Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

TT? The program that hired a man from the shady world of lobbyists and politicians; a man well known to have been one involved in the shenanigans that led to the SMU death penalty. The program that hired this man, Kent Ronald Hance, as their Chancellor, who then proceeded to take the sides of his friend Craig James, the former SMU player known for taking some of these payments (CJK5H); and because this former players' son wasn't good enough to play at TT, they fired Mike Leach, the greatest coach in the history of Texas Texas football. They not only fired the school's greatest coach for not playing some scrub because his daddy had money and was friend's with Hance, but because Mike Leach was just too damn popular. They were jealous that the coach was more popular than the program. He was too successful to remain the head coach at TT. Years later they hid behind sovereign immunity instead of admitting their sins in the court of law.

This genius of a man, Kent Ronald Hance, now has a campus chapel named after him on campus and, when he retired, they gave him chancellor-emeritus for life. All this after his involvement in destroying TT football to the point it has zero chance of Power 2 inclusion.

TT, the program that never looks in the mirror but has no issue blaming Texas for everything.

We Are Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Don't come on this board defending one of the games biggest jackasses-Mike Leach.  You are conveniently leaving out the accusations he told the guy he didn't have a concussion.

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It will still be a hodgepodge of players moving all over.  Doesn't add anything of value and most would agree detracts from fandom as it currently exists in the college game.  Even 5 stars that may not start for a year or so.  Come in with lots of fan fare - usually fans are all about that person and supporting them until they get on the field.  In today's world there will be immediate rumors of an imminent transfer.  Throw in immature 18 and 19 years olds who put whatever on social media and the shitshow only intensifies.  

They're adults.  They are getting forms of compensation now.  Let them make decisions instead of shackling them.  The NCAA really can't justify this rule only for the 5 revenue sports.  No such limitation exists in the other 20 or so sports.  The NCAA until a couple of years ago put transfer limitations on walk-ons!!!  Its not about the athletes at all.

6 hours ago, bullet said:

They're adults.  They are getting forms of compensation now.  Let them make decisions instead of shackling them.  The NCAA really can't justify this rule only for the 5 revenue sports.  No such limitation exists in the other 20 or so sports.  The NCAA until a couple of years ago put transfer limitations on walk-ons!!!  Its not about the athletes at all.

I’m all about it - just saying the overall product is just less appealing.  I want them paid and let them move.  More regulation for NIL and some parameters would be nice though.  

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’m all about it - just saying the overall product is just less appealing.  I want them paid and let them move.  More regulation for NIL and some parameters would be nice though.  

Well its not as bad as basketball when you have one and dones.  Its only 5 to 15 transferring out of 85.  You can have almost the whole team change in basketball.  I grew up in Lexington and am still a UK fan, but its hard to keep track or develop attachment to the UK team now.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

HEB Plus has them pressed and packaged in-store at a few locations, so they're pretty damn good. Kroger sells 10 and 20-packs, too, near their bakery.

Don't forget Fiesta.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

HEB Plus has them pressed and packaged in-store at a few locations, so they're pretty damn good. Kroger sells 10 and 20-packs, too, near their bakery.

They also have the ones you can fry up yourself which are probably the closest thing to making em yourself.

It actually doesn't in the long run. It will lead to even more consolidation of tactics so that you're watching the same teams just wearing different uniforms. Just like the NFL where everyone runs the same stuff all the time.
Part of the beauty of college football is the talent spread leading to different tactics over the years. That has been dwindling of course, and will only be accelerated now. If I wanted to watch the NFL I would watch the NFL. To me, carbon copies of the same game being played in 16 different cities isn't "better games" despite the inarguable fact that they're being played by the best players.
If you want to see only the best play then the pinnacle of your preference would be a 2 team league. Sounds amazing. It's bad enough that in a 32 team league a clown like Jeff Fisher can survive for decades doing the most basic boring stuff and playing not to lose. That's where college football is headed if the consolidation doesn't stop and you're cheering for it.

Your points are why I prefer the NFL. I prefer a concentration of top talent as it makes a better game. I like the speed, power, and complexity of the NFL as it requires more brains actually playing the game, both with players and coaches. It’s why an nfl playbook has 10x the number of plays, blocking schemes, blitz packages, route trees, etc. it is also where the real players rise to the top and the posers are kicked to the curb.

