Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

22 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

You can act like the Tech game isn't a big deal but the years that they play in Austin it's the biggest home game of the season. Not only is it always a sellout, but there are 10 of thousands of people here in town who don't even have tickets. 

I think we are close to capacity on most of our home games?  And I'm sure there are quite a few techtards looking to drive down to "party on 6th."  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can only speak to it regionally. Any ranked Big 12 matchup should could get a pretty good number in Texas and Oklahoma. I know I'll be watching. 

I doubt the Coasts and Chicago will give a shit, but hey they never did unless it was Texas - OU. 

Outside of ranked games, I'd be interested in following games : 

BYU - Baylor. Both really weird schools that shotgun caffeine free Dr. Pepper at tailgates. 

K State - Kansas. Decent rivalry for flyover country. 

Tech - TCU. The Battle for the Vacant Corner Office. 

Iowa State - Okie State. Surly Realignment Thread Blood Feud. 

Cincy - UCF. The Happy To Be Here Bowl. 

I guess TCU - Baylor if the Bears get good again. Usually a competitive game. 

Coug High vs... Nope I just can't get there. 

That is pretty dismal. Yet some in the thread will argue it's better than the ACC. 

ACC football isn’t better than the XII by any metric. XII ratings, attendance numbers and general fan interest in the XII footprint prove you wrong. Tech-UH is a good rivalry and Baylor vs any Texas based XII school and OSU moves the needle.

Edited by Macklemore

16 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

ACC football isn’t better than the XII by any metric. XII ratings, attendance numbers and general fan interest in the XII footprint prove you wrong. Tech-UH is a good rivalry and Baylor vs any Texas based XII school and OSU moves the needle.

Bro you been on hiatus for nearly a decade, get back to work wearing old men's clothes and shit..

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I think we are close to capacity on most of our home games?  And I'm sure there are quite a few techtards looking to drive down to "party on 6th."  

Tech was your best draw in Austin in odd years and there's no denying it. BUT you know from history that the Aggie game did the same thing in Austin. And you know from recent history how 'Bama traveled. And I'm certain LSU will bring ten of thousands as well. Tennessee travels well and so do Ole Miss and Auburn. So Austin is likely to have two Hotel busting, campground filling crowds each and every year, rather that ONE every other year.

28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Haha. Would you rather watch Notre Dame - FSU/Clemson or the best available Big 12 game in 2024? 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

Tech was your best draw in Austin in odd years and there's no denying it. BUT you know from history that the Aggie game did the same thing in Austin. And you know from recent history how 'Bama traveled. And I'm certain LSU will bring ten of thousands as well. Tennessee travels well and so do Ole Miss and Auburn. So Austin is likely to have two Hotel busting, campground filling crowds each and every year, rather that ONE every other year.

Was my best draw?   Aren’t you a Texas fan?   

look we’ve sucked the last …checks watch…..15 years and we still draw well.  And our schedule…by and large has also sucked.  I’m too lazy to look over our game by game attendance but if you’re saying the tech game sells out, so be it.  Maybe it’s because it replaced the aggy game? Idk.  I suspect we’ll draw the same whe Florida comes around.  

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can only speak to it regionally. Any ranked Big 12 matchup should could get a pretty good number in Texas and Oklahoma. I know I'll be watching. 

I doubt the Coasts and Chicago will give a shit, but hey they never did unless it was Texas - OU. 

Outside of ranked games, I'd be interested in following games : 

BYU - Baylor. Both really weird schools that shotgun caffeine free Dr. Pepper at tailgates. 

K State - Kansas. Decent rivalry for flyover country. 

Tech - TCU. The Battle for the Vacant Corner Office. 

Iowa State - Okie State. Surly Realignment Thread Blood Feud. 

Cincy - UCF. The Happy To Be Here Bowl. 

I guess TCU - Baylor if the Bears get good again. Usually a competitive game. 

Coug High vs... Nope I just can't get there. 

That is pretty dismal. Yet some in the thread will argue it's better than the ACC. 

BYU v TCU games could get spicy. We have history and beef there. Both teams would need to be ranked and the game would need to have some implications, but there is potential.

BTW, caffeinated sodas are now available at BYU.

spacer.png

Edited by Crockett

1 hour ago, CustersDoctor said:

Also Oklahoma state was our highest attended game

On 5/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, CustersDoctor said:

You can act like the Tech game isn't a big deal but the years that they play in Austin it's the biggest home game of the season. Not only is it always a sellout, but there are 10 of thousands of people here in town who don't even have tickets. 

