Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, bullet said:

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2021/11/01/western-kentucky-middle-tennessee-state-expected-join-mac/stories/20211101139

And another article saying their CUSA high water mark will get washed away:

"...Athletic directors from the MAC discussed adding the two schools during a lengthy call Monday. There was universal agreement from the 12 ADs that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State should be extended invitations. MAC presidents, which meet on Monday evening, have the ultimate say in the addition of new member institutions, though it is thought to be a formality, one source said.

The expectation is that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State would begin play in the MAC in 2023.

Their inclusion could be a death knell for Conference USA, which has already lost nine of its 14 schools in recent weeks to the American Athletic Conference and Sun Belt. Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State would become the 19th and 20th schools to change conferences since Texas and Oklahoma sparked a high stakes game of musical chairs by leaving the Big 12 for the SEC...."

Article does make the comment that finances will be the final decision point, so ESPN has to give its blessing.

So the real question is how dies a 3 team conference that was 14 members a month ago, go about dying? What does it look like and how does the “death” of CUSA happen? Do they just go quietly in their sleep? Does someone just come in and pull the plug? Is it in a blaze of glory and lawsuits, or do they attempt to cobble enough schools together to try and collect exit fees?

The mechanics of how this happens is going to be much more interesting than listening to the poor be sobs of LT and UTEP…

See new Tweets

Not going easily.  I wonder if these 4 are still interested in joining a 3 team conference instead of 5?
Sam and Jax St. just do not seem like FBS.  Good FCS, but too small for FBS and in states already crowded with teams.

pBCHVlJX_normal.png

FBS independents Liberty & New Mexico State & FCS members Jacksonville State & Sam Houston State likely joining Conference USA as all-sports members, sources told . Addition of those 4 schools will help replenish C-USA after recent losses

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

SFA spends $1.5m more per year on athletics than Sam, Sam can’t even market a national title (as asterisky as it is). Those teams can’t even sniff the jock of Houston, Cincy and UCF. Why bother?

They are NOT replacing Houston, Cincy, and UCF they are replacing UNT, Rice, UTSA, UNCC, FAU, UAB, Marshall, ODU, USM, WKU and MTSU.

If they can cobble a conference together from the WAC Texas area schools/targets and FBS independents it’ll survive but it’ll look like shit.

Remaining CUSA - UTEP, LA Tech, FIU
FBS independents - NMSU, Liberty, UConn (fb only), UMass (fb only) 

FCS - Abilene Christian, Sam Houston, SFA, Lamar, Incarnate Word, McNeese, Jacksonville St

In the process of upgrading to DI/FCS -Tarelton State
Starting FCS in a few years - UTRGV

Non Football schools soon to be looking for a home - UTA, UALR

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

They are NOT replacing Houston, Cincy, and UCF they are replacing UNT, Rice, UTSA, UNCC, FAU, UAB, Marshall, ODU, USM, WKU and MTSU.

If they can cobble a conference together from the WAC Texas area schools/targets and FBS independents it’ll survive but it’ll look like shit.

FCS - Abilene Christian, Sam Houston, SFA, Lamar, Incarnate Word, McNeese, Jacksonville St

Can't ESPN (and maybe Fox I suppose) put an end to this and say "we aren't paying for Sam Houston and fucking Incarnate Word."

It seems that the left overs can just play each other every year as FBS independents. No need to form a conference.  Let CUSA die already and don't let the fucking WAC into FBS with tiny ass stadiums and their handful of fans. They have a program called Dixie State . . . in Utah. What the actual fuck? I only know that because I'm weird an looked it up, nobody else cares.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Can't ESPN (and maybe Fox I suppose) put an end to this and say "we aren't paying for Sam Houston and fucking Incarnate Word."

It seems that the left overs can just play each other every year as FBS independents. No need to form a conference.  Let CUSA die already and don't let the fucking WAC into FBS with tiny ass stadiums and their handful of fans.

