Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

.Until his statement yesterday, it’d been nothing but one-sided finger-pointing coming from other Big 12 schools and administrators, all intended to lock Texas and OU down as long as possible. Even Mike Gundy couldn’t refrain from that stance later in the day.

But where did Gundy’s take get him? It made him and all the others sound like jilted lovers.

Hopefully, Yormark can get things moving in a positive direction without the vitriol of those left behind.

That’s because they are jilted lovers.  I’m surprised that others are surprised at the butt-hurt.

@JFKFC penned a greatly underrated analogy a few pages back, characterizing a fading party girl who guys are no longer interested in as “the Iowa State of love.”  The Left-Behind of the 12 are all that fading party girl.  It’s perfect - and she is clearly jilted.

Edited by Doctor of Neighborhood
general jackassery

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm sure I'm saying this to the wrong crowd, but non bluebloods playing relatively weak non-con schedules isn't always about being scared, it's about depth, and Gundy has said this straight up when pressed. The "next tier" teams rarely sign 5 star athletes, and a good class might include 4 or 5 four stars. The rest are three stars with potential that need time to develop, meaning most aren't going to be difference makers as freshmen. Thus, a few injuries to mature players at key positions can completely change the course of a season. There's no real reason to risk injury playing Alabama or Ohio State in Week 1 because it could destroy any hope for the season. Alabama can lose 3 starters in Week 1 and replace them with 5 star stud freshmen without missing a beat. The rest of us don't have that luxury. We also can't afford a single early loss if we have playoff goals because we pretty much need to be undefeated to have even a sliver of a chance, whereas Alabama and Clemson can absorb losses pretty easily without losing reputational points (which to be clear I find completely reasonable considering their proven strengths).

That is why the AP Poll was a better system for determining a national champion, defined as who had the best season?  Voters can account for where teams started from and what path they took. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

That is why the AP Poll was a better system for determining a national champion, defined as who had the best season?  Voters can account for where teams started from and what path they took. 

Yes, having the Kirk Bohls' of the world pick a "champion" was infinitely more legitimate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I agree with your assessment that there are fewer truly elite prospects out there than the recruiting agencies suggest, but this seems like a pretty comedic attempt to justify UT’s lack of developing players over the last 12 years or so.  C’mon man 

I never denied that we lacked development. I even mentioned OU winning with offensive schemes and OL development. Outside of QB and OL, I think development is the least important aspect of college football. Offensive schemes, five-stars, good evaluations and S&C  are most important. 

A good player will bite the moment he arrives on campus. The majority of our classes, prior to NIL, were full of players ranked in the 250-400 range. We didn't land enough difference-makers and didn't evaluate the late-risers.

We have looked SLOW for the better part of a decade. Go watch some games in the early 2000s and then compare to the Charlie/Herman era. The speed wasn't the same on either side of the ball, especially receiver and defense. 

Go watch the film and look at the measurements/track times of some of these kids Charlie and Herman recruited. And then go look at Alabama/LSU/Georgia/tOSU and get back with me.

There are very few good coaches in this game. You really think Cookie Monster is a better coach than Herman? Miles a better coach than Herman? Kirby Smart a better coach than Herman? I actually think Herman is better than all 3 of them and Herman is average. Those other three won national titles because they bought top end talent. They didn't settle for the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth options. Herman didn't even win a conference title.

The biggest problem in Austin since the mid-1980s is cheating by the competition. It's no coincidence that the only success we've had was when ATM/SMU got busted and in-state/out-of-state schools were spooked and stopped dropping bags to every recruit worth a damn within the state of Texas. It's also the fact that Leach's system spreading across the state thinned out certain positions. You need to recruit nationally.

Texas started losing once the new pay structure was set in place in the mid-2000s. Again, not a coincidence. Mack, Greg and McWhorter were also lazy. Doesn't change what I said. 

Many of the players we recruited just didn't have the skillset. Look what happened to the scrubs that were ranked as 4-stars right before Mack got fired and how far they dropped after he left. They decommitted and didn't even end up playing P5 football!!! Look at the recruiting services admitting they gave us huge bumps. They give all large fan bases bumps.

Texas has to out-recruit the Oklahoma States of the world by a wide margin. We play a harder non-conference schedule and our players have much more pressure on them to win.

In the next few years, we are going to be much more competitive. We may not win championships, or we may, but we are going to be a much better football team. Why? Because NIL will allow us to land more top ranked players. 

28 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I never denied that we lacked development. I even mentioned OU winning with offensive schemes and OL development. Outside of QB and OL, I think development is the least important aspect of college football. Offensive schemes, five-stars, good evaluations and S&C  are most important. 

A good player will bite the moment he arrives on campus. The majority of our classes, prior to NIL, were full of players ranked in the 250-400 range. We didn't land enough difference-makers and didn't evaluate the late-risers.

We have looked SLOW for the better part of a decade. Go watch some games in the early 2000s and then compare to the Charlie/Herman era. The speed wasn't the same on either side of the ball, especially receiver and defense. 

Go watch the film and look at the measurements/track times of some of these kids Charlie and Herman recruited. And then go look at Alabama/LSU/Georgia/tOSU and get back with me.

There are very few good coaches in this game. You really think Cookie Monster is a better coach than Herman? Miles a better coach than Herman? Kirby Smart a better coach than Herman? I actually think Herman is better than all 3 of them and Herman is average. Those other three won national titles because they bought top end talent. They didn't settle for the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth options. Herman didn't even win a conference title.

The biggest problem in Austin since the mid-1980s is cheating by the competition. It's no coincidence that the only success we've had was when ATM/SMU got busted and in-state/out-of-state schools were spooked and stopped dropping bags to every recruit worth a damn within the state of Texas. It's also the fact that Leach's system spreading across the state thinned out certain positions. You need to recruit nationally.

