Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

It's not satire.  It's just frustrating.  This isn't TAPPS 2A where everybody has to be given a right to play and compete.  This is a huge, valuable, high stakes business and if someone isn't contributing at the highest levels they should be part of the payout.  

Annoying and shitty of a program as they and their gomer fanbase are, they are still one of the biggest revenue producing programs in the NCAA. To go along with their goldfish brained fans always thinking next year is the year, they are a never ending money machine that will help build facilities at the relevant schools in the league. Ask yourself from a business perspective if you would rather have A&M or a school like Indiana in your league that has zero redeeming qualities. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Annoying and shitty of a program as they and their gomer fanbase are, they are still one of the biggest revenue producing programs in the NCAA. To go along with their goldfish brained fans always thinking next year is the year, they are a never ending money machine that will help build facilities at the relevant schools in the league. Ask yourself from a business perspective if you would rather have A&M or a school like Indiana in your league that has zero redeeming qualities. 

Why am I in a league with zero redeeming qualities?

28 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Ask yourself from a business perspective if you would rather have A&M or a school like Indiana in your league that has zero redeeming qualities. 

Last I saw, hoops contributed 20% to a league's media value. 

But, yeah, every conference except the B1G - and maybe ACC - would rather have aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:47 AM, Laxtonto said:

The number 7 is what is weird to me.  So unless that is max number of picks Fox gets from the B12, they have to have the schedule. If they do not have the schedule and then is just the max potential picks FOX has first dibs on, it is a massive slap in the face for all the other schools in the B12 and a signal how big of a deal losing Texas and OU is and how fucked the future media rights are for the B12 in Fox's eyes.

This.

It's sunshine-pumping to even claim that Big12 will be "SO marketable!" after Texas leaves. Fuck Mobilehoma! 

After Texas leaves, the Big12 might as well be a glorified-WAC, or worse another SWAC. Lulz.

BUT no one wants to say any of this now, because it will hurt all the left-behinds' feelings!  They can all GO TO HELL! 

They face Oblivion, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them drop football in the next 20 years because they can't gravy-train off TEXAS anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Indiana has more major sports national championships over the last 70 years than aggy.

7 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Man think how good Texas would be at football if only it could gravy train off Texas.

Whatever failures Texas has had playing football for way too long, I trust we can at least acknowledge that Texas, along with OU, were the primary drivers of whatever value the networks saw in the Big 12, right? And that this value inured to the benefit of the other schools in the conference beyond the value they, themselves, brought, right?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Whatever failures Texas has had playing football for way too long, I trust we can at least acknowledge that Texas, along with OU, were the primary drivers of whatever value the networks saw in the Big 12, right? And that this value inured to the benefit of the other schools in the conference beyond the value they, themselves, brought, right?

I don't know if anyone has ever argued anything different.

The payout for the new Big 12 shows where the market values the remaining schools and their additions.  A lot less than the blueblood collectives, and a little more/about the same as the other 2 P5 leagues.  

The only leeches left are the Purdues and Mississippi States of the world.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know if anyone has ever argued anything different.

The payout for the new Big 12 shows where the market values the remaining schools and their additions.  A lot less than the blueblood collectives, and a little more/about the same as the other 2 P5 leagues.  

The only leeches left are the Purdues and Mississippi States of the world.

Well, the post to which he responded was about schools potentially dropping football without that financial benefit. His response was a bit of a non sequitur so maybe he was trying to make some different point. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Well, the post to which he responded was about schools potentially dropping football without that financial benefit. His response was a bit of a non sequitur so maybe he was trying to make some different point. 

The post about the remaining Big 12 schools dropping football was so ridiculous it didn't merit addressing, at least to me.

I think his point was that having top dollar is no guarantee of football success, and that the remaining schools will have the opportunity to be as successful post-UT and OU as they were when you were here.  It was no comment on the financial value UT and OU provided the other 8 schools.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

The post about the remaining Big 12 schools dropping football was so ridiculous it didn't merit addressing, at least to me.

