Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I look forward to officially claiming all of our other football MNCs. It’s the SEC way.

No kidding.  While living in Knoxville, I'd attended at least 30 games.  Wife (TN alum) and I decided to take the boys to the spring game before moving back to Texas 4 years ago.  All of the sudden, they're claiming something like 8 MNC's on their stadium "Ring of Honor".  Even my wife was all, "WTF?".

• Like 1

Chip is reporting that that we will tell the league on Monday that we won’t be renewing the grant of rights in 2025. There are some pretty onerous financial penalties to leave before that. No doubt we’ve been working on soft landing spot for OSU  and TT so we can leave earlier and avoid that. 

11 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

I’ve never dressed up for a game, but I really feel like road tripping to Starkville as Craig James. I’m guessing there will be seven hookers hanging around the stadium port-a-potties that I can hire to finish out my costume. 

UTOUKB12

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, deech said:

I don't understand how Kurt bohls can be so bad at his job.  I mean six months to a year of these negotiations and you don't have the slightest clue until aggie leaks it.  You don't even get the off the record story in the last six months solely as a means so that you don't look like a jackass with your tweets the last two days.  Now two days later you finally get some correct information.  Congrats.  Way to cover your beat. Two days later you finally get some good info. 

Aggy, Baylor, TCU, and Tech hopes all fall on Abbott to stop this. By the time Abbott is forced to weigh in some of those four schools may have already lined up their exodus.  

I don’t know how old your are, but somewhere around age 50 you realize that many/most people in high profile and/or prestigious jobs are actually idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. Where tf they gonna go? The Big Dumpster Fire conference they have laughed at for a decade?

The ACC won't want them - they bring nothing in basketball and that's what the ACC cares about most.  The Pac 12 would fucking laugh at these inbred rubes with their empty trophy room (except WBB and meat judging) trying to join the Conference of Champions. 

They could always join the AAC and wreck shop 🤣

It doesn't matter because A&M isn't going anywhere, but the ACC would absolutely want A&M.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For those thinking some of the Big 12 can go to the Pac 12, this is what I've been saying as to why that probably doesn't happen. Pac 12 writer I follow

The more likely scenario for the Pac 12 is a merger with the Big 10. 

This also creates a solution for the B12 leftovers and a league that can at least somewhat rival the SEC in national interest - say the B10 grabs USC/Oregon/Washington/UCLA to create a Pacific division in a 20 school conference, then reaches out to ND to ask if they want to join that division, maybe the say no, but it's probably the best odds the B10 has of getting ND.  USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington know they have a revenue problem, there really isn't a good solution for them except leaving, adding the B12 leftovers makes it worse instead of better.

The leftovers of the P12/B12 can join.  While their revenue would certainly take a hit, it would be a solid/competitive league well above the AAC/CUSA/MAC.

Broke:  It would be so stupid and lame if Texas played 9pm west coast games

Woke: The B1G should play 7pm west coast games when it's 10pm for half their conference! 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

Wonder if we’ll still keep our home and home schedule with Georgia (2028/2029)

No because we're conference mates.

and Alabama (2022/2023)

Yes because we may not yet be conference mates and finding new OOC opponents that quickly might prove difficult. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Broke:  It would be so stupid and lame if Texas played 9pm west coast games

Woke: The B1G should play 9pm west coast games when it's midnight for half their conference! 

When you only have four schools in that time zone, managing that problem is a lot easier than when the entire inventory has that problem (which is the PAC's current issue).

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yep. Where tf they gonna go? The Big Dumpster Fire conference they have laughed at for a decade?

The ACC won't want them - they bring nothing in basketball and that's what the ACC cares about most.  The Pac 12 would fucking laugh at these inbred rubes with their empty trophy room (except WBB and meat judging) trying to join the Conference of Champions. 

They could always join the AAC and wreck shop 🤣

I think ACC, Big10 all would take them again to "get in to Texas" but there is no added bonus in potentially getting Texas.  SEC played this perfectly and the NIL/Supreme Court finally got Texas to admit that none of this is about getting a degree anymore and the NCAA truly is toothless.

Someone said lets just get on with it and make sure we are in the room with the other godfathers and ESPN when the decisions get made.

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Chip is reporting that that we will tell the league on Monday that we won’t be renewing the grant of rights in 2025. There are some pretty onerous financial penalties to leave before that. No doubt we’ve been working on soft landing spot for OSU  and TT so we can leave earlier and avoid that. 

