Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 9/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, Dnaguy said:

Back to the 3 permanent rivals discussion/ structure:

This article covers the whole idea:

How to build your own 16-team SEC schedule | GatorCountry.com

I don't know if this is how anyone else on here had it organized, but I think they one they put together is solid:

Team Opponent 1 Opponent 2 Opponent 3
Alabama Auburn Tennessee Miss St.
Arkansas Missouri Texas Texas A&M
Auburn Alabama Georgia Vanderbilt
Florida Georgia Tennessee South Carolina
Georgia Auburn Florida South Carolina
Kentucky South Carolina Miss St. Missouri
LSU Miss Texas A&M Oklahoma
Miss Miss St. LSU Vanderbilt
Miss St. Miss Alabama Kentucky
Missouri Arkansas Oklahoma Kentucky
Oklahoma Texas Missouri LSU
South Carolina Georgia Kentucky Florida
Tennessee Alabama Vanderbilt Florida
Texas Oklahoma Texas A&M Arkansas
Texas A&M Texas Arkansas LSU
Vanderbilt Tennessee Miss Auburn

I like it. 

aggy gets fucked in their goat ass annually.

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

there is a tremendous amount of fucked up bullshit in this setup

klan gets vandy and klan aggy as perms?  nay.

thieves and aggy go to redstick every other year?  nay.

bama plays klan aggy but not klan every year?  they won't stand for that.

ditto lsu and florida.

the perm rivals concept sux.

This goes back to what is the goal. If you’re trying to balance out the schedule competitively or preserve rivalries? If competitive, are you using current strength or historical?

Obviously the Egg Bowl stays for Ole Miss. LSU is their next biggest rival. Vandy is #3 as they are rivals historically, geographically, and culturally. They’ve played all of those teams over 94 times. Their next most played game is with Alabama and they’ve only played 68 times.

Oklahoma gets Texas and Mizzou.  Their 3rd rival will be random.  If the SEC can pair them with another big name school like LSU (if this guy’s model) or Florida (my model) the that help guarantee another big time games each year.  It’s the same thing they pulled when they created the Florida/LSU rivalry, those were just the best teams leftover after pairing up UGA/Aub and Bama/TN as rivals so they paired them up.

After Texas and Arkansas, LSU is aggy’s most played SEC team. LSU has only played their “rival” Florida 8 more times than they’ve played aggy.

Alabama and Mississippi State are very close to each other geographically, and have played each other the most 105 times.  Alabama has only played Ole Miss 66 times.  I would bet lots of money that Alabama’s rivals will be Auburn, Tennessee, and Mississippi State.

I think there is a very good chance LSU will end up with aggy and Ole Miss.  I have Arkansas as their #3 as it would be their rivalry week game but I could see them slotting someone else there.

Florida will end up with Georgia and South Carolina I have no doubt.  Their number #3 (just like LSU) is where this could get tricky. LSU or Tennessee would work but I have them pairing with Oklahoma as my random best of what’s left pairing.

Lastly, I’m not sure why you think permanent rivals suck.  In this scenario you’d play every team in a two year period (just not home/home). These permanent rivals are just who you play every year. Alabama gives up playing LSU/aggy/Ole Miss/Arkansas every year but instead gets Texas/Florida/LSU/Ole Miss in year 1 and Georgia/Oklahoma/Arkansas/aggy in year 2.  This balances the league and solves for the West being too strong and the East being too weak. Instead of Georgia beating up on Mizzou/Vandy/Tennessee/Kentucky every year now they’ll only get/have to play 2 of those 4 each year.  I’m a big fan of this model (if you can’t tell) it’s way better than pods or divisions.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, tx ind said:

I don't love Tech but anyone that craps on their fans' celebrations is not remembering this.

image.png.4db2333388d69e5a155c2c249ed3e8f6.png

image.thumb.png.292a7be657a771063cb5d15ec6393c29.png

Beating a ranked rival as despised as a&m is, at home, as the underdog is a good reason to rush the field. Shoving the FG posts up their ass & the ensuing brawl, while frowned upon by people in authority, I personally find hilarious.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hook me said:

Beating a ranked rival as despised as a&m is, at home, as the underdog is a good reason to rush the field. Shoving the FG posts up their ass & the ensuing brawl, while frowned upon by people in authority, I personally find hilarious.

