Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

22 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Also - IF they actually get a deal done, you know it’s going to be relatively short-term because of the Washington/Oregon situation.

So yeah the best case for PAC seems to be getting “similar” money (if not somewhat lower) to the Big 12, but less exposure, and then it’s short-term so you have no stability because you know that Oregon/Wash will leave for the B1G two seconds after they are invited; and now you’re in the MWC money zone for your next deal, which may be basically right around the corner (2-3 years or so).

PAC is fucked regardless if WA/OR don't sign a long-term GoR. 

I expect UA & CU to bolt soon and UU & ASU to follow shortly thereafter if their administrations don't balk. They seem to think the PAC is an academics league.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Most have been saying the Pac's money will be comparable to the Big 12, but their visibility and exposure will suffer with much of the content being streamed. I'm sure ESPN will buy Pac 12 after dark.

How we define "prime time" for CFB? Mid-afternoon time slots? 

Can't they work out a deal where the streaming service leases out certain games to network tv?

15 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think the PAC should play hardball. Tell ESPN they can overpay for everything or get nothing and watch a whole lot of west coast households not need cable anymore. It probably doesn't work, but their conference probably ends up folding if they end up streaming most of their content, anyway.

Bold strategy cotton

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think the PAC should play hardball. Tell ESPN they can overpay for everything or get nothing and watch a whole lot of west coast households not need cable anymore. It probably doesn't work, but their conference probably ends up folding if they end up streaming most of their content, anyway.

Maybe the "Conference of Champions" eggheads think their fan base is so sophisticated, they won't have any trouble with streaming? If memory serves, their old commish, Larry Scott, tried the strategy you recommend. That's why their carriage rates suffered.

7 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Some sort of Utah Sports coverage site:

So where is the hold up? I’ve been told the Pac-12 is currently negotiating with both Amazon and Apple TV on the streaming end and because it’s new territory the process takes longer and involves more lawyers than simply negotiating with one of the classic TV powers. There is a general precedent in contracts with classic TV powers such as ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. and the various athletic conferences, there isn’t one with streaming services and that makes drawing up a contract more complex and therefore more time-consuming

Horseshit  you can’t tell me that Amazon and Apples lawyers don’t know how to negotiate a contract deal.  

Edited by Gidnik

Pretty surprised Apple hasn't overpaid for the PAC. I guess the MLB negotiation learned them, and they ended up with the MLS deal. 

The PAC's best option is to hire Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon as head coaches and build a dramedy around it. Apple would pay a billion dollars a year for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Maybe the "Conference of Champions" eggheads think their fan base is so sophisticated, they won't have any trouble with streaming? If memory serves, their old commish, Larry Scott, tried the strategy you recommend. That's why their carriage rates suffered.

The Pac 12 Network failed because the conference tried to go it alone so they could keep all the spoils, as partnering with Fox (Big Ten Network) or ESPN (SEC Network) would have required sharing revenue with them.  IIRC there was a pretty lucrative conference network partnership offer from ESPN so it wasn't an issue of no interest.  That was the biggest reason the P12N struggled with both distribution and rates - they didn't have a behemoth like Fox or ESPN strongarming cable companies.  Without that kind of backing not enough cable companies wanted to add the P12N and those that did lowballed the Pac 12 and added the P12N to their sports package addons, so only the die hards went out of their way to access it.  I have Youtube TV.  The ACC Network, The BTN and The SEC Network are all part of their base offering while the P12N isn't available at all.

I think this was a successful strategy if the Pac 16 came to fruition.  Adding Texas and Oklahoma would have increased the footprint and viewership numbers enough to make the P12N viable.  In hindsight it's easy to say trying to establish a conference network without Fox or ESPN was a bad idea because it didn't work, but if it did work a conference network owned entirely by the conference would have earned big bucks.  I'm not sure what percentage of the ACC/SEC Networks are owned by ESPN but I think the B1G only owns about a third of the BTN.

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pretty surprised Apple hasn't overpaid for the PAC. I guess the MLB negotiation learned them, and they ended up with the MLS deal. 

The PAC's best option is to hire Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon as head coaches and build a dramedy around it. Apple would pay a billion dollars a year for that. 

The Pac 12 is getting screwed hard by timing.  Media companies, tech companies and sports networks are all hurting right now.  None of them are in drunken sailor spending mode where they bid against themselves like we've seen so often with past sports media deals.  Combine that belt tightening with everyone knowing there aren't a lot of bidders for the Pac 12 and their most valuable properties calling the B1G for an invitation daily and that's why they have a hard ceiling on their media value.

