Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

When has BYU or Utah sucked on our teets?

If I were to walk the metaphor back to its inception, I'd imagine it was when they were birthed from the collective womb.  Its not mine though, so I could be off here, but it does seem to be what its suggesting.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

When has BYU or Utah sucked on our teets?

That bastard Taysom Hill is in the NFL because of his performance against us!  Utah's starting running back and QB are from us.

Actually I was referring to the toothless yokels that remained.  No need to name names.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Can you imagine speaking to a person in real life like that? Louis CK had a bit on things he says in his car and then comparing it to doing it in person to someone and it’s hilarious.

Just imagine walking up to someone in public and saying “You are a fucking shit stain cum rag.” I think I would explode into laughter if some lunatic did that. 

My brother (died a couple of years ago, at 59, mainly from a lifetime of poor choices) would really do that. If he saw someone do a crappy (or selfish) job of parking their car, he would tell them, “I hope you don’t fuck like you park, or you’ll never get it in the hole!” (Although a teddy bear, he looked rough and scary, and wouldn’t get blowback)

If someone rudely put themselves in a walkway, making others walk around, he’d say, “You make a hell of a door, but you’re not shit for a window!”

God, I miss him. 

Edited by statsman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

That bastard Taysom Hill is in the NFL because of his performance against us!  Utah's starting running back and QB are from us.

Actually I was referring to the toothless yokels that remained.  No need to name names.

I'm only missing one tooth.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

hockey, bar fight, or poor hygiene?

Oh, it's far more Iowan than any of those options.

Large rim + tire for a 4WD tractor tipped over on me while I was washing it as a kid (10-11 years old).  Drove me face first into the concrete.  I'm sure the closeto's are upset that the tire didn't finish that job that day, but all my exposure to herbicides will catch up with me soon enough.

I had a fake on a flipper for years (and on my braces when that was happening).  When I was 17, I drunkenly dropped it on a counter while brushing my teeth before heading out with some buddies to a street dance.  Rather than go out with a gap in the front of my face, I found a tooth-toned brand of gum, shaped it into place and stuck it on the flipper.  I lost my virginity that evening, to a gal who had been a complete stranger prior to the day's events.  Had a permanent false installed when I was 20 and it's doing just fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, bullet said:

Their attendance is nothing special.  They are in the bottom 3rd of the P5.  They do beat Cal, Stanford, Oregon St. and Washington St. in attendance pretty consistently.

Yeah, the Utes are really similar to K-State (~51K avg.) from an attendance standpoint.  They are growing, though, and SLC is a pretty good market without an NFL team.  Their program is probably not at its ceiling yet. 

My impression of Utah is that their fans/admins have a higher opinion of themselves than is merited.  From the Big 12 side of things, maybe you want them to take a walk in the desert for a few years so that they can come back to the table later in a better frame of mind.  Back in 2011, nearly all of the insiders from the Big 12 said the same type of things about BYU.  Allegedly BYU was so difficult to work with that the conference changed directions and looked at WVU.  BYU is a lot more "happy to be here" now.  

But if you get a chance to take them now, you probably do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Large rim + tire for a 4WD tractor tipped over on me while I was washing it as a kid (10-11 years old).  Drove me face first into the concrete.  I'm sure the closeto's are upset that the tire didn't finish that job that day, but all my exposure to herbicides will catch up with me soon enough.

I had a fake on a flipper for years (and on my braces when that was happening).  When I was 17, I drunkenly dropped it on a counter while brushing my teeth before heading out with some buddies to a street dance.  Rather than go out with a gap in the front of my face, I found a tooth-toned brand of gum, shaped it into place and stuck it on the flipper.  I lost my virginity that evening, to a gal who had been a complete stranger prior to the day's events.  Had a permanent false installed when I was 20 and it's doing just fine.

Beaten Up GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

11 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Allegedly BYU was so difficult to work with that the conference changed directions and looked at WVU.  BYU is a lot more "happy to be here" now.  

I thought the limiting factor was always that BYU refuses to play on Sundays and no one wanted to accommodate that.

Who gave in here, BYU or the Big12?

2 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

I thought the limiting factor was always that BYU refuses to play on Sundays and no one wanted to accommodate that.

The "BYU is difficult to work with" is such BS. The only limitation is the no Sunday play, which is admittedly non-negotiable and perhaps that's what some people mean, but we are a team player and are willing to work together in every way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Can you imagine speaking to a person in real life like that? Louis CK had a bit on things he says in his car and then comparing it to doing it in person to someone and it’s hilarious.

Just imagine walking up to someone in public and saying “You are a fucking shit stain cum rag.” I think I would explode into laughter if some lunatic did that. 

