Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

14 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Y’all really seem to missing the point with the future Big 12, they can not compete with the SEC or Big 10, nobody can. But the Big 12 will have interesting and fun football, they will never be able to compete with things like Texas vs Bama or USC vs OSU, but 5-0 UCF vs 4-0 OKstate  is going to be a lot more interesting than 2-3 Mizzou vs 3-1 Scar or 0-4 Illinois vs 2-3 Maryland. They aren’t competing with that top end of the Big 2 they are competing with the 3rd and 4th rate programs. 

Your post is fallacious. Your comparison should be like this:

5-0 UCF vs 4-0 OKstate OR 5-0 Georgia vs 4-0 Texas.

2-3 Mizzou vs 3-1 SoCar OR 2-3 Baylor vs 3-1 ISU.

0-4 Illinois vs 2-3 Maryland OR 0-4 TT vs 2-3 Cincy.

Given those matchups, the SEC and B1G, bad as those records are, will still collect more viewrs than the B12, IMO.

4 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Your post is fallacious. Your comparison should be like this:

5-0 UCF vs 4-0 OKstate OR 5-0 Georgia vs 4-0 Texas.

2-3 Mizzou vs 3-1 SoCar OR 2-3 Baylor vs 3-1 ISU.

0-4 Illinois vs 2-3 Maryland OR 0-4 TT vs 2-3 Cincy.

Given those matchups, the SEC and B1G, bad as those records are, will still collect more viewrs than the B12, IMO.

That's a terrible comparison.   It isn't really a debate whether undefeated Ohio State or Texas can out draw UCF.  I don't think anyone with a brain would start arguing against that.   5-0 Georgia v 4-0 Texas will ALWAYS have a T-1 designation, hell all of Texas' games were T1 last year with 5 wins.

What will be interesting is how the top end of the non B1G/SEC can compete with the rest of the games.   For instance, does 2-3 Mizzou v 3-1 SoCar get pushed to the SECN so that 5-0 UCF vs 4-0 OkSt gets a national spot.   I'd wager yes since nearly all of Missouri's games were on the SECN last year as it is.   The vast majority of the SEC/B1G's games will be on their conference networks.   I'd be surprised if the South Carolina's of the world ever got on national tv again.

He's just making stuff up.  Oilers did well.  Only time UH was down in the teens was in those immediate post SWC years.

Oilers did well in the living ya blue years. During the Moon years, the Oilers often had issues selling out. My cousins down there would drive to ft Worth to watch blacked out games at my house. They went to a wild card game or two that didn’t sell out.

UH with the most explosive offense to date in college usually drew about 8000, one of the primary factors in the demise of the sec which was the 50/50 gate split.

5 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Is this why Notre Dame went Independent? Because they were scared of Purdue?

ND 'went' independent for the same reason the USA left the Japanese Co-Prosperity Sphere 

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Oilers did well in the living ya blue years. During the Moon years, the Oilers often had issues selling out. My cousins down there would drive to ft Worth to watch blacked out games at my house. They went to a wild card game or two that didn’t sell out.

UH with the most explosive offense to date in college usually drew about 8000, one of the primary factors in the demise of the sec which was the 50/50 gate split.

Why didn't all of the Horns and Aggies in Houston watch their team play Cougs?

40 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Damn

40 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Since 1996, their worst average attendance year was 14,896, and that was CUSA.   You are just totally making stuff up.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

ND 'went' independent for the same reason the USA left the Japanese Co-Prosperity Sphere 

Why didn't all of the Horns and Aggies in Houston watch their team play Cougs?

Again, he's just making stuff up.

I remember trying to go to a game in the Dome and after waiting for an hour in the ticket line (and I didn't get there until game time) gave up and went home.

• Hook 'Em 1

SBJ Media: Big Ten talks in the home stretch

August 8, 2022

I’m heading on vacation to the Delaware shore next week, which undoubtedly means that this will be one of the busiest weeks of the year!

