Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

20 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just such a joke Texas will be back in this shitty conf next season. 
Longest breakup ever. 
Can’t OU have a bake sale or something to raise the money for buyout? 

It's not the money owed to the Big 12 at this point, it's Fox.  They want to be made whole:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-finalizing-14-team-football-scheduling-model-for-2023-24-seasons-including-texas-and-oklahoma/

Though there was a belief that Texas and Oklahoma may have been attempting to exit the Big 12 one year early in 2024, sources told Dodd that Fox would likely have demanded a return to make its future programming whole, including a top-tier selection of games years into the future given the marquee programs would have left its airwaves early. That's beyond what would have been a potentially massive early exit fee the programs would have needed to pay the Big 12 directly.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

If the big 12 added current pac schools, they wouldn't be getting the same cut as the schools in the conference now would receive. At least that's what I remembered in the details of the new Big12 media deal. Espn would pay it's share but Fox wouldn't. 

I believe P-5 schools get the same, G-5 schools would not.

21 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

In my experience, Tech fans have always been more insufferable. The chip on their shoulder dwarfs anything coming out of College Station.

To be fair there is some truth in here about Tech, but to say ANYTHING dwarfs the chip on aggy shoulders is just plain wrong.

• Hook 'Em 4

Tech lacks the delusional belief they are legends. Also Tech also hates A&M. Because of that I feel kinship even though I know they hate me.

But I kind of feel that way about TCU as well. Yes I know their fans hate us, but I just cannot be bothered to care. I still sorta like them and am glad when they do well (when not playing Texas of course). Not for any rational reason or anything, them doing well doesn't do anything good for Texas. Just a familiarity over many decades.

I used to feel that way about Baylor before all the murdering and raping.

Edited by Valmy77

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

I dunno. Anecdotal account here, but as an early cord cutter since 2009, I've been able to watch just about any game I've wanted by streaming from my laptop for the past several years. Gimme more sports on Hulu or Amazon, and I'm extra happy because I don't have to find some sketchy stream.

Don't know what the numbers might be, but I sure don't feel like I'm alone. So, the audience might be there even if they haven't been accounted for in the past, especially going forward as fewer young'uns want to see, or pay, the cable guy fuck my ex-wife in the ass between 10am & 2pm or which ever time he's scheduled to arrive.

In other words, I could see a streaming model from an internet platform being highly lucrative, but that's just me.

The PAC going all-in on Amazon creates a couple of problems.  1) They're alienating the still significant number of people who haven't cut the cord, yet, and 2) they're making people who stream CFB do extra work to find their product.  

Most casual fans who are streamers are going to stay on the viewing interface where the bulk of the game inventory is (ESPN app, hulu, etc.)  Asking casual viewers to 1) remember the PAC game is happening in the first place, and 2) leave their app (which probably has better games on it) to go see what's happening on the Amazon Prime app is a bad idea.  Most won't do it.  It's not like ESPN is going to cut into their own broadcasts with studio updates advising viewers about the exciting game happening out west on the Prime App.

Out of sight, out of mind.  

2 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

I don't know. At least A&M has its own (warped) identity. Tech's only validation is the occasional upset of a big boy.

They had a really cool identity before they idiotically fired Coach Leach

Also they throw tortillas, masturbate while ringing bells, and run horses into walls. So they do things.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Tech lacks the delusional belief they are legends. Also Tech also hates A&M. Because of that I feel kinship even though I know they hate me.

But I kind of feel that way about TCU as well. Yes I know their fans hate us, but I just cannot be bothered to care. I still sorta like them and am glad when they do well (when not playing Texas of course). Not for any rational reason or anything, them doing well doesn't do anything good for Texas. Just a familiarity over many decades.

I used to feel that way about Baylor before all the murdering and raping.

1974, let alone Teaff’s last game, meant that hasn’t been an option for me for quite some time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

In my experience, Tech fans have always been more insufferable. The chip on their shoulder dwarfs anything coming out of College Station.

When they win like they did last September  against us they certainly are until they lose again .   But unlike aggy they don’t pretend to be consistent football power.   They know they’ve been mediocre for most of their history in both the SWC and Big12.   aggy thought they were an elite in the Big12 and they claim a share of the SEC title and the National title when Bama or Georgia wins because they are SEC! SEC! SEC!

9 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m convinced I’ll be dead before UT plays a single SEC game Tech wins another Big XII Basketball game.

Life can come at you fast though.

UT jumps in 24 at the latest.

The Amazon-PAC deal feels like a bailout. Amazon has so much money, they don’t give a shit. Don’t believe me, try returning some shit on Amazon. They’ll issue an refund and let you keep it. 

Maybe the PAC deal is part of a long term play for them. Maybe it’s to keep their engineers happy. Doesn’t make much sense on the business side. Especially given their current experience with Thursday Night Football. 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:32 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Related:

It's about fucking time.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:34 PM, Saint Austin said:

This is some straight up bullshit. How old are you? I'm seriously asking.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's about fucking time.