IIRC CUSA’s TV deal is something like…

Tier1: CBS (mostly CBSSN)

Tier2: Stadium (Facebook, Pluto, Twitter)

Tier3: ESPN (mostly ESPN+) unlike the P5 this tier has the most content and ESPN can buy up for select games each year if they put it on real TV (they just got the rights to UTEP/UTSA for this weekend).

and they sold their CCG to ESPN directly

It all depends on how the contracts are worded.  Many started putting in language that membership changes will prompt a re-evaluation of their deal.  Others have avoided that language because live programming right have generally increased so even if they lost their most popular teams the loss in value is unlikely to benefit the distributor and this can backfire if the conference adds a team.  Still I doubt they expected 11 of 14 teams to leave the conference.

ESPN/FOX/CBS can always refuse to bid but someone always does because cheap live content can be put right on the app and drive subscribers.  The cost per carry is still driving this business model just in a different way than before.

The only way this stops is if you see another split between the P5 teams a d the rest like they did in the 80s between FBS/FCS because as long as these schools have a chance to be the next Boise State they’ll want to try.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yeah.  Texas and Alabama are saturated in FBS.  Jax St. and Sam have real low ceilings.

But with Sam heading to CUSA with 1 year in the WAC and NMSU moving also apparently to CUSA, WAC is backfilling from Southland again:

This is just source not source(s), but McNeese has been looking around since Sam, SFA, Lamar and friends moved from SLC to WAC.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Source: Both McNeese State University and the University of Incarnate Word are departing the Southland Conference with the intention to join the WAC.

Much to my surprise, it looks like CUSA will survive after all.

https://kvia.com/sports/2021/11/02/nmsu-regents-to-meet-friday-to-consider-joining-utep-in-conference-usa/

New Mexico St. has a special regents meeting Friday to talk about changing athletic conferences.    They wouldn't be doing that if they didn't know CUSA still had UTEP, LT and FIU and that Liberty was coming, along with FCS schools-apparently Sam Houston and Jacksonville St.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Is there a map or spreadsheet for all these changes ?

See the source image

Here's the FBS moves only:

official moves        
Texas to SEC   2022,3,4,5    
Oklahoma to SEC   2022,3,4,5    
Houston to Big 12   2023 or 4    
Cincinnati to Big 12   2023 or 4    
BYU to Big 12       for 2023
UCF to Big 12   2023 or 4    
Rice to AAC   TBA    
North Texas to AAC   TBA    
UTSA to AAC   TBA    
UAB to AAC   TBA    
UNCC to AAC   TBA    
FAU to AAC   TBA    
Southern Miss to SB   2023 or earlier  
Old Dominion to SB   2023 or earlier  
Marshall to SB   2023 or earlier  

likely moves        
James Madison FCS to SB TBA    
WKU to MAC   TBA    
MTSU to MAC   TBA    
NMSU to CUSA   TBA    
Liberty to CUSA   TBA    
Sam Houston FCS to CUSA TBA    
Jacksonville St. FCS to CUSA TBA    
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bullet said:

There's a ton of stuff going on at the FCS level and in basketball leagues, but I haven't kept track of all that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_conference_changes_since_2010

McNeese/Incarnate Word (Southland) and Southern Utah (Big Sky) moving to the WAC and Chicago St leaving (going Independent), UTRGV starting FCS football.

Kennesaw St football and North Alabama football from Big South to Atlantic Sun

TAMU-Commerce from DII Lone Star to the Southland.

Austin Peay from Ohio Valley to Atlantic Sun

Belmont from Ohio Valley to Missouri Valley (Murray State may follow soon)

Hartford dropping from American East to DIII

more coming, Southland needs to expand and the fall out from the FCS>FBS upgrades

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/vp-sp-jmu-move-sun-belt-20211105-5hcptu2uefarvjcvr3rpfnkigq-story.html

JMU got approval from the Virginia legislature to move up.  Will probably be an official announcement by Sun Belt accepting them today.

Reports are that NMSU, Liberty, Sam Houston and Jacksonville St. to CUSA will be announced today as well.

And MAC presidents are meeting and WKU and MTSU to MAC may also be announced today.

So a busy day with official announcements and its not even a Tuesday.

