Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Cross-posting since this fills in potential answers to financials...

Seems like $16mill given up by each of the "Left Behind Eight" to add  Cincy/UH/BYU/UCF is a big part of this negotiation.  Plus Texas/blOU agreeing to a few games with FOX to compensate them.

---------------------------------------------

$16mil x 8 = $128mil.  Guess Texas and blOU will likely pay $64mil a piece.

Edit:  More recent video says 60-65% of this number is now likely plus Texas & blOU agreeing to additional games on FOX to compensate for their early departure from B12.

so if we stay for the final 2 years we can put the whammy on the little 8? i like that. 

4 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Did you quote the wrong person?

No. I was just talking randomness... The point was, if we didn't support Foxx or away games, their bitchassedness would backfire... But the idea is more fantasy than possibility because we can't really pull it off, like a fake boycott.

19 minutes ago, Slacks said:

No. I was just talking randomness... The point was, if we didn't support Foxx or away games, their bitchassedness would backfire... But the idea is more fantasy than possibility because we can't really pull it off, like a fake boycott.

My point was FOX is missing out on ~20 games between ‘23 & ‘24 including a pair of RRSO game and Michigan at Texas in ‘24. Giving them more inventory/options with conference game from BYU/UH/Cincy/UCF aren’t going to move the needle. Out of those, the only notable OOC home game in 23/24 is Cincy hosting Pitt in 2024. Clearly that’s not an even trade for FOX.

I’m not sure what if anything that has to do with a boycott. At this point Texas/OU want to leave, the Big 12 wants them gone, ESPN wants them in 2024 (after they get the 1st tier rights from CBS but could likely live with getting them a year early), so FOX is the only sticking point and they have a legitimate issue here. How do you compensate them for 20 games of Texas/OU over 2 seasons including 3 major blueblood vs blueblood opportunities?

Putting aside the logistics of getting it scheduled, but even if both agreed to a 6 year OOC series (encompassing the full timeline of the Big 12’s new deal) think 6 year agreement for Texas/Tech & Oklahoma/OSU (or just home and home with UT v TCU/Tech/Baylor & OU v OSU/KSU/ISU), that would still only give FOX the opportunity for 6 UT/OU games (which they would also have to fight with ESPN for those rights, since the B12 is a joint ESPN/FOX agreement) and that doesn’t even offset a single year of their deal with UT/OU in the B12, much less 2.

If I was FOX I’m not going to play ball unless I get a long term series or multiple OOC from both UT/OU, and I make ESPN trade me some game picks and/or straight inventory from their agreement to offset my loss.

In summary, 2023 seems like a near impossibility, but 2024 could happen with some wheeling and dealing between UT/OU/ESPN and FOX.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

If that is the best they have, then I expect the 4 corner schools to be in the B12 after next season. Hell, Oregon and Washington may come too. I believe the B12 has an expansion clause in their contract that guarantees new schools the same revenue as the current schools, which would be higher than the PAC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:58 PM, RoyalBevo21 said:

So Texas conceded to UH? What was the argument even about? Why was cougar high even involved? 

Houston is corrupt as fuck. 

Texas is balls deep in the medical center anyway, MD Anderson is Texas system. Billions in new buildings coming up, my company works on a bunch of these new projects.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-ut-m-d-anderson-cancer-center-to-expand-operations/

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Houston is corrupt as fuck. 

Texas is balls deep in the medical center anyway, MD Anderson is Texas system. Billions in new buildings coming up, my company works on a bunch of these new projects.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-ut-m-d-anderson-cancer-center-to-expand-operations/

So essential they're just delaying the inevitable so they can say "see, we're just as good as Texas" 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

So essential they're just delaying the inevitable so they can say "see, we're just as good as Texas" 

They aren't even one of the big boys capable of fucking with Texas. It's other corrupt mother fuckers. Same as any huge city I guess. Houston is a shit hole though if I'm Texas I'd just build in the Woodlands or League City, which again they already are with UTMB victory lakes and the huge med center there. More expansion underway there too. 

They don't seem to want to build normal education campuses though just med centers. 

They usually expand to new cities or areas by buying existing colleges... I donno if anything around Houston is worth going that route.

• Like 1

Looks like today is the day, which also means looks like early exit negotiations didn't work.

Also, TCU's staff dropped the ball early and put it on their website and schedule snoops scraped it:

tcu schedule.png

They're playing every team in Texas, which doesn't seem like a random event.

Edited by Hurtlocker

24 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Looks like today is the day, which also means looks like early exit negotiations didn't work.

