Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have to give a year notice, right? So way I see it is we have until about July 1/middle of July at latest to officially let them know

i think the laws say 18 months...which would actually be this month where they would have to formally announce the intentions of leaving the conference in July of 2025

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Texas/OU/SEC need to tell FOX that they either play ball, and will be compensated accordingly over the next few years, or the SEC will only scheduled out of conference opponents with the understanding that those games not be aired on FOX. 

I hear you, but why does the SEC need to do that? For us and ou?  This way of thinking reminds me a bit of the aggy SEC love fest

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I hear you, but why does the SEC need to do that? For us and ou?  This way of thinking reminds me a bit of the aggy SEC love fest

SEC needs to do this so that they can renegotiate their new contract with ESPN (which starts in 2024) and get their divisions set.  Otherwise it is a mess for SEC and ESPN.  It makes everything cleaner for everyone involved..except FOX.

Edited by Horn Dog

On 2/3/2023 at 9:04 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the payout for Texas and Oklahoma gets cut. It’s the 8 leftovers that agreed to subsidize the newcomers by taking a haircut. We’re still getting our normal cut plus lhn third tier cash, right?

Is this true?  Cause if so…😂

13 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Is this true?  Cause if so…😂

i was under the belief that we would forfeit the 18 months of revenue (TV deals outside LHN since that will always belong to UT).  But that was part of the exit fees negotiating.. originally with the 80 mil price tag but from reports would be negotiated somewhere between 30-60 million.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

How much revenue does Fox make from Texas vs. Kansas State as opposed to Tech vs. Kansas State? 

How much is a TCU vs. Iowa State game worth to them if Texas is in the Big 12 or if Texas isn’t?

If Fox is losing 7 Texas or OU games — I think that was the number, could be wrong — how much does their revenue actually decrease relative to 7 other Big 12 games?

A TCU vs. ISU midday kickoff is worth a whole bunch less if Texas is playing Arkansas at the same time on ESPN2

I suspect that if ESPN has the B12 game, there won’t be the same conflict 

Edited by statsman

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have to give a year notice, right? So way I see it is we have until about July 1/middle of July at latest to officially let them know

I thought Texas already gave notice. Was it open ended or did they specifically say for 2025. I can't remember. 

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pretty sure notice was given for 2025. It’ll work out for 2024 eventually. No real rush until after the season except to piss everyone off.

They officially requested to join the SEC in July of 2021.. however, I don't think they officially informed the Big12 it is leaving.  They just said they weren't going to renew it's media deal with the Big12...

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

How much revenue does Fox make from Texas vs. Kansas State as opposed to Tech vs. Kansas State? 

How much is a TCU vs. Iowa State game worth to them if Texas is in the Big 12 or if Texas isn’t?

If Fox is losing 7 Texas or OU games — I think that was the number, could be wrong — how much does their revenue actually decrease relative to 7 other Big 12 games?

There is no way to formulate or prove that value. 

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Pretty sure notice was given for 2025. It’ll work out for 2024 eventually. No real rush until after the season except to piss everyone off.

Do you even pay attention you stupid fucking Oklahoma state trash piece of shit? All parties want it to be soon as possible except fox. You dumb ass bitch

4 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

SEC needs to do this so that they can renegotiate their new contract with ESPN (which starts in 2024) and get their divisions set.  Otherwise it is a mess for SEC and ESPN.  It makes everything cleaner for everyone involved..except FOX.

Fox has no issues with USC/UCLA though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There is no way to formulate or prove that value. 

Do you even pay attention you stupid fucking Oklahoma state trash piece of shit? All parties want it to be soon as possible except fox. You dumb ass bitch

What the ever living fuck are you talking about? I agree, and fox will eventually reach a deal for 2024.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

We agree

ESPN should declare a jihad on aggy, but they probably won't, because money. 