I was at that game.  East side stands, so the Agroid Nation was down below me and to the right.  What people who weren't there don't realize is that it took a significant amount of time before the goalpost ever ended up there, and it wasn't where the Gap Mob even wanted to go to begin with.

So it took some time for the goalpost to come down first of all.  Then, the Gap Mob tried to take it out the SW ramp (the ramp the Tech football team uses), and the AD personnel and police blocked them from doing so, so the mob decides it would be best to take it out the NE corner, the corner the Agroid Nation was at.

The Agroids were done with their post-loss cheers, most of the stadium had cleared out because this was like 30 minutes after the game was over (maybe more), but when the Aggys saw the goalpost heading their way, they decided to stay and egg it on (in the videos you can see them waving their arms and saying "bring it").  So the Gap Mob did.

I just find the whole victimhood portrayal by the Agroids absurd and hilarious because they had to stand there and wait for quite a long time anticipating the delivery of the goalposts.  They were as much to blame for the confrontation as anyone.  But they love to play the victim.

• Hook 'Em 3

I still like this proposal the most:

Texas: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas
Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri, Kentucky
Texas A&M: Texas, LSU, Arkansas
Missouri: Oklahoma, South Carolina, Arkansas
LSU: Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss. State
Arkansas: Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri
Miss. State: Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU
Ole Miss: LSU, Miss. State, Vanderbilt
Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, Miss. State
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss
Kentucky: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
South Carolina: Georgia, Missouri, Florida
Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn

Auburn gets a tough trio, but this format also maintains the most secondary rivalries.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I was at that game.  East side stands, so the Agroid Nation was down below me and to the right.  What people who weren't there don't realize is that it took a significant amount of time before the goalpost ever ended up there, and it wasn't where the Gap Mob even wanted to go to begin with.

So it took some time for the goalpost to come down first of all.  Then, the Gap Mob tried to take it out the SW ramp (the ramp the Tech football team uses), and the AD personnel and police blocked them from doing so, so the mob decides it would be best to take it out the NE corner, the corner the Agroid Nation was at.

The Agroids were done with their post-loss cheers, most of the stadium had cleared out because this was like 30 minutes after the game was over (maybe more), but when the Aggys saw the goalpost heading their way, they decided to stay and egg it on (in the videos you can see them waving their arms and saying "bring it").  So the Gap Mob did.

I just find the whole victimhood portrayal by the Agroids absurd and hilarious because they had to stand there and wait for quite a long time anticipating the delivery of the goalposts.  They were as much to blame for the confrontation as anyone.  But they love to play the victim.

All this plus don't forget the Perry's Chief of Staff Mike Mckinney (who's son was the center for A&M) who likened the incident to "defending the Alamo" as he was swinging his binoculars at the "Gap kid" and his band of misfits.  McKinney gets all bloodied because some Tech hooligan came up and "knocked the fool out of me" (his words, not mine.)  That's when all shit broke loose.  

Later video confirmed that McKinney was struck in the head by an A&M fan (not a Tech hooligan as he claimed.)  You can read more about it here:

https://www.dailytoreador.com/archives/mckinney-accuses-tech-administrators-of-cover-up-aggie-threw-punch-at-him/article_06be8824-648b-5464-b8ed-13c8a60e8921.html

According to the story in The Battalion, McKinney was attempting to keep rowdy Tech fans from getting into the A&M section.

"I pushed two of them down and grabbed my binoculars and said, 'The next one that comes up gets it,'McKinney told The Battalion. "Then somebody who was already in the stands, I guess, came up and knocked the fool out of me. I saw him hit me - a kid in a red shirt."

Eyewitness accounts differ from McKinney's version of the story.

Andrea Luhm, a freshman international business major from Houston, said she and her boyfriend, Nick Biehl, a senior electrical engineering major from Aledo, saw an altercation between Mike McKinney and an unidentified Texas A&M student.

"There were all these brawls going on," she said. "The main one was between that guy and McKinney."