In high school a star athlete or two can take you to state because of the dilution of talent. In college you just need a few more; Bama doesn’t have every player drafted. Likewise that All America receiver might just see an nfl level CB a couple times a season which is why rookies usually get schooled.

Do you really enjoy watching games where one opponent has zero chance of winning and a moral victory of losing only by 28 is cheered? The bigger college conferences need to play more conference games, and eliminate games against shitbirds. Better games make better ratings. As you’ll see in the SEC, the games will be tougher but it will make a better Texas program.

The transfer portal will also be more controlled without Covid craziness. And it means more churn for underperformers and opportunity for that two star that performed at Southern Miss and can now go to a top school.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think the transfer portal will hurt the product on the field way worse than NIL...How do you build a championship team with depth at critical positions when players can transfer out with no repurcussions?  I mean positions like the Line where it takes time to develop...I know starters won't transfer, but you always need good depth on the bench..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Azbadlands said:

I think the transfer portal will hurt the product on the field way worse than NIL...How do you build a championship team with depth at critical positions when players can transfer out with no repurcussions?  I mean positions like the Line where it takes time to develop...I know starters won't transfer, but you always need good depth on the bench..

Only really hurts the non-blue bloods who live off developing talent.   And, I guess, they can always go grab ex blue chips who want to play.      I'm not sure I'm ever going to fault someone for wanting to move for more playing time.   97% of them only have a 4 year window before they never play again.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Your points are why I prefer the NFL. 

You could have stopped right there beause that's the point.  If that's what you love then you already have the NFL.  God bless, watch, and enjoy.

However, some of us don't.   In fact we love college football because it's NOT the NFL, for all the reasons Huck spelled out and more.

Why do people feel compelled to take away the uniqueness just to turn it into a lower tier carbon copy of what they already have?

I'm not naive enough to think everyone will quit watching college football if that happens, but I likely wil.  I can't stand the NFL for exactly the reasons Huck detailed and haven't watched it in years.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bullet said:

Don't come on this board defending one of the games biggest jackasses-Mike Leach.  You are conveniently leaving out the accusations he told the guy he didn't have a concussion.

How dare you besmirch the name of the Dread Pirate sir. And it was pretty well known that James was a little cunt who constantly tried to get out of practice and used multiple lame ass excuses to do so. You can look at this situation through revisionist history if you want and the knowledge that we now have about concussions that we didnt have then, but it doesn't change the fact that James knowingly engineered a false narrative to try and get Leach fired including making accusations that he was locked in a closet only to find out that he went in there on his own to film with his phone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Only really hurts the non-blue bloods who live off developing talent.   And, I guess, they can always go grab ex blue chips who want to play.      I'm not sure I'm ever going to fault someone for wanting to move for more playing time.   97% of them only have a 4 year window before they never play again.

True, maybe with NIL they can entice kids to stay loyal to the school.  Maybe guarantee them some kind of bonus if they stay the whole 4 years...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

How dare you besmirch the name of the Dread Pirate sir. And it was pretty well known that James was a little cunt who constantly tried to get out of practice and used multiple lame ass excuses to do so. You can look at this situation through revisionist history if you want and the knowledge that we now have about concussions that we didnt have then, but it doesn't change the fact that James knowingly engineered a false narrative to try and get Leach fired including making accusations that he was locked in a closet only to find out that he went in there on his own to film with his phone. 

After 2008 his giving up vs. OU and then marking us down in the polls and you are still going to defend him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Leach didn’t give up against OU. They were just Tech’s fourth decent foe in a row, and on the road. Much like TT was Texas’ fourth high ranked foe in a row, and on the road. A team wears down. Texas lost in the last seconds and TT was run off the field. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, statsman said:

Leach didn’t give up against OU. They were just Tech’s fourth decent foe in a row, and on the road. Much like TT was Texas’ fourth high ranked foe in a row, and on the road. A team wears down. Texas lost in the last seconds and TT was run off the field. 

Leach gave up.  You could see it in his demeanor on the sideline.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Your points are why I prefer the NFL. I prefer a concentration of top talent as it makes a better game. I like the speed, power, and complexity of the NFL as it requires more brains actually playing the game, both with players and coaches. It’s why an nfl playbook has 10x the number of plays, blocking schemes, blitz packages, route trees, etc. it is also where the real players rise to the top and the posers are kicked to the curb.