Texas started losing once the new pay structure was set in place in the mid-2000s. Again, not a coincidence. Mack, Greg and McWhorter were also lazy. Doesn't change what I said. 

Many of the players we recruited just didn't have the skillset. Look what happened to the scrubs that were ranked as 4-stars right before Mack got fired and how far they dropped after he left. They decommitted and didn't even end up playing P5 football!!! Look at the recruiting services admitting they gave us huge bumps. They give all large fan bases bumps.

Texas has to out-recruit the Oklahoma States of the world by a wide margin. We play a harder non-conference schedule and our players have much more pressure on them to win.

In the next few years, we are going to be much more competitive. We may not win championships, or we may, but we are going to be a much better football team. Why? Because NIL will allow us to land more top ranked players. 

you’ve had classes ranked in the top 4-10 for over a decade.  Saying it’s because they’re all 200-300 range kids doesn’t make excuses for losing to Kansas twice, watching Baylor win 3 conference titles since you have, and so forth.  BU isn’t getting half the kids UT is, and is putting a better team on the field outside of 2 very understandably terrible years in the last decade.  I’m just saying, you can wishcast “recruiting troubles at UT” all the way down the river into the Gulf of Mexico, but it hives about as well as Jeff Bezos having a bad day in the market and losing $10bn.   He might make it back tomorrow.   UT’s problem is player development and entitlement culture, not recruiting.   I’m laughing my ass off about UT recruiting being an issue.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I never denied that we lacked development. I even mentioned OU winning with offensive schemes and OL development. Outside of QB and OL, I think development is the least important aspect of college football. Offensive schemes, five-stars, good evaluations and S&C are most important. 

Strength & conditioning usually is filed under player development.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

These journalist are so bad. The list is not only terrible but leaves out many important factors. Of course, we know that already. Just look at most of the articles written on the subject lately.

1. Winning would be determined over the school's history + current results + potential results

2. Viewership would need to account for

what channel did you play on? what day you played? what time you played? who you played? what conference you played in? what your record is? how much success/failure in the past few years? So many factors here and they would need to be compared the other programs in the same exact way. It's much more complicated but shouldn't be hard to get fairly close by just knowing college football in general.

3. He doesn't even mention footprint/markets, which still matters. A conference would prefer someone bordering another state, although exceptions can be made in certain circumstances. Footprint can help regional rivalries or it can help spread the conferences reach more nationally. And new TV markets still matter. Not only to increase cable rates, but to raise prices on streaming services at a later date. 

4. Recruiting territory is not mentioned and it matters. B1G took Rutgers and Maryland because of media markets, footprint and recruiting territory. They badly needed rich recruiting territory and this expanded their reach. California is a huge add for them.

5. So many other factors. The guy, like all these hacks, is a clickbait machine. None of these paid journalists even work anymore. They don't even do anymore research than the average message board poster.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I agree with your assessment that there are fewer truly elite prospects out there than the recruiting agencies suggest, but this seems like a pretty comedic attempt to justify UT’s lack of developing players over the last 12 years or so.  C’mon man 

I’d say our lack of development comes from spending the last 12 years prioritizing orange slicers, coin toss coaches, piss test color readers, and fucking with team breakfasts instead of focusing on football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

These journalist are so bad. The list is not only terrible but leaves out many important factors. Of course, we know that already. Just look at most of the articles written on the subject lately.

1. Winning would be determined over the school's history + current results + potential results

what channel did you play on? what day you played? what time you played? who you played? what conference you played in? what your record is? how much success/failure in the past few years? So many factors here and they would need to be compared the other programs in the same exact way. It's much more complicated but shouldn't be hard to get fairly close by just knowing college football in general.

3. He doesn't even mention footprint/markets, which still matters. A conference would prefer someone bordering another state, although exceptions can be made in certain circumstances. Footprint can help regional rivalries or it can help spread the conferences reach more nationally. And new TV markets still matter. Not only to increase cable rates, but to raise prices on streaming services at a later date. 

4. Recruiting territory is not mentioned and it matters. B1G took Rutgers and Maryland because of media markets, footprint and recruiting territory. They badly needed rich recruiting territory and this expanded their reach. California is a huge add for them.

5. So many other factors. The guy, like all these hacks, is a clickbait machine. None of these paid journalists even work anymore. They don't even do anymore research than the average message board poster.

The Big 10 was retarded for taking Rutgers.  They already had that recruiting ground and the NY market is chock full of Big 10 grads they got cute, fast and loose with that play

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I live in Oklahoma and have lived in Oklahoma for 40+ years.  There isn't much hate on either side and never has been.  To the extent it exists, the vast majority of it is with the OSU die-hards, not the other way around.  OU fans don't care about OSU enough to hate them.  It's truly a big brother / little brother dynamic.  The big brother gives little brother a hard time but when push comes to shove, usually is supportive.  Most Okies who identify as OU-first cheered for Oklahoma State (non-ironically) when Big Country led the Pokes into the Final Four.  Most OU fans cheered for Gary Ward's baseball teams in the CWS back in the day.  Most OU fans cheered for Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, etc., when the Pokes weren't playing OU.    

In the internet era, the OU die-hards condescend to the OSU die-hards online, primarily because of how the OSU die-hards react to it.  The internet dynamic isn't very reflective of reality, though.  OSU's TV rating are great in Oklahoma and that has a lot to do with the "we cheer for both schools" folks within the state.  