Luhm said the student, a black male whom she recognized from a photo published in The University Daily on Monday, was either pushed or jumped down to the field and was trying to get back into the visitor's stands when the altercation started. She said McKinney was pushing him down, prying his fingers off of the metal guardrails separating the stands from the field.

"The black guy finally got up there and punched him on his right eyebrow," Luhm said. "My boyfriend got between them and then took off his white undershirt so he could put pressure on the cut to stop the bleeding."

Luhm said it appeared McKinney did not realize the student was from A&M.

"He wouldn't let him in, not recognizing he's an Aggie student," she said. "He thought he was a Tech student."

Good times indeed LOL.  Fucking aggie bastards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I still like this proposal the most:

Texas: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas
Oklahoma: Texas, Missouri, Kentucky
Texas A&M: Texas, LSU, Arkansas
Missouri: Oklahoma, South Carolina, Arkansas
LSU: Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Miss. State
Arkansas: Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri
Miss. State: Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU
Ole Miss: LSU, Miss. State, Vanderbilt
Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, Miss. State
Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, Florida
Tennessee: Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Alabama
Vanderbilt: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss
Kentucky: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Oklahoma
Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
South Carolina: Georgia, Missouri, Florida
Florida: Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn

Auburn gets a tough trio, but this format also maintains the most secondary rivalries.

That’s a really good one. If that was the answer I think it would mostly be well received. Yeah, Auburn gets a tough line up and Oklahoma lucks out with Kentucky (I could rationalize that if they do a long term deal with Okie State).

But I still go back to rivalry weekend. In this model, Arkansas can play Mizzou, and OU can play Bedlam but who does LSU play? Mizzou restarts the Border War with Kansas and LSU/Arkansas annual makes perfect sense.

It’s possible to have neither of these 4 schools play a rivalry that weekend and just rotate LSU/Mizzou & OU/Arkansas year 1, LSU/Arkansas & OU/Mizzou year 2 it just makes scheduling more challenging.  Everyone having a “rival” on a designated weekend makes the most since too me (LSU/Arkansas, and OU/Mizzou or their old Big 12 rivals).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably the last road game in Lubbock for the foreseeable future on Saturday.

image.gif.57db805f4bd9680389d7b77ffa7d5f4a.gif

We’re full until 2027. Since we’re dropping Georgia and Florida, I assume Tech (since they are bitching the loudest) will get a home and home 2028/2029. I hope that’s the only scheduling agreement we have to make to get out of this conference, but part of me thinks we’ll get stuck with the same for TCU and Baylor (and OU will have to do something similar with the old Big 8 schools). Anything they can get to spice up their future TV deal with FOX/ESPN they are going to try, before the new school get in here. I expect the exit fees and TV deal to be settled and divided out among the remaining 8 before the others are able to get a slice of the pie.

So Gundy might win one more game each year now. Smart move.  Straight up pussy shit from both schools. OU wants a cheap buy a win now. Both schools can keep playing. They just prefer the cash they'll get from some shitty opponent ensuring a home game each year over trading off hosting a rivalry game. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bedlam is over (for now)

Not that anyone here cares, but there's a lot of smoke that El Assico won't get renewed past '25 due to some unannounced change in Big 10 scheduling (thought is 10 conference games and no divisions, so Iowa will want 2 cupcakes in non-con).

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Bedlam is over (for now)

I have several friends who went to OU, and if their feelings about Bedlam are share amongst the general OU fan base, then few tears will be shed about this going away. OU/OSU is almost on the same level of Texas/Texas Tech. OSU treats it as their super bowl, OU treats it as any other game that they'd prefer to win.

Edited by Aslan24

54 minutes ago, Aslan24 said:

I have several friends who went to OU, and if their feelings about Bedlam are share amongst the general OU fan base, then few tears will be shed about this going away. OU/OSU is almost on the same level of Texas/Texas Tech. OSU treats it as their super bowl, OU treats it as any other game that they'd prefer to win.

