Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So this could mean any number of things. Are Texas and OU going next year? Is this more to not mess up the future schedules and get everyone moving towards getting new OOC opponents? Maybe ESPN has told the Big 12 that the new contract will be advantageous but only if Texas and OU are allowed to leave next year?

Very interesting. With all the realignment, it better not fuck up our 2027 at Michigan. I want to see a game at the Big House but only traveling that far to watch the Horns beat them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, n64ra said:

Very interesting. With all the realignment, it better not fuck up our 2027 at Michigan. I want to see a game at the Big House but only traveling that far to watch the Horns beat them.

I hope our move to the SEC doesn't fuck up any future interesting road trips. 

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So this could mean any number of things. Are Texas and OU going next year? Is this more to not mess up the future schedules and get everyone moving towards getting new OOC opponents? Maybe ESPN has told the Big 12 that the new contract will be advantageous but only if Texas and OU are allowed to leave next year?

This would be fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I choose to believe it means we're going in 2023 and our game in Tuscaloosa is staying right where it's at on September 9th to be the much hyped first conference game of the new SEC. That's what I want to believe so I choose to do so. 

Interesting. Makes sense.

But if GM 1 is next September then it stands to reason that GM 2 would be in ‘24 in Austin - meaning a three year run with matchups against Bama. Not a bad gig.

We’ve been saying it all along that BigTeeVee would determine when these new schedules befin so I hope what Thamel’s text infers is correct.

I think we are all weary of the talk and are ready to just move on.

9 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

But if GM 1 is next September then it stands to reason that GM 2 would be in ‘24 in Austin - meaning a three year run with matchups against Bama. Not a bad gig.

We’ve been saying it all along that BigTeeVee would determine when these new schedules befin so I hope what Thamel’s text infers is correct.

And the TV and streaming numbers  from Saturday probably helped this along.  

Time to go!    Can we all gather at our last home game in the Rig 12 and moon the Ref crew on the way off the field?     Win or lose.   

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

id rather play bama next year with an experience ewers vs i guess milroe for bama ? 

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And the TV and streaming numbers  from Saturday probably helped this along.  

Time to go!    Can we all gather at our last home game in the Rig 12 and moon the Ref crew on the way off the field?     Win or lose.   

Sec usually releases their schedules end of this month beginning of October. 

Not necessarily. If the SEC goes to the three permanent opponent structure, Alabama and Texas would not be playing every year. So the return to Austin might not happen in 24, but rather sometime by 2026 or something, depending on how they structure it.

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Not necessarily. If the SEC goes to the three permanent opponent structure, Alabama and Texas would not be playing every year. So the return to Austin might not happen in 24, but rather sometime by 2026 or something, depending on how they structure it.

Back to the 3 permanent rivals discussion/ structure:

This article covers the whole idea:

How to build your own 16-team SEC schedule | GatorCountry.com

I don't know if this is how anyone else on here had it organized, but I think they one they put together is solid:

Team Opponent 1 Opponent 2 Opponent 3
Alabama Auburn Tennessee Miss St.
Arkansas Missouri Texas Texas A&M
Auburn Alabama Georgia Vanderbilt
Florida Georgia Tennessee South Carolina
Georgia Auburn Florida South Carolina
Kentucky South Carolina Miss St. Missouri
LSU Miss Texas A&M Oklahoma
Miss Miss St. LSU Vanderbilt
Miss St. Miss Alabama Kentucky
Missouri Arkansas Oklahoma Kentucky
Oklahoma Texas Missouri LSU
South Carolina Georgia Kentucky Florida
Tennessee Alabama Vanderbilt Florida
Texas Oklahoma Texas A&M Arkansas
Texas A&M Texas Arkansas LSU
Vanderbilt Tennessee Miss Auburn

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I don't know if this is how anyone else on here had it organized, but I think they one they put together is solid:

He is a Gator fan so he forces Florida/Tennessee over Tenn/Kentucky, and Arkansas/Mizzou over Ark/LSU, after that everything just falls in line.  But not a bad list.

My only issue is the odd rivalry week games, which would be LSU/OU and Arkansas/Mizzou. LSU/Arkansas and Oklahoma/Mizzou seems more appropriate and if they renew Bedlam/Border War it works out perfectly.

59 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

He is a Gator fan so he forces Florida/Tennessee over Tenn/Kentucky, and Arkansas/Mizzou over Ark/LSU, after that everything just falls in line.  But not a bad list.

My only issue is the odd rivalry week games, which would be LSU/OU and Arkansas/Mizzou. LSU/Arkansas and Oklahoma/Mizzou seems more appropriate and if they renew Bedlam/Border War it works out perfectly.

Not too bad, but UK does lose the one school they would most want.  And I can't see why Auburn would be stuck with Vandy.  Kentucky, South Carolina or Missouri would make more sense.