11 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

The Pac 12 Network failed because the conference tried to go it alone so they could keep all the spoils, as partnering with Fox (Big Ten Network) or ESPN (SEC Network) would have required sharing revenue with them.  IIRC there was a pretty lucrative conference network partnership offer from ESPN so it wasn't an issue of no interest.  That was the biggest reason the P12N struggled with both distribution and rates - they didn't have a behemoth like Fox or ESPN strongarming cable companies.  Without that kind of backing not enough cable companies wanted to add the P12N and those that did lowballed the Pac 12 and added the P12N to their sports package addons, so only the die hards went out of their way to access it.  I have Youtube TV.  The ACC Network, The BTN and The SEC Network are all part of their base offering while the P12N isn't available at all.

I think this was a successful strategy if the Pac 16 came to fruition.  Adding Texas and Oklahoma would have increased the footprint and viewership numbers enough to make the P12N viable.  In hindsight it's easy to say trying to establish a conference network without Fox or ESPN was a bad idea because it didn't work, but if it did work a conference network owned entirely by the conference would have earned big bucks.  I'm not sure what percentage of the ACC/SEC Networks are owned by ESPN but I think the B1G only owns about a third of the BTN.

The Pac 12 is getting screwed hard by timing.  Media companies, tech companies and sports networks are all hurting right now.  None of them are in drunken sailor spending mode where they bid against themselves like we've seen so often with past sports media deals.  Combine that belt tightening with everyone knowing there aren't a lot of bidders for the Pac 12 and their most valuable properties calling the B1G for an invitation daily and that's why they have a hard ceiling on their media value.

Every oil and gas company to Silicon Valley right now:

image.gif.ae0b78d2300dd49a34adef3e47b24a1f.gif

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/11/2023 at 9:52 AM, Jabberwocky said:

Some sort of Utah Sports coverage site:

Welp sounds like there are others that think in the future (maybe 2030's) B1G &/ or SEC may look at brands like Utah[& maybe / Arizona/ Arizona State/ Colorado]:

Oddly enough, in last 5 years Utes & Sun Devils have better football stadium attendance than does Virginia/ North Carolina/ Georgia Tech who SEC/ B1G may eye...

9 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Oddly enough, in last 5 years Utes & Sun Devils have better football stadium attendance than does Virginia/ North Carolina/ Georgia Tech who SEC/ B1G may eye...

Now compare their attendance to the R8 and Big 12 newbies.

It amuses me that Utah and ASU think they're "too good" for the revamped Big 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Welp sounds like there are others that think in the future (maybe 2030's) B1G &/ or SEC may look at brands like Utah[& maybe / Arizona/ Arizona State/ Colorado]:

Utah's hubris is pretty comical these days. They think they are Stanford or USC, when they only really move the needle in on field performance. Once Kyle Whittingham retires I will be very curious if they can sustain it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Utah's hubris is pretty comical these days. They think they are Stanford or USC, when they only really move the needle in on field performance. Once Kyle Whittingham retires I will be very curious if they can sustain it. 

UU should do what's best for the program NOW and short-term.

They've got a long ways to go before the B1G even sniffs them. I don't think the SEC ever will. Either way, the Big 12 isn't a demotion from a PAC without USC & UCLA. 

I'm starting to think the SEC might not even want to go past 16.  With UT and OU, there aren't any top end brands left (none of the ACC brands are quite on that tier), and it starts to get hard to play everyone with any kind of regularity, and you start diluting the competition.

Even if the Big 10 adds some other schools that fit their academics or TV market ambitions, does the SEC have to keep up in a numbers game?  The Big 10 has a lot more chaff in terms of quality programs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm starting to think the SEC might not even want to go past 16.  With UT and OU, there aren't any top end brands left (none of the ACC brands are quite on that tier), and it starts to get hard to play everyone with any kind of regularity, and you start diluting the competition.

Even if the Big 10 adds some other schools that fit their academics or TV market ambitions, does the SEC have to keep up in a numbers game?  The Big 10 has a lot more chaff in terms of quality programs.

Clemson needs to be an SEC school, it just fits too well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Clemson needs to be an SEC school, it just fits too well.

I would say the same about FSU, but does the SEC want more teams in those states?  

It would actually make more sense for them to boot SC and add Clemson than have both schools.

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

They have also been in the mix for the P12 championship each year during that time. You are seeing peak Utah right now versus non peak North Carolina, Virginia, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They'll add, but it has to be the absolute right pieces and geography.

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would say the same about FSU, but does the SEC want more teams in those states?  

It would actually make more sense for them to boot SC and add Clemson than have both schools.

Clemson would be a no brainer, FSU is also kind of a no brainer if for no other reason than to place a net around Florida recruiting like they have done with Texas. That would give them 100% control of four of the biggest recruiting talent bases in the country in Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia plus everything in between Texas and Florida. 