Hint...they're lying. I bet they also say "I cheer for OSU when they're not playing OU" in the most condescending way possible. It's not just another game for them, especially since we stopped being a pushover. Yeah they still win regularly but we have given them all they can handle most years. They know it's a big deal statewide. It's nothing like UT-Tech. They're, at best, third in line of your "rivals" after OU and aggy and most outsiders just see it as two instate teams playing. Bedlam is the highest profile game for OU after the RRR. It has drawn great ratings for a reason. I suspect it'll be like UT-aggy. They'll find a way to make it work after a decade or so.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:
We’re full until 2027. Since we’re dropping Georgia and Florida, I assume Tech (since they are bitching the loudest) will get a home and home 2028/2029. I hope that’s the only scheduling agreement we have to make to get out of this conference, but part of me thinks we’ll get stuck with the same for TCU and Baylor (and OU will have to do something similar with the old Big 8 schools). Anything they can get to spice up their future TV deal with FOX/ESPN they are going to try, before the new school get in here. I expect the exit fees and TV deal to be settled and divided out among the remaining 8 before the others are able to get a slice of the pie.

So why haven't our future games with Georgia and Florida been cancelled yet?

On 9/16/2022 at 1:02 PM, Uncle Nate said:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JGHorn said:

So why haven't our future games with Georgia and Florida been cancelled yet?

My assumption is that all 3 programs are working on finding replacement games (or at least close to finding) before announcing the cancellations.

Oklahoma, Georgia, and Tennessee all announced their replacement games all within a week of announcing the cancellation.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Why does Tech want to play us anyway? Without actually playing us they can do Horns Down all they want, and that is all they really seem to care about.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/texas-tech-leaders-press-ut-110108033.html

Cody Campbell, a member of the Tech University System Board of Regents, said UT playing football in Lubbock makes "easily an eight-figure per year impact on the local community." He said that's what studies have shown regarding the value of the game to Lubbock-area hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

"Plus, it impacts our ability to sell season tickets," Campbell said. "It drives TV viewership. The impact is massive. It raises the profile of the university. It gets more butts in the seats.

They’ve been pretty honest about why they want to play…

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

So Gundy might win one more game each year now. Smart move.  Straight up pussy shit from both schools. OU wants a cheap buy a win now. Both schools can keep playing. They just prefer the cash they'll get from some shitty opponent ensuring a home game each year over trading off hosting a rivalry game. 

OU wanted to continue playing the series.  OSU can/t/won't clear its OOC decks to make it work.  I can't say I blame OSU on their end.  They've got a few pretty good OOC matchups coming up and they're not the ones who changed leagues. The 9 game conference slate makes scheduling pretty difficult.    

2 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

OU wanted to continue playing the series.  OSU can/t/won't clear its OOC decks to make it work.  I can't say I blame OSU on their end.  They've got a few pretty good OOC matchups coming up and they're not the ones who changed leagues. The 9 game conference slate makes scheduling pretty difficult.    

That shit is like something my ex-wife would say. 

"I'm unilaterally making decisions that affect both of our lives. Tough shit if you don't like it. Also, I need you to chage your future plans to accomodate my schedule."  Then a surprised Pikachu face when it doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

OSU is just being pissy about it. Which is fine, except I have no idea how they are going to sell season tickets now that they aren't the only way to get an OU ticket.

They could easily cancel their home and home series with Tulsa through 2031 and replace them with OU. No, they shouldn't replace great home and home series with Alabama, Arkansas, or Oregon for OU. But let's be real here, it helps oSu tremendously to no longer have OU on their schedule given how many times OU stopped oSu from greater postseason glory. 

Just now, YouLoveMyPenises said:

OSU is just being pissy about it. Which is fine, except I have no idea how they are going to sell season tickets now that they aren't the only way to get an OU ticket.

Or, you know, he's lying. JFC, after all the back and forth you went through with aggy about that game, you think you'd know by know everything being said is bs. There's certainly truth to the logistical issues, but what a dumbass concept to believe it's all on us and we just don't want to play the game. Give me a fucking break. Also, they're the ones fucking leaving, that is why the game is dying. Either way, like I said, I guarantee it will start up again within a decade.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Or, you know, he's lying. JFC, after all the back and forth you went through with aggy about that game, you think you'd know by know everything being said is bs. There's certainly truth to the logistical issues, but what a dumbass concept to believe it's all on us and we just don't want to play the game. Give me a fucking break. Also, they're the ones fucking leaving, that is why the game is dying. Either way, like I said, I guarantee it will start up again within a decade.