The last Tech game I went to was a few years ago on Thanksgiving and the stadium was not even close to full. 

Baylor-TCU is a rivalry with history. It’s such a rivalry that they only played a couple of times in the 17 years that they weren’t  In the same conference. 

Baylor-TT is an event. They tried playing it in a neutral site (Jerryworld) a few years, but the fans hated that and they stopped. 

Really, for the B12 remnants, their biggest rivalry games aren’t in the conference:

WVU-Pitt

BYU-Utah

TT-TAMU

OSU-OU

ISU-Iowa

KU-Mizzou

Really, the B12 schools should do what ISU does and schedule a regular non-conference game with their rival. 
The only problem is that they have all (except ISU) adopted the Snyder schedule model where you schedule non-conference to be 3-0. 

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

This seems so obvious I seriously don't understand why the networks don't make this happen. Just going off one of the more recent "program value" estimates, the top 16 programs outside the SEC/BIG/ND would be:

1. Washington

2. Clemson

3. Stanford

4. Florida State

5. North Carolina

6. Oregon

7. Oklahoma State

8. Miami

9. Iowa State

10. NC State

11. Arizona State

12. Virginia

13. Virginia Tech

14. Utah

15. TCU

16. BYU

Going beyond 16 if necessary, or if some of the above make the BIG/SEC:

17. Baylor (fuck em, just going by the numbers here)

18. Cal

19. Pitt

20. Wake Forest (surprised how high this one is)

21. West Virginia (surprised how low this one is)

22. Duke

23. Texas Tech

24. Georgia Tech

I'm surprised how low KU, KSU are. Also CU and Arizona, who might be undervalued here from a network perspective. Either way, I think a 16 team conference of the "leftovers" would have greater value than the current ACC/XII/PAC as they are likely to exist after the next round. 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc

Can you imagine Mack bitching about UNC traveling to Seattle because it is bad for the kids?

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Wow. Just wow. Baylor vs any Texas B12 school is about as exciting and important as prom night at a 6-man high school.

• Haha 1

I live in Arlington and used to buy TCU season tix, keeping the Texas games and selling the rest. When TCU was really good, I could break even. When TCU was ordinary, they were big losses. 

TCU-BU, TCU-TT, pretty much TCU against everyone but the Kansas schools would sell for about $35 each in StubHub (face value was $50). TCU-KU and TCU-KSU would go for about $15 each. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. Would you rather watch Notre Dame - FSU/Clemson or the best available Big 12 game in 2024? 

The best Big 12 games won't match the best ACC games, but ACC games not involving their top brands are terrible.  I think the last time I watched an ACC conference game that didn't involve at least one of Clemson, Florida State, Miami or Notre Dame was when Louisville had Lamar Jackson, and I spend 12+ hours parked in front of multiple TVs on fall Saturdays.  From a neutral viewer's perspective, what Big 12 teams have going for them is they are usually pretty well-coached and running fun schemes with good QBs.  It also helps that most of their games are sold out or close to it with lively crowds.  I didn't think that was a big deal before 2020 but after a year of empty and 25% capacity stadiums this is important to the TV experience.  Most ACC teams aren't very well coached, they use boring playbooks and they might as well be playing on a rec field.

I'd watch Clemson/Notre Dame or Florida State/NC State or Miami/Virginia Tech before I'd watch most of the new Big 12 games.  But I'd watch any Big 12 game before I'd watch games like Wake Forest/Pitt or Syracuse/Duke or Virginia/Boston College.  Baylor/West Virginia and Kansas State/Texas Tech and Oklahoma State/Iowa State are all way more fun to watch than ACC games that don't have their top teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

First, we’ve seen first hand how aggy, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, and Alabama travel to Austin. Won’t be surprised to see Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee do the same, but this isn’t about getting opposing fans to visit, this is about getting our own fans to attend.

Many of us don’t live in Austin. A large contingent of our season ticket holders travel from DFW, Houston, and San Antonio for games. As someone who traveled to DKR from out of town for nearly a decade I can tell you that our Big 12 schedule was pretty much always trash but the #1 factor on whether I’d attend a game or not usually boiled down to the kickoff time or if it was a back to back weekend of home games 

11am kicks against a mediocre opponent on a back to back weekend usually was not well attended.

Tech was our highest attended conference game in both 2015 and 2017; and our lowest in 2019. Let’s see if you can spot the pattern.

