Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I don't think so. This is just an incredibly complicated season to schedule.

But we'll see.

The continued delay just reeks of some kind of major, unforeseen change.  The only thing that really qualifies on that front is someone who's expected to be part of it isn't.

I'm really just spit balling here, but is it possible that Texas is buying it's way out and OU can't come up with the funds and there will be a 13 team Zombie in 2023?

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No, I'm saying I don't think you'll be here in 2023.

That wouldn't be this difficult.

Sorry, that's what I meant by "both situations". Maybe I should have said "All 3 situations" to include the incredibly unlikely, though technically still possible, 2025 season, but I think it's been fairly obvious we were gone in 2024 with fans hoping beyond hope it would be 2023.

Again, the lack of ANYTHING spilling from any of the 9.95ers would be pretty impressive if this is true. This feels like a much simpler reason, the incompetence of Big 12 leadership didn't die with the previous host.

4 minutes ago, hook me said:

Sorry, that's what I meant by "both situations". Maybe I should have said "All 3 situations" to include the incredibly unlikely, though technically still possible, 2025 season, but I think it's been fairly obvious we were gone in 2024 with fans hoping beyond hope it would be 2023.

Again, the lack of ANYTHING spilling from any of the 9.95ers would be pretty impressive if this is true. This feels like a much simpler reason, the incompetence of Big 12 leadership didn't die with the previous host.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952cbd9ydjofxb5sza1alv

4 minutes ago, hook me said:

They've been incompetent, but they've never had any problem putting a schedule out.  This just reeks of something bigger afoot.

56 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't think so. This is just an incredibly complicated season to schedule.

But we'll see.

Not really complicated at all.  

Divisions. Play your own +3 from the other. It’s a temp deal, so fuck it. 

And nothing says they need a sched out for 24 yet either. They could release just 23, like everyone else. Maybe their intent has since changed.

If it isn’t internal bickering and incompetence, it’s something significantly bigger. Could be many things that would be a bigger issue. Who knows. 

58 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The continued delay just reeks of some kind of major, unforeseen change.  The only thing that really qualifies on that front is someone who's expected to be part of it isn't.

I'm really just spit balling here, but is it possible that Texas is buying it's way out and OU can't come up with the funds and there will be a 13 team Zombie in 2023?

Despite what the fans on this board are saying I don't think the UT Admin is interested in wasting a bunch of money to "buying out" one year. We will go exactly when Fox let's us go.

But I have no special knowledge. If it makes economic sense to buy ourselves out we will, I just don't see how it would.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They've been incompetent, but they've never had any problem putting a schedule out.  This just reeks of big foot.

I think its pretty simple

H8 is unified in wanting to both screw OU/UT as much as possible. However they are infighting on how to do that without giving the best games to the new four (N4),  without pissing off the TV execs paying them and waving around some carrots to make our OUTage easier, and most importantly without screwing themselves out of home games against us they want themselves. 

This is probably making things far more complex than they are capable of normally scheduling 

Also reeks of big foot 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Not really complicated at all.  

Divisions. Play your own +3 from the other. It’s a temp deal, so fuck it. 

And nothing says they need a sched out for 24 yet either. They could release just 23, like everyone else. Maybe their intent has since changed.

If it isn’t internal bickering and incompetence, it’s something significantly bigger. Could be many things that would be a bigger issue. Who knows. 

Have we even decided who is in what division yet?

Yormark has shown his competence with the media deal, and has shown thus far to be a good person for the job. What does it matter if the schedule comes out this week, next week, or even the week after? Are schools needing advanced notice to book their venues? The championship game just concluded. We are the only conference with drastic changes this season. What's the problem with it coming out at the end of the month? Again, the only place I saw January 17 as a date was a tweet from a UCF source. The conference didn't announce a date then miss it, the only places I'm seeing "incomptence" etc. is here and comment sections to the Daily Oklahoman from ou fans.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, statsman said:

You guys are all wrong.  

It’s this simple. TAMU joined the SEC, and started dominating Texas recruiting. The other SEC schools came in and recruited Texas, too. Besides paying liberally, they had a simple message- “play in the SEC to get to the NFL”. The message was supported by the shear numerical advantage SEC players have over Big 12 players. 