I too live in Ok and have for over 35 years. I respectfully disagree with this. It would take too long to hash it all out and I don't want to clog up this thread with bedlam bullshit. However, I have a friend, he's like a brother to me. OU fan and grad, not some trailer-dwelling bum. He says that same bullshit "I always root for OSU when they're not playing ou". But one time I mentioned that I bought an autographed Josh Fields mini helmet on ebay and his attitude changed quick. "Why would you buy that? He wasn't any good!". I said for OSU football standards, he's pretty good. He got pretty surly and just kept shitting on it. I said you're only mad because he beat ou twice, he acted like I pissed in his face. So no, I don't buy the "OSU-loving sooner fan" horseshit. 

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The Big 10 was retarded for taking Rutgers.  They already had that recruiting ground and the NY market is chock full of Big 10 grads they got cute, fast and loose with that play

Kyle Flood was the HC for Rutgers when they got picked up by the Big Ten. He must be selling ketchup popsicles to women in white gloves as a side gig.

8 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The biggest fault I find in realignment is that it is guided by media executives. IOW- semi-bright MBAs that might like college football (or might not), working the latest model the consultants (who got better MBA grades at schools even less interested in football) gave them. That’s how you end up with Rutgers and Maryland in the B10. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

you’ve had classes ranked in the top 4-10 for over a decade.  Saying it’s because they’re all 200-300 range kids doesn’t make excuses for losing to Kansas twice, watching Baylor win 3 conference titles since you have, and so forth.  BU isn’t getting half the kids UT is, and is putting a better team on the field outside of 2 very understandably terrible years in the last decade.  I’m just saying, you can wishcast “recruiting troubles at UT” all the way down the river into the Gulf of Mexico, but it hives about as well as Jeff Bezos having a bad day in the market and losing $10bn.   He might make it back tomorrow.   UT’s problem is player development and entitlement culture, not recruiting.   I’m laughing my ass off about UT recruiting being an issue.  

Charlie's players weren't any better than those of the Baylors, TCUs and Oklahoma St.s for the first time since I remember.    Mack did have better players even in the bad seasons.  Charlie was the one who was really lazy in addition to being a bad game coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, statsman said:

The biggest fault I find in realignment is that it is guided by media executives. IOW- semi-bright MBAs that might like college football (or might not), working the latest model the consultants (who got better MBA grades at schools even less interested in football) gave them. That’s how you end up with Rutgers and Maryland in the B10. 

That’s how we got the 2008 housing crisis.  Engineers that know nothing about the human side of the economics/finance equation building models that make sense in a pretty little vacuum.  

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

He has Wisconsin over USC and Alabama.  He has Kansas 68 of 69.

Nuff said.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Charlie's players weren't any better than those of the Baylors, TCUs and Oklahoma St.s for the first time since I remember.    Mack did have better players even in the bad seasons.  Charlie was the one who was really lazy in addition to being a bad game coach.

Charlie’s recruiting rankings, and Tom’s were significantly higher than those we both mentioned.   Yes, recruiting rankings are flawed and a bit arbitrary  to some degree, but the difference in results of recruiting rankings and results are pretty marked.  

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm not taking sides. I'm just saying the reasons they were taken by the B1G. Maybe the cable companies gave them more money for the B1GN with Rutgers, I don't know. I agree they already had some of NY wrapped up. I will say playing games in that market has to help with $ and recruiting though. You can always do better. Many players in the state of New Jersey are heading south right now.

B1G wanted to expand the B1GN and there weren't a lot of options ready to leave at the time. Only they know what the offers were with and without Rutgers. We are already hearing Stanford will bring the Northern California market to the B1GN. If that's the case, then Rutgers was definitely getting them increased revenue in the state of NJ and maybe NY. It was reported at the time as well.

IMO, one of the B1G's plans is to swallow up as much landscape as possible with flagships. I think long term they want to have enough content in all the major markets to charge $2.5-$3.50 for all subscribers of cable/streaming services. A mini-ESPN.

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That’s how we got the 2008 housing crisis.  Engineers that know nothing about the human side of the economics/finance equation building models that make sense in a pretty little vacuum.  

Our politicians gave us the housing crisis. It was decades in the making. And everyone still votes for the same criminals on both sides of the aisle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Charlie’s recruiting rankings, and Tom’s were significantly higher than those we both mentioned.   Yes, recruiting rankings are flawed and a bit arbitrary  to some degree, but the difference in results of recruiting rankings and results are pretty marked.  

They simply rank the large schools at the top. It's not hard to understand that the great teams and the best recruits will typically always come from a certain percentage of those Bluebloods programs. Just rank all the largest fan bases at the top. They know they can get away with it. You can always make the numbers look good for you. And they need those $$$$. It's a FRAUD.

Charlie and Tom didn't have good classes. Slow. Slow. Slow. Some of the slowest teams in the history of Texas football. Charlie just took kids still trying to find a landing spot in the closing days of recruiting.

These journalists have no idea how to evaluate after the Adrian Petersons, Vince Youngs, Clowneys take up the top 100 or so. Like I said, anything in the 250 to 300 range and on is a total crapshoot. You find many terrible evaluations! You can find some in the top 100. They are terrible at their jobs. Nerds who weren't even very good at sports growing up.

Goosby is a nice prospect we flipped from TCU. He is going to rise a little in the rankings at some point. I think that's fair. I also think if he stayed committed to TCU for the long haul, he wouldn't have gone up any in the rankings. In fact, he might have gone down in the rankings. That's how it works!

8 hours ago, bullet said:

There isn't enough value.  Big and SEC stick at 16 to 20 and leave the rest in lesser paying conferences making the Big and SEC look good by losing to them in the playoffs.

There is a ton of value.  The new CFP deal is going to be a lot of money and the SEC/B1G despite filling half the available spot will not receive half the the payout. They’ll get more than the other conferences but even the PAC, who hasn’t had a playoff contender in years is getting within $10 million or so of the SEC/B1G’s total payout.