2015 Lowest attended conference games at DKR were Okie St (230 kick but we had just played Cal in DKR the week before) and K State (11am kick the week after OU). Highest attended games were Tech and Kansas, both Primetime kicks neither part of a back to back.

2017 is basically the same story:
Highest: Primetime non back to back games against Tech/Kansas
Lowest: K State (Primetime kick week directly before OU) and Okie St (11am kick the week directly after OU) thanks Big 12!

In 2019 when Tech was our lowest attended conference game, it was a 11am kick. Shocking!

If you remove outliers of the 2020 COVID year and an amazingly sparse game where we played K State the day after Thanksgiving in 2021 on the heels of a 6 game losing streak, our attendance between our best and worst game each year only fluctuates between 3-10k people.

We packed in 93,000 people to watch Louisiana Tech for fucks sake, bragging that Tech was our best “draw” only further emphasizes why we needed to make this move in the first place. Absent a horrific losing streak we still pack in 85-90k fans even with 11am kicks in back to back weeks with crap opponents.

So I will absolutely deny that Tech was our “best draw in Austin” because, if you noticed in those years I highlighted above, our second “best draw in Austin” those same years was fucking a absolute trash Kansas Jayhawks team that went 0-12 and 1-11 respectively proving that any fucking school with a pulse could show up at DKR with a prime time kick that’s not part of a back to back and be our “best draw in Austin”.

The arrogance of Tech thinking they are somehow special to Texas will never cease to amaze me.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

The best Big 12 games won't match the best ACC games, but ACC games not involving their top brands are terrible.  I think the last time I watched an ACC conference game that didn't involve at least one of Clemson, Florida State, Miami or Notre Dame was when Louisville had Lamar Jackson, and I spend 12+ hours parked in front of multiple TVs on fall Saturdays.  From a neutral viewer's perspective, what Big 12 teams have going for them is they are usually pretty well-coached and running fun schemes with good QBs.  It also helps that most of their games are sold out or close to it with lively crowds.  I didn't think that was a big deal before 2020 but after a year of empty and 25% capacity stadiums this is important to the TV experience.  Most ACC teams aren't very well coached, they use boring playbooks and they might as well be playing on a rec field.

I'd watch Clemson/Notre Dame or Florida State/NC State or Miami/Virginia Tech before I'd watch most of the new Big 12 games.  But I'd watch any Big 12 game before I'd watch games like Wake Forest/Pitt or Syracuse/Duke or Virginia/Boston College.  Baylor/West Virginia and Kansas State/Texas Tech and Oklahoma State/Iowa State are all way more fun to watch than ACC games that don't have their top teams.

Those ACCs are all basketball schools.  So an apt comparison across conferences would be balanced by asking how a TCU-cOSU basketball game compares to UVa vs Duke. 

19 hours ago, 'stache said:

This seems so obvious I seriously don't understand why the networks don't make this happen. Just going off one of the more recent "program value" estimates, the top 16 programs outside the SEC/BIG/ND would be:

1. Washington

2. Clemson

3. Stanford

4. Florida State

5. North Carolina

6. Oregon

7. Oklahoma State

8. Miami

9. Iowa State

10. NC State

11. Arizona State

12. Virginia

13. Virginia Tech

14. Utah

15. TCU

16. BYU

Going beyond 16 if necessary, or if some of the above make the BIG/SEC:

17. Baylor (fuck em, just going by the numbers here)

18. Cal

19. Pitt

20. Wake Forest (surprised how high this one is)

21. West Virginia (surprised how low this one is)

22. Duke

23. Texas Tech

24. Georgia Tech

I'm surprised how low KU, KSU are. Also CU and Arizona, who might be undervalued here from a network perspective. Either way, I think a 16 team conference of the "leftovers" would have greater value than the current ACC/XII/PAC as they are likely to exist after the next round. 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc-here

There's so much talk about it that I already want to see the result. Personally I think all the changes are for the better. Whether it is or not, time will tell.

11 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Between COVID and the new spring minor leagues, it's really driven this point home.  I found the XFL - in particular St Louis, Washington, and Houston - far more watchable than the USFL and I don't think it had anything to do with player quality.

17 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Don't let your ignorance get in the way of your confidence. Good lord. Austin is a destination city for conferences and gatherings. Fans for a football team do not move the needle on hotel capacity. Holy shit that is a hawt take. Beyond that idiocy, the Tech argument is flat out wrong, and laughably so. You seem too stupid to educate, so it's almost worth crowdsourcing you now before it gets worse. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Aww. Did the B10 hurt their feelings? Is there not enough PAC-affirming care?