James Madison officially announced to the Sun Belt today, again, "no later than July 1, 2023."  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017364-james-madison-accepts-invitation-to-sun-belt-conference-will-join-no-later-than-2023

Everybody is running short on time to do these moves for 2022.  Only BYU and the 4 new CUSA schools have firm dates-all 7-1-2023.  Missouri announcing on 11-6-2011 for 2012 created scheduling chaos across college football.

So while WKU and MTSU to MAC looked certain last week, now it is iffy.

MTSU board met today and AD said it would be settled this week.  MTSU is apparently getting cold feet.  WKU is not.

pBCHVlJX_normal.png

No final decision on Western Kentucky & Middle Tennessee to MAC, but sources told move depends if MTSU will go. If so, MAC will add both. If MTSU stays in C-USA, MAC likely wouldn’t invite only WKU, sources said. MTSU hang up is financially motivated, source said

Middle Tennessee leaves MAC and WKU at the alter and changes their mind and decides to stay in CUSA, also known as CDOA.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Massaro:"The addition of Liberty helps us competitively in a lot of our sports. New Mexico St. brings a lot as well, with a lot of their sports. When you weigh that with a real stern commitment from all the presidents remaining to get better, that's the overriding reason."
Quote Tweet

@PeteThamel
· 1h
Massaro to @YahooSports: "When you weigh it all out, there are a lot of advantages to staying in C-USA. Our fans, they point more to the South. There was a consensus of that from our fan base."

·
1h

Massaro to : "When you weigh it all out, there are a lot of advantages to staying in C-USA. Our fans, they point more to the South. There was a consensus of that from our fan base."

·
1h

Middle Tennessee AD Chris Massaro confirms to Yahoo Sports that the school is staying in Conference USA.

Peyton Place-WKU still in limbo.  CUSA commissioner sends out a press release saying CUSA is still a great fit for MTSU.  No mention of WKU.

·
32m

Source: Western Kentucky is still open to going to the MAC. They’d always been the more committed of the two exploring options. There’s ambiguity if MAC will extend an invite to just one school. Interest by WKU to join remains strong.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:52 PM, bullet said:

Here's the FBS moves only(updated 11/10/21):

official moves        
Texas to SEC   2022,3,4,5    
Oklahoma to SEC   2022,3,4,5    
Houston to Big 12   2023 or 4    
Cincinnati to Big 12   2023 or 4    
BYU to Big 12       for 2023
UCF to Big 12   2023 or 4    
Rice to AAC   TBA    
North Texas to AAC   TBA    
UTSA to AAC   TBA    
UAB to AAC   TBA    
UNCC to AAC   TBA    
FAU to AAC   TBA    
Southern Miss to SB   2023 or earlier  
Old Dominion to SB   2023 or earlier  
Marshall to SB   2023 or earlier  

James Madison FCS to SB 2023 or earlier    

NMSU to CUSA   2023    
Liberty to CUSA   2023    
Sam Houston FCS to CUSA 2023    
Jacksonville St. FCS to CUSA

And Western Kentucky to MAC is possible, but no longer likely.

2 hours ago, bullet said:
Middle Tennessee leaves MAC and WKU at the alter and changes their mind and decides to stay in CUSA, also known as CDOA.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Massaro:"The addition of Liberty helps us competitively in a lot of our sports. New Mexico St. brings a lot as well, with a lot of their sports. When you weigh that with a real stern commitment from all the presidents remaining to get better, that's the overriding reason."
Quote Tweet

@PeteThamel
· 1h
Massaro to @YahooSports: "When you weigh it all out, there are a lot of advantages to staying in C-USA. Our fans, they point more to the South. There was a consensus of that from our fan base."

·
1h

Massaro to : "When you weigh it all out, there are a lot of advantages to staying in C-USA. Our fans, they point more to the South. There was a consensus of that from our fan base."

·
1h

Middle Tennessee AD Chris Massaro confirms to Yahoo Sports that the school is staying in Conference USA.

That MTSU strategery is idiotic.  The only reason I could see their hesitation is that they would be the only team from the deep south in the MAC.  The exit fee money angle is stupid.