The Big XII is a coach’s conference. The SEC is a players’ conference. 

Sure, the Ags did nothing with their advantage. The fact remains- Texas and OU both need to win in Texas recruiting to teach their potential. Recruiting the best in the Big XII isn’t enough. They need to get the best from Texas. 

NIL came, and Texas saw that, for the first time, it could make pay part of its recruiting pitch. It could compete on an equal (maybe better) footing with SEC schools,…if it could also pitch its conference. 

That’s all there is to it. It’s not about what the R8 did or didn’t do. (Now, whether you ever get another game from UT or OU does depend on that). 

That aggy and SEC started dominating Texas HS recruiting is a false narrative.  Now aggy did a lot better than they did in the post Slocum years.  And Charlie Strong absolutely stunk at recruiting and Hermann had some struggles.  But what was happening was the CFP contenders were coming in and taking the top players-Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St.  It wasn't Tennessee and Florida and Ole Miss.  LSU didn't do any better than they had historically.  And aggy didn't do much better than they did in the 80s and early 90s.

What has happened since UT and OU announced for the SEC is that UT, OU and aggy combined are dominating Texas recruiting in a way they haven't done in my memory.  Probably since the 70s.

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yormark has shown his competence with the media deal, and has shown thus far to be a good person for the job. What does it matter if the schedule comes out this week, next week, or even the week after? Are schools needing advanced notice to book their venues? The championship game just concluded. We are the only conference with drastic changes this season. What's the problem with it coming out at the end of the month? Again, the only place I saw January 17 as a date was a tweet from a UCF source. The conference didn't announce a date then miss it, the only places I'm seeing "incomptence" etc. is here and comment sections to the Daily Oklahoman from ou fans.

Again, "drastic changes" that have been known since September of 2021. Let's not act like the +4 was found out yesterday, they've had 16 months to plan for this. Maybe Yormark cleaned house & threw away any work that was done on the schedule & has ONLY had 6 months to figure it out. You'd like to think the Big 12 would capitalize on any momentum they had going from the TV deal & TCU's season by releasing the schedule in the weeks leading up to the playoffs, or the championship, or after the championship. Before the NFL playoffs took over the news cycle & college football enthusiasm had died down for the year. Lots of airtime to fill during bowl games, ability to talk about the new schools new opponents & getting a head start on season ticket sells. Or, you could announce a plan to unveil it like the Pac 12 & ACC have done. But, nothing. Not a peep. No one knows anything about it, when it will drop, just silence. It was supposed to be announced at the beginning of December, then mid-December, now.... end of the month maybe? How does that not throw up red flags?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I literally never know when the schedule will come out. It means almost nothing to the average fan (the timing that is). I didn't even know the other conferences had released. The PAC just came out today. Again, what difference does it make if its next week for us? The average fan doesn't read anything into it, what is with the urgency? If it were two months past the other conferences, okay maybe its an issue. But the PAC literally just released today. I just don't understand the consternation beyond "fuck the big 12."

• Hook 'Em 2

My 2023 schedule expectation- UH, TT, TCU and Baylor insist that, due to long term “rivalries”, they get one more home date/payday from UT. Then, there is OU in Dallas, which Fox will not allow them to screw with. That leaves four home dates in Austin. I suspect all of the new schools are up for that, for exposure, unless other members insist more. (They might, out of a desire for recruiting exposure).

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

All this talk about UT and OU playing away games against the newcomers next year, but I just can't imagine a scenario where any of the petty leftover fucks give up their biggest home gates of the year to a group of schools who don't even get a full share of the conference revenue. I'm sure Baylor and TCU are cool with giving up a home game against Texas (potentially the last one, ever) to BYU or Cincinnati. Yeah, that just isn't happening. Who can forget all the bellyaching from Tech about the economic hardship foisted upon the Lubbock economy after Texas goes to the SEC? 

Right.  There are 10 existing members who would think that is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Despite what the fans on this board are saying I don't think the UT Admin is interested in wasting a bunch of money to "buying out" one year. We will go exactly when Fox let's us go.

But I have no special knowledge. If it makes economic sense to buy ourselves out we will, I just don't see how it would.