These idiots f***ed up ESPN owning exclusive rights to the expanded CFP. Brent Z better hold on in print media. He won't find a job with any ESPN entity for the rest of his lifetime. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, Vertigo said:

I am fairly confident that Arizona would be the first to jump. They are first and foremost a basketball school, and a P12 streaming deal would kill their basketball exposure and be a real problem for them. With Arizona you would likely see Colorado or Arizona State. Once that happens, it is only a matter of time. Oregon and Washington may have their hand forced because they are going to be left with Stanford and Cal to play unless they can find a landing spot. They are likely pounding on the new B1G commissioners door as we speak. 

Yeah, Arizona jumping seems inevitable and it would lead to a whole bunch of other falling dominoes.  Oregon ending up in the Big 12 would be very entertaining.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

What the ever living fuck are you talking about? I agree, and fox will eventually reach a deal for 2024.

Imma be honest I’m in Fredericksburg and been drinking beer since I woke up and now wine tours since I woke up this morning. 

57 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Thanks Kurt you dumb ass bitch. For nothing

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Thiefery said:

i was under the belief that we would forfeit the 18 months of revenue (TV deals outside LHN since that will always belong to UT).  But that was part of the exit fees negotiating.. originally with the 80 mil price tag but from reports would be negotiated somewhere between 30-60 million.

I guess I just don’t understand the exit fee structure at all.  Can someone answer what UT’s total contractual payout owed is under these 2 scenarios?

1. We leave for SEC today.

2 We leave for SEC in 2025.

Does it drop from 80 mil to zero or is there still a payout of some type in 2025?  In other words in 18 months of media revenue forfeited regardless or only if we leave before 2025?

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I guess I just don’t understand the exit fee structure at all.  Can someone answer what UT’s total contractual payout owed is under these 2 scenarios?

Does it drop from 80 mil to zero or is there still a payout of some type in 2025?  In other words in 18 months of media revenue forfeited regardless or only if we leave before 2025?

My understanding is that Texas and OU forfeit two years of media rights income either way, but if they leave before the grant of rights is over, they have to try to buy those rights back from the Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

We leave in 2025, we forfeit 2 years of conference payouts and leave with out an exit penalty.

We leave in 2024, we forfeit 2023 conference payouts, we owe the Big 12 our conference payouts for 2024z

• Hook 'Em 2

Well if we forfeit 2 years of media rights regard less the move would be to leave now, join the SEC and ask for media payouts of $1 for next 2 years (followed by double payouts in 2025 and 2026).  Then let B12 sue the SEC for media right funds paid for games between 2 SEC teams (us versus our new conference opponents) and if B12 wins give them their $2. 

Edited by Horn Dog

6 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Well if we forfeit 2 years of media rights regard less the move would be to leave now, join the SEC and ask for media payouts of $1 for next 2 years (followed by double payouts in 2025 and 2026).  Then let B12 sue the SEC for media right funds paid for games between 2 SEC teams (us versus our new conference opponents) and if B12 wins give them their $2. 

Then I want MY TWO DOLLARS!  CASH!  PLUS TIP! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

My understanding is that it is a grant of rights and not a promise to grant rights in the future, meaning those rights no longer belong to us. Thus, it would be us or the SEC having to sue the Big 12 to get those rights back. Otherwise, the Big 12’s broadcast partners would be broadcasting our home games, even if we’re playing an SEC schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

GIF by Giphy QA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know that's not how any of this works, I am just fuckin around.  And I fully admit to knowing nothing about contract law, but what I do know is B12/FOX doesn’t want to spend the next 5 years in court arguing “what does ‘is’ mean” while UT has sovereign immunity claims in their back pocket.  They will settle.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Read the article

Per Action Network's Brett McMurphy, the deal has not yet been completed due to ESPN and Fox being "not satisfied" with the offer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

That is kind of the opposite of everybody else.  All the other reports are that the sides reached an impasse on Friday.  Maybe Texas/OU/Big 12 agreed, but ESPN and Fox did not.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Weird article

The author...

