Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

14 hours ago, F250 said:

Colorado is preferable but Utah would be a realistic school to poach along with the Arizona schools. I doubt Colorado would come back.

If you have to get a school in Utah, might as well get BYU, they'll bring alot more to the table including a size able presence in all of the western states and nationally.  And broadcasting capabilities to help lower the cost and hassle of a conference network.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

16 team conferences.  Gross.

Even 14 is way too many.  12 was too many but workable.  10 is ideal.

But, money-grab, so...

Realize it will never happen, but my magic wand would go back to P6 of 10 or 12 each. That effectively creates a playoff ... if each 12-team league had a championship game among two divisions, that is first round of 16. Then the six champions plus two wild cards play the quarter-finals at the home of the higher seed. Then you roll into status quo. First round should be this weekend then status quo schedule.

• Like 1

I'd want the AZ schools with the current BIG 12 members.. if there is some sort of merger, Screw both SEC and BIG conferences.  TX/ou make a deal with USC/UCLA to start a new conference, where they both hand select who to bring from the current pac and b12 conferences. No to Oregon st, utah, washington st, kansas st, bu, tcu , Iowa st.  Don't know the California politics but I'd say no to Cal as well.  

7 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Big-Ten-targeting-Oklahoma-Sooners-Texas-Longhorns-125965141/

From Okie 247 so take it FWIW.  The B10 would be preferable to me.   

This is probably just nonsense but I like thinking about it nevertheless. 

The Big 10 Academic Alliance has $10 BILLION in grant funding for research. The money distributed to each institution on  an annual basis far exceeds any television conference revenue. Libraries are shared. You can attend another Big 10 university for one year of grad school and only pay the in-state fees. Access to other universities' professors.

If this becomes a possibility, we better damn sure take a good, long hard look at this and if we turn it down because we want our 'foosball team" to play more attractive teams... that makes us no better than aggy.

There's a lot more at play here fellas.

50 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

DthS6dRXcAAJ3ZJ.jpg:large

Especially if the media is talking about this, 5 or 6 years beforehand, what changed..?
The fact B1G missed the 2018 & 2019 CFP invites, or the fact the last 2 B1G teams invited were blanked MSU/0-38 (2016), tOSU/0-31 (2017)...

Edited by kopp0e
  • Like 1

Nothing has changed but to continue chasing money.  PAC 12 is struggling because of their fearless leader, Big 10 is watered down, even more than before. SEC despite media pushing them for the past decade is also hurting with having so many schools. It's crazy to think that aggy hasn't played GA yet, mizzu is in the east division instead of west.

Looking back on all this, maybe in a weird upside down alternate universe FUCB was right about having the power 5 negotiate a huge deal.  Then they can finally make divisions (or conferences) that actually make geographical sense.  I don't understand the whole AAU thing and research dollars, but we are talking athletics here.  Why doesn't AAU schools get the same amount of research funding regardless if it's in Austin, Ann Arbor or in the Silicon Valley?

Edited by Thiefery
because..FUCB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Looking back on all this, maybe in a weird upside down alternate universe FUCB was right about having the power 5 negotiate a huge deal.  Then they can finally make divisions (or conferences) that actually make geographical sense.  I don't understand the whole AAU thing and research dollars, but we are talking athletics here.  Why doesn't AAU schools get the same amount of research funding regardless if it's in Austin, Ann Arbor or in the Silicon Valley?

It is not so much the AAU designation (60 universities in US and 2 in Canada), it is the collaboration available through the Big Ten Academic Alliance that should get a good, long look down in Austin. With $10 BILLION in research funding every year, each university in essence has access to $720 million in research funding each year. (Assuming it is spread evenly, which I believe is not, but is damned close). The shared programs, libraries, research projects are going to be a huge draw.

It is certainly one thing to talk about road trips to the West Coast a few times a year, or how we would have to play Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, etc. (Yawn) if in the Big 10 ... but the academicians in Austin are going to be pushing hard for the Big 10.

Video on Big 10 Academic Alliance

16 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

The Big 10 Academic Alliance has $10 BILLION in grant funding for research. The money distributed to each institution on  an annual basis far exceeds any television conference revenue. Libraries are shared. You can attend another Big 10 university for one year of grad school and only pay the in-state fees. Access to other universities' professors.