If we assume the CFP payout will nearly double to $1billion a year and the SEC/B1G continue to split 75% of the money with the other P5 your talking about $160 million a year or $10mil/team. If you kill off a P5 conference that number increases. If you increase to 24 teams and hold your own internal playoff with a plus one game with the B1G you’d get $500 million a year which increases conference revenue by over $300million before considering any inventory/markets for the network.  If we just assume each addition is worth at least $50 million (since that what their conferences are paying), the playoff increase alone could fund the offset of 6 additional teams.

The value is there.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

lulz

You think you're making a good point then you throw entitlement culture in there because you are a dumbass who has zero idea what he's talking about. Texas's problem has been shitty coaching. That's it. Did Oklahoma's culture have an entitlement problem under Gibbs and Blake? Did Alabama get too entitled under Dubose, Franchione, and Shula? No, they had shitty coaches.

No institution had more of an entitlement culture in our lifetimes than the way Baylor football players felt about campus co-eds for nearly a decade. Entitlement has nothing to do with it, it's just something that idiots want to believe to make themselves feel superior. Shitty coaches let players get away with not working. No matter where they are.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

You think you're making a good point then you throw entitlement culture in there because you are a dumbass who has zero idea what he's talking about. Texas's problem has been shitty coaching. That's it. Did Oklahoma's culture have an entitlement problem under Gibbs and Blake? Did Alabama get too entitled under Dubose, Franchione, and Shula? No, they had shitty cultures.

No institution had more of an entitlement culture in our lifetimes than the way Baylor football players felt about campus co-eds for nearly a decade. Entitlement has nothing to do with it, it's just something that idiots want to believe to make themselves feel superior. Shitty coaches let players get away with not working. No matter where they are.

Lol.  That’s rich.  Never said anything about superior.  Remember, your team went to 2 National Title games in 4 years.  Every top 5 class for a decade walked onto the 40 and thought all they had to do was walk on the field and get back there.   Coaching apathy and coaching underwater didn’t help, but you can’t tell me guys didn’t come there and don the burnt orange and think they were gonna win just because.   You can see it in their faces and in their comments.  Your coach had to shut an upperclassman and really solid player up over it a couple months back.  

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm sure I'm saying this to the wrong crowd, but non bluebloods playing relatively weak non-con schedules isn't always about being scared, it's about depth, and Gundy has said this straight up when pressed. The "next tier" teams rarely sign 5 star athletes, and a good class might include 4 or 5 four stars. The rest are three stars with potential that need time to develop, meaning most aren't going to be difference makers as freshmen. Thus, a few injuries to mature players at key positions can completely change the course of a season. There's no real reason to risk injury playing Alabama or Ohio State in Week 1 because it could destroy any hope for the season. Alabama can lose 3 starters in Week 1 and replace them with 5 star stud freshmen without missing a beat. The rest of us don't have that luxury. We also can't afford a single early loss if we have playoff goals because we pretty much need to be undefeated to have even a sliver of a chance, whereas Alabama and Clemson can absorb losses pretty easily without losing reputational points (which to be clear I find completely reasonable considering their proven strengths).

Bullshit. Florida State and Bobby Bowden made their bones by playing anybody, anywhere and built a power out of a nobody. These garbage ass games do nothing to build your brand or improve the conference's profile. Or God forbid generate some TV revenue for the conference and its broadcast partners. And if you play and beat those teams regularly then a single loss doesn't blow you out of the national championship conversation because you will have earned credibility. Instead of going out and trying to beat the best, all these big 12 clown teams followed the Bill Snyder model of scheduling to get bowl eligible and cash checks while Texas and OU did the heavy lifting. Fuck all that. You reap what you sow. 

You were definitely right about one thing though. You are feeding this horse shit to the wrong crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 8

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Shitty coaches let players get away with not working. No matter where they are.

This really does sum it up.  The things that make Texas players entitled, Austin, the name on the jersey, etc. have been present in largely the same form since DKR coached.

It's not whether they come in entitled, it's whether the coaches let them remain entitled.  I suppose a coach could say that he just couldn't overcome the entitlement, but that would probably make him a shitty coach.

• Like 1

I had my Orlando Magic summer league game on the TV in the background.
Wasn't really paying much attention since our only starter (1st round pick Banchero) had already been pulled for the rest of the summer league.

Anyhow... I didn't catch the full conversation, but suddenly the dude and chick broadcaster peoples were talking about Texas and Oklahoma finally playing against some real Football teams.  

Rushed here hoping to see some 2023 news... but nothing?!??

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

There is a ton of value.  The new CFP deal is going to be a lot of money and the SEC/B1G despite filling half the available spot will not receive half the the payout. They’ll get more than the other conferences but even the PAC, who hasn’t had a playoff contender in years is getting within $10 million or so of the SEC/B1G’s total payout.

If we assume the CFP payout will nearly double to $1billion a year and the SEC/B1G continue to split 75% of the money with the other P5 your talking about $160 million a year or $10mil/team. If you kill off a P5 conference that number increases. If you increase to 24 teams and hold your own internal playoff with a plus one game with the B1G you’d get $500 million a year which increases conference revenue by over $300million before considering any inventory/markets for the network.  If we just assume each addition is worth at least $50 million (since that what their conferences are paying), the playoff increase alone could fund the offset of 6 additional teams.

The value is there.

Or...they stick at 16 to 20 and spread the playoff money over fewer teams, only adding teams that pay for themselves in TV money.  And there are very few of those.  Maybe 1.  Maybe just 4.  There aren't 16 (8 for Big and 8 for SEC).

26 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I had my Orlando Magic summer league game on the TV in the background.
Wasn't really paying much attention since our only starter (1st round pick Banchero) had already been pulled for the rest of the summer league.

Anyhow... I didn't catch the full conversation, but suddenly the dude and chick broadcaster peoples were talking about Texas and Oklahoma finally playing against some real Football teams.  