*lets

• Rage+1 1

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/01/18/pac-12-media-rights-kliavkoff-sees-no-need-to-rush-but-the-strategy-carries-risk-this-is-realignment-after-all/

On a Wednesday afternoon in early December, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff took the stage at an intercollegiate athletics forum in Las Vegas and addressed the timing of a media rights deal for his conference.

“No need for a rush,” Kliavkoff said.

“We’re in a good position,” he explained.

There was no “sense of urgency,” he added.

Six weeks later — and 202 days since USC and UCLA announced their plans to enter the Big Ten in 2024 — the Pac-12 still does not have a media deal.

It needs one, soon. How soon? Fixing a date is a fool’s errand, but a targeted timeframe isn’t unreasonable. So here’s our window: The conference needs a deal by March.

If the process bleeds into the spring, anxiety on the 10 remaining campuses will soar. Presidents and athletic directors will seek escape hatches. Options that once seemed untenable will grow more attractive.

“The Pac-12 cannot get overconfident,” said a Hotline source in the sports media space. “If we know anything about college sports, it’s that you can’t assume the status quo will last.”

Kliavkoff’s lack of urgency seems entirely logical on several fronts.

— It doesn’t appear the Big 12 can guarantee the Four Corners schools (Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah) enough annual revenue to make a leap worthwhile.

The Big 12’s media rights deal with ESPN and Fox, secured at the end of October, will pay each campus $31.7 million annually, which tracks with the Pac-12’s expected valuation.

— It doesn’t appear the Big Ten presidents possess the motivation or desire to add Oregon, Washington and the Bay Area schools to join USC and UCLA in a western division.

— It doesn’t appear the Big Ten’s media partners have the cash on hand — we’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars annually — to keep the 16 members whole while adding four more schools from the Pac-12.

Fox, NBC and CBS already have what they coveted from the West Coast. They have USC football and a fence around the L.A. market.

— The departure of Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren, who was named president of the Chicago Bears last week, removes a chief proponent of additional expansion.

Combine a leaderless Big Ten with the lack of transformative revenue in the Big 12 and the expanding College Football Playoff — each Power Five champion is effectively guaranteed a berth — and it appears stability has taken root.

The remaining Pac-12 schools either have nowhere to go, no reason to leave, or both.

And Kliavkoff is correct in his strategic assessment of the landscape, for the conference has backed into an advantageous position.

The Big 12’s move to secure an early renewal of its partnership with ESPN and Fox left the Pac-12 as the lone member of the Power Five with football inventory available for the next eight years.

If ESPN, Fox or CBS want more, there is only one place to go.

If Turner, Amazon or Apple want some, there is only one place to turn.

Given the soaring value of live sports in a crowded media marketplace, the Pac-12’s rights theoretically will be more valuable in six or nine months than they are today.

No wonder Kliavkoff feels “no sense of urgency.”

But you know when the realignment knife strikes? When it’s least expected.

When you think the Big Ten’s presidents are content with 16 and its media partners are out of cash.

When you think the Big 12 isn’t enticing.

When you think the CFP expansion has calmed the waters.

When you think — ahem — that USC has no plans to join another conference.

In realignment, presumptions are the kindling for crisis; confidence is the agent of destruction.

Kliavkoff needs to get a deal done sooner than later.

“If you slow-play it,” the source said, “you become vulnerable to the unknowns.”

What if the economy plunges into a full-blown recession and Amazon exits the negotiations?

What if Fox changes its strategy and decides “Big Ten West” has a nice ring to it?

What if the Arizona and Mountain schools grow anxious and opt for security in the Big 12?

None of those options seem logical now, but there is nothing logical about realignment until you’re faced with an existential crisis.

That, folks, is the lesson of realignment: Assume nothing.

The Hotline understood Kliavkoff’s preference to wait for a final decision on UCLA’s fate from the University of California Board of Regents, even though the process went longer than expected.

And in his few public remarks on the negotiations, Kliavkoff has been careful to avoid setting a date. For all we know, he plans to present the university presidents with a contract by the end of the month.

Also, we should acknowledge the possibility of favorable unknowns developing — of time providing a chance for new players to enter the negotiations and push the price of Pac-12 content higher.

Maybe tactics change at the corporate level at Fox or CBS or Turner.

