Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

If the conference were looking for the biggest FU they could manage, they would have us not play the RRS, instead having each of us play 5 road games to 4 home. Hopefully there is contractual language to prevent it. I agree that of all the "away" games, Houston would be best in terms of opportunity to play in front of a lot of friendlies.

44 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If the conference were looking for the biggest FU they could manage, they would have us not play the RRS, instead having each of us play 5 road games to 4 home. Hopefully there is contractual language to prevent it. I agree that of all the "away" games, Houston would be best in terms of opportunity to play in front of a lot of friendlies.

Yeah NO, the TV partners would never allow their highest rated conference game to not be played.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

The question is will they make us play at TDECU stadium or move it to NRG.

I think they’ll attempt to force TDECU on us. NRG would create a bad precedent. Tech and Baylor would ask to play there too. 

I believe they’d have to split the gate with NRG as well. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think they’ll attempt to force TDECU on us. NRG would create a bad precedent. Tech and Baylor would ask to play there too. 

I believe they’d have to split the gate with NRG as well. 

The internets would currently have me believe that TDECU is only 40,000.  That would be the smallest stadium in the Big 12 as Amon G in Fort Worth is 50,000.  That might prove to be a tough ticket.

I imagine the B12 will give us a going away schedule of the teams most willing to jihad us (focused game plan, frenzied players and fans)- OU, OSU, UH, TT, TCU, BU, WVU (remember- they declared us their rivals upon joining), ISU and KU. The UH game, in Houston, will delight the B12- “you thought you didn’t have to play the Cougars again? Too bad. You have to.”

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

The internets would currently have me believe that TDECU is only 40,000.  That would be the smallest stadium in the Big 12 as Amon G in Fort Worth is 50,000.  That might prove to be a tough ticket.

Don't worry, I heard they'll be adding some temporary bleachers for the Texas fans...

5 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

That's a way better job.   Not sure anyone has stirred the pot more in the shortest amount of time.

The way he went from a complete chump during COVID to pulling off the biggest coup in the history of the sport in less than 2 years is absolutely nuts 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:07 PM, statsman said:

I think making us play at Houston is a big flex by the B12. Puts us in our place. 

Not sure if serious.

Making Texas play at Houston in their small stadium that will be 1/2 (at least) full of Longhorn fans doesn't seem like much of a "flex" to me.

Seems like the flex move would be sending Texas both to Provo and either Cincy or UCF.

On 12/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, Sandman said:

I read some rumor that he wanted more PAC schools than just USC/UCLA and the BIG presidents said no and now he's pissed. Wonder if there's truth to that.

He gonna have to give back that Oregon bribe money

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not sure if serious.

Making Texas play at Houston in their small stadium that will be 1/2 (at least) full of Longhorn fans doesn't seem like much of a "flex" to me.

Seems like the flex move would be sending Texas both to Provo and either Cincy or UCF.

I don't know how much of a flex it would really be either, but supposedly we were pretty adamant with Houston that we would never play another game in O'Quinn after bleacher gate. 

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Not sure if serious.

Exactly.  Toss WVU in there too just to make the road trips as far as possible.

If they were going for maximum pettiness that’s what it would look like.

Maybe Ames in November.

I don't get this whole sending OUT to the new teams only thinking . 

Sure maybe 1 to screw with us but I'd expect something more OU to play at tech and ksu and Cincinnati 

Texas to play at WVU, OSU, BYU 

Now strings of road trips in cold November sure , otherwise they'll be giving the H8 these as home games to increase their odds and revenue 

Don't count out the TV execs to weigh in here to get the most out of next years going away tour

Edited by BigHornedLurker

On 12/28/2022 at 6:29 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Coug High will be a de facto home game. 

I want no part of Provo. They’ll dig up a 28 year old QB/RB with two surgically repaired knees, and he’ll run it down our throats all night. 

“At” Houston, at UCF or Cincy, and let’s get the hell out of here. 

Haha. I think a homecoming for Sark could be fun, but I like having scoreboard and I think the most likely outcome is that Texas avenges the previous couple of matchups, so I wouldn't mind if we don't play Texas next year. We have a lot of unknowns and rebuilding to do in the offseason. Need Slovis to come in and have a big year. 

On 12/29/2022 at 1:59 PM, Sandman said:

I read some rumor that he wanted more PAC schools than just USC/UCLA and the BIG presidents said no and now he's pissed. Wonder if there's truth to that.

It is lame they are adopting UCLA and SC. That's just not cool. I hope somehow it gets reversed, as there are no geographic or cultural similarities at all. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Crockett said:

Haha. I think a homecoming for Sark could be fun, but I like having scoreboard and I think the most likely outcome is that Texas avenges the previous couple of matchups, so I wouldn't mind if we don't play Texas next year. We have a lot of unknowns and rebuilding to do in the offseason. Need Slovis to come in and have a big year. 