Rushed here hoping to see some 2023 news... but nothing?!??

Maybe they were talking about Baylor and Oklahoma St. being the favorites in the Big 12 this year.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bullet said:

Maybe they were talking about Baylor and Oklahoma St. being the favorites in the Big 12 this year.

No Sir, my ears go all bat-dog like when I hear the slightest mention of the country "Texas" on TV.

I wish my streaming service offered replay/DVR so I could have rewinded to hear the full conversation.

#nerdalert -- Windows Media Center + CableCard + Windows 7 VM + Kodi might be my answer to that issue.

4 hours ago, Gidnik said:

"right now"

Honestly, who gives a shit what any Pac 12 university says right now.  The Pac 12 is in the process of receiving a valuation of their broadcasting worth post- USC, UCLA defections.  And once the schools receive that valuation, say in a month, then they’ll know how much less each school will make remaining in the Pac 12 vs The Big Ten and SEC and that’s when we might get some idea of each school’s true intentions

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This really does sum it up.  The things that make Texas players entitled, Austin, the name on the jersey, etc. have been present in largely the same form since DKR coached.

It's not whether they come in entitled, it's whether the coaches let them remain entitled.  I suppose a coach could say that he just couldn't overcome the entitlement, but that would probably make him a shitty coach.

I can't remember the last time we had a great Dline or Oline or even a decent group of Linebackers and the draft has shown it.  I guess Colt's Sophomore year maybe was the last group of decent Oline?  How many O linemen has Texas had in the last decade plus that could even get significant playing time at another decent D1 school in the last decade plus?  Maybe 5?  At least the recruiting on Dline and Oline is looking up now.

24 minutes ago, bullet said:

He has Wisconsin over USC and Alabama.  He has Kansas 68 of 69.

Nuff said.

Damn, I didn't notice that. I really didn't look at it much after noticing it was so flawed.

I will say the LA market does make USC worth more than they should be worth. Wisconsin is a very underrated program $$$ wise. It's a b

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

I would love for you to explain to me what you know about Texas entitlement. This is going to be fun! While you are at it, tell me all about the development issues you are well aware of. Please go in detail and let me know all about it. I bet you can't give me legit data to support your claims.

I've never once stated coaching wasn't part of the issue at Texas. 

But I'm laughing my ass off at someone who actually thinks nerds who never played the game worth a damn (very few of them did) and have little to no training whatsoever can evaluate players. I'm laughing my ass off at someone who can't see the continued trends that happen every single year. The patterns are out in the open and there's over two decades of data. It's so well documented and easy to dig up, I don't feel the need to research it. Just one example:  If a kid decommits from Baylor and attends Texas? He eventually rises in the rankings. Kid stays at Baylor? Highly unlikely he rises in the rankings much. This happens all across the country every single cycle. Kid gets legit interest from some large fan base? He rises in the ranking.. Rinse and repeat. One of the idoits who runs one of the services even admitted he ranked many of the Texas kids high because they played at Texas! Told you straight to your face and you're still making excuses. When Mack was fired, some of the Texas kids that lost their spots ended up not even attending a Power 5 Conference. Yet, they were once ranked 4-stars and committed to big, bad TEXAS!!  I believe he's actually one of the very few who left the industry for a real job!

This stuff happens right out in the open and ppl are still brainwashed to believe team rankings. At least before the online recruiting services, Texas fans admitted to themselves that recruiting was terrible under McWilliams and something had to be done about it. They indirectly went scorched Earth on the cheaters of the SWC. Now they're brainwashed by conmen like Ketch, Farrell and the rest of the lowlifes that run these services.

I wasn't impressed with many of our classes over the past decade. I stopped attending high school games because very few of the good recruits were going to UT. Recruiting has been in the gutter at Texas. Last year was major improvement and it still doesn't meet the standard. Most posters don't have a clue how to evaluate talent. It's almost impossible for even the recruiting services to have all the necessary data to make a very good eval. You need to take into account how much missing data is there when you evaluate a recruit. And there's a lot of missing data on most of these kids. I'm not even factoring in a lot of the shitty 40 times for the Texas recruits under Charlie and Herman. If it's not on the track, it's obvious by just watching the tape.

We play a much more difficult OOC schedule than Baylor/OKSt and have way more pressure on our kids to win. You cannot compare winning at a Blueblood to winning at a small school. It takes two completely different approaches in order to succeed. It's why Herman was successful at Houston and failed at Texas. 

Yes, you can make the top 10 in the recruiting rankings by landing primarily top 200 to top 350 players without landing many top 100 players. Trust me, Texas has done it several times. And not all top 100 players deserve to be on the list.

BTW, the Texas average recruiting ranking is like somewhere between 10 to 12 over the past decade or so. It's not even in the top 10. Josh Pate had a video on this a few weeks ago. And that's factoring in all the major recruiting bumps for the largest fan base in the county (along with Ohio State)

With the internet and modern recruiting budgets, Baylor can find talented players not even ranked on the services. They will quickly get ranked once they pick up offers though! And then if they end up committing to a large fan base, they get another recruiting bump!

Baylor evaluates well and grabs a lot of speed. Their offense has more speed than Texas in many years. Most of their success has to do with one really damn good football coach who happens to be one of the worst humans on the planet. Briles also loved him some steroids. It's well known since he was at Stephenville.

Baylor plays THREE Allen High Schools a year in football. Since Briles left, their success comes from winning very close conference games. It's the same things happening at Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Texas as been losing a ton of close games. As explained in my previous post, those cupcakes matter a great deal as the season wears on.  It's not an even playing field when Texas plays a significantly harder schedule than the Baylors of the world.