Edited by Vertigo

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I could see the SEC maaaaaybe being interested in Clemson and FSU, and maybe one school each from the states of North Carolina and Virginia. Beyond that, I don't think there's anything else, and any of those might be a stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you go to 10 conference games 3/7/7 in an 18 team conference works out to playing everyone twice every 4 years, just like 3/6/6 with 9 conference games in a 16 team conference.  It also fixes the problem of half your league having 5 conference home games while the other half only has 4 with 9 conference games.  Considering TV money is what's driving everything these days and networks will pay up for more conference games this might happen.  Expanded CFP also alleviates the need for cupcake games for teams with CFP ambitions, though I'd imagine the teams just trying to win 6 games and make the OptOut.com Bowl wouldn't be too thrilled with it.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

They have also been in the mix for the P12 championship each year during that time. You are seeing peak Utah right now versus non peak North Carolina, Virginia, etc. 

You have to use VHS tapes to see what their football peaks look like.  North Carolina's last conference title was in 1980, Virginia's was in 1989 (shared in 1995).  Virginia still hasn't won 10+ games in a year beginning with 2.  North Carolina has only done it once, going 11-3 in 2015.  Their losses were to South Carolina and Clemson and Baylor so they were just beating up on garbage ACC teams that year.  Utah has been pretty consistently good since hiring Urban Meyer 20 years ago.

Football doesn't even make the top 5 for reasons UNC and UVA are getting B1G/SEC consideration.  They're the perfect schedule filler schools, which are still valuable in their own way.  They bring good recruiting territory, good academics, good markets and great basketball but they'll never seriously threaten anyone in football.  Compare that to schedule filler schools in other conference like Oregon State/Washington State or Illinois/Rutgers or Mississippi State/South Carolina and they offer much more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

If you go to 10 conference games 3/7/7 in an 18 team conference works out to playing everyone twice every 4 years, just like 3/6/6 with 9 conference games in a 16 team conference.  It also fixes the problem of half your league having 5 conference home games while the other half only has 4 with 9 conference games.  Considering TV money is what's driving everything these days and networks will pay up for more conference games this might happen.  Expanded CFP also alleviates the need for cupcake games for teams with CFP ambitions, though I'd imagine the teams just trying to win 6 games and make the OptOut.com Bowl wouldn't be too thrilled with it.

10 conference games would be madness. You would have to schedule only bodybag games in your OOC. 

9 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

You have to use VHS tapes to see what their football peaks look like.  North Carolina's last conference title was in 1980, Virginia's was in 1989 (shared in 1995).  Virginia still hasn't won 10+ games in a year beginning with 2.  North Carolina has only done it once, going 11-3 in 2015.  Their losses were to South Carolina and Clemson and Baylor so they were just beating up on garbage ACC teams that year.  Utah has been pretty consistently good since hiring Urban Meyer 20 years ago.

Football doesn't even make the top 5 for reasons UNC and UVA are getting B1G/SEC consideration.  They're the perfect schedule filler schools, which are still valuable in their own way.  They bring good recruiting territory, good academics, good markets and great basketball but they'll never seriously threaten anyone in football.  Compare that to schedule filler schools in other conference like Oregon State/Washington State or Illinois/Rutgers or Mississippi State/South Carolina and they offer much more.

Man, I just don't see 10 conference games happening.  Maybe.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Man, I just don't see 10 conference games happening.  Maybe.

Yeah.  I can't see 10 happening, either.  I think that will be part of the difficulty of further expansion.  You'd have to invite someone so desirable that you don't mind seeing everyone else less often.  There are very few programs who bring that to the table for either the SEC or the B1G.   

That said, if the SEC or B1G went to 18, they'd probably have a 2-5-5-5 model, and if they go to 20, they'd probably have a 4-5-5-5 model.  You'd rotate through the entire conference, home and away, every six years instead of every four.

11 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  I can't see 10 happening, either.  I think that will be part of the difficulty of further expansion.  You'd have to invite someone so desirable that you don't mind seeing everyone else less often.  There are very few programs who bring that to the table for either the SEC or the B1G.   

That said, if the SEC or B1G went to 18, they'd probably have a 2-5-5-5 model, and if they go to 20, they'd probably have a 4-5-5-5 model.  You'd rotate through the entire conference, home and away, every six years instead of every four.

On a second look, 2-5-5-5 doesn't really work well.  Maybe if you're at 18 members, you go 5-4-4-4.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agreed

A league is too cumbersome at 16, IMO, but the proposed 3-6-6 SEC schedule will work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd honestly watch that before Nebraska vs. Indiana.

Edited by Liquor and Poker
honsetly
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Useless word vomit is useless. Talk about of rumors we already know (don’t even get all of them) and then discuss things like relegation?!? Pointless.

A better article would be about potential NIL limitations/legislation, or about codifying a ‘SEC/B1G Super League’ (is it just expanding and cooperating with these two leagues or are Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St, USC, OU and ND getting together and forming a new league) and what antitrust concerns may be looming, do they only do this in football and do they also breakaway for basketball too?