Phyllis and/or Tammy maybe ?  I could see them lighting someone up in an elevator.  They seemed to not care what anyone thought.

RIP ladies- they're probably up in Heaven arguing Bama vs Auburn on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Approve Pedro Pascal GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

SWCFROG

2 hours ago, gatormarc said:

It was always implied that BYU overplayed its negotiation hand with the Big 12 and it's hard to believe that the Sunday thing was a dealbreaker by itself because it's a pretty easy workaround.  Maybe somebody with a better memory of that than me can say what happened.  Either way, everything was a lot smoother between both sides a decade later.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

• You see a guy with one leg, he's got a story. "Land mine '69." You see a guy with one arm, he's got a story, too. "Snow blower, bottle of whiskey." You see a guy with one tooth, what would the story be? "Well, uh, I like a lot of taffy."

https://www.buffzone.com/2023/05/26/ad-rick-george-cu-buffs-will-do-whats-right-for-colorado-in-conference-realignment/

“You’ve got to believe about a third of what you see out there,” George told BuffZone. “We’re members of the Pac-12, we’re proud members of the Pac-12 and we’ve got to see where our media rights deal lands and where our conference goes. In a perfect world, we’d love to be in the Pac-12, but we also have to do what’s right for Colorado at the end of the day. We’ll evaluate things as we move forward.”

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

It was always implied that BYU overplayed its negotiation hand with the Big 12 and it's hard to believe that the Sunday thing was a dealbreaker by itself because it's a pretty easy workaround.  Maybe somebody with a better memory of that than me can say what happened.  Either way, everything was a lot smoother between both sides a decade later.  

I think that's hearsay. I've never seen more than rumor/conjecture on this during the fog of realignment war. The only other thing I can think of where we may have asked for some unique handling is BYUtv.  But if anything, I would think that BYUtv would be an asset. In the WCC, we broadcast mens and womens tournament games that otherwise would not have been broadcast. I'm sure we offered it up as something that could serve the conference, when needed. 

Having spent time in Connecticut, I cannot imagine a more stupid decision by the Big 12 than to take UConn. The football is a total negative that offsets the short-term success of basketball. It's isolated in a region with little interest in college football, hundreds of miles even from West Virginia, and with no resources to build a good program. Not even AAC schools could summon the interest or motivation to play well here, so it's not even a guarantee of a free win. I would laugh really hard at the remaining Big 12 schools if they take UConn. There would be no spinning that. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CU's tone hasn't changed at all. Nobody at CU was saying They'd be leaving soon, it was all echo chamber podcasters who have absolutely nothing to lose by creating click bate. All PACX schools would prefer that they get a deal that is good for them. I do think the Kliavkoff is running out of time. If the PACX wants to ad SDSU they have to do it by the end of June because their exit fee increases.

1 hour ago, CustersDoctor said:

CU's tone hasn't changed at all. Nobody at CU was saying They'd be leaving soon, it was all echo chamber podcasters who have absolutely nothing to lose by creating click bate. All PACX schools would prefer that they get a deal that is good for them. I do think the Kliavkoff is running out of time. If the PACX wants to ad SDSU they have to do it by the end of June because their exit fee increases.

It’s a big change of tone.  They completely shot down changing leagues a couple months ago.  This leaves way more wiggle room 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2023 at 5:46 PM, FartingDreamer said:

They're not just delusional and arrogant, they are toxic.  Their whole identity is Pac 12 membership and hating on BYU and a religion affiliated with BYU through which they use rooting for UU football as a medium.  They are simply negative and toxic to the core.

of course they are toxic to you

as we are to aggy

in the exact same way

i'm not surprised you failed to note that briggy founded the university of deseret in 1850, making UU the oldest state flagship west of missouri, 11 years older than UW

On 5/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, FartingDreamer said:

They lose most of their recruiting advantages joining the Big XII and get relegated back to square one to a degree with having BYU in the same conference.  Their whole identity is being in a P5 conference and rubbing BYU's nose in it.  Now that that is no longer the case and even at risk of being turned on its head, they are in the denial and bargaining stage and it is entertaining to say the least. 

just like aggy, rent free

On 5/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, thunderlounge said:

No, you little trolling fuckface. You started the shit. So if you can't take it, don't try to dish it.So shut the fuck up, and know your place before you find your magic drawers pulled up over your fucking little head.

the brethren are currently enchubbened by the church's release of their volume 2 whitewash of the mountain meadows job, FIFTEEN YEARS after volume 1 in 2008

11 hours ago, Crockett said:

The "BYU is difficult to work with" is such BS. The only limitation is the no Sunday play, which is admittedly non-negotiable and perhaps that's what some people mean, but we are a team player and are willing to work together in every way. 

https://issuu.com/utah10/docs/uhq_volume81_2013_number3/s/10418366

16 hours ago, Sal said:

Having spent time in Connecticut, I cannot imagine a more stupid decision by the Big 12 than to take UConn. The football is a total negative that offsets the short-term success of basketball. It's isolated in a region with little interest in college football, hundreds of miles even from West Virginia, and with no resources to build a good program. Not even AAC schools could summon the interest or motivation to play well here, so it's not even a guarantee of a free win. I would laugh really hard at the remaining Big 12 schools if they take UConn. There would be no spinning that. 

