasn’t all arranged simultaneously.

Washington is tethered to Wazzu (at least that was true the last I read about it.)  Oregon will want UDub in tow and UDub needs the PAC to be wounded before they can get the state legislature to let them split from little brother.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

So you actually believe this move happens if TX/ou stay in the Big 12?

Not sure but I think it's driven more by the sinking PAC12 much like the sinking Big12 was for Texas and OU.  Face it.  The Big12 and PAC12 media deals suck and the Longhorn Network is an abomination.  If the LHN had been a huge success and money boon then do you think Texas would have bolted?

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Not sure but I think it's driven more by the sinking PAC12 much like the sinking Big12 was for Texas and OU.  Face it.  The Big12 and PAC12 media deals suck and the Longhorn Network is an abomination.  If the LHN had been a huge success and money boon then do you think Texas would have bolted?

It made the university of Texas hundreds of millions and ultimately into the sec. Was is wildly successful, no. But to call it an animation is also largely false. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, some people need their internets taken away. This makes absolutely zero sense. The new Big 12 is still a good basketball conference. KU is on deck for a landing spot if this continues. A combination of the PAC and XII would still be a good basketball conference. 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of KU BMDs driving their bus into a ditch.  But yeah, I agree, that move makes zero sense.  

KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, Cincy, Baylor, Houston... that's a *really* good basketball conference.  It's arguably the best in the country.  Factor in the chance to add Arizona to that mix... KU leaving for the Big East would be extraordinarily dumb.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

This move is 100% a reaction to UT and OU. All the sources are even telling you that. USC and Texas were considering a PAC/Big12 merger at some point.

Money definitely played a role, but there was still more than half a decade left on the LHN deal. Texas left the Big 12 now because they were getting killed in recruiting... "SEC! SEC! SEC!" 

7 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

So you actually believe this move happens if TX/ou stay in the Big 12?

Would Texas and OU have left the Big 12 if the Big Ten hadn’t added Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers? Scoff at Maryland and Rutgers all you want but that was a lucrative move that greatly expanded their media footprint. Adding the L.A. market is going to be a pretty big deal.

I don’t know if ND is in the works but, if they did join, that would be the addition of another major brand. It would preserve their rivalry with USC. They always play some Big Ten schools. Throw in a couple service academies and BC in the non-conference schedule and their traditional scheduling remains intact. Personally, I’d.be fine without them but I’m just spitballing here.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Would Texas and OU have left the Big 12 if the Big Ten hadn’t added Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers? Scoff at Maryland and Rutgers all you want but that was a lucrative move that greatly expanded their media footprint. Adding the L.A. market is going to be a pretty big deal.

I don’t know if ND is in the works but, if they did join, that would be the addition of another major brand. It would preserve their rivalry with USC. They always play some Big Ten schools. Throw in a couple service academies and BC in the non-conference schedule and their traditional scheduling remains intact. Personally, I’d.be fine without them but I’m just spitballing here.

B1G fans keep bringing up NYC and LA as if it's some mythical giant. Adding Rutgers and Maryland were essentially unnoticed to the rest of us. A lot of the games since they've been there haven't been competitive. 

Think about this, USC & UCLA just left their west coast base behind because their base doesn't care and nobody watched. I'm pretty sure UCLA puts up tarps at the Rose Bowl during their games. 

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

OG Big East imploding out front shoulda told ya.

serious question though, how many eyeballs does Kansas bring?

Back before the LHN their basketball network meant they had the most TV revenue in the Big 12. As for now I don't know.

6 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

B1G fans keep bringing up NYC and LA as if it's some mythical giant. Adding Rutgers and Maryland were essentially unnoticed to the rest of us. A lot of the games since they've been there haven't been competitive. 

It doesn’t matter if you noticed. It made B1G schools a lot more money. MD and Rutgers aren’t full partners yet but the rest of the schools are getting $51 Million each from the current tv deals. That will go up in the future with the addition of the L.A. market. Not sure how that’s lost on you.

Meanwhile there was no Big 12 network, the conference is collapsing, LHN will die, and Texas is chasing A&M to the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 14

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It doesn’t matter if you noticed. It made B1G schools a lot more money. MD and Rutgers aren’t full partners yet but the rest of the schools are getting $51 Million each from the current tv deals. That will go up in the future with the addition of the L.A. market. Not sure how that’s lost on you.

Meanwhile there was no Big 12 network, the conference is collapsing, LHN will die, and Texas is chasing A&M to the SEC. 

And making lots and lots of money.

36 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Yes.  I think Texas would’ve left when the time was right

2 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

College sports are getting less appealing to me every day.

When everything is driven by money it ruins the product, no matter what the product is.

What sports do you still enjoy? The highest levels have been money driven for a while. I’m a big fan of our local amateur NPSL soccer team. Cheap beer, seats right by the action, I thoroughly enjoy it, but I admit I don’t get super emotionally tied to it like OSU or my NFL team games in tv.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, maninblack said:

USC flying all the way to New Jersey to get upset by Rutgers on a random Saturday in 2 years will be hilarious though.

my guess is the Big 10 schedule with 24 teams means USC will play at Rutgers in 2046

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

What sports do you still enjoy? The highest levels have been money driven for a while. I’m a big fan of our local amateur NPSL soccer team. Cheap beer, seats right by the action, I thoroughly enjoy it, but I admit I don’t get super emotionally tied to it like OSU or my NFL team games in tv.

Something tells me your best restaurant in town is loaded with flies.

If conferences reach 20 teams then what does it even mean to be a “member” of that conference? You play 5-6 opponents yearly, and then rotate 3 opponents? So you end up playing your “conference mates” every 4-5 years? Kinda sounds like the out of conference scheduling agreements we have now. 

I get that it’s ultimately about TV contracts and money but the whole thing seems dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

If conferences reach 20 teams then what does it even mean to be a “member” of that conference? You play 5-6 opponents yearly, and then rotate 3 opponents? So you end up playing your “conference mates” every 4-5 years? Kinda sounds like the out of conference scheduling agreements we have now. 

I get that it’s ultimately about TV contracts and money but the whole thing seems dumb.

the SEC will have the SWC division, Florida Division, Dixie Division and Others

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

The obvious answer would be more teams per conference…..more games on the schedule.  Has always been a lot of resistance increasing # of games, but perhaps NIL puts that on the table now

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

The obvious answer would be more teams per conference…..more games on the schedule.  Has always been a lot of resistance increasing # of games, but perhaps NIL puts that on the table now

and then the Nucular Bomb.....Players Union.