Baylor has no fans. They can throw all their young players on the field and let them get experience. If they lose, no big deal. They can build a team for the future. Texas doesn't have that option. The talent is so down, Sark is actually going to get one of those rebuilding years coming up. Typically, at Texas you don't get to just throw the young talent on the field and lose some games in the name of the future.

Texas has way more pressure on them to win. These are 18-22 year old kids. Under immense pressure to win. They are expected to beat Baylor. If they beat Baylor, it is no big deal. If they lose, it's a very big deal. Baylor is not Alabama. Baylor is not LSU. Texas must out-recruit the Baylors/Oklahoma States by a very large margin or the pressure is going to cave in on the 800 pound gorilla. This is not an "entitlement" issue. It would happen to any Blueblood under the same circumstances.  In fact, Texas seems to have less (winning) standards for their program than Bama, Auburn, LSU, tOSU and the rest of the Bluebloods. There's even more pressure to win at those places.

I never said coaching wasn't part of the problem. Charlie was a terrible head football coach. Herman was a decent coach, but arrogant and unable to learn on the job. Herman could have won with a paid roster. He's a better coach than the Cookie Monster and Grass Eater Miles. He's probably better than Kirby Smart before he hired his new offensive coordinator. It's hard to attract great coaches when they know your recruiting is not at a Blueblood standard.

Sarkisian's offensive talent last year was fucking terrible. Especially without Whittington. It's been that way for a long time. You could even see from his game plans that he understands the offensive side of the ball. And we still struggled on offense. The defense has no one who can rush the passer. I'm not saying there isn't coaching issues on defense. But there's also a talent issue. The young, talented safeties should help this year. A second year in the system should help. Can we stay healthy at linebacker? There's very little behind them.

There's no excuses for the Kansas game, but OU lost to Kansas and the refs gave them a win. Sark was in year one. Lincoln Riley had all his own players and was one touchdown away from winning the conference.

If Sark had Alabama's athletes, he wins this conference last year. It was a very down year.

He breaks records on offense at Alabama and USC and looks like shit while calling the plays here. Yep, all the talent in the world. I guess you think Casey Thompson was a 4-star quarterback!!! Swoopes was an awesome quarterback prospect!! All our 4.7-4.8 receivers are 4-stars! Our runt, slow linebackers are so talented! If we could just develop our players. You bet, that's the only issue. We need to develop those players and do something about that mythical thing some idoit on the internet made up: fix that entitlement. 

You're about to see what a difference talent means. It's coming in the next few years. It could happen this year, if the QB grows up, we stay healthy and get a pass rush. We don't have depth, but at least Sark upgraded the starting line up in a major way. I wish we could stay in this shitty conference just a little longer to shut up all these midget fan bases that come on here acting like they know our program. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Lol.  That’s rich.  Never said anything about superior.  Remember, your team went to 2 National Title games in 4 years.  Every top 5 class for a decade walked onto the 40 and thought all they had to do was walk on the field and get back there.   Coaching apathy and coaching underwater didn’t help, but you can’t tell me guys didn’t come there and don the burnt orange and think they were gonna win just because.   You can see it in their faces and in their comments.  Your coach had to shut an upperclassman and really solid player up over it a couple months back.  

This is one dumbass post. Just a fan of a midget program talking shit on someone else's board. We are used to it.

The player is tired of losing. Under those circumstances, people are just looking for answers. They say a lot of shit. It happens. He was just trying to fire up his teammates. Texas kids aren't skipping practice anymore than Baylor or any other program in the country. It's just coach speak.  He overstepped coach speak by mentioning a friend or two. There's nothing to see here. That player had a down year trying to make the switch to a new defense. He's a good kid and it has nothing to do with entitlement.

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

This is one dumbass post. Just a fan of a midget program talking shit on someone else's board. We are used to it.

The player is tired of losing. Under those circumstances, people are just looking for answers. They say a lot of shit. It happens. He was just trying to fire up his teammates. Texas kids aren't skipping practice anymore than Baylor or any other program in the country. It's just coach speak.  He overstepped coach speak by mentioning a friend or two. There's nothing to see here. That player had a down year trying to make the switch to a new defense. He's a good kid and it has nothing to do with entitlement.

I didn’t say he had anything to do with entitlement.  He’s a damn good kid that plays and talks with pride and has the work ethic to show for it.  He’s talking about other kids that might not have that same amount of pride or work ethic.  That’s not singularly a situation at UT, never said it was, but a decade’s worth of results suggest it may be an issue.  That’s been my entire point.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I didn’t say he had anything to do with entitlement.  He’s a damn good kid that plays and talks with pride and has the work ethic to show for it.  He’s talking about other kids that might not have that same amount of pride or work ethic.  That’s not singularly a situation at UT, never said it was, but a decade’s worth of results suggest it may be an issue.  That’s been my entire point.   

The kid he was talking about is a damn good kid who had a down year under a new system. I know that kid is working his butt off. The kid who made the statement was just venting. He's tired of losing. He thought he was giving a coach speak answer and it went too far. If you have to speak to the media about all this stuff, you're just trying to find something to say. Sometimes it doesn't come out right. These kids and coaches aren't politicians. Heck, politicians can't even keep from stuff coming out wrong. It's why Mack always just gave the same answers over and over again.

Sure, we can talk about someone like Foster. And he was coming off an injury.

There's been very few issues like that. At least no more than any other program. It happens everywhere to some degree. The TE we picked up from Bama hated Saban so much he didn't give him the effort. And Saban played him anyway. He played hard for Sark the year before.

I think Herman's kids played as hard as any team in the country. He just didn't have the recruits or the staff to win. He also was a talented but inexperienced coach who refused to learn on the job. But no one played harder than Herman's Longhorns, give or take a game here and there. He just wasn't a great coach and didn't have the talent advantage afforded at some Blueblood  programs to make up for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Damn, I didn't notice that. I really didn't look at it much after noticing it was so flawed.