58 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

guessing they went "We're leaving!"  then looked at all the work it would take to recreate the NCAA and said, "we're changing you!"

They figured out that if they break out it's all on them.  Much easier to keep a super weakened NCAA as the convenient punching bag and default excuse for anything that goes wrong.  "But the NCAA!!!"

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, hook me said:

In a game TTU was favored by 3 or 4 at kickoff.... 

Which apparently was pretty spot on.  Looking at UH's schedule - they will be favored (and likely win) their remaining 10 games leading up to the conference championship.  They were hoping to be this years Cincinnati and make it to the playoff but Tech shit on that dream.  Of course, Houston could have been undefeated last year heading in the conference championship but Tech fucked that up for them as well.

Point is that it is good for Tech and UH to have reasons to want to pummel each other and have bragging rights (especially with schools in the same state where you, your friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. all went to different schools.)

Edited by Loose Stool

3 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

Bob Thompson would know.  I can't see any way that the PAC survives all of this.  

Big 12 adds the Four Corners.
Big Ten adds Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington
Notre Dame remains independent.

Disney gets Big 12 hoops - which is even better now, Big 12 Tier 3 (ESPN+), and Big 12 After Dark as an upgrade over PAC After Dark.
FOX gets a national conference, with a ton of brands, and essentially a merger of the PAC and Big 10.

By breaking the PAC up, and shuffling its members into eastern conferences, both networks probably end up improving national exposure for the west coast schools.  Maybe that helps with fan interest decline on the west coast.

As a consolation prize to Wazzu and Oregon State, they both probably end up with a more clear path to an expanded CFP via the MWC.  

1 minute ago, camel at sea said:

Bob Thompson would know.  I can't see any way that the PAC survives all of this.  

Big 12 adds the Four Corners.
Big Ten adds Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington
Notre Dame remains independent.

Disney gets Big 12 hoops - which is even better now, Big 12 Tier 3 (ESPN+), and Big 12 After Dark as an upgrade over PAC After Dark.
FOX gets a national conference, with a ton of brands, and essentially a merger of the PAC and Big 10.

By breaking the PAC up, and shuffling its members into eastern conferences, both networks probably end up improving national exposure for the west coast schools.  Maybe that helps with fan interest decline on the west coast.

As a consolation prize to Wazzu and Oregon State, they both probably end up with a more clear path to an expanded CFP via the MWC.  

Agree with this.  The MWC will be either the 5th or 6th conference every single year.  Those schools will be in a great spot to win it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loose Stool said:

Which apparently was pretty spot on.  Looking at UH's schedule - they will be favored (and likely win) their remaining 10 games leading up to the conference championship.  They were hoping to be this years Cincinnati and make it to the playoff but Tech shit on that dream.  Of course, Houston could have been undefeated last year heading in the conference championship but Tech fucked that up for them as well.

Point is that it is good for Tech and UH to have reasons to want to pummel each other and have bragging rights (especially with schools in the same state where you, your friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. all went to different schools.)

Bragging rights are cool & I'm perfectly fine with in-state rivalries & pumped up fan bases.

Rushing the field because you beat a team you were favored to beat, & a current G5 school at that, is lame & perfectly on script for TTU.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wouldn't the BIG have an "after dark" game too most weeks if not all? I think that might hurt the general valuation based on that game, especially since the "four corners" only gets us into mountain time and not pacific.

Yeah but it would be on FS1 or BTN versus the Big 12 on ESPN main which has nearly 4x more carriage.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hook me said:

Bragging rights are cool & I'm perfectly fine with in-state rivalries & pumped up fan bases.

Rushing the field because you beat a team you were favored to beat, & a current G5 school at that, is lame & perfectly on script for TTU.

They rushed the field because it was an exciting game in double overtime with a finish that was crazy.  4th and 20 conversion followed by a winning TD.  It wasn't because it was UH or even because UH was ranked.  It was simply because the way that game went the adrenaline was off the charts.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wouldn't the BIG have an "after dark" game too most weeks if not all? I think that might hurt the general valuation based on that game, especially since the "four corners" only gets us into mountain time and not pacific.

Arizona is on west coast time through the first (or sometimes second)  Saturday in November every year. No daylight saving time. Doesn't apply to games at Colorado or Utah, obviously, but something to consider. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

46 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah but it would be on FS1 or BTN versus the Big 12 on ESPN main which has nearly 4x more carriage.

B1G is also talking about the possibility of going back to ESPN with "After Dark" games only.   However, I cannot imagine Oregon, Washington, and USC want to be playing all of their games after the east coast has gone to bed.   I also cannot imagine that you'd be able to fund them with those games alone.   