Fox, CBS, NBC look likely to win Big Ten deals

Barring a last-minute change of direction in the Big Ten’s media rights negotiations, ESPN will be without the conference’s football and basketball games for the first time in 40 years. With Big Ten negotiations nearing an end -- I’m told agreements could be reached by the end of this week or push into next -- CBS and NBC have emerged as the clear front runners to pick up Big Ten rights alongside Fox Sports.

ESPN still is negotiating with the conference, and as long as they’re talking there remains the possibility ESPN could wind up with a package. Remember, Chicago-born Bob Chapek graduated from Indiana and earned an MBA from Michigan State, creating deep Big Ten roots between the conference and Disney leadership that can’t be overlooked. Conversations with several sources describe ESPN on the outside looking in with a bid that is not big enough to secure a deal. All it takes is a Chapek phone call to increase that bid.

Fox agreed to the "A" package months ago. As part of its deal, it will carry a football game on the broadcast network at noon ET, plus football games on its cable channels FS1 and BTN, in which it holds a 60% stake.

The conference’s deals with CBS and NBC are not finalized. But it looks like the two networks are in the lead to split a "B" package. CBS would pick up games for the 3:30pm ET window, and NBC would carry games in primetime. NBC’s streaming service, Peacock, also would wind up carrying some games. Amazon has bid on these packages, but sources described CBS and NBC as the clear front-runners.

The Big Ten is expected to be the first college conference to eclipse $1 billion per year in rights fees once all is said and done.

If ESPN does not get a package, it would end one of the longest-standing sports media relationships in the business. ABC started carrying Big Ten games in 1966, and ESPN cut its first deal with the conference in 1982.

If ESPN moves on from the Big Ten, look for the company to be especially aggressive in trying to secure Big 12 and Pac-12 rights, as well as renewing its deals with the NCAA Championships and College Football Playoffs.

So Fox gets tier 1 choices like Ohio State for Big Noon and whenever USC goes to a decent opponent. Crap games on FS1. CBS gets a tier 2 at 2:30 and NBC gets a primetime tier 2 game while probably trading Fox for a game every now and then. 

Edited by mdmost

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So Fox gets tier 1 choices like Ohio State for Big Noon and whenever USC goes to a decent opponent. Crap games on FS1. CBS gets a tier 2 at 2:30 and NBC gets a primetime tier 2 game while probably trading Fox for a game every now and then. 

That's big news.  Probably good news for Pac and Big 12.

1 minute ago, bullet said:

That's big news.  Probably good news for Pac and Big 12.

I'd say that's good news for us and OU getting out of the Big 12 faster. I'm not sure what choice the Big 12 has if NBC and CBS are locked up with the Big 10. If you go with NBC, you're relegated to Peacock. Maybe you get some games on USA but I wouldn't bet on that. 

Edited by mdmost

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd say that's good news for us and OU getting out of the Big 12 faster. I'm not sure what choice the Big 12 has if NBC and CBS are locked up with the Big 10. If you go with NBC, you're relegated to Peacock. Maybe you get some games on USA but I wouldn't bet on that. 

You think they’re going to put Tech vs Baylor on peacock?  Come on now

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I assume the “S” in “SBJ” stands for “super”?  I could go for an SBJ right about now…..

16 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

basically the same as above with time frames.

im guessing that this forces ND into the big 10? or you think there is any way the SEC doesn't just got fucking ape shit and offer them the world.

My guess is that this helps ND stay indyacc. NBC can still resign ND for a bigger paycheck, but not as much as B1G payouts, and will still prioritize ND home games on NBC with one or two a season on Peacock. If there comes a weekend that NBC can get a huge B1G game on in primetime the same weekend as an ND home game, ND will play at 3:30p for a double header. While TV loves the primetime games, the fans love the day games. This is NBC building out their CFB content, not doing away with what they have now. They could easily write it in the contract, assuming NBC and other partners don't balk, that they get first dibs on ND away games vs B1G opponents. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

This is HUGE for the Big Ten, they will be nearly clearly in the media revenue lead for a while.

Also HUGE news for the Irish and the ACC, as the domers can stay indy.