This is some straight up bullshit. How old are you? I'm seriously asking.

40, but thanks so much for playing!!

Been to numerous away games at both places. Obviously A&M is obsessed with us, but no one outside of Kyle, Reed, or Olsen has ever tried to pick a fight with me after a game… same can’t be said about Lubbock. 

A&M’s obsession with us feels more a like a bad bit at this point, and one that in recent years has been exposed to the whole country as silly and pathetic. Tech fans are hostile and toxic. Not sure how this distinction isn’t obvious to everyone. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Amazon-PAC deal feels like a bailout. Amazon has so much money, they don’t give a shit. Don’t believe me, try returning some shit on Amazon. They’ll issue an refund and let you keep it. 

Maybe the PAC deal is part of a long term play for them. Maybe it’s to keep their engineers happy. Doesn’t make much sense on the business side. Especially given their current experience with Thursday Night Football. 

The problem if they go full in with Amazon is exposure. Yes, they’ll have more availability nationwide on Amazon than they have with the P12Network but that is they only positive.

On Amazon fewer casual fans will actually tune in on Saturdays, especially when you take out USC/UCLA. Yeah, the PAC fans will watch but they don’t support their teams anywhere near SEC/B1G or even B12 level. The PAC12 after dark (and getting to hide their shit games in the P12N really boosted their avg viewership numbers and without those and being relegated to a streaming service, guess how the next round of PAC TV negotiations will go?

The only way this model will work is if they absolutely surpass the B12/ACC in revenue, not barely beat out but significantly surpass them and establish themselves as a clear #3, otherwise this doesn’t make sense to trade eyeballs for just a few dollars more.

That’s the reason we haven’t heard a peep out of the PAC12. They have to come up with a number that better than the B12 (Amazon), and keep their conference relevant and in the public eye (ESPN). They don’t have both currently, and with FOX sitting this one out, their only hope is NBC or CBS which seems like long shots at best (NBC just added the B1G to its CFB lineup that historically only included ND, and CBS just traded SEC for B1G and has never really been a major player past their single game of the week).

The Big 12 just needs to sit back and wait. Arizona will likely be calling them up as soon as these negotiations end.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The problem if they go full in with Amazon is exposure. Yes, they’ll have more availability nationwide on Amazon than they have with the P12Network but that is they only positive.

On Amazon fewer casual fans will actually tune in on Saturdays, especially when you take out USC/UCLA. Yeah, the PAC fans will watch but they don’t support their teams anywhere near SEC/B1G or even B12 level. The PAC12 after dark (and getting to hide their shit games in the P12N really boosted their avg viewership numbers and without those and being relegated to a streaming service, guess how the next round of PAC TV negotiations will go?

The only way this model will work is if they absolutely surpass the B12/ACC in revenue, not barely beat out but significantly surpass them and establish themselves as a clear #3, otherwise this doesn’t make sense to trade eyeballs for just a few dollars more.

That’s the reason we haven’t heard a peep out of the PAC12. They have to come up with a number that better than the B12 (Amazon), and keep their conference relevant and in the public eye (ESPN). They don’t have both currently, and with FOX sitting this one out, their only hope is NBC or CBS which seems like long shots at best (NBC just added the B1G to its CFB lineup that historically only included ND, and CBS just traded SEC for B1G and has never really been a major player past their single game of the week).

The Big 12 just needs to sit back and wait. Arizona will likely be calling them up as soon as these negotiations end.

Truth - brands generate money, but they are only built with exposure.  It is far more important than revenue for most schools, as you cannot grow your brand if no one sees it.  And, if you can't grow it, you can't monetize it.

It doesn't matter if they make twice as much, if the ACC/B12 have 3-4 games on major channels a week each and the Pac is on Amazon, Oregon and Washington are going to be in a very bad place in a decade.

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Before any conference jumps at an Amazon exclusive deal for some content, they need to see how well the NFL did with it's trial run this most recently completed regular season.    Just from  logistics point with streaming, I can't see giving Amazon a chunk of the pie is a positive at this point because it's an exclusive platform.   I have both Amazon Prime and Direct TV Stream and the thing that makes it more of a pain in the ass vs conventional cable is I can't go jumping from channel to channel to peek in on multiple games.   On Alamo Bowl Thursday, I had my Ipad on Amazon Prime watching the Cowboys and the TV on the Alamo Bowl.   

I’m not an old but I’m also no spring chicken. 
this talk about switching between apps on streaming is silly. Maybe the casual fan perusing channels isn’t going to but if there’s a game I want to watch on Amazon is isn’t some crazy ass ordeal to switch from yttv. It’s literally 2 extra button presses then changing channels which you have to back out to the menu anyway on yttv.  Casual fans fine, college football fans? Nah. It is only a mental problem until you get past button presses on the lazy ass remote. 

