Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That’s not why you’re leaving. The SEC is full of bad actors.  You’re leaving for more money and more big home games.

Send Baylor out west with TCU, drop the AFA, send a Mississippi school or Kentucky west and shuffle Wake back into one of the south/eastern divisions 

I would agree. Let’s be honest. The real reason West Texas fans and legislators are mad at UT is it got away Scott free with something no other school in any other state would have even tried. It threw a lifeline worth millions to an out of state school and did so without dilemma. Imagine USC choosing Oregon instead of UCLA to join them in the B1G. 
That’s the real source of their ire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How are they worse than the bottom half of the SEC?  You get OU, Aggy, LSU, and Arky annually and a big non conference slate to schedule all the blue bloods you want.

But I get it, you’re more interested in casting off a handful of schools that you hate for some weird prestige dork reasons.

That’s not why you’re leaving. The SEC is full of bad actors.  You’re leaving for more money and more big home games.

Send Baylor out west with TCU, drop the AFA, send a Mississippi school or Kentucky west and shuffle Wake back into one of the south/eastern divisions 

You don’t have a fucking clue on this, as usual. Let us know when you have to work around Baylor grads. I’m not talking about knowledgeable fans, of which there are few, but higher than mighty false pious hypocrites who defend Art Briles and their athletics to the fucking hilt. No clue on that one. 

His other reasons for the other schools are dead on as well. You have no understanding of our outlook. It’s always just “blah blah blah money blah blah blah better home games”. Those things matter too, but diminishing the rest of it, as you always do, is your own bullshit blind spot. We’re fucking tired of watching you melt down around it, too. You can’t handle our dismissiveness and derision but you constantly show up to bitch at us. You’re the fat wing girl at the bar with the hot girls, cockblocking any kind of interesting conversation we otherwise wish to have. 

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Tech : going through our pockets trying to get at the PUF. Legislative tantrum where they dragged our president in for some kangaroo court bullshit. 

Baylor: head coach enabled a culture of violence against women and largely went unpunished. Head basketball coach covered up a murder of one his players. Legislative tantrum. 

OK State: coffin sized field they refuse to enlarge. Officiating. 

We’re leaving to get away from these people. 

You are so full of shit with this.

He’s not. All Texas fans paying attention cannot wait to see you idiots relegated to our afterthoughts. Enjoy your time with Gundy while it lasts. You’ll be back to 5-7 forever when it ends and we will gleefully high five each other that we are in no way any longer associated to you rubes and the officiating bullshit we’ve faced with playing y’all. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You don’t have a fucking clue on this, as usual. Let us know when you have to work around Baylor grads. I’m not talking about knowledgeable fans, of which there are few, but higher than mighty false pious hypocrites who defend Art Briles and their athletics to the fucking hilt. No clue on that one. 

His other reasons for the other schools are dead on as well. You have no understanding of our outlook. It’s always just “blah blah blah money blah blah blah better home games”. Those things matter too, but diminishing the rest of it, as you always do, is your own bullshit blind spot. We’re fucking tired of watching you melt down around it, too. You can’t handle our dismissiveness and derision but you constantly show up to bitch at us. You’re the fat wing girl at the bar with the hot girls, cockblocking any kind of interesting conversation we otherwise wish to have. 

He’s not. All Texas fans paying attention cannot wait to see you idiots relegated to our afterthoughts. Enjoy your time with Gundy while it lasts. You’ll be back to 5-7 forever when it ends and we will gleefully high five each other that we are in no way any longer associated to you rubes and the officiating bullshit we’ve faced with playing y’all. 

There’s like 5 of you circle jerk dipshits who believe your own self aggrandizing bullshit in this thread.  Thankfully most of this board isn’t populated with you blow hard chuckle fucks licking your own assholes.  I’m not complaining about anything other than the stupid direction this sport is taking, and I’m hardly alone in my opinion.  I have no beef with Texas.  The decisions it’s making are logical and in its own self interest.  The same decisions every other school, mine included, are currently making.