I forget where, but a few days back I read some B10 boot-licker mediots declaring that the B1G was avoiding taking UW and UO because they didn't want to be seen as the ones that killed off the PAC.  But they'd be okay with the B12 doing it.  As if, taking USC and UCLA wasn't already the death blow.  Laughable.

Somehow I'm sure they'll end up blaming Texas for all of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Wow. Just wow. Baylor vs any Texas B12 school is about as exciting and important as prom night at a 6-man high school.

And yet probably 2M people would tune in to watch, especially now that UT and OU won't be occupying all the better timeslots.  

Until Texans and Okies care less about CFB, the new Big 12 will be fine.  It's gonna be the junior varsity version of "it just means more."  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

And yet probably 2M people would tune in to watch, especially now that UT and OU won't be occupying all the better timeslots.  

Until Texans and Okies care less about CFB, the new Big 12 will be fine.  It's gonna be the junior varsity version of "it just means more."  

In 2021, OSU's highest rated game outside of U/TX was v ISU, drew 2.8 million. OSU v Tech later that year drew 2.1 million. I have the chart saved somewhere and posted it here eons ago. It was basically that our highest rated games were about 50%-75% that of our games v. UT/OU, and we now see that our payout will be about half or a little more than OU/TX/SEC. The numbers make sense. 

Also notable is that OSU-Baylor CCG game drew I think 8 million viewers, double the ACC and PAC title games. KSU-TCU last year drew I think 9 million, also way above PAC and ACC. It certainly helped that both were really close games with exciting endings. There is interest, especially when it matters. As long as the Big 12 has an automatic playoff bid, the games will be relevant, and draw enough viewers to keep the networks happy with the deal we were able to reach.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

In 2021, OSU's highest rated game outside of U/TX was v ISU, drew 2.8 million. OSU v Tech later that year drew 2.1 million. I have the chart saved somewhere and posted it here eons ago. It was basically that our highest rated games were about 50%-75% that of our games v. UT/OU, and we now see that our payout will be about half or a little more than OU/TX/SEC. The numbers make sense. 

Also notable is that OSU-Baylor CCG game drew I think 8 million viewers, double the ACC and PAC title games. KSU-TCU last year drew I think 9 million, also way above PAC and ACC. It certainly helped that both were really close games with exciting endings. There is interest, especially when it matters. As long as the Big 12 has an automatic playoff bid, the games will be relevant, and draw enough viewers to keep the networks happy with the deal we were able to reach.

What about last season?

51 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

This is a great point.   Not many of the teams in the B12 got the key spots of their contract, unless they were playing Texas and OU.   It will be interesting to see what occurs when that opportunity is provided.   They'll either grow or die.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thanks for admitting what we all knew, you suck shit through a straw as a program.

Lol, cool story bro. You might want to share your keen insight with ESPN and Fox for their massive financial error.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This is a great point.   Not many of the teams in the B12 got the key spots of their contract, unless they were playing Texas and OU.   It will be interesting to see what occurs when that opportunity is provided.   They'll either grow or die.

They’ll lock up a really good spot on FOX that likely was mostly dedicated to UT/OU previously, which should raise their average for each of the R8. Even if they lose spots on ABC and end up on ESPN more, they’ll still come out ahead, which is why I think ultimately they’ll landed Colorado and Arizona.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I forget where, but a few days back I read some B10 boot-licker mediots declaring that the B1G was avoiding taking UW and UO because they didn't want to be seen as the ones that killed off the PAC.  But they'd be okay with the B12 doing it.  As if, taking USC and UCLA wasn't already the death blow.  Laughable.

Laughable describes it perfectly.

If the PNW schools added value, the BIG wouldn't have hesitated to take them at any time over the last 11 months.

The idea is so ridiculous , I wonder if this is part of the destabilization campaign to keep PAC members nervous.

Most of the campaign has been directed at the 4C schools- keep them on edge with constant rumors of the PNW schools going BIG.

Could this be aimed at the PNW schools ?  "Keep dragging your heels on a GOR.  As soon as the 4C leave, the BIG will be ready to scoop you up."

The longer this plays out, the more likely the 4C schools are to jump, which in turn makes UW and UO to the B12 a possibility.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

That's a good way of looking at it.  The numbers do make sense, and even moreso if you factor in two more things:

1. There's a bit of a premium in the deal to grease the wheels for UT and OU to the SEC a year early.  That's just smart business for everyone. 