Also, TCU's staff dropped the ball early and put it on their website and schedule snoops scraped it:

tcu schedule.png

I think we all gave up on 2023 right

59 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

tcu schedule.png

Of course they get Thursday game the week before playing Texas at home.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:12 PM, camel at sea said:

It literally happened.  https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article65340322.html

There's plenty more of it if I wanted to go to the trouble of digging through old Sam Mellinger and Dennis Dodd articles.  KC media trashed Boren b/c KC media was being fed that stuff from KU/KSU/ISU admins.  National media then picked it up and dragged OU.  Absolutely none of that was coming from Texas media sources.  The old Big 12 North schools have fans that like to envision themselves as perpetual innocent victims of fate.  It keeps them from looking honestly at reality and how bad their own administrators were.

It's also true that the Big 12 North schools shot down expansion.  Just look at the votes.  OU, WVU, and Ken Starr pushed for expansion.  Those were the three running the expansion committee.  Texas was open to it under certain conditions and said so publicly.  UT didn't shit on the president of the other blueblood football program in the conference in the media.  Who does that leave as the "absolutely not" votes on expansion?  It only took 3 "absolutely not" votes to kill the whole thing.  When Texas said, "we're interested in adding Houston if we can get a campus in Houston," what happened?  Plains States media outlets started a PR campaign against the "over Texasification of the Big 12." 

The narrative of "our poor little universities did what we were told" sounds plausible in theory but it never quite matched up with the voting history of the Big 12.  Everyone will be better off after the split.  

Expansion didn't make sense until Texas and OU were leaving. Why would you give up a true round robin for any two of the four teams that got added? If Texas and OU would have stayed, we would be getting ready to add Oregon and Washington.

I doubt BYU makes two trips to the state of Texas then.  You wanna let them get their feet wet with prolly 1 game in Texas, 1 in Oklahoma, 1 in Kansas/Iowa, and then let them start a new rivalry with UCF or Cincy.  

Maybe we head to BYU and all take a piss on Manny Diaz before we go...you know...for luck? 

Also, UCF heads to OKL in their first and only contest.  And talk of us going to UH perking back up, as per usual.  

Edited by YGIFS

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/2023-big-12-football-schedule-by-team-key-games-dates-as-league-welcomes-four-new-members-next-season/ar-AA16XTkI

Okie St. only gets one Texas team, at Houston.  Guess nobody wanted their paid refs.

All the Texas schools play each other.  All the Big 8 except OU/KSU play.  All the AAC schools and WVU play.

Yes, we go to Houston.  OU plays at Cincinnati and BYU.

• Rage+1 1

Kinda want one more game against WVU so we don't leave the series tied 6-6.

No OSU will be odd, but maybe for the best considering how OSU has had success against us over the past 13 years.

Then for the love of God, please BYU.

Edited by n64ra

19 hours ago, bullet said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/2023-big-12-football-schedule-by-team-key-games-dates-as-league-welcomes-four-new-members-next-season/ar-AA16XTkI

Okie St. only gets one Texas team, at Houston.  Guess nobody wanted their paid refs.

All the Texas schools play each other.  All the Big 8 except OU/KSU play.  All the AAC schools and WVU play.

Yes, we go to Houston.  OU plays at Cincinnati and BYU.

Really would have enjoyed seeing OU go to Manhattan one more time 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So if we’re never going to be on Fox again, why are we playing nice?

We will be when we play at Michigan and Ohio State. I'm definitely petty enough to say we should avoid future OOC games with conferences that have Fox as the first option. So a snoot full of ACC OOC games we would be our best option. 

Edited by mdmost

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Help me to understand Fox’s leverage here. They have a signed contract. We break our contract. Fox sues us. We settle. What am I missing? 

That absolute fuck load of money Texas would owe and the legal limbo Texas’s media rights would go into which would be a problem for the SEC and ESPN.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wonder if the Big12 meeting today will cover adding the four corners/PAC raid.  Rumor is that Oregon and Washington said no to signing a new deal (with GOR) for the Amazon deal. Both Arizona schools also rumored to have said no.

Maybe adding 4-6 schools from the Pac, could free UT/ou in '24.. also killing the PAC?

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Wonder if the Big12 meeting today will cover adding the four corners/PAC raid.  Rumor is that Oregon and Washington said no to signing a new deal (with GOR) for the Amazon deal. Both Arizona schools also rumored to have said no.

