Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

13 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I find this latest from Wilner absolutely hilarious.  First, he provides ZERO new information, but rather finally admits to what everyone else can see.  Second, he's trying to give himself an out from the many months of his stance that the Pac 12 won't fold, it's better than the Big 12, it will get a great TV deal, yada yada yada.  And to be honest, it still may...but it's just funny to finally see Wilner admit there's a possibility GK fucked this whole thing up.

he's slowly backing out because he needs credibility after the pending asteroid

• Hook 'Em 2

OK, can you guys hear me? Barb, can you fix the sound? OK there, yeah. Alright, I'll keep this brief because I know everybody is busy. This is the conference of champions, you know. Hehe. OK so on media negotiations, things are looking good. I don't want to bring you a final deal to approve until its not just good, but ideal. We are looking at maximizing a range of benefits with an eye toward positioning ourselves as THE conference to emulate going forward. We have multiple suitors, including traditional networks as well as higher-tech platforms and modern streaming options. There is literally no telling how much a certain company in Cupertino might be willing to pay, you know, once we confirm everything. Really the message is to stay the course and trust the process. We will try to keep trying to give you positive updates like today's as they become available. A final package that rivals anything else done recently in the P5 could theoretically be in your hands as early as April. Obviously I can't divulge too many specifics of our counterparties' hard numbers yet, but I'd be happy to answer anything else you might have. What? Barb, the sound? Well, yes. No. No questions I guess. Is the meeting still"

Kliavkov gave a positive update.

Marchand and Ourand.  Talk about Pac 12 deal 25:00-29:00.  Nothing much new.  Just:

ESPN isn't close.

Amazon will do a deal but only at their price.

Apple is possible but would only do an all in deal.

Things are dicey.  Speculates a little about the rush by the presidents.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-79-espn-layoffs-and-the-big-get-rebecca-lobo/id1587364692?i=1000605324937

hanks Jon! In my opinion, if George doesn't even have numbers he can share that's a worse sign than I even imagined.
Quote Tweet

P-tyl7qN_mini.jpeg

Jon Wilner

@wilnerhotline
·
2h
Replying to @jasonscheer
I'm sure Kliavkoff has seen initial $$$s at least. Honestly don't know what has been shared w full board or exec comm and whether all parties have submitted final bids, whether there's a range based on tiers being mixed/matched, etc. These deals are really complicated

vVGPf7Hy_normal.jpg

Just a reminder with Apple. There better be a plan to get games on linear or it won't work. Presidents have been very vocal about the majority of programming being streamed. Robbins came out and said it for everybody to see.

Last point on this whole thing, hopefully. Presidents have 100 percent been presented with numbers. They aren't close to good enough. George then says give me some time and we do the whole cycle again where you're lied to about the significance of these meetings.

vVGPf7Hy_normal.jpg

There was never going to be a deal today. I'm sorry that others led you guys in that direction.

vVGPf7Hy_normal.jpg

We're going to find out how real President Robbins' April 15 deadline is.

12 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

what a clown show this is turning into

They're just kicking the "things are happening / we almost have a deal" can down the road until Arizona finally bolts.  When that happens, they can blame the Wildcats for messing up a deal they were *thisclose* to getting done.  

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Who is Andrew Marchand? I'm not good with keeping track of all these people 

Sports media columnist for the New York Post. He does a podcast with another writer from the Sports Business Journal. Someone posted a link to the podcast a few posts ago in the thread. 

He is considered to be pretty well sourced through his connections.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fox already has the markets they want, and they run MLB on Saturday nights. Why would they give a shit about the PAC? Canzano is probably parakeeting his source, but he has to think this shit through. His reporting doesn't make any sense. Don't let your source use you like this man. This is Chip Brown reporting Notre Dame and Clemson to Big 12 level bad. 

I kind of wish ESPN would swoop in and offer the PAC $31 million and $1 just to shut them the f*** up so we can back to spring ball. But, with massive layoffs looming and the SEC money about to hit the books, I don't see it happening. 

I kind of surprised Amazon isn't into it. They're so f***ing integrated you can watch the Cowboys on Thursday Night Football, press pause, and buy merch on the same site. Surely they see the upside in selling Oregon hoodies during games. It feels like something is going on behind the scenes there. 

Apple holding them hostage through the summer is probably the most humorous outcome. 

I'm guessing Apple has their eyes on a much, much larger prize than the Pac-12:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-23/apple-considers-bidding-for-english-football-streaming-rights#xj4y7vzkg

Following initial rumored interest, Apple is again rumored to be looking at bidding for English Premier League football streaming. This morning, Bloomberg reports that Apple is considering rights to stream Premier League and lower league matches in the UK.

This follows the debut of MLS Season Pass this past February, MLB Friday Night Baseball, and many rumors of other Apple sports streaming initiatives in development including negotiations with the Pac-12.

In the UK, Premier League matches are currently broadcast by companies including Sky, BT Sport, and Amazon. In the US, Premier League games are streamed through Peacock.

Apple has approached sports streaming from several directions. For instance, MLS Season Pass is a separate subscription package, priced at $14.99 per month, including streaming and on-demand access to all Major League Soccer games without blackouts.

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Canzano looks like like an idiot. 

He reminds me of the Dude of West Virginia, aka the highlander Christopher Lambert.  He would tweet the most ridiculous things that people had told him.  I think they did it just to see if he would actually put it out there.

I hate these basement broadcasters who act like they has some sort of inside knowledge. When in reality they know less than Wayne's World. This guy has to be the worst one out there. He spends the first five minutes of his video talking about his mini helmet collection. Then he spouts off made up BS about realignment.