If this becomes a possibility, we better damn sure take a good, long hard look at this and if we turn it down because we want our 'foosball team" to play more attractive teams... that makes us no better than aggy.

This is the football board.

The egghead board is that way ---->

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Nothing has changed but to continue chasing money.  PAC 12 is struggling because of their fearless leader, Big 10 is watered down, even more than before. SEC despite media pushing them for the past decade is also hurting with having so many schools. It's crazy to think that aggy hasn't played GA yet, mizzu is in the east division instead of west.

The AAU doesn’t get money.  It’s an organization that shares money.  Let’s say Texas gets a big grant for studying immunology as a cancer treatment.  Texas uses its facilities and researchers to plan and develop and decide that they need to utilize a piece of equipment that they don’t have (and don’t have enough grant money to buy) then they reach out to the AAU and ask for assistance and share some grant money with UCLA and their faculty to use that equipment.  They do the same thing if they need a molecular science department (which they may not have) or if they need to conduct double blind experiments.

Now athletics and academics are odd bedfellows, but when you consider how many times the administration including presidents in conferences meet with each other over athletic events vs general academic events it’s obvious that the networking and familiarity of a university’s athletic conference is a significant factor in future realignment.

Not without notice, on a night that a Texas born athlete wins Heisman in back-to-back years, noted 2 top recruits decommitting from the B1G, to stay in SEC/ACC region:

Within 1 hour, it's reported B1G schools Michigan & Penn State lost recruits living south of the Mason-Dixon line (1 from Oklahoma)...

Which shows why keeping a "regional rivalries" with common league foes vs OU as imperative, instantly making recruits of the south pay attention...
That may (or may not) be the case, if Oklahoma separates itself into a midwest conference with only 2 out of 15 (potential mates), to identify the OU brand...

The XII has stood as a peer of the B1G & SEC in collegiate football:

DqSgOKtWwAAkeE8.jpg:large

XII has displayed the talents of the offensive AP player of the year & Heisman trophy winner...

Oklahoma is shining as a premier blueblood, while remaining southwestern in it's rivalry affiliation..!

9 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

It is not so much the AAU designation (60 universities in US and 2 in Canada), it is the collaboration available through the Big Ten Academic Alliance that should get a good, long look down in Austin. With $10 BILLION in research funding every year, each university in essence has access to $720 million in research funding each year. (Assuming it is spread evenly, which I believe is not, but is damned close). The shared programs, libraries, research projects are going to be a huge draw.

It is certainly one thing to talk about road trips to the West Coast a few times a year, or how we would have to play Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, etc. (Yawn) if in the Big 10 ... but the academicians in Austin are going to be pushing hard for the Big 10.

Go to the website.  The 10 billion isn't what you're making out to be.

The academic alliance looks like a great idea but the$$ your talking about is just the total those institutions spend on their own.

**moved from coaching thread for ISU guy because it's more appropriate here  

I say B12 is dying because it's basically OU and hopefully us rising back up to prominence.  There's not another team that would reasonably get the benefit of the doubt in a 4 team playoff. Being the round robin conference (with a CCG) guarantees you can never have more than 1 team in the playoffs.  Under the right circumstances every other conference has scenarios where they get more than 1 team in.  We have 2 teams who have sniffed a title in recent memory, least amongst power 5s

Yes, SEC has the benefit that most teams win the conference and they are in, maybe 2. Recency bias with LSU, UF, AU, and of course Bama, plus fringe teams.  

B10 has tOSU, UM, and NU blue bloods plus PSU, MSU and whisky that could make playoffs with a good season and winning conference.  tOSU got bumped because of urban fatigue and OU has the same pedigree. 

ACC has recent perennial Clemson and usual suspects in FSU, Miami, VT.  They might be the weakest conference outside the top but are playing the 8 conference shell game and haven't missed the playoffs yet.

then the PAC.  They are dying their own sort of death because USC, Oregon and Stanford can't get their shit together. But they do have UW who has made a few runs. They were the outlier as the P10 with a round robin and figured out they were at a disadvantage and expanded. 

• Like 2

This shit is honestly wearing so fucking thin. 