This is terrible news for the Pac 12 and Big 12, who needed the CBS or NBC window.

I'm guessing the Big 12 has the advantage here to play "let's make a deal" with the exit, but its a coin toss at this point.

Edited by Hurtlocker

23 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This is HUGE for the Big Ten, they will be nearly clearly in the media revenue lead for a while.

This is terrible news for the Pac 12 and Big 12, who needed the CBS or NBC window.

I'm guessing the Big 12 has the advantage here to play "let's make a deal" with the exit, but its a coin toss at this point.

Wonder how the sec feels about this?

22 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They've always had the option to stay Indy, but if this report is accurate they also just lost their exclusive NBC/ND CFB arrangement.

And of course, the money from the deal is going to be massively more than ND can make on their deal.  If anything, NBC inking a primetime deal with the B1G makes me think it's more likely ND has given the networks a heads up they will be joining the B1G - tough for me to think there is enough content in the current B1G for 3 national OTA games.

Add ND/Stanford/Oregon/Washington and there probably is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

im guessing that this forces ND into the big 10? or you think there is any way the SEC doesnt just got fucking ape shit and offer them the world.

Nah, Notre Dame would be the 2-3pm start on NBC for their 6-7 games a year assuming they get $75 million/year.

Obviously not 100% on how they are divvying up the right but if an 8-10 team conference had a single tier 1 game I assume a 16 team conference would have 2 tier 1 games and 2 tier 2 games.

Tier 3 All day: SEC t3 on SECN, ACC t3 on ACCN, B12t3 on ESPN+, B1G t3 on BTN, PAC??

11a: FOX B1G tier 1, ABC/ESPN ACC/SEC tier 2, B12 tier 1???, PAC n/a

Midday: NBC ND, CBS B1G tier2, ABC SEC tier 1, ESPN ACC/SEC tier 2, PAC/B12???, FOX???

Prime: NBC B1G tier 2, ABC/ESPN SEC/ACC tier 1, FOX B1G tier 1, CBS n/a, PAC tier 1??? B12???

Late (cable or streaming only no broadcast networks): FS1/BTN B1G tier 2/3, PAC (likely ESPN), maybe B12

What this means for the Big 12 and PAC10:

FOX still needs inventory.  If they gave away the tier 2 games from the Big Ten they’ll need filler for their midday on FOX and all day on FS1/2/+ plus a need for a late night spot. Guessing it’s about 3-4 games.

NBC could still use some good rights to offset ND’s away games (which will mostly be on ESPN/ABC). Half of the B12/P10 t1 rights could be worth something to them especially if they partner strategically with ESPN for scheduling since they basically already share ND.

CBS has likely spent all they are going to spend on college football.

ESPN will need more inventory, they basically have 14 spots to fill with t1/2 rights (3 on ABC/ESPNU, and 4 on ESPN/ESPN2). They have rights to the Sun Belt and the American and a few late night Mountain West games but those are only good for 3/4 games a weekend on ESPN2/U mostly. If we assume the SEC/ACC will fill 8 spots that still leaves a 2-3 game gap that they’ll want to fill with a need for Late kicks.

I could see ESPN/NBC sharing tier one rights 50/50 for the B12/PAC.

Prime time is going to be crowded. B1G t1 on FOX and t2 on NBC. SEC/ACC on ABC/ESPN/2. Not much room for B12/PAC they’ll fill the lesser FS1/ESPNU channels or go with a non traditional streaming partner.

I see why the PAC schools like Arizona are far more valuable to the B12 right now, and if they can’t make that work I think SDSU and Boise might be #13/14 for the B12 for them to make their TV contract more valuable, since LATE kick will be extremely valuable for both ESPN and FOX.

Giving ESPN 11am t1 content opposite FOX’s Big Noon and at least 1 weekly game inventory set for LATE kick, plus locally interesting midday filler is where the Big 12 can make it’s money.