Chris is with the Athletic, so his comments are as reliable as McMurphy.  And this is a direct quote from the MAC commissioner.  Guess WKU is trapped by MTSU not moving.
We now know who in FBS is moving, but only have definite dates on the 4 to CUSA and BYU, all moving in 2023.

IZ2KpKFQ_normal.jpg

MAC: "While a number of institutions have expressed interest, we never requested any institution to apply for membership nor did we have a formal or informal vote concerning any institutions. … Today’s announcement is intended to end the speculation that has been occurring."

IZ2KpKFQ_normal.jpg

MAC commish Jon Steinbrecher: "Following analysis and evaluation by the membership, it has been determined our best interests are served in the Conference remaining at 12 full member institutions."

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't get MTSU either. If they care about sports, they'll make the jump. CUSA is dead. Do they really want to play NMSU and Sam Houston? That's a death sentence.

They are banking on getting a cut of all the exit fees and playing in a more winnable conference. The inclusion of NM State and Sam isn't sexy but the FBS is an increasingly southern sport so saddling up with the CUSA makes sense enough in the short term. 

I can understand MTSU being a southern state and their culture, wanting to stay, but those travel costs to New Mexico and Texas have to hurt. Kentucky on the other hand borders three MAC states, but I guess the answer is now no. The MAC has had 12 solid schools for a long time and want to keep it. No other league is as solid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasBuckeye said:

I can understand MTSU being a southern state and their culture, wanting to stay, but those travel costs to New Mexico and Texas have to hurt. Kentucky on the other hand borders three MAC states, but I guess the answer is now no. The MAC has had 12 solid schools for a long time and want to keep it. No other league is as solid. 

I cannot find the article now, but I thought I read somewhere that it was too expensive for them to move at the moment.   I'm not sure if that was due to an agreement with the CUSA or something else.   But, I heards things!  (somewhere, maybe, could have been drunk)

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

I cannot find the article now, but I thought I read somewhere that it was too expensive for them to move at the moment.   I'm not sure if that was due to an agreement with the CUSA or something else.   But, I heards things!  (somewhere, maybe, could have been drunk)

I haven't seen an article, but I've seen other people saying MTSU was financially strapped and couldn't afford exit fees (or alternatively was counting on exit fees from the 9 CUSA members who left).

It was also about recruiting, only 3 football players on MTSU come from the MAC footprint.  Most out of state players come from the South.  Athletic and academic recruitment would not benefit from moving to a Rust Belt conference.

CUSA recovering with Liberty, Jacksonville State, and Sam Houston State means CUSA resides in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, and Virginia which is better for MTSU over Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and New York.

• Like 1

McNeese turned down the WAC. Louisiana politics seems to be involved since the Southland would have caved if they left with Incarnate Word.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/11/09/breaking-mcneese-sticks-with-southland-in-move-that-will-bring-millions-in-for-sw-la-tourism/?utm_source=site&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=recirculation

In a topic that's a little more fun than Longhorn football right now, here is a really good, frank interview with the Western Kentucky AD on the sausage making involving Conference USA and all the changes that took them from 14 members to 5 to almost 3 and then back up to 9.  His conclusion:

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/carousel-of-madness-how-wku-ended-up-staying-in-c-usa-and-whats-ahead-for/article_b527e8be-60bf-5233-adcf-17e647f9d68e.html?fbclid=IwAR3H1DOeS5ehf40K-GOnN3mXvxwFGTEv0mMd9_xMES9nGQikLK_dEjm8Pak

"...So, for now, the “carousel of madness” that started with Texas and Oklahoma making the move to the SEC has stopped spinning.

But is it over for good?

“I think it’s going to keep spinning. I really do,” Stewart said. “I just think it may not be as much, it may not involve as many teams, but I don’t think it’s done.”{&end}..."

Loyola Chicago is leaving the MVC and joining the A10

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/loyola-chicago-announces-it-is-leaving-missouri-valley-conference-to-join-atlantic-10/

MVC is looking at UTA, UMKC, and Murray St as replacements.