Maybe adding 4-6 schools from the Pac, could free UT/ou in '24.. also killing the PAC?

make-it-so-jean-luc-picard.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

37 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

That would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.  The leadership of those schools seem like they'd rather die athletically and cling to the Pac academic mantle as they drown.

39 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath.  The leadership of those schools seem like they'd rather die athletically and cling to the Pac academic mantle as they drown.

I am fairly confident that Arizona would be the first to jump. They are first and foremost a basketball school, and a P12 streaming deal would kill their basketball exposure and be a real problem for them. With Arizona you would likely see Colorado or Arizona State. Once that happens, it is only a matter of time. Oregon and Washington may have their hand forced because they are going to be left with Stanford and Cal to play unless they can find a landing spot. They are likely pounding on the new B1G commissioners door as we speak. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

So ASU, AU, Col and Utah and leave UO, OSU, UW, WSU, Stanford and Cal to figure their own shit out? Curious how that would work

46 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

...They are likely pounding on the new B1G commissioner's door as we speak. 

Right now, they've got nobody to talk to except B1G university presidents.

I didn't realize Warren was only in the B1G chair for 3 years. What did he accomplish other than "canceling" the 2020 football season and money-whipping USC and UCLA? CBS speculation includes TV executives from FOX and ESPN.

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Right now, they've got nobody to talk to except B1G university presidents.

I didn't realize Warren was only in the B1G chair for 3 years. What did he accomplish other than "canceling" the 2020 football season and money-whipping USC and UCLA? CBS speculation includes TV executives from FOX and ESPN.

Yeah, I am sure they are working overtime with the university presidents. Washington and Oregon in the B12 actually isn't the craziest thing if they did pull the 4 corner schools. You are talking about good travel partners for a western division without having to fly to Florida and West Virginia too often for non revenue sports. Their conference football schedule wouldn't have them flying east of Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah, I am sure they are working overtime with the university presidents. Washington and Oregon in the B12 actually isn't the craziest thing if they did pull the 4 corner schools. You are talking about good travel partners for a western division without having to fly to Florida and West Virginia too often for non revenue sports. Their conference football schedule wouldn't have them flying east of Dallas. 

Yeah but based on OSU’s ranking in US News, if their football players spend a few hours in the same field as our players, the whole State of Washington will get the dumbz and cant be havin none of that i tells you wut.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Two 9-team Big 18 divisions, west & east, isn't the dumbest idea I've seen now that USC and UCLA are in the B1G. 

On 2/1/2023 at 12:04 PM, SimkinsMan said:

I've heard it's a matter of when it's announced at this point. 

Hope you are right.  I recall the discussion on this board in late July 2021 when it all went down that the move to the SEC would happen at least by 2023 and even perhaps by 2022.  Either the Big 12 would dissolve, or we'd pay the $$$.  With hindsight, some of those posts are hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

PAC looking pretty ripe for poaching with those alleged latest deal numbers

yeah.. tbh they and the big 12 should have gotten a merger discussion going... instead they got into a pissing contest.

I think something could still be worked out with an Amazon deal in tow, but from what people keep saying.. Cal and Stanford are the real problems

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

yeah.. tbh they and the big 12 should have gotten a merger discussion going... instead they got into a pissing contest.

I think something could still be worked out with an Amazon deal in tow, but from what people keep saying.. Cal and Stanford are the real problems

Cal and Stanford can fuck off. These are football moves(fuck you stanford).

Big 12 should 100% be targeting Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

If you can pull any combination of the two outside of Oregon and Washington then I think that opens the door for Oregon and Washington to bolt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Honestly a sneaky lynchpin in this would be for the Big 12 to go after Washington State. Almost everyone thinks the PAC10 schools are valuable to other conferences for one reason or another, and each one has been rumored as an expansion candidate with the exception of Oregon St and Washington St. Oregon State is just a small state with nothing special about it other than its mascot and baseball, but Washington State punches above its weight class in TV ratings and is in a growing area (especially if you include Idaho) in an already good sized state (even if most of the population is on the other side).

If the PAC crumbled tomorrow one could see 4 joining the B1G, 4 joining the B12, and WSU would end up stranded in the PAC10 with OSU 8 MWC members. But WSU’s vulnerability may be the Big 12’s ticket to Western expansion.

Take Washington State and you now put some urgency behind the realignment musical chairs and a school like Arizona also decides to jump. Then as the other four corner schools come in, Washington has an easy out to leave assuming the Big Ten is truly off the table, and once Washington joins Oregon would follow.

If the Big 12’s end game is to get very big then I think it’s the best plan short of raiding the eventual ACC leftovers which could be over a decade away.