55 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I hate these basement broadcasters who act like they has some sort of inside knowledge. When in reality they know less than Wayne's World. This guy has to be the worst one out there. He spends the first five minutes of his video talking about his mini helmet collection. Then he spouts off made up BS about realignment.

I think that's actually MHVer3.

https://voiceofmotown.com/west-virginias-ultimate-insider-opens-up-the-mhver3-interview/

Speaking of which, an actual interview with MHVer3.

One thing I will say for MHver3 and the Dude.  West Virginia is a small state and so its like a small town.  Everybody knows everybody.  So it really is possible for random tweeters to know somebody who actually knows something within the WV AD.  I'm guessing his "sources" around the country are other people like him who know somebody who does know something.  But not anybody with first hand knowledge.

43 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think that's actually MHVer3.

Funny enough I think he has more validity than people give him credit for. I have long suspected he’s kin to one of the bigger sports media consultants and has used that to purposely spread some disinformation as well as do some legit reporting. 

I first thought he had an in with FOX, but now I am beginning to suspect it is more with Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures, which would explain the overlapping scuttle butt with other weird ventures.

I don’t trust him, but he tends to have more grains of truth in there early, so it’s almost like he’s being used as a sounding board.

• Like 1

WTF

https://sjvsun.com/news/fresno/measure-e-is-back-heres-an-early-preview-of-the-measure-to-boost-fresno-st-athletics-academics/

Here's the relevant bit:

This second, more-focused attempt at passing Measure E comes as Fresno State’s athletics future hangs in the balance. During the confab, Jimenez-Sandoval confirmed the rumors that the Big 12 is interested in Fresno State, saying that the major conference would like to add a strong West Coast brand to its ranks. 

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2023 at 8:41 AM, TrashMaster G said:

The PAC is about the become the one thing that nobody ever wants to be a part of:  A cautionary tale

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

• Hook 'Em 1

4. The slog schedule process

The further Big Ten officials delve into a new schedule format, the more exposed is the reality of USC and UCLA alone on the West Coast.

Officials continue to work through format proposals — 3 permanent opponents and 6 rotating is still the likely choice — even though it could all be scrapped once a new commissioner is hired and if expansion is revisited.

Multiple Big Ten officials expressed concern about travel logistics with USC and UCLA, and earlier this month told Saturday Tradition that athletic scheduling/travel and academic “stress” for all student athletes at all member institutions (not just football players) must be addressed — and that USC and UCLA can’t be left “on a geographic island.”

The Big Ten and the SEC both will likely announce in May new schedule formats for their 16-team leagues in 2024. The Big Ten schedule could be reworked — and allow more flexibility for USC and UCLA — should the conference add 2 (Oregon, Washington) or more teams (Stanford, Cal) in expansion.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1g-10-jim-harbaugh-poised-to-finally-hit-the-elite-level-in-recruiting-at-michigan/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Isn’t that a “take your money and shut up” situation?

It's an "Oregon and Washington are getting any dipshit with a CFB blog to write articles about how USC and UCLA will be too isolated without further expansion to help manufacture B1G invitations for themselves" situation.  The only ones who have complained about travel so far are current B1G teams saying they don't want to go to the West Coast more than once a year, which is yet another hurdle for any Pac 12 teams praying for a B1G life raft (none of them increase the size of everyone's slice of the B1G pie, middle tier B1G teams don't want Oregon/Washington games pushing more of their games onto BTN or streaming, B1G would rather save its powder for picking off ACC teams).

I really don't think travel will be that much of an issue.  Traveling in the Pac 12 is already a pain in the ass so this is nothing new.  It's not much longer to go to the B1G West schools from LA than it is to go to the Washington schools or Colorado.  In fact, the new part is that the B1G is committed to helping USC/UCLA with their travel burden as opposed to the Pac 12 going out of its way to make the most obnoxious schedules possible, which screwed USC pretty good in 2016-17 and might screw USC again this fall.  The conference can schedule USC and UCLA football for back to back games against their farthest opponents each season where the team stays out east in between games to cut down on travel.  Do it around fall break or other campus holidays to reduce the academic complaints.  As for other teams coming to LA they can get their bye the week after playing out West so any lingering fatigue doesn't carry over into their next game.  The winter sports can knock out a huge chunk of their conference road slate during Christmas break to minimize travel time and missed classes.  The B1G plays 20 conference basketball games.  Assuming USC and UCLA will always play each other twice in basketball that's 9 remaining road games.  In the 3 week Christmas break USC and UCLA could play 6 or 7 conference road games in one long trip with the B1G making sure each team's farthest road games are included in this stretch.  Play at Penn State, at Rutgers and at Maryland in the same week and you shaved a lot of time off your itinerary.

I'm willing to revisit the travel issue after seeing it in action for a few years but I'd like to at least try it with 16 teams first before throwing up my hands and saying "This is too hard."  If I can spitball ideas like this while I'm bullshitting around in my free time I'm sure the people being paid to address the travel issue can handle it.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Dodd being a PAC mouthpiece totally letting UA president Robbins take the "What me worry" approach. How do you not follow up with any meaningful questioning of Robbins expression of letting the process continue pretty much indefinitely.

Wait, according to PAC loyalists, Dodd is a Big12 mouthpiece?

• Hook 'Em 2

That was a complete nothing piece with the biggest thing of value is now knowing that there won’t be a real offer by the April 15th date…

So once again, what is the real drop dead date, not for the PAC 12 l, but for acceptance into the Big 12? Is it June 1st to set up a full one year as a lame duck school? Is it later than that? I always thought the April 1st date as essentially there to help calm nerves before the last couple of BOT meetings of the academic to keep someone from going rouge during the summer. If that isn’t going to happen, then what does that signal to everyone?