The PAC is hamstrung with only midday and LATE kick as it’s real value play. They should be selling the Stanford/ND game hard for that NBC spot plus any other angles they can play like Cal/UCLA or the Rose Bowl story line. If they don’t land NBC their best bet is getting their t1 inventory on FOX opposite the SEC game of the week and ND (which won’t look good for their next contract).

Unless something drastic happens the Big 12 is going to win out…eventually.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

They've always had the option to stay Indy, but if this report is accurate they also just lost their exclusive NBC/ND CFB arrangement.

And of course, the money from the deal is going to be massively more than ND can make on their deal.  If anything, NBC inking a primetime deal with the B1G makes me think it's more likely ND has given the networks a heads up they will be joining the B1G - tough for me to think there is enough content in the current B1G for 3 national OTA games.

Add ND/Stanford/Oregon/Washington and there probably is.

Eh, no.   If NBC is bidding on the B Prime game for the Big Ten, it means their 3:30 A slot is dedicated to ND.   ND has already said they need $75m a year to stay Indy.   They get $12m from the ACC, so NBC just needs to pay them a bit over $50m for that slot, which they made more valuable by adding a game after.

If the Big Ten had taken the NBC 3:30, then ND would be having issues.  

The Big Ten is likely waiting until closer to 2034 for the next ND talk, which also means Oregon/Washington/Stanford aren't getting a lifeline.

Snap judgement on the Big 12 though may be wrong.   the mouse needs to fill 6 games on ESPN/ABC per Saturday.   I'm confident they'll get 4 from the SEC/ACC, leaving a couple to pick up for either the Big 12/Pac12.   I'd expect that we see the Big 12 get Noon/3:30 openings, along with a Thursday ABC package, while the Pac 12 grabs a Prime/late night dual, with a Friday ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Eh, no.   If NBC is bidding on the B Prime game for the Big Ten, it means their 3:30 A slot is dedicated to ND.   ND has already said they need $75m a year to stay Indy.   They get $12m from the ACC, so NBC just needs to pay them a bit over $50m for that slot, which they made more valuable by adding a game after.

If the Big Ten had taken the NBC 3:30, then ND would be having issues.  

The Big Ten is likely waiting until closer to 2034 for the next ND talk, which also means Oregon/Washington/Stanford aren't getting a lifeline.

Snap judgement on the Big 12 though may be wrong.   the mouse needs to fill 6 games on ESPN/ABC per Saturday.   I'm confident they'll get 4 from the SEC/ACC, leaving a couple to pick up for either the Big 12/Pac12.   I'd expect that we see the Big 12 get Noon/3:30 openings, along with a Thursday ABC package, while the Pac 12 grabs a Prime/late night dual, with a Friday ESPN.

NBC national has never been the kind to go for "B prime" anything. 

I suspect they're being guaranteed the exclusive national B1G night game and that will be the #2 or #3 game each week.

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

I don't think they ever had much of a shot at CBS or NBC prime slots.  Now they have a better chance of keeping ESPN.

40 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

NBC national has never been the kind to go for "B prime" anything. 

I suspect they're being guaranteed the exclusive national B1G night game and that will be the #2 or #3 game each week.

Right, but the top game of the week, the A game, is Fox Noon.

The second pick will likely swap between NBC Prime and CBS 3:30, as neither want to pay as much as Fox.   

Its also the B game for NBC, because their 3:30 A match up is anything involving ND.

45 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Man this seems high.   They were paying $75m a year for the top SEC game of the week and wouldn't pay $300m for the league they've been marketing for two decades.

Now they're going to pay $350m for the second or third best Big Ten game of the week?   

This has a bit of leaking in negotiations stink to it.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Right, but the top game of the week, the A game, is Fox Noon.

The second pick will likely swap between NBC Prime and CBS 3:30, as neither want to pay as much as Fox.   

Its also the B game for NBC, because their 3:30 A match up is anything involving ND.

I’m assuming that the Big Ten and FOX gave at least one exclusive window but I doubt they gave 2.  I’m leaning towards CBS got the exclusive opposite the SEC game of the week on ABC and ND on NBC; and NBC will be competing directly with FOX during prime time.