But the fact that some of you act like this is somehow motivated by high minded ideological motives is just the most eye rolling bullshit ever.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You forgot increased exposure from Disney/ABC/ESPN's media hype train.

Look what it did for aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There’s like 5 of you circle jerk dipshits who believe your own self aggrandizing bullshit in this thread.  Thankfully most of this board isn’t populated with you blow hard chuckle fucks licking your own assholes.  I’m not complaining about anything other than the stupid direction this sport is taking, and I’m hardly alone in my opinion.  I have no beef with Texas.  The decisions it’s making are logical and in its own self interest.  The same decisions every other school, mine included, are currently making.

But the fact that some of you act like this is somehow motivated by high minded ideological motives is just the most eye rolling bullshit ever.

Al, I think a big part of the disconnect is that you’re looking at through the lens of the administration instead of as a general fan. The fans that don’t really give a shit if the school makes more money do care if they don’t have to listen to a semi-educated dipstick on a regular basis. There are lot of big cities here that attract a ton of graduates from all of these schools. We interact with them in a way that I’d imagine is drastically different than your experience in Iowa. While the delivery lacks decorum, it’s not wrong IMO. Most of our fans harbor those feelings toward the schools listed…we’re also fanatics here. For the most part, everyone here is extremely informed compared to the general population when it comes to pretty much any sports topic.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The funniest part of this fantasyland post is where you attempt to cast me as a fringe guy on this board.

troll GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How are they worse than the bottom half of the SEC?  You get OU, Aggy, LSU, and Arky annually and a big non conference slate to schedule all the blue bloods you want.

But I get it, you’re more interested in casting off a handful of schools that you hate for some weird prestige dork reasons.

we have zero home games against state flagships in the b12 other than kansas which is kansas

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tech : going through our pockets trying to get at the PUF. Legislative tantrum where they dragged our president in for some kangaroo court bullshit. 

Baylor: head coach enabled a culture of violence against women and largely went unpunished. Head basketball coach covered up a murder of one his players. Legislative tantrum. 

caught myself trying to double-rep this post

rape and tceh: no remorse

oSu: as enemy of our enemy should have been our ally, but the worst stadium in the "P5" and the officiating killed it, they are now another cougar high to us

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

yup

3 hours ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You are so full of shit with this.

no, it's pretty much full-on accurate

Edited by Hagbard Celine

There’s like 5 of you circle jerk dipshits who believe your own self aggrandizing bullshit in this thread ......  But the fact that some of you act like this is somehow motivated by high minded ideological motives is just the most eye rolling bullshit ever.

most of us like you - and wish you well

most of us dislike tceh - how does iowa feel about you?  have you caused them all kinds of trouble in state politics for 70 years?  no?  then maybe you can't see through our lense

oSu and rape?  about 100% sick of their shit, as noted, no caveats needed

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Here. Just do this8c80110f553818d9b92124bc6c4d363f.jpg

If you move a few schools around and get rid of one of those divisions, it looks a lot like the CFB world I remember growing up in the '70s.

With a few minor changes, you'd have the PAC8, the WAC, Big 8, SWC, BIG, SEC, ACC and the Eastern Seaboard independent schools who eventually became the Big East.  Everything was pretty stable back then, but there's a reason we're not there anymore.

Once the 1984 SCOTUS ruling took broadcasting out of the hands of the NCAA, schools and conferences started looking out for their own financial interests, and capitalism/market competition created an inevitable consolidation that has seen us go from 8 conferences that matter to 5 (and soon to be 3).

Success in CFB is driven by $$$ more than any other sport because of the costs involved- hiring top coaches, size of the rosters, cost of recruiting, etc.

Fan interest was always going to lead to the clustering of tv money and top ratings draws in 2-3 conferences.  Like Thanos, this was inevitable.

Outside of the SWC, which had a unique set of issues, the conferences that are either dead or dying are those with the least passion for football and lowest levels of fan interest (Big East, PAC, ACC, ).  Are/were there schools that were exceptions to the rule in those conferences ?  Yes.  And they all have or will find homes in the BIG/SEC/B12 when everything shakes out.  So I'm not going to cry about the fact that not enough people in New England, the mid-Atlantic or Northern CA care about CFB.