Twenty years is a long time. I don’t know about dropping football, per se, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to entertain the idea that many/most of the Big 12 won’t be competing at the same level as Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. by then. I don’t think it’s out of the question that upper tier college football consolidates with 32-64 teams or the like. 

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Twenty years is a long time. I don’t know about dropping football, per se, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to entertain the idea that many/most of the Big 12 won’t be competing at the same level as Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, etc. by then. I don’t think it’s out of the question that upper tier college football consolidates with 32-64 teams or the like. 

If It's 64 teams, then pretty much every Big 12 school's on that list.  32?  Probably not.

Most of the schools in college football are not competing on the same level as the Top 10-15 programs, and that includes many of their conference mates.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Relax Francis. It was a joke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-expansion-with-san-diego-state-smu-may-be-necessary-before-league-inks-new-media-rights-deal/

Pony Express is necessary to save Pac.  They ARE in pretty bad shape.  Forget SDSU.  Take the Owls and Ponies.

"... the Pac-12 has focused its efforts on evaluating San Diego State and SMU.

Pac-12 commissioner Georgia Kliavkoff has already toured San Diego State, CBS Sports previously learned. He is planning to visit SMU on Wednesday, according to Brett McMurphy.

The Pac-12's next media rights deal will be heavily reliant on a digital streaming partner. Significantly more than half of each season's Pac-12 football games will be primarily available via streaming as part of the conference's next rights deal, sources tell CBS Sports.

Such a ratio is unprecedented for a Power Five conference and for whichever streaming giant becomes the first to more fully embrace college sports. The move would likely upset Pac-12 coaches, athletic directors and administrators who rely on widespread visibility for their games via linear (cable) and network platforms for everything from athletic recruitment to university enrollment.

The Pac-12 has long suffered from substandard distribution resulting after deciding to go with the standalone, wholly owned Pac-12 Networks. A heavy streaming deal would further limit the conference's visibility. 

The next Pac-12 deal is expected to be split between a streaming service and ESPN. With the Pac-12 seemingly unable to reach its compensation target -- believed to be approximately $30 million to $35 million per program annually -- it appears to be urgent for the conference to expand as a condition of completing a deal in the monetary range it seeks...."

14 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas isn't competing at that level either... I mean, it WANTS to.

Lotsa barbs thrown around in this thread towards leavers and stayers.  

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, bullet said:

The Pac-12's next media rights deal will be heavily reliant on a digital streaming partner. Significantly more than half of each season's Pac-12 football games will be primarily available via streaming as part of the conference's next rights deal, sources tell CBS Sports.

Say pretty much all of them without saying pretty much all of them.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I’ll type it more slowly: Texas won’t be left out of any consolidation of the upper tier of college football. The Techs of the world should probably hope that the consolidation isn’t drastic enough to leave them out. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’ll type it more slowly: Texas won’t be left out of any consolidation of the upper tier of college football. The Techs of the world should probably hope that the consolidation isn’t drastic enough to leave them out. 

I don't foresee it being < Top 64, which should include Tech, but who knows?

48 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Oooooh burn.   LOLz.

Your Lambo still runs like a fucking Beetle.

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I'd love to see the Top 10-15 programs just go have their own division and championship.

UT

OU

Bama

LSU

Georgia

Ohio State 

Michigan

Penn State

USC

Notre Dame

Tennessee

Clemson

There's 12.  Just play it like a 12 team conference with some rotational games, and have your CCG on New Year's or whatever.  Everyone else reorganizes on a geographic basis and has divisions and playoffs in another division down that's basically comprised of your remaining P5 schools.  Then a division created out of the G5, and then FCS.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

If SMU or Rice, with SDSU already being discussed, is being mentioned as potential adds for the PAC 12, they might as well shut it down now. (I mentioned both because it is the only way travel partner-wise to make the other sports viable.) The problem is that Rice is a boat anchor for a P5 and will never be a revenue positive add.