Maybe the economy gains strength in the fourth fiscal quarter.

Slow-playing the process could prove advantageous, but is that the most likely outcome? Not from where we sit.

The upside reward that could result from extending negotiations into the spring — and allowing marketplace dynamics to generate a few extra million dollars per year for each Pac-12 campus — is not worth the downside risk.

Because the downside risk is extinction.

There is no logical reason to rush this process, and that’s the very reason to hurry.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, statsman said:

My 2023 schedule expectation- UH, TT, TCU and Baylor insist that, due to long term “rivalries”, they get one more home date/payday from UT. Then, there is OU in Dallas, which Fox will not allow them to screw with. That leaves four home dates in Austin. I suspect all of the new schools are up for that, for exposure, unless other members insist more. (They might, out of a desire for recruiting exposure).

Now that I think more about it- Texas gets four home games next year, and the RRS is one of them. I predict WVU, KU and KSU as our home schedule and @TT, @BU, @UH, @TCU and @OSU as our road schedule. We have Rice and Wyoming at home and @Bama in non-conference. 

10 minutes ago, statsman said:

Now that I think more about it- Texas gets four home games next year, and the RRS is one of them. I predict WVU, KU and KSU as our home schedule and @TT, @BU, @UH, @TCU and @OSU as our road schedule. We have Rice and Wyoming at home and @Bama in non-conference. 

I can’t imagine any scenario where we play on the road back to back years against tech and osu. 

Why? It could be part of our “making the Big XII whole”, along with giving up a home game. 

(The guiding assumption of my schedule prediction is that the Big 12 will do whatever it can to meet the needs and desires of the IR8)

Edited by statsman

I can’t imagine any scenario where we play on the road back to back years against tech and osu. 

I could maybe see OSU because they did have to come to Austin twice when the Big 12 reorganized between 2010-11.

Still, agree that it’s doubtful we repeat a road game from this year. My uninformed guess: We’ll play at TCU, Baylor, UH, and one other newcomer - my bet is BYU. We’ll host 2/3 of KSU, Tech, or OSU, and one of UCF or Cincinnati. OU at Cotton Bowl.

I just have a hard time seeing West Virginia and Iowa State (much less Baylor or TCU) willingly give up home games to Texas to Houston / BYU / UCF / Cincy. That's the last ladle full of gravy that those gravy trainers are ever going to get from us. I think the Big 12 is way more likely to saddle us with home games against the newcomers. What is the IR8's motivation for giving those home games up? That will be (along with OU), by far, the hottest ticket of the season and they can jack up the price on the individual games as well as the season ticket package. Why would they give up that cash to one of the newcomers?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It will be a formula that treats everyone the same, but as with any schedule that is not a round robin, some will be happier with the schedule than others. I know you guys are super upset about all of this, but there is just no way they are going to pick and choose ways to "screw over" UT/OU, and you guys still get a say in the process same as everyone else (I think you just sit out on votes concerning conference realignment). If anything, I can see a delay being to ensure that they are okay with the schedule and won't go blasting Yormark publicly, and keeping at least good enough relations that UT and OU will consider scheduling non-con games (remember that administrators are not the same as internet fans and are grownups (except aggy)). The fans will be upset no matter what comes out, but the administrators will have been consulted.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

It will be a formula that treats everyone the same, but as with any schedule that is not a round robin, some will be happier with the schedule than others. I know you guys are super upset about all of this, but there is just no way they are going to pick and choose ways to "screw over" UT/OU, and you guys still get a say in the process same as everyone else (I think you just sit out on votes concerning conference realignment). If anything, I can see a delay being to ensure that they are okay with the schedule and won't go blasting Yormark publicly, and keeping at least good enough relations that UT and OU will consider scheduling non-con games (remember that administrators are not the same as internet fans and are grownups (except aggy)). The fans will be upset no matter what comes out, but the administrators will have been consulted.

Jennifer Garner Fun GIF by NETFLIX

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I just have a hard time seeing West Virginia and Iowa State (much less Baylor or TCU) willingly give up home games to Texas to Houston / BYU / UCF / Cincy. That's the last ladle full of gravy that those gravy trainers are ever going to get from us. I think the Big 12 is way more likely to saddle us with home games against the newcomers. What is the IR8's motivation for giving those home games up? That will be (along with OU), by far, the hottest ticket of the season and they can jack up the price on the individual games as well as the season ticket package. Why would they give up that cash to one of the newcomers?