But the big rumor is that Temple is considering dropping the AAC and going back to the A10.  Not sure what they’d do with football but might be some alignment with the other basketball first schools like UConn and UMass.

• 2 weeks later...

At Thanksgiving dinner yesterday this is what I was told from a former WVU football captain who is still reasonably connected.

The reason the Big 12 took four teams is that they knew two more were leaving after Texas and the Land Thieves. Those two being WVU and Kansas. Kansas is going to the Fat 10 and WVU is now trying to find the $70,000,000, or so, to buy its way out of the Big 12 and gain admittance to the ACC.

Another friend of mine who played at WVU, more recently than the first guy, said that WVU was told, emphatically, about 10 years ago that their behavior will forever keep them out of the ACC.

As much as I hate them, athletically, they are a great fit for the ACC. That would immediately bring back two very good rivalries, Pitt and Virginia Tech.

I reckon nobody knows where this will all end.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

At Thanksgiving dinner yesterday this is what I was told from a former WVU football captain who is still reasonably connected.

The reason the Big 12 took four teams is that they knew two more were leaving after Texas and the Land Thieves. Those two being WVU and Kansas. Kansas is going to the Fat 10 and WVU is now trying to find the $70,000,000, or so, to buy its way out of the Big 12 and gain admittance to the ACC.

Another friend of mine who played at WVU, more recently than the first guy, said that WVU was told, emphatically, about 10 years ago that their behavior will forever keep them out of the ACC.

As much as I hate them, athletically, they are a great fit for the ACC. That would immediately bring back two very good rivalries, Pitt and Virginia Tech.

I reckon nobody knows where this will all end.

Their behavior during the Big East breakup or general behavior? Either way this reeks of fan lore. Decent football and basketball, decent state school. They would be addition by addition for the ACC.

11 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Their behavior during the Big East breakup or general behavior? Either way this reeks of fan lore. Decent football and basketball, decent state school. They would be addition by addition for the ACC.

Fan behavior. This is coming from what their AD told him. My friend has no reason to lie about his own school. I'm not opposed to them being in the ACC.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Fan behavior. This is coming from what their AD told him. My friend has no reason to lie about his own school. I'm not opposed to them being in the ACC.

Maybe. The ACC is home to reprobate institutions like Louisville, Miami, and FSU so it’s hard for me to believe they’d clutch their pearls at a bit of hillbilly hell raising. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Loyola Chicago is leaving the MVC and joining the A10

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/loyola-chicago-announces-it-is-leaving-missouri-valley-conference-to-join-atlantic-10/

MVC is looking at UTA, UMKC, and Murray St as replacements.

But the big rumor is that Temple is considering dropping the AAC and going back to the A10.  Not sure what they’d do with football but might be some alignment with the other basketball first schools like UConn and UMass.

As long a Memphis is in the AAC, they are ahead.  Do they really want to go back to playing in the high school gyms that half the A10 has?  Or gyms that would make an Indiana HS blush?  A10 has been in decline.  There is a lot bigger gap between the P6 and them than there used to be and they are behind MWC and, for now, AAC.

I've thought the AAC ought to pick up St. Louis and Dayton, two of the stronger, better supported A10 schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

As long a Memphis is in the AAC, they are ahead.  Do they really want to go back to playing in the high school gyms that half the A10 has?  Or gyms that would make an Indiana HS blush?  A10 has been in decline.  There is a lot bigger gap between the P6 and them than there used to be and they are behind MWC and, for now, AAC.

I've thought the AAC ought to pick up St. Louis and Dayton, two of the stronger, better supported A10 schools.

They are thinking Memphis is about the join the Big 12 and now they only have 2 ‘Northern’ schools in the conference in Navy football and Wichita State basketball.

They joined a national best of the rest conference and its turned into a Southern league where they stick out like a soar thumb.

They could join the A10 with Wichita State and then play Indy football with a group of the NE independents.

Temple, UConn, UMass, Army and maybe Buffalo or Navy or a call up like UDel and make 6 team ‘conference’.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Like 1