Either make the B12 relevant or go independent. I don't understand why Texas thinks they need to be some other conference's bitch. This is Texas football. Notre Dame is the 3 seed in the playoff as an independent. Texas is just as capable of that.

Fuck the B12, fuck the SEC, schedule a bad-ass 12 game slate every year, keep OU on the schedule, and pump in the recruits and handle business.

Are you allowed to schedule 13 as an independent to make up for the CCG? If so - do it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This shit is honestly wearing so fucking thin. 

Either make the B12 relevant or go independent. I don't understand why Texas thinks they need to be some other conference's bitch. This is Texas football. Notre Dame is the 3 seed in the playoff as an independent. Texas is just as capable of that.

Fuck the B12, fuck the SEC, schedule a bad-ass 12 game slate every year, keep OU on the schedule, and pump in the recruits and handle business.

Are you allowed to schedule 13 as an independent to make up for the CCG? If so - do it. 

I agree with you completely, but being an old I like the thought of regional games that I can ride with tailgate cocktails or puddle jump. We are in the SW center of the hotbed of football.  

UT, OU, LSU, pig, OSU, TCU, Tech, aggy.  That's 8, pick 4 more and make a conference out of it, all for the sake of good matchups within a reasonable distance for travel, every other weekend. Don't want to go to the west coast or Great Lakes to see live games regularly. 

Aggy leaving to the SEC killed any chance of the Big12 being consistently relevant. The Big12 had a monopoly on the state of Texas. Schools like Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU and even OU struggle recruiting the Southwest Region because it’s saturated with SEC influence. The only way to combat it is to raise the profile of the conference, which is nearly impossible at this point. We were in recruiting battles with numerous SEC schools for a majority of our In State recruits this class, that wasn’t normal Pre 2012. The middle of the conference has to improve and they don’t have the horses to do it.

Edited by CastHorn

52 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

**moved from coaching thread for ISU guy because it's more appropriate here  

I say B12 is dying because it's basically OU and hopefully us rising back up to prominence.  There's not another team that would reasonably get the benefit of the doubt in a 4 team playoff. Being the round robin conference (with a CCG) guarantees you can never have more than 1 team in the playoffs.  Under the right circumstances every other conference has scenarios where they get more than 1 team in.  We have 2 teams who have sniffed a title in recent memory, least amongst power 5s

Yes, SEC has the benefit that most teams win the conference and they are in, maybe 2. Recency bias with LSU, UF, AU, and of course Bama, plus fringe teams.  

B10 has tOSU, UM, and NU blue bloods plus PSU, MSU and whisky that could make playoffs with a good season and winning conference.  tOSU got bumped because of urban fatigue and OU has the same pedigree. 

ACC has recent perennial Clemson and usual suspects in FSU, Miami, VT.  They might be the weakest conference outside the top but are playing the 8 conference shell game and haven't missed the playoffs yet.

then the PAC.  They are dying their own sort of death because USC, Oregon and Stanford can't get their shit together. But they do have UW who has made a few runs. They were the outlier as the P10 with a round robin and figured out they were at a disadvantage and expanded. 

Bingo...and here’s the rub.  The BigTen and SEC are the club and the other conferences are just along for the ride.  Sure there are some individual schools that matter like Texas, Oklahoma, and USC but the conferences as a whole aren’t anything special.

The ACC is honestly the next conference in the best position because even if they get raided for their best teams by the B10/SEC (Miami, FSU, Clemson, UNC, VT) they still have a solid base of respectable core of schools and can reload with some realistic options (UCF, USF, West Virginia, Cincy, Temple, and UConn.  Sure they’d only be a shell of what they are now, but they’d still be in the Power conference club.

Meanwhile to the West, the Big12 had to take a school that had no connection to our conference as that is over 1000 miles away from the rest of the league to simply stay at 10.  And the PAC12 isn’t much better, because if they can’t poach the Big12 their best options are BYU/Boise St (never going to happen) or random small state schools like Nevada or UNM.

This is why the best option is obviously for Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA to simply start a new conference with only the best parts from both.  Get the top 12 and only play 8 conference games and encourage intra/interstate OOC rivalries which seem to get a pass nationally if you keep it up long enough.