Stop with this shit. No we haven’t.

Texas has been worried about Texas which is how it should be.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This guy gets it.

69D3CFA2-C5C0-4514-8557-044D9B4EB979.jpeg

someone invite him to Surly! 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With Kansas leaving, into one more school has to hop out. It’s going to happen. The Big 12’s Grant of Rights Agreement is not going to be an impediment even if the other 8 schools stay. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

For those worried about the Texas lege all Texas and OU will have to do is help convince the PAC to take on the 4 schools and maybe even throw Tech/Baylor/TCU a bone by scheduling a home and home 10 years down the road. Once this happens they will be free to dissolve the conference and send Bowlsby and his crew a nice retirement package while all involved avoid hefty buyouts. 

That will have no impact and this line of thinking is stupid and you should feel stupid for it. 

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think ACC, Big10 all would take them again to "get in to Texas" but there is no added bonus in potentially getting Texas.  SEC played this perfectly and the NIL/Supreme Court finally got Texas to admit that none of this is about getting a degree anymore and the NCAA truly is toothless.

Someone said lets just get on with it and make sure we are in the room with the other godfathers and ESPN when the decisions get made.

Which is why I think the next logical move is a merger of the Big 10 and Pac 12. The SEC is taking Texas and OU because we don't need the NCAA anymore. The only move the Big 10 has to counter the SEC is to try to get the best football schools of the Pac 12 to join for marquee matchups. The ACC won't move anywhere because ESPN controls their money. The Pac 12 does not have that issue with Fox. The Big 10 is a Fox company, down to the Big 10 Network. 

Edited by mdmost

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Saw some non-SEC fans whining about the SEC taking 'The Texas that killed off the SWC and now the B12.'  

I really wish some national media types would call that bullshit out and set the record straight about who actually “killed” the SWC and the Big 12. It sure as hell wasn’t the hated Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Getting 2 more out before the grant of rights expires is worrying about Texas though. Nothing altruistic about that shit.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Yep, I highly doubt Texas officials are spending time worrying about where the other 8 teams are going to end up or even helping them.  It's on them to find new homes - we've been taking care of them long enough in this shit ass conference. 

Either we take the financial penalties (we can afford it, we will recoup most of it later when the SEC TV deal gets jacked up for the 2 new brands they absorbed) or 2 of the other 8 schools find their spots and we're fine. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

someone invite him to Surly! 

With Kansas leaving, into one more school has to hop out. It’s going to happen. The Big 12’s Grant of Rights Agreement is not going to be an impediment even if the other 8 schools stay. 

One thing I'm not sure about: Does Kansas and the other school(s) also have to agree to leave early? In other words, Kansas may lock up a Big 10 spot but decide they want the Big 12 money until 2025. Let's say everyone else does the same. Does that help us at all? Or do we need them to also support leaving early?

Seems likely they'd want to get it over with and move early anyway, but if the Big 12 $$ is higher that may not be the case.

• Like 1

The next shoe to drop is the dissolution of the Big 12. Fox should be driving that bus as they try to bolster their B1G assets and position themselves to compete against Disney. I dont really buy that the PAC and the ACC are "making inquiries" and going over addition options. I just dont think thats how it works. The networks will advise them on who brings value and who doesnt. The have not schools are just stuck waiting with their dick in their hands hoping the networks want them included in a big boy conference. 

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Getting 2 more out before the grant of rights expires is worrying about Texas though.

Texas isn’t finding other conferences for certain remaining schools just for that purpose. If we want out of the GOR, we will find a way out. But that doesn’t mean we are trying to find other conferences for tgecrensjjjng schools. We aren’t doing their homework for them.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That’s exactly what they’re doing. It only takes 4 votes to dissolve the conference and void the grant of rights. Which means we can leave early without financial penalty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas will most definitely help get the big 12 dissolved by finding other teams in the state a home if it means not paying out 70 million 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That will have no impact and this line of thinking is stupid and you should feel stupid for it. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Texas isn’t finding other conferences for certain remaining schools just for that purpose. If we want out of the GOR, we will find a way out. But that doesn’t mean we are trying to find other conferences for tgecrensjjjng schools. We aren’t doing their homework for them.

I'm just saying we will help because it benefits us. 

• Hook 'Em 1