The money is going to the places where people care the most.  The BIG, SEC and B12 deserve to be the surviving conferences because they have the most fans and the highest level of passion.  The B12 won't have the blue bloods of the other 2, so they won't make as much money, but they're going to make a lot more than any other conference because the B12 will have a lot of great matchups between schools with similar resource levels that will be fun to watch.

And while the $$$ differential will make it hard for a B12 team to win a national title, as we saw with TCU vs UGA this year, in a one game playoff setting, anything can happen, as we saw with TCU vs UM.

We're in the transition phase now, but when we end up with a BIG20-24, SEC16-20 and a 20-28 team B12, I think it will actually be a very good setup.  Three conferences of like-minded schools that want to play each other, and a lot of built-in drama/hate for future playoff matchups between teams from the different conferences.  Assuming UW and UO end up in the B12, think about playoffs that included the following types of games on top of UM vs UGA type games:

UT vs Tech/Baylor/TCU

OU vs OSU

Iowa vs ISU

USC vs UO/UW

PSU vs WVU/Pitt

For CFB who didn't go to either school, the interest level in those games in the playoffs would be off the charts in a way that they wouldn't be if they were in the same conference, because the playoff format creates "win or go home" stakes, and the hard feelings, anger, etc that have built up for years between those schools will create must-see tv.  At least it will for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

This is the clown who has said multiple times how great the new WACPAC tv deal is going to be, while coming up with a new excuse each time to explain why nothing has happened yet.

Yeah- these look like the actions of a school that is about to sign a tv deal on par with what the B12 is getting.  😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

The real reason West Texas fans and legislators are mad at UT is it got away Scott free with something no other school in any other state would have even tried. It threw a lifeline worth millions to an out of state school and did so without dilemma.

Like A&M did for Mizzou?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t know why the discussion can’t remain civil. We don’t want to play Big 12 teams anymore, and I doubt any of y’all want to force us into a game or series.

Good luck. I’ll continue to watch Big 12 games because I’m a junkie. 

Don’t conflate the reasons you as a Texas fan don’t want to play Big 12 schools with the reasons the University of Texas chose to leave.

There are a handful of posters constantly looking to jump down the throat of any fans of the Big 12 schools who aren’t thrilled about the direction of college sports.  Those guys continue to be massive cunts.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

most of us like you - and wish you well

most of us dislike tceh - how does iowa feel about you?  have you caused them all kinds of trouble in state politics for 70 years?  no?  then maybe you can't see through our lense

oSu and rape?  about 100% sick of their shit, as noted, no caveats needed

Sports are at their best when you play schools that are close to you whom you hate.

I harbor no desire to keep playing Texas.  I live 10 hours from Texas, interact with 0 Texas fans on a regular basis in real life.

However, I think it’s absurd ISU doesn’t play Nebraska and Missouri, and find it absurd that Texas won’t be playing TTU or Oklahoma won’t Oklahoma State.

Texas and Bama will draw all the eyeballs.  Texas and Kentucky?  Texas and Ole Miss?  Texas and South Carolina?  Those are Big 12 games with zero regional hatred and mutual disdain.  This game is at its best when schools who hate each others guts for Israeli/Palestinian type reasons play each other annually.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You ever watch that show about that lawyer family in South Carolina?  They had this dipshit son who would become a different shittier person when he was drunk.   His friends called that drunk timmay.   We need a second handle for you when you’re drunk and angry

we don’t want anything to do with the big 12 schools.  Why is that hard to understand?   It’s not like it was a warm relationship at any moment in time and a lot of your coaches fucked us over in 08

• Hook 'Em 2

Right, that's pretty clear as has been rehashed 10,000 times on this idiotic thread. That is not why Texas is going to the SEC though. Fans don't make those decisions. Adults do.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don’t conflate the reasons you as a Texas fan don’t want to play Big 12 schools with the reasons the University of Texas chose to leave.