In high school a star athlete or two can take you to state because of the dilution of talent. In college you just need a few more; Bama doesn’t have every player drafted. Likewise that All America receiver might just see an nfl level CB a couple times a season which is why rookies usually get schooled.

Do you really enjoy watching games where one opponent has zero chance of winning and a moral victory of losing only by 28 is cheered? The bigger college conferences need to play more conference games, and eliminate games against shitbirds. Better games make better ratings. As you’ll see in the SEC, the games will be tougher but it will make a better Texas program.

The transfer portal will also be more controlled without Covid craziness. And it means more churn for underperformers and opportunity for that two star that performed at Southern Miss and can now go to a top school.

3 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

You could have stopped right there beause that's the point.  If that's what you love then you already have the NFL.  God bless, watch, and enjoy.

However, some of us don't.   In fact we love college football because it's NOT the NFL, for all the reasons Huck spelled out and more.

Why do people feel compelled to take away the uniqueness just to turn it into a lower tier carbon copy of what they already have?

I'm not naive enough to think everyone will quit watching college football if that happens, but I likely wil.  I can't stand the NFL for exactly the reasons Huck detailed and haven't watched it in years.

I don't know what to think about the homogenization of tactics.  I cannot see that Wisconsin will try to become USC just because they play in the same dumb conference.  

But I do think fans of Oregon State, and Houston will stop caring about college football once they figure out they are now in the junior version of the USFL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What you love is gone with the wind unless you go watch D3 ball. I grew up watching DKR and Frank Broyles in a battle of wits; both would have been fired these days after a mediocre season. Too much money, media, pressure. Million dollar assistant coaches. The NIL and the portal have changed the landscape and it’s not changing. It’s a new game, and what will be the result? Texas is in the right spot in the SEC, things will be fine.

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

What you love is gone with the wind unless you go watch D3 ball. I grew up watching DKR and Frank Broyles in a battle of wits; both would have been fired these days after a mediocre season. Too much money, media, pressure. Million dollar assistant coaches. The NIL and the portal have changed the landscape and it’s not changing. It’s a new game, and what will be the result? Texas is in the right spot in the SEC, things will be fine.

Texas may be fine (for now) but will the sport be fine in the long run if people lose interest and stop following?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FartingDreamer said:

Texas may be fine (for now) but will the sport be fine in the long run if people lose interest and stop following?

Who's going to truly lose interest?  Did Oregon ST or Houston ever have a realistic shot at winning the MNC?  Not really.  Hell, even 1 loss TCU couldn't qualify.  It's always been this way.  At least the lower level teams will be more competitive.

3 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

people have been calling for the demise of the NFL for some time now.  apple and amazon are currently fighting for NFL scaps and willing to pay billions.  i think the same thing will happen in college football.  people will hem and haw about the good ole days and say no one will watch it anymore...then tune in on Saturday in the fall.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Who's going to truly lose interest?  Did Oregon ST or Houston ever have a realistic shot at winning the MNC?  Not really.  Hell, even 1 loss TCU couldn't qualify.  It's always been this way.  At least the lower level teams will be more competitive.

Fans of most teams, will simply lose interest in the sport since their team(s) would be cut out of the picture.  They aren't going to simply adopt new teams and follow with the same passion or interest, even if they did adopt another team.  Viewership, etc will simply decline.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

people have been calling for the demise of the NFL for some time now.  apple and amazon are currently fighting for NFL scaps and willing to pay billions.  i think the same thing will happen in college football.  people will hem and haw about the good ole days and say no one will watch it anymore...then tune in on Saturday in the fall.

Not if what makes CFB different then the NFL, ceases to be.   We already have the NFL, a college version would signal the demise of the sport, since the amatuer version wouldn't have the same appeal of the NFL, which isnt the same as the college game as it once was.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And that is what has caused the slow decline in interest in CFB, that its the same dozen teams or so that are actually given a shot in this rigged system that is setup so only the major brands can participate fully.  The sport once drew interest because programs flourished based on their own merits, that is becoming less and less so and becoming more and more predictable, stale and off-putting.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

And that is what has caused the slow decline in interest in CFB, that its the same dozen teams or so that are actually given a shot in this rigged system that is setup so only the major brands can participate fully.  The sport once drew interest because programs flourished based on their own merits, that is becoming less and less so and becoming more and more predictable, stale and off-putting.  