They are being considered for basketball only like Gonzaga.

6 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

USF is a private school.  UCSF is part of the Cal system.

i stand corrected

i thought they were the same school

and surprised at these rankings

might as well post 'em

it will be a good exercise in aggy echochamber wave length

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

(narrator: they spend more than the sips by a lot)

I didn't realize BYU has been an independent since 2011. If anything the new Big 12 will be interesting to see how BYU plays with others. 

Off the top of my head, baseball is the only major sport played regularly on Sunday. I assume the conference will have to use a double header for every single BYU series? 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I didn't realize BYU has been an independent since 2011. If anything the new Big 12 will be interesting to see how BYU plays with others. 

Off the top of my head, baseball is the only major sport played regularly on Sunday. I assume the conference will have to use a double header for every single BYU series? 

I'd guess BYU baseball will be scheduled Th-Sat during conference play.  That won't be a big deal, other than possibly interfering with the ability to schedule a midweek game.  

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

They are being considered for basketball only like Gonzaga.

I can't imagine UConn coming for hoops only.  They're already in a really strong basketball conference, where they have history, and much better travel.  The only carrot the big 12 has that might lure them in is football membership.  

50 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

I can't imagine UConn coming for hoops only.  They're already in a really strong basketball conference, where they have history, and much better travel.  The only carrot the big 12 has that might lure them in is football membership.  

I cannot imagine UConn wanting to leave the Big East.   I also cannot imagine the Big 12 wanting UConn Football.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i stand corrected

i thought they were the same school

and surprised at these rankings

might as well post 'em

it will be a good exercise in aggy echochamber wave length

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/site?method=rankingBySource&ds=herd

(narrator: they spend more than the sips by a lot)

UC-San Francisco is basically just a medical school, much like UTMB, UT-Southwestern and the medical schools in Houston and San Antonio.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 12:20 PM, 'stache said:

Lol, wtf is happening here?

One of my favorite comedies!  First saw Orgazmo after I returned home from my mission.  I was at BYU the year South Park came out with the Joseph Smith and LDS family episode and about pissed my pants I was laughing so hard, while many of the prudes on campus were all butthurt about it.  Trey Parker grew up around Mormons (LDS) and even dated an LDS in high school, so I find his parodying of Mormons and culture kind of complimentary actually and don't take offense to it.  I'm a big fan of his.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2023-05-26/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-power-conference-relignment-pac-12-big-12-mountain-west-june-30-deadline

SDSU worried they won't get their invite in time.

“"...I’m really confident about our future in a Power 5 conference,” de la Torre said last week, speaking with the Union-Tribune at the announcement for an MLS expansion team at Snapdragon Stadium beginning in 2025. “I’m also confident that, when we talk about the Pac-12, they need to get the best deal possible for us to get the pro rata share we deserve.

“So I’m patient. I’m one of these very patient leaders. There are a lot of people who want to rush. I have a good relationship with a number of the presidents in the Pac-12. I know we’re the No. 1 (expansion candidate), that they believe in us, that they see their future with us. I’m optimistic. But there’s never a straight line to success....”

New York Post sports media columnist Andrew Marchand said earlier this week that ESPN “has had no substantive talks with the Pac-12 in a while,” which leaves lesser networks (CW, Ion) or streaming-only services (Amazon Prime, Apple TV) that would put games behind a paywall.

The Pac-12 board issued a statement denying its imminent demise, saying its members had have “positive conversations with multiple potential media rights partners over the past weeks” and “look forward to consummating successful media rights deal(s) in the very near future.”

That was Feb. 13.

Is de la Torre worried the Pac-12 might by a Pac-4 by the time they get there?..."

On 5/27/2023 at 3:18 PM, bullet said:

Is de la Torre worried the Pac-12 might by a Pac-4 by the time they get there?..."

It says something, I think, that this was published by a San Diego media outlet.  But unless or until the Utah media guys start dialing the pro-PAC rhetoric back, I'll believe there is a chance SDSU gets a Big 12 invite before the Utes do.  Local media and university leaders at Colorado and the Arizona schools have at least hedged somewhat.  The stuff I've seen publicly from the Utah people sounds like they want to go down with the ship.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1