There are a handful of posters constantly looking to jump down the throat of any fans of the Big 12 schools who aren’t thrilled about the direction of college sports.  Those guys continue to be massive cunts.

No one cares about you. No one cares about ISU. Nothing matters less than ISU football. You have had generation after generation after generation to win a national title in cfb and to matter. Your institution can't do it. Your university has been stealing money for a century. You have earned your relegation. Every bit of it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

No one cares about you. No one cares about ISU. Nothing matters less than ISU football. You have had generation after generation after generation to win a national title in cfb and to matter. Your institution can't do it. Your university has been stealing money for a century. You have earned your relegation. Every bit of it. 

Relegation?  Big 12 being a solid #3 isn't relegation by any stretch.  And I don't think you consider the disadvantages that ISU has compared to Texas who is a flagship university in the most talent rich state in the country and zero excuses to not be Top 5 every year given its resources and advantages.   Not knocking on Texas other then the fact that they haven't achieved/overachieved as much as I would have liked to have seen them do except for a few years.  A thriving Texas would be great for college football.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 3

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You ever watch that show about that lawyer family in South Carolina?  They had this dipshit son who would become a different shittier person when he was drunk.   His friends called that drunk timmay.   We need a second handle for you when you’re drunk and angry

we don’t want anything to do with the big 12 schools.  Why is that hard to understand?   It’s not like it was a warm relationship at any moment in time and a lot of your coaches fucked us over in 08

I get why you don't care about playing us or the Kansas schools.  I don't understand not wanting to play schools that whose fans you interact with on a daily basis and have played for 100 years.

I would love to be playing a more regional schedule against schools I dislike for old petty reasons and whose fans annoy me.  That's what make college sports fun.  I don't understand college sports fans who don't want more of that in their schedule.

Drunk?  I made that post stone sober.  I was in perfectly fine spirits until that dickweed with an extremely similar handle to you came flying in guns blazing.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get why you don't care about playing us or the Kansas schools.  I don't understand not wanting to play schools that whose fans you interact with on a daily basis and have played for 100 years.

I would love to be playing a more regional schedule against schools I dislike for old petty reasons and whose fans annoy me.  That's what make college sports fun.  I don't understand college sports fans who don't want more of that in their schedule.

Sometimes rivalries turn toxic.  For one, I'm kind of glad we won't be playing Utah this year (or every year, though that might change) due to our interactions with their fans which bring an unhealthy level of hate and toxicity as to take some of the fun out of it and make it unpleasant.  

• Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The funniest part of this fantasyland post is where you attempt to cast me as a fringe guy on this board.

troll GIF

Some sort of fringe guy?  Nah, I don't doubt you're 1% Surly Elite, but you do seem to be part of a group that paints the SEC move as something more idealistic than reality, while feeling the need to be a massive cunt towards the Big 12 fans here (often with little to no provocation).  I think the idea that Texas left the Big 12 for the SEC due to the character of the member schools, or a poorly officiated game 8 years ago, or whatever complaint getting tossed out by a few in this thread, is the real fantasy.  This is about money, exposure, and more matchups against big names.  None of that has fuck all to do with whatever pettiness exists between the other Texas schools and UT.  The SEC is absolutely loaded with rape enabling, cheating, and all forms of shitty human behavior.  It's worth a lot more money, has more blue bloods, and gets more coverage than the Big 12 and that's why you're headed there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

This makes so much sense, and there is not one logical reason why it should not be this way.

However, there is one illogical reason, and unfortunately it trumps everything....EGO.  

Too many egos in college football to ever allow this structure to happen.

As a Longhorn, I see a problem. Why would Texas be in a conference with Baylor, TT, UH and OSU for example? The last time Texas played in Waco, Baylor sold out their 50k stadium and had a noon kickoff on ABC. 

When Texas goes on the road against Ile Miss, they will sell out a much larger stadium and play in a major network.  

When Texas goes on the road against Rice (not even on your list), again- a sellout, major broadcast. 