Brett is an avid sports traveler and former Division-I football recruiter for Bowling Green and Texas State. He’s covered college sports for Fansided, Stadium Journey, and several independent outlets over the past five years. A graduate of BGSU, Brett currently works on-site at Google as a project lead for content curation products.

• Haha 2

On 2/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Sec was an antiquated version of what it is now. A&M and Missouri brought modern offenses to a league that was playing like it was the 90s. Fire in a bottle. Look at both programs now that SEC adjusted to modern times. I knew that would be your reply as soon as I hit enter. Now change out your tampon Geoff

I'm starting to think more and more that aggy was a means to an end for the SEC (both in terms of modernizing and also in getting us on board finally).  I'm starting to also believe that some of the negotiations going on right now involve aggy and one other cellar dweller getting the boot from the SEC when we join with ou.  Consider their conference history:

SWC Days: Different world
Big 12 Days: Got in because of big brother and our desire to avoid state-level pushback.  See also: Baylor, tech, etc.
SEC v1: Brought Texas-based eyeballs to the SEC for the first time, huge win for the SEC
SEC v2(upcoming): SEC no longer needs their Texas-based eyeballs, we bring that in a much more dramatic fashion.  aggy provides no further value to the conference.

If you think about it it is quite enraging that aggy is going to get an equal share of conference revenue going forward.  Texas brings way more shine both inside and outside of Texas.  aggy has DISMAL TV numbers (typically the worst in the SEC) and they've embarrassed the conference every year.  Their academics and their on-field product both suck as well.

Perhaps the SEC is working to just write them a check they can use to pay off their perennially empty stadium or to buy their crappy coach out along with a note that says "Bye Felicia!"

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

I'm starting to think more and more that aggy was a means to an end for the SEC (both in terms of modernizing and also in getting us on board finally).  I'm starting to also believe that some of the negotiations going on right now involve aggy and one other cellar dweller getting the boot from the SEC when we join with ou.  Consider their conference history:

SWC Days: Different world
Big 12 Days: Got in because of big brother and our desire to avoid state-level pushback.  See also: Baylor, tech, etc.
SEC v1: Brought Texas-based eyeballs to the SEC for the first time, huge win for the SEC
SEC v2(upcoming): SEC no longer needs their Texas-based eyeballs, we bring that in a much more dramatic fashion.  aggy provides no further value to the conference.

If you think about it it is quite enraging that aggy is going to get an equal share of conference revenue going forward.  Texas brings way more shine both inside and outside of Texas.  aggy has DISMAL TV numbers (typically the worst in the SEC) and they've embarrassed the conference every year.  Their academics and their on-field product both suck as well.

Perhaps the SEC is working to just write them a check they can use to pay off their perennially empty stadium or to buy their crappy coach out along with a note that says "Bye Felicia!"

Seems incredibly unlikely to the point where I wonder if I just missed the satire. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Seems incredibly unlikely to the point where I wonder if I just missed the satire. 

It's not satire.  It's just frustrating.  This isn't TAPPS 2A where everybody has to be given a right to play and compete.  This is a huge, valuable, high stakes business and if someone isn't contributing at the highest levels they should be part of the payout.  

Just now, ermahgerdhorn said:

It's not satire.  It's just frustrating.  This isn't TAPPS 2A where everybody has to be given a right to play and compete.  This is a huge, valuable, high stakes business and if someone isn't contributing at the highest levels they should be part of the payout.  

By most metrics, aggy is a Top 20 revenue-generating program and easily the #2 in Texas.

At the time, aggy was a great add for the SEC. You can certainly argue it was done out of desperation and a need for attention, but it was the right move for them. No, they're not going to be cut or given less media revenue.

25 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

This could be said about half the SEC and about 3/4 of the BIG. I think it's heading that way in 10 years, either Prestige Worldwide of bluebloods, or unequal revenue between bluebloods and the SEC/BIG programs who are only there due to historical alignments. 

• Hook 'Em 1