That slot is important because 2.4m at 10pm eastern is just not achievable in any other way.    But you're not going to net 5m eyeballs there.   So, while you pay a bit of a premium, its like paying 4m rates for 2.5m.   If you're a big brand its terrible because you miss nearly everyone and aren't adding exposure.  If you're an up and coming brand it is great, like MACtion, because you're isolated and on with little competition.

Either the Big 12 or Pac is going to have to do this for the next contract.   There will be a T1 game on Saturday, but have to be a Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night.   Its not the best, but being on iso is way better than those games on FS1 on Saturday.   I'd take the worst times on the best channels over the best times on the worst channels.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

They rushed the field because it was an exciting game in double overtime with a finish that was crazy.  4th and 20 conversion followed by a winning TD.  It wasn't because it was UH or even because UH was ranked.  It was simply because the way that game went the adrenaline was off the charts.

none of that changes the point that was made. TTU was favored by a FG+ at home vs a G5 school & pulled it out in 2OT. Congrats. Yell really loud, jump & holler, throw tortillas, but stay in the stands. 4th & 20 followed by a game winning TD... 15ish plays & probably 30ish minutes later? TTU fans are too easily excitable.

20 minutes ago, hook me said:

none of that changes the point that was made. TTU was favored by a FG+ at home vs a G5 school & pulled it out in 2OT. Congrats. Yell really loud, jump & holler, throw tortillas, but stay in the stands. 4th & 20 followed by a game winning TD... 15ish plays & probably 30ish minutes later? TTU fans are too easily excitable.

Meh...college kids who haven't had much to cheer about in the football program for a very long time had some fun after an adrenaline-filled 2OT victory over a ranked squad.  Not really the big deal you're making it out to be.

It's college...let them have fun.  

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

They'll get some late kicks, but for the size of the check Fox/NBC/CBS are writing it's not to broadcast a ton of 10 PM ET games between USC/UCLA and Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois that draw 1.5-2.5M viewers.  It's to have primetime games with 10M+ viewers between USC and Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State.  If I had to guess USC will get a couple late night kickoffs per year, the week 1 or 2 cupcake when a late kickoff would actually be nice because it's very hot in LA in early September and some random conference game against a middling opponent that not many people would watch in the middle of the day.  UCLA will get an extra late night game unless they start winning and drawing better audiences.  Another reason the Big 10 isn't going to fill up the home slate for USC and UCLA with late night kicks is because it would piss off the other Big 10 fanbases.  I don't think they'd be too thrilled about staying up until 2 AM for their team's game to finish, especially since the Big 10 has a history of early games so they're used to getting done around 3 or 4 PM most Saturdays.

In any case, I'm sure the Big 10 will handle late night kickoffs better than the Pac 12.  USC's game at Oregon State in a couple weeks, which will be the last time USC ever plays at a location notorious for big upsets of highly ranked USC teams and could very well be a game between the conference's two best teams, is relegated to the fucking Pac 12 Network at 9:30 PM ET.  A game that might be a CCG preview is on a network nobody has at a time most people are asleep.  If Pac 12 "leadership" wants answers for why their shitty conference is dying and why I'm counting down the days until USC is done with this bush league nonsense they can start here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Meh...college kids who haven't had much to cheer about in the football program for a very long time had some fun after an adrenaline-filled 2OT victory over a ranked squad.  Not really the big deal you're making it out to be.

It's college...let them have fun.  

This.

I never get the "celebration police" who think they need to tell college kids how to celebrate a win.

Who gives a flying fuck what the point spread was? That doesn't matter in the heat of the moment. If it's a super competitive back-and-forth game that you win on an inexplicable series of plays then go nuts and rush that fucking field, kids.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

My only issue is the odd rivalry week games, which would be LSU/OU and Arkansas/Mizzou. LSU/Arkansas and Oklahoma/Mizzou seems more appropriate and if they renew Bedlam/Border War it works out perfectly anyone versus Mizzou.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This.

I never get the "celebration police" who think they need to tell college kids how to celebrate a win.

Who gives a flying fuck what the point spread was? That doesn't matter in the heat of the moment. If it's a super competitive back-and-forth game that you win on an inexplicable series of plays then go nuts and rush that fucking field, kids.

I remember the '77 season here.  Until Austin put a stop to it after 4 or 5 weeks, there were spontaneous parades on the drag for hours after every win.  That was the team where Earl won the Heisman and went unbeaten in the regular season after going 5-5-1 in DRK's last year.  Nothing much was expected of Texas in '77.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, Dnaguy said:

there is a tremendous amount of fucked up bullshit in this setup

klan gets vandy and klan aggy as perms?  nay.

thieves and aggy go to redstick every other year?  nay.

bama plays klan aggy but not klan every year?  they won't stand for that.

ditto lsu and florida.

the perm rivals concept sux.