No way does FOX only get a single Big Ten game on its main broadcast network and still have to fill its midday AND prime time slots with B12/PAC content.

7 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Man this seems high.   They were paying $75m a year for the top SEC game of the week and wouldn't pay $300m for the league they've been marketing for two decades.

Now they're going to pay $350m for the second or third best Big Ten game of the week?   

That’s how much ESPN paid for the SEC game of the week.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense that CBS didn’t pony up for what was commonly the best game of the week in college football that they made bank on for decades, and now they do for what won’t even be the best game in a conference.

If they pull it off, it just once again proves that the Big Ten has the best front office people in the business.

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m assuming that the Big Ten and FOX gave at least one exclusive window but I doubt they gave 2.  I’m leaning towards CBS got the exclusive opposite the SEC game of the week on ABC and ND on NBC; and NBC will be competing directly with FOX during prime time.

No way does FOX only get a single Big Ten game on its main broadcast network and still have to fill its midday AND prime time slots with B12/PAC content.

Fox doesn't really run 3 games a day.    They run about 30 games total throughout the season.  So I'm with you, but I'm not sure they're paying for a lot of extra big ten games, especially not the 4th one.   They do get the BTN too, and could dump shit on FS1.  Maybe Fox gets into the Big12/Pac12 too then for a game a week.   

19 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

That’s how much ESPN paid for the SEC game of the week.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense that CBS didn’t pony up for what was commonly the best game of the week in college football that they made bank on for decades, and now they do for what won’t even be the best game in a conference.

If they pull it off, it just once again proves that the Big Ten has the best front office people in the business.

Yeah ABC gave the SEC $300M for their T1 rights, including the CCG, but by gaining them all, they can put them wherever they want them or show more than one a week.   Easier to make a dime on that.   

$350m for 13-14 games at 3:30 every week, without a CCG, when it's NEVER the top game of that week?     The Cocktail party will outdraw Michigan State/Wisconsin.  Something's wack or CBS is dumb.

49 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Fox doesn't really run 3 games a day.    They run about 30 games total throughout the season.  So I'm with you, but I'm not sure they're paying for a lot of extra big ten games, especially not the 4th one.   They do get the BTN too, and could dump shit on FS1.  Maybe Fox gets into the Big12/Pac12 too then for a game a week.

You’re assuming they’d get the 4th one but we don’t know the distribution of their 1st tier rights yet. Tier One doesn’t necessarily mean only one game.  They could have bargained for 1st that includes 2nd game options (think the once a year SEC on CBS double header) with CBS/NBC rotating 2nd/3rd/4th and 5-8+ going to FS1/BTN.  The upper tier of Michigan/Ohio St playing the worst teams would justify at least FS1 and then you’d still have the mid tier of USC, Penn St, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Michigan St as draws as long as they aren’t playing an unranked low tier.

Also now that in 2021 for 6 weeks FOX only has an early and midday game, I think lack of a prime time game mostly coincided with MLB playoffs but that’s not all of it. For the other 7 weeks of the regular season FOX has games in all 3 windows and did 4 with a Friday night game once and 5 on thanksgiving fri/sat.

That’s 36 games on their flagship channel. I was roughly estimating 39 for my analysis.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

My point is that if we assume FOX is only getting a single Big Ten game each week, then they still have 20-23 or so games to fill and then they’d still have to put something on FS1 or it’s going to get dropped from cable. So I’m guessing we’ll see 2 Big Ten games on FOX during early OOC season and after the conclusion of the MLB postseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I wonder if there's something brewing beneath the surface with additional Big Ten expansion.  Maybe they've got ND on the hook.  

6 hours ago, Gidnik said:

im guessing that this forces ND into the big 10? or you think there is any way the SEC doesnt just got fucking ape shit and offer them the world.

I probably don't have to tell you how a large share of Irish fans would appreciate an end to night games, and no standing allowed. 

One thing I don't quite get.  We went from 'FOX owns the BUG' to a buffet table shared with two of their competitors?

