Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

21 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Real stuff has happened and more real stuff is about to happen.  All of this crap reads like the realignment fan fiction from 3 or 4 years ago.

That's because the guy posting it has been spamming this thread with fan fiction and maps since this site was fired up.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Yeah, I've read Sankey and SEC leadership want contiguous states for whatever reason. UNC and UVA are in their crosshairs. SEC SEC SEC

Is the word dis-contiguous?  Whatever you call it, no conference with an island has ever lasted.  Even with the University of Hawaii. 

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This statement is why the pac12 will fail....it's from that Athletic article a few days ago:

image.png

I'd assume most of the west coast AD's(California schools most likely) are still citing academics and cultural fits.

Who is a "cultural fit" for the PAC now besides SDSU? Academic fit with aggie-like, Wazzu and OSU? Too funny

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do we have a "gentlemen's agreement" with Sankey on this? That sonofabitch better not undercut us and go off and add New Mexico to the conference.

You think Oklahoma can supply the rest of the SEC with enough meth on its own?  

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Are WSU and ORST really bringing down the value that much? UO and UW are in the BIG conversation. Heard Stan and Cal mentioned too. The four corners appear to be valued similar to the XII contract. That's everyone, so why is the PAC as is struggling to get a contract? I can see Cal also bringing it down because I haven't heard them mentioned in anything important sportswise in at least a decade. Stanford seems like it has value, they have had decent football and basketball and are a leader in overall sports titles. 

Oregon State and Washington State have always been midmajor caliber schools.  They were just lucky enough to get in on the ground floor with bigger schools over a century ago when the PCC formed but their gravy train is about to reach its final stop.  The only thing either of them offer is sporadic football success.  They have small fanbases, small stadiums, no recruiting territory, mediocre academics, no success in other sports outside of a nice little run for Beaver baseball and they're both the little brother schools in their states.  Corvallis isn't too remote but Pullman is the most isolated, middle of nowhere P5 school and it's not even close.  If those two schools had always been in the WAC or the MWC they wouldn't get consideration for Pac 12 membership now even with the conference teetering on the brink of collapse.  Boise State still isn't getting any Pac 12 consideration and they're a more attractive school than both Oregon State and Washington State.

Geography and academics will always give Cal and Stanford a certain appeal, but I can't see them ever seriously competing in the NIL/portal era.  Combine that with the apathy of their administrations and fanbases and you're looking at perpetual 0-4 win dumpster programs that nobody cares about in CFB's brave new world.  Four Corner schools are roughly equivalent to remaining Big 12 teams (though all but Utah are in a precarious place with football right now) while Oregon and Washington are the two most valuable left behind programs in either the Pac 12 or the Big 12, but their open pursuit of a B1G invitation can't be good for Pac 12 media negotiations.  Even if they all stay together this conference is 40% dead weight from a football perspective.  You can probably bump that up to 50% because at least one of the Arizona schools or Colorado will continue to be terrible.  Personally I think Arizona is turning a corner while ASU and Colorado are still TBD.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Yeah, I've read Sankey and SEC leadership want contiguous states for whatever reason. UNC and UVA are in their crosshairs. SEC SEC SEC

NC (with Duke or another partner) was a target prior to aggy joining the secsecsec. 

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Real stuff has happened and more real stuff is about to happen.  All of this crap reads like the realignment fan fiction from 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, it's fan fiction based on what I would like to happen the probability is minimal, but "possible" anything can change in 12 years time...

Just same as the #PXC I used to post on & on about, only thing is OU/ UT went 1 way, USC/ UCLA another, but movement was possible...

An athletic director years ago joked there will be 2 superconferences 1 called ESPN the other called FOX, can 24 or 32 happen..? maybe...

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Oregon State is basically K State without any football success and in a worse time zone. The state of Oregon is small, has very little recruiting or market value and the ducks basically dominate that market.

Washington State is a little better, but their stadium is the smallest at 32k by 8k seats.

In this instance, the Big 12 fans are right.

Woah  had no idea their stadium was that small 

30 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Woah  had no idea their stadium was that small 

It's not just small, it's also rarely full.  Washington State home attendance in 2022:

Idaho: 25,233
Colorado State: 23,611
Oregon: 33,058
Cal:  23,021
Utah: 21,179
Arizona State: 24,039
Washington: 33,152

I'll see people compare them with ISU or K-State but both the Big 12 schools often more than double WSU's gameday attendance.  Those two schools also triple WSU's gameday basketball attendance numbers.

5 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

It's not just small, it's also rarely full.  Washington State home attendance in 2022:

I'll see people compare them with ISU or K-State but both the Big 12 schools often more than double WSU's gameday attendance.  Those two schools also triple WSU's gameday basketball attendance numbers.