Please make sure he doesn't shred both ACLs in the spring. The last thing we need to worry about is an elite running quarterback. 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Please make sure he doesn't shred both ACLs in the spring. The last thing we need to worry about is an elite running quarterback. 

You probably didn't see it, but our backup QB played in our bowl game and ran for 96 yards and a TD. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, Crockett said:

Same here,  Texas would be catching us at the right time with our personnel losses.    Y'all shouldn't worry about Kedon Slovis running on y'all, he's as slow as Christmas Day in a mall, though he has a knee brace...  

Edited by FartingDreamer

6 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Same here,  Texas would be catching us at the right time with our personnel losses.    Y'all shouldn't worry about Kedon Slovis running on y'all, he's as slow as Christmas Day in a mall, though he has a knee brace...  

are knee braces not allowed in malls on Christmas?

On 12/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, ATXbronco said:

Haven't been following the thread, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

Do we know yet whether we'll play against our typical Big 12 opponents next year or if we might play against any of the newcomers?
Specifically, I'm wondering whether it's possible we might play against UCF.

https://fbschedules.com/2023-texas-football-schedule/

image.png.7cee9e3a1da3cc2aeedc7d8a0c26c581.png

Prepare your anus however the schedule shakes out .

On 12/31/2022 at 5:14 AM, Gidnik said:

‘anyone got they copy paste?

Have posted this trick upthread as well but, skirting paywalls for articles on The Athletic and others (e.g., ESPN+) is as simple as (1) going to Archive.ph, (2) dropping in the URL of the article, (3) hitting "save" and (4) waiting for it to process. Here's a copy-paste of the article you wanted:

Spoiler

Before the Pac-12 and Big 12 engaged in a public feud regarding the most recent round of college football expansion — and whether it might include one conference poaching teams from the other — Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff was intrigued by the possibility of partnering with the Big 12, according to an email obtained via public records request by The Athletic. Here’s what you need to know.

Backstory

July 18 report by ESPN indicated that the leagues had decided against partnering, a decision framed as the Big 12 informing the Pac-12 that it wasn’t interested. Kliavkoff offered a different version of those events later that month, telling The Athletic at Pac-12 media day: “The Big 12 asked whether we would be interested in merging, and we explained to them the financial reasons and the contractual reasons related to existing media deals that would make it impossible for us to merge with them.”

He seemed more open-minded in an email sent July 7 — one week after the USC-UCLA news broke — to Ana Mari Cauce, president of the University of Washington and the new chair of the Pac-12’s executive committee, and Stanford president Marc Tessier-Lavigne, another executive committee member. In that email, Kliavkoff outlined his messaging strategy for a Zoom meeting scheduled for the following day with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark, Texas Tech president and Big 12 board of directors chair Lawrence Schovanec and Kevin Sweeney, the Big 12’s longtime outside general counsel.

“We are open to discussing a strategic relationship with the Big12 [sic] that could help both Conferences and we have no preconceived notions about what would be possible or not; we think it is worth exploring,” Kliavkoff wrote to the two Pac-12 presidents.

Kliavkoff mentioned that he had informed Yormark that he also had spoken with the ACC, “and the ACC commissioner knows that we are talking to the Big12.”

It was important to communicate to the Big 12 that transparency and good faith were paramount, Kliavkoff wrote.

“We want to work in good faith to see if there is value we can create together, but the certainty of each of our current memberships is essential to the potential value of any prospective collaboration,” he wrote. “The Pac-12 has not called or contacted a single president or AD or any other affiliated person with any Big12 school in the last week and we have not returned any such calls, recognizing the potential larger value to our members of a prospective collaboration with [the] Big12 that increases our competitiveness on the national landscape.”

Reports began circulating that the Big 12 was in talks with several Pac-12 schools to discuss expansion options. Six days after Kliavkoff’s email, Yormark declared the Big 12 “open for business” regarding expansion, a remark Kliavkoff clearly interpreted as directed at the Pac-12. At his conference’s media day later that month, Kliavkoff retorted that “with respect to the Big 12 being open for business, I appreciate that. We haven’t decided if we’re going shopping there yet or not.”

He vented about “grenades that have been lobbed in from every corner of the Big 12, trying to destabilize our remaining conference,” and touted what he believes to be the Pac-12’s superior media rights value in declaring that “no Pac-12 school is going to the Big 12.” Two Pac-12 athletic directors echoed that belief.

Kliavkoff was at least intrigued by the Big 12’s media rights timeline, though, and included it as a talking point with Cauce and Tessier-Lavigne, writing: “There may be a particularly interesting opportunity since both of our media rights (and especially our football media rights) come up in the next 3 years and this will be the last high level college rights available for a long time.”

Where do things stand now?

The Big 12 solidified its future by negotiating an early extension of its rights with ESPN and Fox, a six-year deal worth more than $2.2 billion with BYUCincinnatiUCF and Houston joining the conference for the 2023 season. The Pac-12 opened its exclusive negotiating window with current partners ESPN and Fox shortly after USC and UCLA announced their move to the Big Ten, and has since taken those rights to the open market.