UT isn’t going to affect our home attendance.  I think Texas shows up once in Top 10 crowds at Jack Trice, and that was in ‘21 when we sold out all but one game.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

UT isn’t going to affect our home attendance.  I think Texas shows up once in Top 10 crowds at Jack Trice, and that was in ‘21 when we sold out all but one game.

You mean to tell me that you don't double the single game ticket price for Texas like every other member of the conference does? 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, camel at sea said:

It literally happened.  https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article65340322.html

There's plenty more of it if I wanted to go to the trouble of digging through old Sam Mellinger and Dennis Dodd articles.  KC media trashed Boren b/c KC media was being fed that stuff from KU/KSU/ISU admins.  National media then picked it up and dragged OU.  Absolutely none of that was coming from Texas media sources.  The old Big 12 North schools have fans that like to envision themselves as perpetual innocent victims of fate.  It keeps them from looking honestly at reality and how bad their own administrators were.

It's also true that the Big 12 North schools shot down expansion.  Just look at the votes.  OU, WVU, and Ken Starr pushed for expansion.  Those were the three running the expansion committee.  Texas was open to it under certain conditions and said so publicly.  UT didn't shit on the president of the other blueblood football program in the conference in the media.  Who does that leave as the "absolutely not" votes on expansion?  It only took 3 "absolutely not" votes to kill the whole thing.  When Texas said, "we're interested in adding Houston if we can get a campus in Houston," what happened?  Plains States media outlets started a PR campaign against the "over Texasification of the Big 12." 

The narrative of "our poor little universities did what we were told" sounds plausible in theory but it never quite matched up with the voting history of the Big 12.  Everyone will be better off after the split.  

Think its pretty clear the no votes came from ISU, KU, KSU and OSU.  At least 3 of those 4.  The narrative was too many Texas teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/early-exits-for-texas-oklahoma-could-help-big-12-repay-members-that-agreed-to-diluted-revenue-upon-expansion/

"...Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU and Texas Tech agreed to share a portion of their media rights distributions from the Big 12's existing deals with Fox and ESPN to make possible the league's recent expansion with BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF joining the fold in the 2023-24 athletic season. The vote (believed to be held last year) was 8-0 in favor of the move with Texas and Oklahoma abstaining, multiple sources tell CBS Sports.

Each of the eight legacy Big 12 schools agreed to forego $16 million total ($8 million annually in 2023-24 and 2024-25), approximately 19% of their $42.6 million annual distributions, sources said. Each of the four new Big 12 members are set to receive $18 million to $19 million annually, approximately 40% of the original annual distribution....

If Texas and Oklahoma leave after the 2023-24 season, they would be on the hook for early termination fees with each surrendering at least their final year of media rights distribution. CBS Sports previously reported those early exit fees could total as much as $168 million.

However, such a penalty would likely be negotiated down to about 60% to 65% of the original total, industry sources said....

Speculation has raged that Texas and Oklahoma have no desire to play the four new Big 12 members, though they have already committed to remain in the league for the upcoming season. The conference is in the process of finalizing a schedule for all 14 programs...."

Maybe we only play each other and the R8.  R8 plays 3 of the 4 newbies and 4 of the other 7 R8.  Newbies play each other and 6 of the R8.  That actually makes the most sense for us and the R8.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:36 PM, statsman said:

I suspect whether or not the game ends up on the Longhorn Network also plays a part in this.  If the game is on that dead carcass of a network, recruiting exposure and/or national branding exposure doesn't exist anymore.  May as well be streaming on Crackle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/big-12-expansion-plans-up-in-the-air-without-kevin-warren-s-pac-12-poaching/ar-AA16x0w8

"...The Pac-12 is expected to probably match or maybe slightly exceed the Big 12 when it announces a new deal. Yes, the Pac-12 will likely have to sacrifice visibility and cut a deal with Amazon to hit the financial number. While streaming may be the wave of the future and while the NFL may have found success with Amazon, it may be asking too much of viewers to switch over to their Prime accounts for Utah-Arizona.