Can you run other schools like Cal, Stanford, Oregon state

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can you run other schools like Cal, Stanford, Oregon state

Cal home attendance 2022:

UC Davis: 34,984
UNLV: 38,180
Arizona: 37,216
Washington: 34,601
Oregon: 37,077
Stanford: 51,892
UCLA: 36,221

Stanford:

Colgate: 26,826
USC: 43,813
Oregon St: 32,481
ASU:  25,061
Wash St: 26,515
BYU: 25,094

Oregon State (2021 since their 2022 numbers are down due to reduced stadium capacity for renovations)

Hawaii: 27,701
Idaho: 26,797
Washington: 33,733
Utah: 30,203
Stanford: 35,129
ASU: 25,579

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

BUT IF THEY DO, we already have an agreement that the first game will be in Austin, AND we won't play them every year.

Green chili aggy is going to feel the wrath when we can open up those New Mexico recruiting grounds. 

Here's attendance figures I found

NEW12 ISU 57,344. TCU 46,562. UK 43,076. KST 51,165. BU 45,463. TECH 56,870. OKST 54,735. WVU 47,658. BYU 59,674. Cincy 38,117. UCF 41,542. CougHigh 25,073

PAC10 UO 54,950. UW 62,933. ORST 31,498. WASU 26,185. UU 52,057. CAL 38,596. STAN 29,965. UA 44,209. AST 43,081. CU 42,847.

POTENTIAL TARGETS SDSU 29,892. SMU 24,971. FRESNO 39,067. COLSt 26,891. BOISE 35,121. UTSA 26,835. TULANE 20,361. NEVADA 14,905. MEMPHIS 26,196. UNLV 22,112. 

2 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Just to illustrate how poor a choice Rutgers & Maryland are, they played each other this year and the ratings were terrible. 97,000. That's one of the worst rated games of the year.

Future Big12 bottom feeders Cincy & UCF played each other and had 10Xs the audience. 1.06mil

They were choices made with the exact economy of the moment at mind and nothing else.  They got the Big 10 Network on in NYC, DC, and Baltimore, and that's all they gave any fucks about at that moment in time.

16 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Wazzu's fans are too busy traveling around the country to Gameday sites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Of course an ESPN exec would say this...

ESPN is the exclusive holder of all ACC rights. 

Curiously, the ACC currently distributes the least amount of money to its schools in comparison to the rest of the P5. The ACC schools are also locked into this contract under GOR until the year 2036! This move would be crazy.

Edited by Jabberwocky

18 hours ago, camel at sea said:

They more than triple their basketball numbers....at least actual attendance. This was right before tip against Oregon state a few weeks ago....20230216_195908.thumb.jpg.48badc6db8799d7d14785644e5b19eca.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, LTbear said:

To answer the Tweeter's question: no, not really. CU had about 8 such meetings last summer. 

Trust me, that's not just odd, it's downright bizarre.

To put that in perspective, most Boards of Regents/Trustees will meet 3-4 times a year.  There may be one or two special meetings sprinkled in if there's a legal issue, major personnel issue, or real estate purchase that cannot wait until the next regularly scheduled meeting.

In other words, university boards only meet off-scheduled when it's a time-sensitive matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Of course an ESPN exec would say this...

ESPN is the exclusive holder of all ACC rights. 

Curiously, the ACC currently distributes the least amount of money to its schools in comparison to the rest of the P5. The ACC schools are also locked into this contract under GOR until the year 2036! This move would be crazy.

IT would be a coast to coast conference, kind of like what the B1G would be:

Clemson

FSU

Miami

Oregon

Washington

Utah

VT

UNC

UVA

I'm missing a few, but wouldn't be horrible would it?  As far as name cache, it would be better than the B12?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'm missing a few, but wouldn't be horrible would it?  As far as name cache, it would be better than the B12?

Similar to what I was thinking. Dont truly kerge, just gather "the best of the rest." ACC 6 east division (Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, UNC, UVA) + Pac 6 west (UW, Oregon, Utah, CU, AZ, ASU/Cal). Or even more meta: West (UW, OR, AZ, Cal) + Cental (KU, Tech, ISU, OSU) + East (UNC, UVA, FSU, Clemson)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Trust me, that's not just odd, it's downright bizarre.

To put that in perspective, most Boards of Regents/Trustees will meet 3-4 times a year.  There may be one or two special meetings sprinkled in if there's a legal issue, major personnel issue, or real estate purchase that cannot wait until the next regularly scheduled meeting.

In other words, university boards only meet off-scheduled when it's a time-sensitive matter.

Trust me, a CU grad and college professor, that having another meeting that they've had many of isn't all that terribly strange. It would be odd if they weren't discussing this right now. I interpreted the Tweeter as expecting something big to come of that meeting - it won't. The board can't even decide major moves within the confines of that meeting.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, LTbear said:

Trust me, a CU grad and college professor, that having another meeting that they've had many of isn't all that terribly strange. It would be odd if they weren't discussing this right now. I interpreted the Tweeter as expecting something big to come of that meeting - it won't. The board can't even decide major moves within the confines of that meeting.

I meant the 8 meetings in one summer. I’ve never heard of a board doing that. Maybe a subcommittee doing a search for a new president, but that’s it. 

• Hook 'Em 1