Edited by notre dame joe

3 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I wonder if there's something brewing beneath the surface with additional Big Ten expansion.  Maybe they've got ND on the hook.  

Agreed, I just don't see the B1G having the lineup to fill out 3 national OTA games for the type of numbers being thrown around unless the networks know something we don't.

It's either ND or maybe the B1G has agreed to play more conference games to increase ratings.  It seems like we're missing something.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I probably don't have to tell you how a large share of Irish fans would appreciate an end to night games, and no standing allowed. 

One thing I don't quite get.  We went from 'FOX owns the BUG' to a buffet table shared with two of their competitors?

I assume the OTA networks all want a piece of the expanded CFB playoff coming in a few years, wouldn't be shocked if the networks all want to work through the B1G to assure they get the number of games they want out of that deal.

I'm convinced the biggest reason the expanded playoff didn't happen was because Fox wanted it to go to bid instead of expanding it and letting ESPN control the entire thing.

Part of the B1G's numbers are likely that FOX/CBS/NBC are tired of ESPN owning the entire sport... Cutting ESPN off from the B1G changes that dynamic considerably, even more so if the B1G expands to 20 with ND and 3 additional partners.

• Hook 'Em 2

How does this work if say, USC is at home vs Ohio State and both are highly ranked? Fox for sure wants that game for its Big Noon but they aren’t going to make them kick off at 9am Pacific.

Do they swap time slots with an NBC or CBS to get the game later in the day? Or would they let that game go to a competitor? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

How does this work if say, USC is at home vs Ohio State and both are highly ranked? Fox for sure wants that game for its Big Noon but they aren’t going to make them kick off at 9am Pacific.

Do they swap time slots with an NBC or CBS to get the game later in the day? Or would they let that game go to a competitor? 

Hey, you wanted a west coast presence, deal with it, B1G and USC/UCLA.  Make them kickoff at 9am Pacific. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

I hope the huge conference games hosted by USC and UCLA (trips from Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State) will be scheduled for November.  Since baseball will be over by then that lets Fox broadcast them in a window that isn't a "fuck you" to anyone attending the game.  From a ratings perspective that would be better too.  10-0 #2 Ohio State at 9-1 #5 USC kicking off at 5 PM PT (8 PM ET) in November would get more hype and attention than a week 3 game at 9 AM PT (noon ET) when they're both 2-0 after playing a couple G5 scrimmages.  9 AM local kickoff will kill any semblance of a fun atmosphere inside the stadium.  Before 2020 that wouldn't seem like a big deal, but now we all know how important the stadium atmosphere is to the quality of a game's broadcast and how much it detracts from the game when it's absent.

It's also likely with the massive sums they're reporting CBS and NBC are paying they will have a week or two each year where they get first pick of games.  Another possibility is scheduling a second huge game the week USC/UCLA hosts a team like Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State.  I think Fox could live with Ohio State/Penn State at noon while CBS or NBC gets Michigan/USC.

In any case, I'm confident this is something USC's leadership discussed with the Big 10 and Fox when they applied to the conference.  For the first time in my life USC's leaders are putting USC's interests first and throwing some weight around instead of letting the Oregons and Washington States and Arizonas of the world pick USC's pockets and call it parity and stability.  Part of that would include not playing the biggest home game of the season at a time that is outright hostile to your boosters and donors and STHs.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

ESPN is also officially out it appears:

I wonder if this causes ESPN to double back on the P12 at all. P12/B12 are going to be in a deathmatch for the final ESPN media rights slots with the loser likely going to streaming platforms as a main revenue source. Amazon, Apple+, Hulu, etc could still be pretty viable but I have a hard time seeing them throwing around the kind of cash that the networks would.  

Also wishfully thinking, if there is an imminent decision, it could force the B12 to open up their negotiations early and not give the P12 a year to work with ESPN on a deal without competition. This would also, in turn, allow TX and OU to leave which could be an ESPN end game and save 160 million in the process. 

Edited by Vertigo