Yet the money may be good enough to keep the status quo alive in the Pac-12.

The person who could have changed that equation was Warren. ESPN reported that Warren continued to push for further expansion even though it had alienated some of the highest profile universities in the conference as well as the TV stakeholders. Warren kept pushing even though ESPN reported that his statements about expansion “were viewed internally as clumsy and tone-deaf.”

It’s a good bet that the new Big Ten commissioner won’t take the same pedal-to-the-metal approach to expansion that Warren did. The Big Ten power brokers will see to that.

That leaves the Big 12 trying to find another way to persuade reluctant Pac-12 schools that it represents a better alternative."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Yes, the Pac-12 will likely have to sacrifice visibility and cut a deal with Amazon to hit the financial number. … it may be asking too much of viewers to switch over to their Prime accounts for Utah-Arizona.

That leaves the Big 12 trying to find another way to persuade reluctant Pac-12 schools that it represents a better alternative."

Guy could switch over to the world of $9.95 if this conference realignment fan fiction gig doesn’t work out for him…

3 hours ago, bullet said:

While streaming may be the wave of the future and while the NFL may have found success with Amazon, it may be asking too much of viewers to switch over to their Prime accounts for Utah-Arizona.

Not too much has been said about the conflict when two almost-equally attractive games play in the same time slot. I'm guessing that a substantial number of viewers are in the habit of watching the blue-blood game and recording the lesser game for later viewing when they can skip the time-outs, halftime bullshit, and especially the interminable reviews of calls on the field. This recording and viewing process is more complicated for streamed games than for traditional cable/satellite broadcasts--especially for the olds. (I know, because IR1.)

On 1/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, 'stache said:

Damn, Dan—it’s a schedule for human beings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/big-12-expansion-plans-up-in-the-air-without-kevin-warren-s-pac-12-poaching/ar-AA16x0w8

"...The Pac-12 is expected to probably match or maybe slightly exceed the Big 12 when it announces a new deal. Yes, the Pac-12 will likely have to sacrifice visibility and cut a deal with Amazon to hit the financial number. While streaming may be the wave of the future and while the NFL may have found success with Amazon, it may be asking too much of viewers to switch over to their Prime accounts for Utah-Arizona.

The person who could have changed that equation was Warren. ESPN reported that Warren continued to push for further expansion even though it had alienated some of the highest profile universities in the conference as well as the TV stakeholders. Warren kept pushing even though ESPN reported that his statements about expansion “were viewed internally as clumsy and tone-deaf.”

It’s a good bet that the new Big Ten commissioner won’t take the same pedal-to-the-metal approach to expansion that Warren did. The Big Ten power brokers will see to that.

"probably match or maybe slightly exceed the Big 12"
"may be good enough to keep the status quo alive"

The article is not exactly brimming with confidence.

16 hours ago, bullet said:

At this point I don't know that the Big 12 should push westward. I think I'd wait for the ACC TV negotiations in 2026 & see if the B1G & SEC blow up that conference (seems likely at this point but who knows with this stuff) & see if you can't get some of those schools that at least show a propensity for caring about sports. Helps the new Eastern schools with travel as well. If the B1G & SEC take some combination of FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, Duke, & Virginia there are still plenty of good addition opportunities. Pitt, Va Tech, NCST, UL, Syracuse if you want a NY based team. I'd take most of those over the AZ schools on top of it being logistically friendly to the Eastern schools. If for some reason one of those primary choices don't get picked then even better.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:36 PM, statsman said:

TCU and Baylor, sure. They came to Austin this season. Tech can come to Austin this year. Maybe Iowa State loses out to Houston or someone else for a Texas road game. Maybe KSU, KU, or OSU lose out to someone on coming to Austin. 

On 1/20/2023 at 1:03 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

TCU and Baylor, sure. They came to Austin this season. Tech can come to Austin this year. Maybe Iowa State loses out to Houston or someone else for a Texas road game. Maybe KSU, KU, or OSU lose out to someone on coming to Austin. 

So in the many years we have played these guys we have been keeping track of how many times we have played where?  They came to Austin this year because we went to their house the year before.   There is no rule that says where you play the last game.   Fuck both of those dipshits.