I see what being in a conference with Texas does for Baylor and UH. I see what being in a conference with OY does for OSU. What does it do for Texas and OU?

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Okie State said:
9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Right, that's pretty clear as has been rehashed 10,000 times on this idiotic thread. That is not why Texas is going to the SEC though. Fans don't make those decisions. Adults do.

I realize that reading comprehension might be a bridge too far for an OSU person, but you were responding to a poster stating why he was fine, in a fucking silly realignment fantasy premise, being very much done with OSU. You responded to his thoughts that he was wrong on every level. I responded to that telling you that you’re delusional. That led to your laughable and oblivious attempt at condescension and pomposity here, attempting to move the goal posts.

“The adults are in the room” is thematically effective when it appears as though you have a fucking clue what’s actually happening in the conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Some sort of fringe guy?  Nah, I don't doubt you're 1% Surly Elite, but you do seem to be part of a group that paints the SEC move as something more idealistic than reality, while feeling the need to be a massive cunt towards the Big 12 fans here (often with little to no provocation).  I think the idea that Texas left the Big 12 for the SEC due to the character of the member schools, or a poorly officiated game 8 years ago, or whatever complaint getting tossed out by a few in this thread, is the real fantasy.  This is about money, exposure, and more matchups against big names.  None of that has fuck all to do with whatever pettiness exists between the other Texas schools and UT.  The SEC is absolutely loaded with rape enabling, cheating, and all forms of shitty human behavior.  It's worth a lot more money, has more blue bloods, and gets more coverage than the Big 12 and that's why you're headed there.  

See my post to the okie. You’re so oblivious in your need to sermonize on why Texas is leaving the Big 12 that you can’t pause long enough occasionally to realize that that isn’t the core of what’s being discussed at that moment.

We all know why UT chose to leave, you humorless rube. There are also a million reasons why discussions happen on this thread away from those facts and towards the facts why we’re also happy as fans. 

Also, you’re not about to see me or anyone else defend the honor of SEC schools or their integrity and moral fiber. That wasn’t the point, but you’re too dense and wound up in your own talking points to gather that. 

Calling someone a “cunt” here when you’ve become a meme that we point to and laugh at as the Neidermeyer of Big 12 fans is excellent unintentional comedy. That’s two posts in a row for you, so now I’m starting to feel entertained. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Because they are free riders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

See my post to the okie. You’re so oblivious in your need to sermonize on why Texas is leaving the Big 12 that you can’t pause long enough occasionally to realize that that isn’t the core of what’s being discussed at that moment.

We all know why UT chose to leave, you humorless rube. There are also a million reasons why discussions happen on this thread away from those facts and towards the facts why we’re also happy as fans. 

Also, you’re not about to see me or anyone else defend the honor of SEC schools or their integrity and moral fiber. That wasn’t the point, but you’re too dense and wound up in your own talking points to gather that. 

Calling someone a “cunt” here when you’ve become a meme that we point to and laugh at as the Neidermeyer of Big 12 fans is excellent unintentional comedy. That’s two posts in a row for you, so now I’m starting to feel entertained. 

Drop and give me 20.

• Haha 1

I realize that reading comprehension might be a bridge too far for an OSU person, but you were responding to a poster stating why he was fine, in a fucking silly realignment fantasy premise, being very much done with OSU. You responded to his thoughts that he was wrong on every level. I responded to that telling you that you’re delusional. That led to your laughable and oblivious attempt at condescension and pomposity here, attempting to move the goal posts.
“The adults are in the room” is thematically effective when it appears as though you have a fucking clue what’s actually happening in the conversation. 
He literally said 'we're leaving to get away from these people...' Which, of course, is not true. If there was other context prior to that you are correct that I missed it because I did not read it. I fall for clicking on this thread over and over because it shows up in my feed. You'd think I would learn.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texas' historic conference rivals/members are Rice, SMU, Arkansas, A&M, SMU, Baylor, and TCU. OU and Texas were in separate conferences for a long time before rejoining in the B12, but they are the #1 rivalry in this discussion. The only semi-serious football school on that list that doesn't condone rape and murder and that won't be in our new conference is TCU. Texas is not abandoning its traditional rivalries-- it is re-establishing them. Tech is over 300 miles away from Austin, was a relatively late addition to the SWC, and only exists in anyone's football universe because of the late, great Mike Leach. UH is a former HS now commuter school aspiring to be the UT of Houston and another late addition to the SWC.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on Surlyites and Longhorn fans in general. A post looking forward to leaving a league forged out of expedience and political blackmail is not one of the better ones, nor are posts defending it.