USC, UCLA  Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington (possible OOC rivals ND, UNLV, ND again, SJSU, OrSU, WSU)

Texas, TX Tech, OU, Okie St, Colorado, Arizona (possible OOC rivals Rice, UNM, Tulsa, K State, CSU, ASU)

Could also go to 16 with Kansas, TCU, Arizona State and Utah putting Colorado/Utah with the Big12 schools if going to 16 is the new 14 but honestly I’m a fan of 12.

• Like 1

That is all mind numbingly stupid.  When Texas and OU are good, the Big 12 is fine.    And UT and OU are clearly capable of being good in the current Big 12.

Its becoming abundantly clear that every league outside the SEC is that way.  The Big 10 has been left out of the playoff 2 straight years.  The Pac 12 has been left out 3.

If you continue to consolidate blue blood schools, you guarantee they lose more often, and you reduce the number of schools “at the table”.  This reduces interest In the sport, and drives down revenue.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

True.  But the b12 breaking up would be disastrous for you guys right?

It would have been in 2010-11.  I think we'd be fine now.  And by "fine" I mean part of a power league.  We're the largest school in our state, and are Top 35 in attendance for both revenue sports.  Our facilities are really good, we're an AAU school.  Realignment, to whatever extent it happens, won't be driven by theoretical TV markets like it was 10 years ago.  In an environment where a school is judged on its actual merits we clearly belong.

That said, I don't want to be part of some bastardized super conference comprised of schools we've never played based on a coast.  My interest in seeing the Big 12 remain is less based in self preservation, and more in distaste for the recent changes in college sports, and a preference to keep what’s become familiar (and quite entertaining) together.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It would have been in 2010-11.  I think we'd be fine now.  And by "fine" I mean part of a power league.  We're the largest school in our state, and are Top 35 in attendance for both revenue sports.  Our facilities are really good, we're an AAU school.  Realignment, to whatever extent it happens, won't be driven by theoretical TV markets like it was 10 years ago.  In an environment where a school is judged on its actual merits we clearly belong.

That said, I don't want to be part of some bastardized super conference comprised of schools we've never played based on a coast.  My interest in seeing the Big 12 remain is less based in self preservation, and more in distaste for the recent changes in college sports, and a preference to keep what’s become familiar (and quite entertaining) together.

So if the big 12 folds you guys will land in a power 5

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

This is why the best option is obviously for Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA to simply start a new conference with only the best parts from both.  Get the top 12 and only play 8 conference games and encourage intra/interstate OOC rivalries which seem to get a pass nationally if you keep it up long enough.

USC, UCLA  Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington (possible OOC rivals ND, UNLV, ND again, SJSU, OrSU, WSU)

Texas, TX Tech, OU, Okie St, Colorado, Arizona (possible OOC rivals Rice, UNM, Tulsa, K State, CSU, ASU)

Could also go to 16 with Kansas, TCU, Arizona State and Utah putting Colorado/Utah with the Big12 schools if going to 16 is the new 14 but honestly I’m a fan of 12.

I'd rather keep TCU over Colorado.. 

9 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

So if the big 12 folds you guys will land in a power 5

I think they do if the Pac, big 12 merged.. the left out schools could then add houston and ucf.  That would still be seen as a Power 5, no? If the Big 10 thing is for real, only OU and Texas is going (same for SEC).  TCU, TT, okie, IAst, KU, KSU plus whatever Pac has is still pretty damn good

Stewart Mandel posed bringing UCF to the big 12 in the Athletic today. If that happens, we need to get out ASAP. Texas does not benefit from having a directional Florida school on the schedule every year, regardless of how good they are. Everyone will expect us to beat them cause we’re Texas (TM).

We fit best in the Big 10 with Oklahoma. Schools like Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, PSU, etc. are much more our type than the state schools and private schools of the West Coast, both academically and culturally.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 9:47 PM, Lidig8r said:

That flugaur guy is like the WVU's dude

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Stewart Mandel posed bringing UCF to the big 12 in the Athletic today. If that happens, we need to get out ASAP. Texas does not benefit from having a directional Florida school on the schedule every year, regardless of how good they are. Everyone will expect us to beat them cause we’re Texas (TM).

