Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

B1G is going to use the Big 10 Network (BTN) to make some of these teams work for now. Add a $1.50 to $2.00 per TV set within the region of the teams added to the conference. SEC/B1G will separate from the NCAA (and possibly join into one league down the road) and the B1G is going to try and make their BTN a college sports version of ESPN. It's why the they own a piece of their network. They will eventually have enough content throughout the country that they can command $3 to $4 for every TV set nationwide. It's why I've stated footprint still matters.

This is a race, a generation in the making, to eliminate the complete deadweight at the bottom of the P5 Conferences and consolidate assets to create more leverage.

image.thumb.jpeg.542f7ed9f752589791be863e12f50fe2.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Jasper_Jester said:

If the Big12 were to merge with the Pac12 (as opposed to adding a few members), that seems like the sorta thing that could release Texas from their anchor to this clownshow conference.

And an even more idiotic idea emerges!  There's a very real possibility that we might have all three of our historic rivals on the schedule every season, while at the same time playing in the conference that ESPN has brainwashed America's youth into believing is the best football conference in the history of the universe.  Quit looking for ways to fuck that up.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Fuck. That.  Christ!  It's like some of you spend your free time examining all available opportunities to fuck up a very good thing.

It’s not necessarily what I want but you have to recognize that fox and the b1g just went national and are going to look to add brands that they can sell nationally - like the domers, usc, and Texas.  In the pay for play era you also want alumni with deep pockets that will crank out quality year after year - like the domers, usc, and Texas.  

Unregulated semi pro ball just took away the one dirty advantage the sec has capitalized on.   Saban sees it and will be punching out soon.  The poors in the sec simply won’t be able to keep up save for a few.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I still think the SEC is a better conference than the Big Ten, but they certainly closed some the gap. 

SEC Blue Bloods: 

Texas 

OU

Bama

SEC recent national champions, other than Bama

LSU

Florida

Auburn

Tennessee 

Georgia

Big Ten Blue Bloods

Ohio State 

Michigan 

Penn State 

USC

Nebraska

Big Ten recent national champions other than Ohio State

Haha

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

It’s not necessarily what I want but you have to recognize that fox and the b1g just went national and are going to look to add brands that they can sell nationally

I'm sure they'll look.  If we were to actually agree to it and change plans, we'd deserve exactly what we get.  ESPN is just better at this than Fox.

Edited by TriStone

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I still think the SEC is a better conference than the Big Ten, but they certainly closed some the gap. 

SEC Blue Bloods: 

Texas 

OU

Bama

SEC recent national champions, other than Bama

LSU

Florida

Auburn

Tennessee 

Georgia

Big Ten Blue Bloods

Ohio State 

Michigan 

Penn State 

USC

Nebraska

Big Ten recent national champions other than Ohio State

Haha

I don’t think any high school recruit would rate Nebraska over Auburn.   Blue blood status still matters but imo getting to the next level is the most important thing.  

watch the draft

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Riley correctly recognized he had hit his ceiling at OU and bounced. 

I’m sure he wanted no part of the Texas-Aggy recruiting death match in Texas. 

Yep.  That and playing Bama, LSU, uga, etc didn’t seem palatable.  Ou basically outrecruited everyone in the big 12.  Chances he does that against the sec schools?

16 minutes ago, Okie State said:

When do Nebraska and Tennessee lose their Blueblood status? Never?

Most don’t consider Tennessee a blueblood.

Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, and Nebraska.  Nebraska is falling out.

Texas, despite our horrible decade, is still a top job and a top choice for recruits.  As are the rest of the bluebloods save Nebraska.  If we have another decade like the last one then we’ll likely fall down/off the list.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Probably gonna have to fall considerably off this list...in all three cases

All Time Wins

1.Michigan976

2.Alabama942

3.Ohio State942

4.Notre Dame929

5.Oklahoma928

6.Texas928

7.Penn State909

8.Nebraska908

9.Tennessee856

10.USC856

Fuuuuuck. I remember when we were #2 on that list. And just realized we were #3 until last season and let Domers and OU pass us with that craptastic season. That stings a little. But most of all, it just became real that our new home won't do us any favors to stay up on this list. We are entering the era of NFL-like W&Ls instead of regular 10+ wins when we are doing it right. 

Stop bitching about long standing members of the SEC. We're going to need those games. And for the last decade, we've shown we were one of those games until we prove otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TriStone said:

Fuck. That.  Christ!  It's like some of you spend your free time examining all available opportunities to fuck up a very good thing.

You may not like it personally but culturally and $$$ for Texas is way better in the B1G and I’m not talking about football money which is peanuts. 

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You may not like it personally but culturally and $$$ for Texas is way better in the B1G and I’m not talking about football money which is peanuts. 

I think the University of Texas, with an endowment second only to Harvard, will be just fine financially in any conference. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Most don’t consider Tennessee a blueblood.

Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, and Nebraska.  Nebraska is falling out.

Texas, despite our horrible decade, is still a top job and a top choice for recruits.  As are the rest of the bluebloods save Nebraska.  If we have another decade like the last one then we’ll likely fall down/off the list.

Correct. Some thoughts on the future of the Bluebloods.

I know that's the list everyone goes with but... Nebraska is on very thin ice.

They can't recruit.

They have a small overall fanbase.