So you are telling me that the PAC12 schools will be ok adding those schools or that those schools will provide enough payout to make the conference viable longterm? I find that hard to believe. Why would the 4 corners prefer that type of setup vs defecting to the B12 for a higher payout? 

I can “understand” those adds if the Pac12 is trying to backfill after additional defections, but as just new adds they don’t move the needle enough to be considered a proactive move to help increase the payout to convince teams to stay.

If this is a move the Pac12 is truly considering then the B12 might as well break out the champagne and celebrate its new members. I can see little benefits for say Cal or Stanford for agreeing to add Texas schools. How do you sell these adds to your current members without them being a huge improvement to the current tv payout? The problem is that these adds are much worse than the departing schools and so they are not proving enough value to offset their warts.

This gets to the real crux of the problem of that what is killing the Pac12 from a realignment perspective is the lack of viable additions. The B12 struggled with this, with few solid regional options, and now the Pac12 is faced with the same scenario with even less viable alternatives.

The BYU add might actually be the real lynchpin in killing the Pac12.  They were a perfect “break in case of extreme emergency” option. Unfortunately the Pac12 waited for so long that the emergency life raft got used by someone else and now they are looking to dip into the ocean with the best emergency options being a soggy life preserver or a wooden door cast off their sinking ship.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

They turned their nose up at 5 reasonably large public schools with invested fanbases, solid to elite basketball programs (the defending champ and a school 2 years removed from playing for one), solid football programs, and 1 private school who just played for the national championship in football and has a strong basketball program.

Fucking idiots deserve their plight.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

No...but that's due to our own incompetence. Of the four you highlighted though:

USC - I think we actually beat the last time we played them

Bama - lost by 1. Sort of got hosed by the refs.  Before you say bias, if a guy who has no attachment like Reggie Bush says it, it may have some credence.

Georgia - We actually beat the last time we played with one of the worst coaches in the world (according to this board).  

Ohio St - I think we beat the last time we played.

How did Tech do against the last time they played the above?  We are at least 2 levels below Bama, UGA, but we may turn it around one day.  Can your program?

44 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd love to see the Top 10-15 programs just go have their own division and championship.

UT

OU

Bama

LSU

Georgia

Ohio State 

Michigan

Penn State

USC

Notre Dame

Tennessee

Clemson

There's 12.  Just play it like a 12 team conference with some rotational games, and have your CCG on New Year's or whatever.  Everyone else reorganizes on a geographic basis and has divisions and playoffs in another division down that's basically comprised of your remaining P5 schools.  Then a division created out of the G5, and then FCS.

I'd stretch and make it 32.  Florida can be added for sure.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No...but that's due to our own incompetence. Of the four you highlighted though:

USC - I think we actually beat the last time we played them

Bama - lost by 1. Sort of got hosed by the refs.  Before you say bias, if a guy who has no attachment like Reggie Bush says it, it may have some credence.

Georgia - We actually beat the last time we played with one of the worst coaches in the world (according to this board).  

Ohio St - I think we beat the last time we played.

How did Tech do against the last time they played the above?  We are at least 2 levels below Bama, UGA, but we may turn it around one day.  Can your program?

We beat Texas.  Thanks for making my point.

I just get a kick out of the folks who think if they say it enough times, Texas, being elite will come true.

we heard the same thing from A&M, and to their credit, they are a top-five team, almost every year… In their division.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Not exactly select company.  Everyone has beaten us since Mack left.  

I gotta ask, if you hate us so much, why do you spend so much time on our board?  

I'm not on Shaggytech.com telling their posters how shitty their program and town is.  Feel free to send me a venmo request to help you pay for stamps or a new shed.