• Hook 'Em 3

Oh yay, back to this stuff for the fortieth time. The one thing I observed while living in Texas is that there really does appear to be animosity among Texas universities at the administrative level and not just the fans. I don't know much about the PUF but it sounds like a real issue, although I still don't think it should matter to sports rivalries. Fuck Baylor, I think everyone can agree that they should have lost their right to play high level sports (or sports at all) through the basketball murder and rape culture scandals. I get that a bunch of you hate us for some poorly officiated games, same as rape culture I guess. 

It seems silly though for such a large economically powerful state to have true hatred at the administrative level among its major universities (although with aggy it might be unavoidable because of their ridiculous fake army culture). Do the Cal and Cal State systems have the same dynamic? I honestly have no idea, so maybe it's normal. OU and OSU get along at an administrative level, but maybe its because we're a small state and cooperation is necessary to have any semblance of competitiveness in the economy. We have enough holding us back, don't need university fights making it worse.

None of this matters. Al's post was realignment pron that all of us have been participating in for over a decade. It's how things should be but we all know will never in a million years happen. Peak offseason I guess. BIG and SEC get all the money, XII will get good money and be a competitive conference, ACC screwed themselves financially for the next decade, and the PAC is a shell and likely done for, all we're waiting on is for it to finally happen. I'm hyped currently for the Big XII baseball tourney.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Oh yay, back to this stuff for the fortieth time. The one thing I observed while living in Texas is that there really does appear to be animosity among Texas universities at the administrative level and not just the fans. I don't know much about the PUF but it sounds like a real issue, although I still don't think it should matter to sports rivalries. Fuck Baylor, I think everyone can agree that they should have lost their right to play high level sports (or sports at all) through the basketball murder and rape culture scandals. I get that a bunch of you hate us for some poorly officiated games, same as rape culture I guess. 

It seems silly though for such a large economically powerful state to have true hatred at the administrative level among its major universities (although with aggy it might be unavoidable because of their ridiculous fake army culture). Do the Cal and Cal State systems have the same dynamic? I honestly have no idea, so maybe it's normal. OU and OSU get along at an administrative level, but maybe its because we're a small state and cooperation is necessary to have any semblance of competitiveness in the economy. We have enough holding us back, don't need university fights making it worse.

None of this matters. Al's post was realignment pron that all of us have been participating in for over a decade. It's how things should be but we all know will never in a million years happen. Peak offseason I guess. BIG and SEC get all the money, XII will get good money and be a competitive conference, ACC screwed themselves financially for the next decade, and the PAC is a shell and likely done for, all we're waiting on is for it to finally happen. I'm hyped currently for the Big XII baseball tourney.

Exactly.  I was bored in the tractor over the weekend and tried to lay out an 8 x 9 that would prove satisfactory to the highest number of people, because I think would work fantastically well.  It won't because happen because of the amount of people whose livelihoods depend on the increasingly silly conference model, and because of a lot of ego and hurt feelings that are on display all over this thread.

7 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Back on topic, this seems like a bit of a "holy shit" moment. It's almost as if they see enough certainty that they'll be MWC soon and making peanuts compared to their tenure in the PAC. I'm pretty sure the PAC is just about dead. Maybe the Big 10 media contract not being signed yet is an open door with the new commish to go ahead and move forward with UO and UW, which would be the official end of the PAC I think. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

OUCH! So PACX schools are now making budget cuts to cover the Comcast refund. AND more importantly this makes me think WST knows the PACX is dead and WST needs to conserve funds and stretch dollars because they're not included in the realignment talks.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Back on topic, this seems like a bit of a "holy shit" moment. It's almost as if they see enough certainty that they'll be MWC soon and making peanuts compared to their tenure in the PAC. I'm pretty sure the PAC is just about dead. Maybe the Big 10 media contract not being signed yet is an open door with the new commish to go ahead and move forward with UO and UW, which would be the official end of the PAC I think. 