Kliavkoff has said he expects a digital streaming partner to purchase at least some of the league’s media rights; any potential expansion would wait until after the media-rights deal is completed. Kliavkoff said in early December that he didn’t expect a deal until after the new year.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 3:27 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

I don't get this whole sending OUT to the new teams only thinking . 

Sure maybe 1 to screw with us but I'd expect something more OU to play at tech and ksu and Cincinnati 

Texas to play at WVU, OSU, BYU 

Now strings of road trips in cold November sure , otherwise they'll be giving the H8 these as home games to increase their odds and revenue 

Don't count out the TV execs to weigh in here to get the most out of next years going away tour

Yes.  I would think the R8 would want as much Texas and OU as they could.  There are 14 teams and 9 games, so that means you skip 4 of the other 13.  I'm guessing OU and UT skip 2 of the new 4.

I think the reason we don't see a schedule yet is because 2023 is still on the table.   It will include concessions, however, like long term made for TV OOC pairings between the Big 12 and SEC, including Bedlam and Tech/Texas, so that Fox gets more extended value - including, perhaps, getting the River in 23 or 24 outside of the ESPN contract.

It won't help with the buyout, but if Fox is happy and ESPN is happy and the Big 12 isn't losing money, then the GoR won't be necessary.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I think the reason we don't see a schedule yet is because 2023 is still on the table.   It will include concessions, however, like long term made for TV OOC pairings between the Big 12 and SEC, including Bedlam and Tech/Texas, so that Fox gets more extended value - including, perhaps, getting the River in 23 or 24 outside of the ESPN contract.

It won't help with the buyout, but if Fox is happy and ESPN is happy and the Big 12 isn't losing money, then the GoR won't be necessary.

Hope so.  Now that Bowlsby is gone, and the initial shock of the divorce has subsided, maybe the Irate 8 would like to be rid of us asap as well.  Let's all find the number and move on asap.

Texas will get 2 of the new teams and Ou will get 2. All likely on the road. my guess is UT will go to Houston and UCF and OU will go to Byu and Cincy. We will get TT for sure and probably Bu. Ok will get Ok St for sure. 

Texas: @UH, @Ucf TT, @Bu

Ou: @Byu, @Cincy, @Ok St

remaining: Ksu, Ku, Iowa St, WV, Tcu

30 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Texas will get 2 of the new teams and Ou will get 2. All likely on the road. my guess is UT will go to Houston and UCF and OU will go to Byu and Cincy. We will get TT for sure and probably Bu. Ok will get Ok St for sure. 

Texas: @UH, @Ucf TT, @Bu

Ou: @Byu, @Cincy, @Ok St

remaining: Ksu, Ku, Iowa St, WV, Tcu

The new teams won’t get all get home games from Texas/OU. They can’t even vote yet before the schedule is made.

Texas will play 1 noob at home and 1 away Oklahoma will do the same with the other two.

The other schools want Texas/OU game at their house versus any of the new schools.

My gut says our schedule will skip one of the Kansas schools (since we just played them at their places) and either West Virginia or Iowa State will lose their home game with Texas (but since they are coming off rough seasons, they are really being allowed to duck us). The rest of the schedule remains the same and we play @UH (still pisses me off) and get BYU at DKR.

Home - Tech, Okie St, BYU, KSU (skips KU)
Away - BU, TCU, UH, WVU (skips ISU)

Oklahoma’s
Home - Iowa St, TCU, WVU, Cincy (skips Tech)
Away - K State, Kansas, Okie St, UCF (skips BU)

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The new teams won’t get all get home games from Texas/OU. They can’t even vote yet before the schedule is made.

Texas will play 1 noob at home and 1 away Oklahoma will do the same with the other two.

The other schools want Texas/OU game at their house versus any of the new schools.

My gut says our schedule will skip one of the Kansas schools (since we just played them at their places) and either West Virginia or Iowa State will lose their home game with Texas (but since they are coming off rough seasons, they are really being allowed to duck us). The rest of the schedule remains the same and we play @UH (still pisses me off) and get BYU at DKR.

Home - Tech, Okie St, BYU, KSU (skips KU)
Away - BU, TCU, UH, WVU (skips ISU)

Oklahoma’s
Home - Iowa St, TCU, WVU, Cincy (skips Tech)
Away - K State, Kansas, Okie St, UCF (skips BU)

Good analysis.

Bring on BYU. They are one of the 14 schools we have a losing recond against (that we can still play). And 1 of the 7 on that list we've played more than once. We need our Mormon mojo back! We got K-State off the list recently along with WVU (.500)... So we need more Mountaineer to get that stat to a winning record. 

2 of the other schools are in the SEC, so we can correct that soon.

Our OOC should be those teams until we fix the ledger! Schedule em until we beat em. 

Hook 'em! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very much doubt B1G presidents would have said no to Stanford, Cal, or Washington; or that they’d balk at Oregon if attached to Washington or all three of those.
  • Like 1