I'm not sure they deserve to be on the list. It's not just current wins and losses. The game has completely changed and they can't keep up. Maybe things change in the new landscape of NIL/consolidation. I guess we can holdoff and see the new landscape before removing them.

Candidates:

Like it or not, Penn State could at least make an argument. They aren't elite right now, but they can still recruit and have one of the 5 largest fanbases in America. They have two national titles and are top ten in overall wins. You would like to see another title or two, but they have a bunch of unclaimed titles. Many of these teams claim those titles and so you have to dig to find the true measuring stick. They have played in important games and just missed on several other national titles. Like them or hate them, they could make an argument. They will win titles again with the right coach.

There's probably going to come a time when LSU and Georgia will need to be considered. Strong resumes but need to keep climbing the overall wins list.

Tennessee is also very close. If they had PSU's fanbase and recruiting territory, there would be an argument. They will always be a streaky program because of their location and recruiting territory. When they are on a run, they can dominate. I do think their disadvantages may keep them always on the outside looking in.

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Is there a real chance Colorado ends up back with us? What a weird ride they went on if so.

I think it's almost likely at this point.

https://regents.cu.edu/events/2022/07/05/special-board-meeting-executive-session-only

ISU insiders seem all but certain that the Arizona schools, CU, and Utah will be joining the Big 12 this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think it's almost likely at this point.

https://regents.cu.edu/events/2022/07/05/special-board-meeting-executive-session-only

ISU insiders seem all but certain that the Arizona schools, CU, and Utah will be joining the Big 12 this week.

Makes sense.  The Oregon/Washington schools are working their own stuff out as are Cal/Stanford.  It's over for the PAC.  USC killed it.  Actually Larry Scott did when he missed on Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Makes sense.  The Oregon/Washington schools are working their own stuff out as are Cal/Stanford.  It's over for the PAC.  USC killed it.  Actually Larry Scott did when he missed on Texas.

Yup.  I think Oregon and Washington want the Big 10, but are waiting to see what will happen there.  I think Cal and Stanford are bowing out of major collegiate athletics altogether, which kind of makes sense.  They have really apathetic fanbases.

I don't know what happens with Wazzu and Oregon State.  They're where we were at multiple times in the past.  They have tiny fanbases, small stadiums, and could easily be left out as a result.  I would enjoy seeing them end up in the Big 12, but could see them kind of moving on from major college sports too.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  I think Oregon and Washington want the Big 10, but are waiting to see what will happen there.  I think Cal and Stanford are bowing out of major collegiate athletics altogether, which kind of makes sense.  They have really apathetic fanbases.

I don't know what happens with Wazzu and Oregon State.  They're where we were at multiple times in the past.  They have tiny fanbases, small stadiums, and could easily be left out as a result.  I would enjoy seeing them end up in the Big 12, but could see them kind of moving on from major college sports too.

Mountain West is salivating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know what happens with Wazzu and Oregon State.  They're where we were at multiple times in the past.  They have tiny fanbases, small stadiums, and could easily be left out as a result.  I would enjoy seeing them end up in the Big 12, but could see them kind of moving on from major college sports toThings

THings change, lots of misinformation out there but from what I've read, Oregon isn't wanted by the B1G or USC.  IDK.

WSU and OSU, to me, are equivalent to a Vanderbilt, MSU, Purdue, etc.  Only difference is the SEC and B1G protect their little brothers.  

I've been super bullish on expansion for the last ten years but now I kind of wish we could head back to 1996.  I think conferences should be regional. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Mountain West is salivating. 

I wonder if the Pac 10/12 name carries enough weight/history that even with only 2-4 schools left, it would make sense for a bunch of Mountain West schools to move than have those schools go to the Mountain West.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

THings change, lots of misinformation out there but from what I've read, Oregon isn't wanted by the B1G or USC.  IDK.

WSU and OSU, to me, are equivalent to a Vanderbilt, MSU, Purdue, etc.  Only difference is the SEC and B1G protect their little brothers.  

I've been super bullish on expansion for the last ten years but now I kind of wish we could head back to 1996.  I think conferences should be regional. 

I think if the Big XII had any hair on its balls whatsoever, it would not only invite AZ, ASU, UT, and CU, but also extend a "one-time" only invite to Oregon and UDub and say, here's your one chance...take it or leave it."

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The USC/UCLA move is what Burton warned us about for years. If Texas didn’t join the SEC they’d have to make a similar move. Weird geographic fit, one or fewer travel partners, constant time zone issues, and harming the non-revenue sports. 

The Trojans and Bruins had to do it, but they got what got for being reactive. 

The time zone thing is going to tick off a bunch of east coast Big 10 fanbases.    That 7:00 PM start time in LA is going to be 10PM for folks in State College, Columbus, and and Ann Arbor.   9:00 PM starts are tough enough for we in the Central time zone.  

3 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I think if the Big XII had any hair on its balls whatsoever, it would not only invite AZ, ASU, UT, and CU, but also extend a "one-time" only invite to Oregon and UDub and say, here's your one chance...take it or leave it."

That's not really how it works. They are the two best programs left in the PAC. We would take them now or 5 years from now if they are still stranded. And we'd know the entire time they'll continue begging for a Big 10 invite and will take it immediately if offered. That's just the new world. Everyone outside the SEC and Big 10 are pursing that invite. The money difference is just enormous now.

• Hook 'Em 3