We fit best in the Big 10 with Oklahoma. Schools like Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State, PSU, etc. are much more our type than the state schools and private schools of the West Coast, both academically and culturally.

We do not fit in culturally with the Big 10. That's absurd.

• Like 5

On 12/7/2018 at 8:47 PM, Lidig8r said:

Well I guess if we are going to ruin our athletics and our traditions we might as well do it for a good cause.

3 minutes ago, Caddox said:

We head to the SEC with OU. We get hospitalized for dehydration after uncontrollably jizzing all the moisture from our bodies when our schedule gets released. 

Yeah. Those 4 FCS home dates are going to be awesome. And that visit from Florida twice a century.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

You ever been to a B1G game? Huge cultural difference. Moving to the B1G would be a disaster and would hurt our recruiting immensely. 

In my opinion the correct move is to form an entire new conference with the power schools from the PAC. But it would have to be 16 to give it a regional feel. I would go with this:

WEST
Arizona St
Cal
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Utah
Washington

EAST
Arizona
Colorado
Kansas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech

Football, baseball and basketball would all be very healthy. And due to the 8 team divisions you keep things pretty regional even adding old rival Colorado. Could still schedule a Texas school and one big name OOC. 

Yes, the Big 12 is healthy now when Texas and OU are good. But is that enough for a new TV contract that is competitive with other conferences?

2025 season could look like:

North Texas

Ohio State

@Arizona 

@Washington

Oklahoma

@Okie lite

Cal

Texas Tech

@TCU

Colorado 

@Utah

Kansas

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I guess if we are going to ruin our athletics and our traditions we might as well do it for a good cause.

Yes, we have such great traditions with the likes of playing Kansas, Kansas State, Ioway State. Over 100 years of competitive balance. aggy self jizzing out the door to play cuckold to the SEC. Nebraska tucking tail and running in a cowardly fashion. Lots of tradition there.

Yes, a division headlined with Texas, ou, Nebraska, Ioway, Wisconsin would be horrible with hundreds of millions of dollars in research, grant, grad student exchange programs, professors collaborating... Sounds like that really sucks.

3 hours ago, BarkingSpider said:

What's wrong with UCF other than the name?  They already have built up a rep as a solid program, if the directional aspect is what is turning you off, how is "Central Florida" any different then say "Southern California" other than that USC is a long established blue blood?  It also never hurts to have access to Florida recruiting, either.  

UCF is having all-time success right now. Nevertheless, if 5,000 more people turned out for every one of their home games, they would still be behind Tech. And OSU. And TCU. And Baylor. Kansas (hopeless non-football school that carries its weight in hoops) would be the only team below them.

7 hours ago, BarkingSpider said:

What's wrong with UCF other than the name?  They already have built up a rep as a solid program, if the directional aspect is what is turning you off, how is "Central Florida" any different then say "Southern California" other than that USC is a long established blue blood?  It also never hurts to have access to Florida recruiting, either.  

They are not a blue blood and don’t fit our conference, nor do they do anything for our conference academically.  The Orlando market, possible recruiting ground and minor football success isn’t worth the negatives.  Adding WVU to our conference just made/makes us look pathetic to have a school 900+ miles away from our members and I don’t want to double down on this for UCF.  If we could get prime school from the ACC then sure but that’s not UCF.

I’m not going to speak for everyone here but instead of WVU I would have rather added quality academic school in a good local media market with shitty football like Rice or Tulane because even if they simply take Kansas (current) and Iowa State’s (former) place at the bottom of the conference it would at least move the current members higher in the pecking order.  Going back 10 years you see 6 of the 9 Big 12 schools (not including WVU) with conference championships and even then going back to 2007 Kansas won an Orange Bowl, Tech was in a 3 way tie for the South division in 2008, only Iowa State hadn’t had a quality football year up until recently.  We didn’t need WVU and I don’t think we should have added them but it was a sign of our worry and desperation at losing 4 members so close together that we quickly grabbed the best football school not in a power conference.

Edited by TKthunder2

42 minutes ago, BarkingSpider said:

What blue bloods are out there for the pickings that aren't already entrenched in a stable conference?    I can't think of a single one, that's a realistic possibility for the Big 12.   