I think it's a realization they're going to be on the hook for more than 1/12th of the reimbursement for that 50M cable partner overpayment.  USC and UCLA are trying to get out of it by saying it's a conference fuck up, not a USC/UCLA fuck up, and we won't be in the conference when you repay it so we're not pitching in.  If that's successful, schools leaving for the Big 12 could make the same argument.  50/12 = 4.167M owed per team, which is painful for Washington State even in the best of times.  It becomes a lot more painful with an uncertain future, especially if more teams get out of paying for the overpayment.  50/10 = 5M, 50/8 = 6.25M, 50/6 = 8.33M, 50/4 = 12.5M.

It's really hard to kill off a conference and I thought the Pac 12 would survive by left behind teams absorbing midmajors because the Pac 12 brand is more valuable than the MWC brand, but it's possible the Pac 12 dies because of this.  The left behind teams will have to decide if the Pac 12's brand value outweighs paying off that 50M.  If not they might euthanize the Pac 12 and join the MWC or create a new conference with their favorite G5 teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

Maybe hearing the perspective of a fan whose school is in a similar situation as Texas but has zero bad blood with the Big 12 (besides kneecapping Oklahoma's program, lol) will help remove some of the emotion from it.  It's fun to have those kinds of bitter games when the hatred is mutual; it's not so fun when you view it as just another game while all of the bitterness and hatred comes from the other side.  Texas will still have their mutual hatred games in the SEC with Oklahoma and A&M.  USC will still play UCLA in the B1G, plus Notre Dame isn't leaving the schedule.  I'm still getting my fix of the teams I love to hate after USC leaves the Pac 12.  People like to joke about USC soon playing conference games against Rutgers and Maryland...but for USC fans it isn't that different from conference games against teams like Colorado and Washington State we already didn't give a fuck about.

What I give a fuck about is finally being in a conference with peer programs instead of sticking out as the Goliath lightning rod for a conference full of Davids looking for somebody to hate and blame for all their problems and circle as their Super Bowl.  Swapping games against Pac 12 teams I don't care about playing for games against B1G teams I won't care about playing is an acceptable tradeoff to get what I want.  If the left behind Pac 12 teams are upset they're losing a bitter regional hatred game where 95% of the bitter hatred comes from their side, that's their problem.  It's also a failure on their part to consider how the departing team's fans view realignment because like I said USC will continue playing the teams our fanbase actually does hate.

Only one side of this equation is bemoaning the loss of regional hatred because only one side ever had those feelings in the first place.  For example, USC has much bigger goals than winning dogfights in front of 30K people at Oregon State while a top 10 list of best ever Oregon State football moments would include multiple upsets over USC.  In every single way except travel and questionable definitions of regional hatred it's more beneficial for USC to drop Oregon State and replace them with Ohio State.  USC beats Ohio State?  It's the story of the week, the entire country watched, it's a nice feather in the cap for recruiting.  USC beats Oregon State?  Nobody even noticed because it was a Pac 12 After Dark kickoff on the Pac 12 Network.  USC loses to Ohio State?  Quality loss, you only drop 3 spots in the rankings and your season isn't over.  USC loses to Oregon State?  The season is totally fucked, that loss is a scarlet letter and you plummet double digits in the rankings.  It's also the story of the week so have fun seeing the highlights during pregame and halftime of any other game you watch.  Ohio State comes to the Coliseum?  Huge event, crowd will be over-capacity, if you can't attend reselling your tickets will pay for your season tickets.  Oregon State comes to the Coliseum?  Zzz, that's the kind of game they make you buy in a bundle if you want to also get tickets against Notre Dame or UCLA.  Ohio State helps make more money for USC, Oregon State's athletic department lives on welfare checks taken out of USC's revenue.  I'm not compelled to give up all those benefits of leaving the Pac 12 for the B1G because people who aren't USC fans don't like that USC will no longer play other West Coast teams.