I will say the LA market does make USC worth more than they should be worth. Wisconsin is a very underrated program $$$ wise. It's a b

I would love for you to explain to me what you know about Texas entitlement. This is going to be fun! While you are at it, tell me all about the development issues you are well aware of. Please go in detail and let me know all about it. I bet you can't give me legit data to support your claims.

I've never once stated coaching wasn't part of the issue at Texas. 

But I'm laughing my ass off at someone who actually thinks nerds who never played the game worth a damn (very few of them did) and have little to no training whatsoever can evaluate players. I'm laughing my ass off at someone who can't see the continued trends that happen every single year. The patterns are out in the open and there's over two decades of data. It's so well documented and easy to dig up, I don't feel the need to research it. Just one example:  If a kid decommits from Baylor and attends Texas? He eventually rises in the rankings. Kid stays at Baylor? Highly unlikely he rises in the rankings much. This happens all across the country every single cycle. Kid gets legit interest from some large fan base? He rises in the ranking.. Rinse and repeat. One of the idoits who runs one of the services even admitted he ranked many of the Texas kids high because they played at Texas! Told you straight to your face and you're still making excuses. When Mack was fired, some of the Texas kids that lost their spots ended up not even attending a Power 5 Conference. Yet, they were once ranked 4-stars and committed to big, bad TEXAS!!  I believe he's actually one of the very few who left the industry for a real job!

This stuff happens right out in the open and ppl are still brainwashed to believe team rankings. At least before the online recruiting services, Texas fans admitted to themselves that recruiting was terrible under McWilliams and something had to be done about it. They indirectly went scorched Earth on the cheaters of the SWC. Now they're brainwashed by conmen like Ketch, Farrell and the rest of the lowlifes that run these services.

I wasn't impressed with many of our classes over the past decade. I stopped attending high school games because very few of the good recruits were going to UT. Recruiting has been in the gutter at Texas. Last year was major improvement and it still doesn't meet the standard. Most posters don't have a clue how to evaluate talent. It's almost impossible for even the recruiting services to have all the necessary data to make a very good eval. You need to take into account how much missing data is there when you evaluate a recruit. And there's a lot of missing data on most of these kids. I'm not even factoring in a lot of the shitty 40 times for the Texas recruits under Charlie and Herman. If it's not on the track, it's obvious by just watching the tape.

We play a much more difficult OOC schedule than Baylor/OKSt and have way more pressure on our kids to win. You cannot compare winning at a Blueblood to winning at a small school. It takes two completely different approaches in order to succeed. It's why Herman was successful at Houston and failed at Texas. 

Yes, you can make the top 10 in the recruiting rankings by landing primarily top 200 to top 350 players without landing many top 100 players. Trust me, Texas has done it several times. And not all top 100 players deserve to be on the list.

BTW, the Texas average recruiting ranking is like somewhere between 10 to 12 over the past decade or so. It's not even in the top 10. Josh Pate had a video on this a few weeks ago. And that's factoring in all the major recruiting bumps for the largest fan base in the county (along with Ohio State)

With the internet and modern recruiting budgets, Baylor can find talented players not even ranked on the services. They will quickly get ranked once they pick up offers though! And then if they end up committing to a large fan base, they get another recruiting bump!

Baylor evaluates well and grabs a lot of speed. Their offense has more speed than Texas in many years. Most of their success has to do with one really damn good football coach who happens to be one of the worst humans on the planet. Briles also loved him some steroids. It's well known since he was at Stephenville.

Baylor plays THREE Allen High Schools a year in football. Since Briles left, their success comes from winning very close conference games. It's the same things happening at Iowa State and Oklahoma State. Texas as been losing a ton of close games. As explained in my previous post, those cupcakes matter a great deal as the season wears on.  It's not an even playing field when Texas plays a significantly harder schedule than the Baylors of the world.

Baylor has no fans. They can throw all their young players on the field and let them get experience. If they lose, no big deal. They can build a team for the future. Texas doesn't have that option. The talent is so down, Sark is actually going to get one of those rebuilding years coming up. Typically, at Texas you don't get to just throw the young talent on the field and lose some games in the name of the future.

Texas has way more pressure on them to win. These are 18-22 year old kids. Under immense pressure to win. They are expected to beat Baylor. If they beat Baylor, it is no big deal. If they lose, it's a very big deal. Baylor is not Alabama. Baylor is not LSU. Texas must out-recruit the Baylors/Oklahoma States by a very large margin or the pressure is going to cave in on the 800 pound gorilla. This is not an "entitlement" issue. It would happen to any Blueblood under the same circumstances.  In fact, Texas seems to have less (winning) standards for their program than Bama, Auburn, LSU, tOSU and the rest of the Bluebloods. There's even more pressure to win at those places.

I never said coaching wasn't part of the problem. Charlie was a terrible head football coach. Herman was a decent coach, but arrogant and unable to learn on the job. Herman could have won with a paid roster. He's a better coach than the Cookie Monster and Grass Eater Miles. He's probably better than Kirby Smart before he hired his new offensive coordinator. It's hard to attract great coaches when they know your recruiting is not at a Blueblood standard.

Sarkisian's offensive talent last year was fucking terrible. Especially without Whittington. It's been that way for a long time. You could even see from his game plans that he understands the offensive side of the ball. And we still struggled on offense. The defense has no one who can rush the passer. I'm not saying there isn't coaching issues on defense. But there's also a talent issue. The young, talented safeties should help this year. A second year in the system should help. Can we stay healthy at linebacker? There's very little behind them.

There's no excuses for the Kansas game, but OU lost to Kansas and the refs gave them a win. Sark was in year one. Lincoln Riley had all his own players and was one touchdown away from winning the conference.