That's why, if anything Big12 stays as is or UT/ou start a new conference with USC/UCLA

On 12/8/2018 at 12:43 PM, Lidig8r said:

The collaboration is basically coop purchasing and shared library services.   The Big Ten is not funneling research dollars into schools nor negotiating for them as a group.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BarkingSpider said:

What blue bloods are out there for the pickings that aren't already entrenched in a stable conference?    I can't think of a single one, that's a realistic possibility for the Big 12.   

That’s the point.  Unless we can add some blue bloods (which is unlikely) what’s the point of expanding?  With 10 members, Oklahoma has proven that they and likely Texas will get the benefit of the doubt most years with 1 loss and K State, Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU have all been in the top 6 within the last few years and all realize that they can make it if they go undefeated or get lucky in a one loss year like most lesser schools. Adding any other non blue blood is only going to water down our conference payout and do nothing to help these school reach their ultimate goals.

If any combination of schools could give the Big 12 more money then we’d consider them...but the TV networks have said that no schools outside the P5+ND will do that even when we consider the additional inventory we get: 13 games with a 9 game conference schedule (9 extra conference games and 4 extra OOC games) or 16 games with an 8 game conference schedule (3 additional conference games but up to 16 OOC games) but they’ve concluded that this is low quality inventory because (much like the current setup) the Tier 1 spots are nearly always going to belong to Texas or Oklahoma (see https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/11/14/18095134/tv-ratings-the-canary-in-the-big-12-coal-mine) on any given week regardless of who they play so at best your adding a few quality Tier 2 games which doesn’t add much to our conference slate and most of those OOC games would likely be very bad FBS or FCS teams (since the SEC has proved you can get away with it and Texas has learned the hard way that scheduling then Cal/Maryland/BYU’s of the world doesn’t get you anything win or lose I don’t think you’ll see those game get filled up with P5 opponents which means they don’t add much $$$).

Thats why the Big12 won’t be expanding and gives further evidence that some sort of realignment is inevitable, most likely with the only other conference (PAC12) that may be worse off than us.

I think it's more likely to see some kind of Big 12/Pac 12 combined media deal that allows for 8 conference games.  The extra conference game becomes a guaranteed cross-conference match up, where the blue bloods in each respective league get to guarantee games against each other, but retain their separate paths to the playoffs.  It allows for another cup cake, and it allows the blue blood to replace those lower tier conference teams (whose dominance over made you a blue blood in the first place; fucking ingrates) with a more high profile home game to keep the shit heads who care more about watching other teams than their own happy.  Texas and OU could have games against USC/UCLA rotating every year and not have to lower themselves to playing us or KU every season.

If you know an 8 team playoff is coming, it doesn't make long term sense for any blue blood in any current power league to move into another league.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

The collaboration is basically coop purchasing and shared library services.   The Big Ten is not funneling research dollars into schools nor negotiating for them as a group.

I have an attorney colleague in Chicago who works with the Alliance.

The only words in your post which are accurate appear to be, "The ... and ... The ... "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think it's more likely to see some kind of Big 12/Pac 12 combined media deal that allows for 8 conference games.  The extra conference game becomes a guaranteed cross-conference match up, where the blue bloods in each respective league get to guarantee games against each other, but retain their separate paths to the playoffs.  It allows for another cup cake, and it allows the blue blood to replace those lower tier conference teams (whose dominance over made you a blue blood in the first place; fucking ingrates) with a more high profile home game to keep the shit heads who care more about watching other teams than their own happy.  Texas and OU could have games against USC/UCLA rotating every year and not have to lower themselves to playing us or KU every season.

If you know an 8 team playoff is coming, it doesn't make long term sense for any blue blood in any current power league to move into another league.

Love this idea. All the B12/P12 matchups in week 1.  Look something like this. 

USC @ Texas       Sunday Night ABC

OU @ UCLA          Labor day Fox

WVU @ Oregon     Sat Primetime 

Stanford @ Ok St   Thurs Night

Wash St @ TT     Late night Sat

TCU @ Wash

Baylor @ Cal

ASU @ KST        Friday Night

Iowa St @ Utah

Kansas @ Colorado  

This would be talk of CFB opening weekend. 

• Like 1