8 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

this talk about switching between apps on streaming is silly. Maybe the casual fan perusing channels isn’t going to but if there’s a game I want to watch on Amazon is isn’t some crazy ass ordeal to switch from yttv. It’s literally 2 extra button presses then changing channels which you have to back out to the menu anyway on yttv.  Casual fans fine, college football fans? Nah. It is only a mental problem until you get past button presses on the lazy ass remote. 

You going to do all that work to watch Cal vs San Diego State, Washington State vs Stanford, Oregon State vs Arizona, etc? 

The marquee game will be on CBS or whatever the network for that will be.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Not true on my TV.  Getting to the Prime app is a pain the ass.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

I don't think the moaning & groaning are from people who have already cut cable. For people like yourself (& myself for that matter) switching from YTTV to Amazon Prime is fairly simple, though it is slightly annoying waiting on everything to load if you're just trying to catch something different while the main game is on commercial break. The bigger issue will be for those who still have a classic cable setup. They'll either be pulling up a stream from a laptop or phone and casting it or have a laptop w/ an HDMI adapter plugged directly into the TV. Maybe I have shitty internet or never find good streams, but those situations rarely work out well for me with regards to picture quality & dependability & the idea of going through that for a crappy PAC12 game sounds unlikely.

14 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

It depends on the streaming service  and device.  

2 minutes ago, hook me said:

I don't think the moaning & groaning are from people who have already cut cable. For people like yourself (& myself for that matter) switching from YTTV to Amazon Prime is fairly simple, though it is slightly annoying waiting on everything to load if you're just trying to catch something different while the main game is on commercial break. The bigger issue will be for those who still have a classic cable setup. They'll either be pulling up a stream from a laptop or phone and casting it or have a laptop w/ an HDMI adapter plugged directly into the TV. Maybe I have shitty internet or never find good streams, but those situations rarely work out well for me with regards to picture quality & dependability & the idea of going through that for a crappy PAC12 game sounds unlikely.

That's what I was trying to get at.     Switching between the services (me it's Direct TV Stream and Prime) is simple.   But the time it takes to load can be annoying.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

40, but thanks so much for playing!!

Been to numerous away games at both places. Obviously A&M is obsessed with us, but no one outside of Kyle, Reed, or Olsen has ever tried to pick a fight with me after a game… same can’t be said about Lubbock. 

A&M’s obsession with us feels more a like a bad bit at this point, and one that in recent years has been exposed to the whole country as silly and pathetic. Tech fans are hostile and toxic. Not sure how this distinction isn’t obvious to everyone. 

Well, considering that the typical aggy couldn't win a fight against a 5 year old little girl, it's easy to understand why they wouldn't try to pick a fight with you.

aggy.png

• Haha 1

Another thing is how many bars are going to be showing PAC games on Amazon. Lord knows most waitresses and bartenders have a hard enough time figuring out which channel a network is on as is. And that's just with cable.

Throw in trying to figure out how to switch inputs is going to cause serious problems in the food and beverage industry.

• Hook 'Em 1

None of that switching fuckery makes a shit. 

There won’t be anything even worth considering changing the channel/app/stream to watch.

But they can also hide their real numbers much better as well.

If someone isn’t watching that game as their primary target, there aren’t going to be games worth changing whatever to see.

Especially without having a back button available.

If they do go streaming, regardless of the lipstick they put on it, they’re properly fucked and in worse shape than most realize/admit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, Trojan Man said:

I think there is a happy middle ground you can find between the haves and the have nots.  I personally believe it would be tragic for the sport if the biggest schools all broke away to make their own league and exclusively play each other.  I've described why earlier in this thread but the chiefs need the indians as much as the indians need the chiefs.  6 autobids in the expanded playoff is a big step in keeping the sport together instead of coalescing around a handful of powerhouses.

The Big 12 and Pac 12 just couldn't find that balance to make coexistence possible because both conferences have too many nutswinger schools, which means they're the ones dictating policy and setting the tone and deciding the conference's direction.  Even before realignment too much of each conference based their decisions and their entire season on giving the middle finger to Texas/USC, which caused a lot of bitterness and hatred on each side.  But look at the B1G and SEC.  Their bluebloods and their middle of the road schools and their bottom feeders all work together pretty harmoniously without the constant drama and bullshit you see between the Big 12/Pac 12 and Texas/USC.  They all row their boat in the same direction while the Big 12 and Pac 12 have sizable "Fuck Texas/Fuck USC" factions that would happily do whatever they can to kneecap their big bad wolves.

I'm curious how you believe the Big 12 was giving the middle finger to Texas. They allowed unequal revenue sharing for a very long time when all other conferences split revenue equally. They allowed schools to keep all tier 3 revenue and allowed Texas to have their own network when no other conference would have even considered that. Frankly, the biggest anti-Texas voices in the conference bailed, and now Texas is leaving to rejoin one of them. Texas has been kneecapping themselves competitively all on their own.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 8