My pipe dream is getting rid of the entire idea of conferences altogether.  It's just D1 football with geographic divisions that feed playoffs.  That's it.  Rankings wouldn't matter, perception wouldn't matter.  Win and you're in.  Revenues would be distributed on some ratings basis so you wouldn't have leeches and cows.  The schools that bring eyeballs get paid more than the ones who don't - straight up.  You also have 4 open dates to play all of these other interesting programs every year while having enough likely wins on the schedule to stay competitive.

There are going to be a lot of Big 10 games that end up boring the shit out of you.  Why play those boring games on the other side of the country?

In this proposed model, all the complaints about conference jealousy and infighting become moot.  Your school can associate with whomever the fuck it wants to you for whatever fucking reason.  But the sports would make sense.  As a fan of a David school, I don't need a Goliath in my life.  I want to play against schools that are close to mine, similar to mine, and who's fans I will casually interact with.  There really isn't a Goliath (Nebraska once was, but those days are long gone) that meets those criteria.

• Hook 'Em 1

Drunk?  I made that post stone sober.  I was in perfectly fine spirits until that dickweed with an extremely similar handle to you came flying in guns blazing.

We fucking hate playing those schools because it’s a lose-lose for Texas and OU, we beat the absolute fuck out of them and their fans are “ wow a bunch of a 5* stars beat a bunch of nobodies, Texas should always beat us, who cares.” If we but if we lose it’s “wow a bunch of 5* at blue blood lost to a bunch of nobodies.” UT/OU get zero credit for beating the shit out of big 12 and get clowned when we lose. Of course ISU/KU/Tech/ loves this arrangement because nobody gives a shit when y’all suck shit through a straw  for decades with but y’all milk the fuck out of the 1 in 10 times you manage to beat a bad OU or Texas. Both Texas and OU fans have grown to hate this arrangement because we can’t enjoy the season when we are playing not to lose instead or playing to win.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

This is the clown who has said multiple times how great the new WACPAC tv deal is going to be, while coming up with a new excuse each time to explain why nothing has happened yet.

Yeah- these look like the actions of a school that is about to sign a tv deal on par with what the B12 is getting.  😂

7bde3c6faa7e784427fea0f6c2feefe6.png

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

I think it's a realization they're going to be on the hook for more than 1/12th of the reimbursement for that 50M cable partner overpayment.  USC and UCLA are trying to get out of it by saying it's a conference fuck up, not a USC/UCLA fuck up, and we won't be in the conference when you repay it so we're not pitching in.  If that's successful, schools leaving for the Big 12 could make the same argument.  50/12 = 4.167M owed per team, which is painful for Washington State even in the best of times.  It becomes a lot more painful with an uncertain future, especially if more teams get out of paying for the overpayment.  50/10 = 5M, 50/8 = 6.25M, 50/6 = 8.33M, 50/4 = 12.5M.

It's really hard to kill off a conference and I thought the Pac 12 would survive by left behind teams absorbing midmajors because the Pac 12 brand is more valuable than the MWC brand, but it's possible the Pac 12 dies because of this.  The left behind teams will have to decide if the Pac 12's brand value outweighs paying off that 50M.  If not they might euthanize the Pac 12 and join the MWC or create a new conference with their favorite G5 teams.

Wow, that’s dark. If they can all just leave the PAC12 and let it, as an entity, default that would be a crazy outcome…meanwhile Colorado is still look for way to pay Coach Prime.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Your school can associate with whomever the fuck it wants to you for whatever fucking reason. 

Could we, say, associate with other South East schools with a great football reputation? Let's just say we all, for whatever reason ($$$) all just associate with each other. 16 teams in the South East all get together and agree to all play each other...

• Haha 3