So what changes with the reorg?  Did Iowa St just lose their chance at winning it all? Hard to guage real interest as it seems like only Bama, tosu, Clemson, Georgia and ou/LSU truly matter.  Maybe if other teams in the Big 2 pick up the slack? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So what changes with the reorg?  Did Iowa St just lose their chance at winning it all? Hard to guage real interest as it seems like only Bama, tosu, Clemson, Georgia and ou/LSU truly matter.  Maybe if other teams in the Big 2 pick up the slack? 

If we level the playing field (by granting equal access, etc) more programs would be able to pick up the slack and thus strengthen their conferences.  Think of the fan dynamics in college basketball compared to football.  There's more competitiveness and parity and thus more distributed fan support.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

If we level the playing field (by granting equal access, etc) more programs would be able to pick up the slack and thus strengthen their conferences.  Think of the fan dynamics in college basketball compared to football.  There's more competitiveness and parity and thus more distributed fan support.  

image.gif.6e64f9d5e51570d91afeb2c795ab2b50.gif

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What does "by granting equal access" mean, specifically?

By having a playoff structure where each team in FBS controls their own destiny by their play on the field (ie winning).  This is the only division or level of football that doesn't allow for that for a majority of the teams.  

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

You're just an overly neg-repping toxic presence to this forum, you seriously need to get a life.  

Got a flight back in country that is delayed and have a lot of down time. I don’t like anything about you, but won’t go there. Probably shouldn’t start shit. I guess I’ll keep going. Stop sending me bitch made PMs. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

Got a flight back in country that is delayed and have a lot of down time. I don’t like anything about you, but won’t go there. Probably shouldn’t start shit. I guess I’ll keep going. Stop sending me bitch made PMs. 

I'm dying.....

Edited by closetohumping

7 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

By having a playoff structure where each team in FBS controls their own destiny by their play on the field (ie winning).  This is the only division or level of football that doesn't allow for that for a majority of the teams.  

The problem with this idea is that it incentivizes teams in weaker conferences playing weak schedules, shooting for that magic undefeated season they would never get if they played a big league schedule. Example- BYU in 1984. The best team they beat was 7-4 Michigan. There were a number of two or three loss teams that would have crushed them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, statsman said:

The problem with this idea is that it incentivizes teams in weaker conferences playing weak schedules, shooting for that magic undefeated season they would never get if they played a big league schedule. Example- BYU in 1984. The best team they beat was 7-4 Michigan. There were a number of two or three loss teams that would have crushed them. 

Supposedly, Washington would have been one of those mythical teams.  BYU crushed them 31-0 or 31-3 the next season.  And it's not like schools in weaker conferences choose to schedule weaker competition like SEC teams do OOC.  BYU has never shied away from playing tougher competition OOC while in a conference and especially as an independent.  

There goes Porterhouse again, negging away like the irritated vag that he is.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Then don't start shit you virus-riddled pussy.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah, right.  Is having a delayed flight code for existing in your mother's basement?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

At first, I was just irritated you went on a cute little cockdaddy BYU tirade. Then I started reading your dumbass posts. You and Steve Young should be knitted together in magic underwear and slingshot to the heavens.  

Keep testing me, fucko, and I’ll Nauvoo your ass, Brigham  

2 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Yeah, right.  Is having a delayed flight code for existing in your mother's basement?

Lol. Ft. Lauderdale airport after coming back from Cayman. Want pics?

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

At first, I was just irritated you went on a cute little cockdaddy BYU tirade. Then I started reading your dumbass posts. You and Steve Young should be knitted together in magic underwear and slingshot to the heavens.  

Keep testing me, fucko, and I’ll Nauvoo your ass, Brigham  

Lol. Ft. Lauderdale airport after coming back from Cayman. Want pics?

Pics of your mother's basement?  No thanks.  

You just exposed yourself as a toxic bigot.  I can play this game too, now fuck off.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2