Edited by closetohumping

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They turned their nose up at 5 reasonably large public schools with invested fanbases, solid to elite basketball programs (the defending champ and a school 2 years removed from playing for one), solid football programs, and 1 private school who just played for the national championship in football and has a strong basketball program.

Fucking idiots deserve their plight.

I suspect the Pac's biggest problem these days is listening to Cal and Stanford.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'd stretch and make it 32.  Florida can be added for sure.

Go 16.  Add Florida, Oregon, Aggy, and Florida State.

Everyone else left is more like each other than they are anyone up the chain in terms of finances, stadium size, ability to recruit, etc.  It leaves 50ish schools in the next division, that will end up being a really wild, entertaining race.  It cuts out the schools in the SEC and Big 10 that aren't any more valuable than the typical Big 12/Pac 12/ACC schools but just got lucky that they had wealthy parents who don't kick them out of the house.

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I suspect the Pac's biggest problem these days is listening to Cal and Stanford.

I don't even understand why those schools are still participating in college athletics.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Go 16.  Add Florida, Oregon, Aggy, and Florida State.

Everyone else left is more like each other than they are anyone up the chain in terms of finances, stadium size, ability to recruit, etc.  It leaves 50ish schools in the next division, that will end up being a really wild, entertaining race.  It cuts out the schools in the SEC and Big 10 that aren't any more valuable than the typical Big 12/Pac 12/ACC schools but just got lucky that they had wealthy parents who don't kick them out of the house.

I don't even understand why those schools are still participating in college athletics.

Stanford is great at college athletics, just not football.  And I think that's how they want it.  

I'd like to find a way to get to 32.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Stanford is great at college athletics, just not football.  And I think that's how they want it.  

I'd like to find a way to get to 32.

Why 32?  The back half of that 32 isn't any different than the schools left out.  They'll just be "leeches" in that division, profiting off the value of the 16 and getting beat by them.

Either go big tent or Prestige Worldwide.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Why 32?  The back half of that 32 isn't any different than the schools left out.  They'll just be "leeches" in that division, profiting off the value of the 16 and getting beat by them.

The Dallas Cowboys still need the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The Yankees still need the Brewers.  It's a Coop-etition.  Caught your "leeches" quote.  So cute.  And bitter.  

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

LEECHES! GRAVY TRAIN!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The Dallas Cowboys still need the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The Yankees still need the Brewers.  It's a Coop-etition.  Caught your "leeches" quote.  So cute.  And bitter.  

That doesn't make it false.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

I just get a kick out of the folks who think if they say it enough times, Texas, being elite will come true.

we heard the same thing from A&M, and to their credit, they are a top-five team, almost every year… In their division.

Live it up, I guess. 18-54 is a strong showing. The greatest win in Tech’s program history was a regular season game that didn’t even result in winning the conference. 

Texas’ recent putrid mediocrity is a microcosm of Tech’s entire existence. It’s appalling that Texas has been so underachieving and that needs to change. Even during the suck, Texas is 11-3 versus Tech. That’s not good enough because beating Tech is generally a given, but at least the roster is heading in the right direction now. 

CEC47A70-ED45-40CE-89B0-EA08D990259A.jpeg

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, &#x27;stache said:

LEECHES! GRAVY TRAIN!!

Gonna throw you a bone.  Cincinnati fans hate it when you call their team the Barecats.  

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Also true.

Someone will become the Brewers in Prestige Worldwide.

Need more than 10 Brewers though.  

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Live it up, I guess. 18-54 is a strong showing. The greatest win in Tech’s program history was a regular season game that didn’t even result in winning the conference. 

Texas’ recent putrid mediocrity is a microcosm of Tech’s entire existence. It’s appalling that Texas has been so underachieving and that needs to change. Even during the suck, Texas is 11-3 versus Tech. That’s not good enough but beating Tech is generally a given, but at least the roster is heading in the right direction now. 

CEC47A70-ED45-40CE-89B0-EA08D990259A.jpeg

Tech got scoreboard on us!!!!!!