If Sark had Alabama's athletes, he wins this conference last year. It was a very down year.

He breaks records on offense at Alabama and USC and looks like shit while calling the plays here. Yep, all the talent in the world. I guess you think Casey Thompson was a 4-star quarterback!!! Swoopes was an awesome quarterback prospect!! All our 4.7-4.8 receivers are 4-stars! Our runt, slow linebackers are so talented! If we could just develop our players. You bet, that's the only issue. We need to develop those players and do something about that mythical thing some idoit on the internet made up: fix that entitlement. 

You're about to see what a difference talent means. It's coming in the next few years. It could happen this year, if the QB grows up, we stay healthy and get a pass rush. We don't have depth, but at least Sark upgraded the starting line up in a major way. I wish we could stay in this shitty conference just a little longer to shut up all these midget fan bases that come on here acting like they know our program. 

Then fucking recruit better players.   Stop giving offers on players after OSU and Baylor give out offers on them.   Go find mother fuckers that play football because they love it, not because they need their ego stroked.  You think the pressure to win is worse at Texas than Alabama or LSU?  C’mon man.  

And about scheduling, there’s shit to that as well.  Those things are made far out in advance.  Baylor finally got past in the last 2 years the shittastic schedule that Briles’ ass wanted.  Rhule/Aranda have put together a schedule going forward out of conference thats as sturdy as any “P5” OOC.  And with Aranda around, I don’t think they’re scared of playing anyone in the land.  But those games aren’t as easy to schedule for a “midget school” as they are for UT because there’s nothing in it for the Blue Blood.  I guess it suck’s getting beat by “scrubby little Baylor”, but they’re in the top 15.   It’s a fucking regarded double standard.  

It’s the same double standard you’re talking about re-recruiting bumps but in reverse.  

and one more thing, not all of the fucking dudes rating recruits are idiots.  I know personally at least 3 of them that were in that game on paid sites that are now working as recruiting coordinators at big programs.  A lot of them were great athletes that got hurt and couldn’t continue playing, or try hard guys that were destined to be coaches rather than players.  

and one last thing, I have dozens of friends who are HS football coaches, many of them who went to UT, cheer for UT, or had parents that went to and played for UT, and they’re fed up with the development and “entitlement” aspects there and have pushed kids to OSU, TCU, Baylor, Tech and other places because of it   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Then fucking recruit better players.   Stop giving offers on players after OSU and Baylor give out offers on them.   Go find mother fuckers that play football because they love it, not because they need their ego stroked.  You think the pressure to win is worse at Texas than Alabama or LSU?  C’mon man.  

And about scheduling, there’s shit to that as well.  Those things are made far out in advance.  Baylor finally got past in the last 2 years the shittastic schedule that Briles’ ass wanted.  Rhule/Aranda have put together a schedule going forward out of conference thats as sturdy as any “P5” OOC.  And with Aranda around, I don’t think they’re scared of playing anyone in the land.  But those games aren’t as easy to schedule for a “midget school” as they are for UT because there’s nothing in it for the Blue Blood.  I guess it suck’s getting beat by “scrubby little Baylor”, but they’re in the top 15.   It’s a fucking regarded double standard.  

It’s the same double standard you’re talking about re-recruiting bumps but in reverse.  

and one more thing, not all of the fucking dudes rating recruits are idiots.  I know personally at least 3 of them that were in that game on paid sites that are now working as recruiting coordinators at big programs.  A lot of them were great athletes that got hurt and couldn’t continue playing, or try hard guys that were destined to be coaches rather than players.  

and one last thing, I have dozens of friends who are HS football coaches, many of them who went to UT, cheer for UT, or had parents that went to and played for UT, and they’re fed up with the development and “entitlement” aspects there and have pushed kids to OSU, TCU, Baylor, Tech and other places because of it   

Arrested Development Tobias GIF
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Is it wrong to point out that the Baylor football renaissance was built on a team building culture of roofying coeds and then videoing as the Bears ran a train on them?

Back to the realignment topic-

1. Here’s a game to play when comparing conferences, and assessing their strength. Compose a hypothetical weekly schedule how many weeks does it have games worthy of major network coverage? For example the B12 slate might have TT-UH, OSU-BYU, BU-UCF, Cincy, WVU, KU-KSU and ISU-TCU. The PAC could have UW-WSU, Oregon-ASU, Utah-UA, Cal-OSU, and Stanford-CU. Which is stronger?

2. When assessing individual schools, ask the question- “If their conference collapsed, would another power conference pick them up, or would they be joining theMWC or AAC? Probably good news for UW and Oregon, and bad news for KSU and Baylor. 

9 minutes ago, statsman said:

Back to the realignment topic-

1. Here’s a game to play when comparing conferences, and assessing their strength. Compose a hypothetical weekly schedule how many weeks does it have games worthy of major network coverage? For example the B12 slate might have TT-UH, OSU-BYU, BU-UCF, Cincy, WVU, KU-KSU and ISU-TCU. The PAC could have UW-WSU, Oregon-ASU, Utah-UA, Cal-OSU, and Stanford-CU. Which is stronger?

2. When assessing individual schools, ask the question- “If their conference collapsed, would another power conference pick them up, or would they be joining theMWC or AAC? Probably good news for UW and Oregon, and bad news for KSU and Baylor. 

Number 2 clearly depends on what you consider a "power conference."  The Big 12 basically collapsed and any power conference who wanted any of those teams could have had them.  However, that was before the Pac 12 started to collapse, so that might be different now.  The Pac 12 is on the verge of collapsing and clearly the Big 10/SEC do not want any of those teams, at least for now.  However, if the Big 12 is still a power conference team, then it seems like they would take most of the Pac 12 teams.