You think the year plus of OU proclaiming publicly that they wanted to keep playing Bedlam OOC was a lie? 

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Like I said, I don't really care about the blame. There's rumblings of us and Nebraska getting an annual game during SEC Rivalry Week (whatever that is), a game that last week drew 3.5 million viewers (2nd most watched game) as a blowout. I think the Network Overlords at ESPN and Fox would like to both have a piece of that.

Am I sad that it's ending? Sure. The game was typically a lot of fun and the week of and the Monday after are a blast. And I imagine that whatever the CFB landscape looks like after the ACC GOR is over, we'll be playing annually again as well.

2 minutes ago, YouLoveMyPenises said:

Logistics are unquestionably an issue. Castiglione saying "yeah we want to play them but they have no interest" is a lie. He knows football is monumentally harder to work out logistically than other sports. It's literally the same shit aggy said about UT blaming them for not playing after they left. It's bullshit. Like I said, it will likely work itself out in a decade or so to restart the series but not soon.

2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

So if your wife was sucking some guy's dick, while also telling you how much she wants your marriage to work...do you believe her?

It's weird that this needs to be said... but Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are not married.  It's a complex business relationship.  Is continuing to play the game a good business decision for OSU?  Probably.  If not right now, for existing schedule commitment reasons, then certainly down the road.  Is OSU going to want OU as an advocate in the event the SEC ever expands again?  Probably.  

Would OSU have left OU behind in the Big 12 if the SEC had invited them instead?  100%.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, camel at sea said:

Would OSU have left OU behind in the Big 12 if the SEC had invited them instead?  100%.

Yes. And I wouldn't be sitting here bitching that they wouldn't play us. ou chose texas over us, and that's 100% fine. But don't come back acting like it's our fault. You want to guarantee that bedlam takes place? Don't leave the league. It's that simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Yes. And I wouldn't be sitting here bitching that they wouldn't play us. ou chose texas over us, and that's 100% fine. But don't come back acting like it's our fault. You want to guarantee that bedlam takes place? Don't leave the league. It's that simple. 

Nobody is doing that. We left, asked if y'all wanted to keep playing, y'all said you were fine with the Murray State Racers instead, we said OK and that's pretty much that.

I don't see where the animosity is coming from.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Logistics are unquestionably an issue. Castiglione saying "yeah we want to play them but they have no interest" is a lie. He knows football is monumentally harder to work out logistically than other sports. It's literally the same shit aggy said about UT blaming them for not playing after they left. It's bullshit. Like I said, it will likely work itself out in a decade or so to restart the series but not soon.

If Weiberg wanted to continue the series, he would have said "we hoe to get it scheduled again down the road when logistics allow" instead of going with a never say never statement.    

53 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

So OSU is the one not willing to make it work, but they point to OU leaving as the reason. That sounds very aggy. 

40 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You don't think Tulsa would jump on it in a minute if you pushed their series back 4 years and extended it 4 years?  Its not hard if they want to do it.  Its like doing the CFP expansion in 2024.  If they want to do it, its not that hard.

Would love to see all levers pulled to bail the B12 after this season.

Lay the groundwork to clear up some of our OOC schedule (incl. noted SEC matchups) for potential home-and-homes with some of the R8. Leverage the value of those open spots (both for the individual R8 teams that would get a spot and the B12's future network value) to whip up necessary votes for a negotiated early exit. Seems like we don't have many other bargaining chips as things stand. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

6 minutes ago, bullet said:

You don't think Tulsa would jump on it in a minute if you pushed their series back 4 years and extended it 4 years?  Its not hard if they want to do it.  Its like doing the CFP expansion in 2024.  If they want to do it, its not that hard.

The only opponent on OSU's OOC slate for the 2030 and 2031 seasons is Tulsa.  If Oklahoma State wanted to play again in football, it would already be announced and on the schedule.

I don't necessarily blame them for not wanting to play.  My guess, though, is that they're going to change their mind at some point.