18 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

It'll be interesting to watch which conference will attempt to negotiate separate deals for football & basketball + the rest. I don't know that it's going to happen the next time around, but it feels like it's coming & schools like UNC, UVA, & Duke are going to be uber valuable if/when that happens. If those 3 move to the SEC or B1G it'd be worth a shot. Obviously the weekend games won't do much during the NFL playoffs, but the weeknight games in January with no more college football, MNF, or TNF & the February content should prove pretty valuable if you schedule it correctly.

17 minutes ago, hook me said:

It'll be interesting to watch which conference will attempt to negotiate separate deals for football & basketball + the rest. I don't know that it's going to happen the next time around, but it feels like it's coming & schools like UNC, UVA, & Duke are going to be uber valuable if/when that happens. If those 3 move to the SEC or B1G it'd be worth a shot. Obviously the weekend games won't do much during the NFL playoffs, but the weeknight games in January with no more college football, MNF, or TNF & the February content should prove pretty valuable if you schedule it correctly.

If there is a breakway from NCAA football and basketball both will be front and center because of the money maker march madness is. Schools like UNC, Duke, UCONN, etc are key in that.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If there is a breakway from NCAA football and basketball both will be front and center because of the money maker march madness is. Schools like UNC, Duke, UCONN, etc are key in that.

If the SEC goes to 24 then basketball will be a focus and FSU and Clemson are crucial as they’d give you 10 major brands that have BCS/CFP championships and will offset the other adds.

Fb adds - FSU, Clemson
Market/bb adds - UNC, UVA
Bb adds - Kansas, Duke
Wildcards - 2 (assuming Miami would make the cut if not already in the B1G to keep them out of Florida, and maybe VT for the same reason)

7 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If the SEC goes to 24 then basketball will be a focus and FSU and Clemson are crucial as they’d give you 10 major brands that have BCS/CFP championships and will offset the other adds.

Fb adds - FSU, Clemson
Bb adds - Kansas, Duke
Wildcards - 2 (assuming Miami would make the cut if not already in the B1G to keep them out of Florida, and maybe VT for the same reason)

In a "Football Is King" and post-Coach K world, I don't see Duke ever getting an SEC invite. Also, Kansas is too distant, both geographically and culturally (not to mention shitty in football) to get an invite either, but as an AAU school, I could see them being a one-day B1G invite as a bridge to the LA schools. I think Miami is out, too, due to their weak fanbase and fading legacy.

1 hour ago, hook me said:

Yormark already said he plans to separate Big 12 basketball into its own contract with the next media deal.  Who knows what the landscape looks like at that point but I think it's possible for good basketball conferences to get more juice off basketball than they're currently squeezing.

Restructuring March Madness and taking control of it away from the NCAA towards the schools would be the real basketball moneymaker.  The tournament has always been the NCAA's biggest payday, which is why basketball bluebloods were untouchable for buying players pre-NIL and faking classes for their players.  Postseason bans for Kansas and North Carolina hoops would have been far more harmful for the NCAA's bottom line than postseason bans for USC and Ohio State football were.  I forget the exact timeline it can happen but that possibility is on the table when the current contract expires about a decade from now.  I don't think the B1G and SEC could take over March Madness the way they're probably going to do with the CFP because there are too many winning basketball programs that won't get into those conferences and because Cinderellas are much more likely in basketball than in football.

6 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

If UU is working so hard to save the PAC10 wouldn't they go ahead and sign their GOR? Asking for a friend.

The issue is getting all 10 teams to sign the GOR, not just Utah.  Oregon and Washington aren't committing to anything until they get an emphatic no from the B1G.  Even if those two stay they might demand unequal media revenue sharing, which would cause some friction with the Four Corner schools because they have leverage thanks to Big 12 interest.  Why take a haircut to prop up Oregon and Washington (worth noting they were both strong advocates for equal revenue sharing back when it wasn't their revenue that was being shared) while they continue planning an exit strategy that would leave you high and dry when you could get more money, better exposure and be treated like an equal in a conference with better leadership?  There are a lot of competing agendas and egos to manage if the Pac 12 is to survive.  Nothing the conference has done in recent memory inspires confidence they'll pull it off in a way that satisfies everyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Fb adds - FSU, Clemson
Bb adds - Kansas, Duke

In don't think markets are the driving force behind realignment these days.  In fact whoever it was from ESPN blatantly stated it about matchups nowadays. 

The numbers I've seen floating around on sports talk is games that break the 4 million viewer mark, and UNC football and basketball combined don't scratch that. If this is true, it explains why Oregon and Washington are still sitting where they are.  They hardly ever get those numbers.  Not even when they play each other.  

The two main conference networks seem to be satisfied with their footprint and are now focusing on the national audience and those sweet advertising dollars.  

• Hook 'Em 1