2. By paying the B12 at this rate, it becomes easy to kill the PAC by lowballing them.  Schools will essentially be forced to jump.  If they get CU, UA and ASU, when you combine them with BYU, you've got enough late-night games to give ESPN the "After Dark" window by only paying 3 PAC teams instead of 10.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thanks for admitting what we all knew, you suck shit through a straw as a program.

He's a good poster and brings solid insights to the board. You should get your shit together and try it some time, dufus.

3 minutes ago, Crockett said:

You know OSU has a much better record than UT over the last decade lol?

Do you honestly think this needs to be posted on this board? We know fully fucking well how Texas has fared over the last 13 seasons. You're an interloper here and you should consider accounting for that.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

That's a good way of looking at it.  The numbers do make sense, and even moreso if you factor in two more things:

1. There's a bit of a premium in the deal to grease the wheels for UT and OU to the SEC a year early.  That's just smart business for everyone. 

2. By paying the B12 at this rate, it becomes easy to kill the PAC by lowballing them.  Schools will essentially be forced to jump.  If they get CU, UA and ASU, when you combine them with BYU, you've got enough late-night games to give ESPN the "After Dark" window by only paying 3 PAC teams instead of 10.

And I love that you left out UU in that.  I didn't know or think much about Utah before all this happened, but I have grown to dislike their fanbase quite a bit the past few months.  They appear to be more delusional and arrogant than aggy...and that's saying something.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

In 2022, OSU's game with K-State had 3.38M viewers.  The TCU game had 2.14M viewers. The Baylor game had 2.41M viewers.  OSU-Tech had 1.63M viewers on FS1 at 3:30 opposite the SEC game of the week.  There were some dumpster fire totals in there, too, but they were in bad windows (FS1/ESPNU) mostly.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings

The Big 12 should be in pretty good shape going forward.  Football is a regional sport, with regional audience mostly,, and the Big 12 is located in a rabid CFB territory.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

54 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

They’ll lock up a really good spot on FOX that likely was mostly dedicated to UT/OU previously, which should raise their average for each of the R8. Even if they lose spots on ABC and end up on ESPN more, they’ll still come out ahead, which is why I think ultimately they’ll landed Colorado and Arizona.

Seems like pairing up the blue bloods and fencing them off into two conference will be a net negative for the sport.   Bama-TX will no longer be a game we wait 30 years to see but another conference rotation and thus no 11 million viewers.  So that modest bumb is more than cancelled out by the loss of attention for @40 left behinds. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

OSU is one of the more viable schools for the conference long term. I was specifically referencing Baylor. A small private school in a shitty town with historically terrible sports run by a bunch of criminals and low life scum. The last decade has been a golden era for them in terms of success, but that is still not enough for them to move any sorts of needles from a television perspective. People would really only be tuning in during the better time slots to watch rankings should they be in the top 25, not the school itself. And if they are put adjacent to a major B1G or SEC game, then just kiss that ratings bump goodbye. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

In 2022, OSU's game with K-State had 3.38M viewers.  The TCU game had 2.14M viewers. The Baylor game had 2.41M viewers.  OSU-Tech had 1.63M viewers on FS1 at 3:30 opposite the SEC game of the week.  There were some dumpster fire totals in there, too, but they were in bad windows (FS1/ESPNU) mostly.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings

The Big 12 should be in pretty good shape going forward.  Football is a regional sport, with regional audience mostly,, and the Big 12 is located in a rabid CFB territory.  

Other than Tech those were all rank v ranked games, while it’s undoubtedly a good indicator, it is not a sustainable metric of success.

I’ll say it again, 3 things drive college football:
nationally relevant rivalries
big time brands
ranked v ranked matchups

You can get lucky with rankings occasionally but that doesn’t drive value that will be recognized by the networks

When FOX and ABC have ranked v ranked games to put on TV the Big 12 looks good, but what will the ratings look like when you don’t have a great ranked v ranked game of the week, or an undefeated team that draws national interest?

For the answer you can look at the PAC12 who despite being OTA nationally on FOX they were only the 7th most watched game of the week behind games on cable.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

They're very much about internal PR.

2 years ago, the evil SEC/Disney Empire was attempting to destroy college football by destroying the B12 and taking their two best programs to the SEC.

Thankfully for everyone, the B1G being the Leaders and Legends that they are, formed The Alliance™ to organize OOC competition, block playoff expansion, and to promise to not poach each other, though oddly enough, they excluded the B12.  

Since that time, they've poached 2 teams from the Pac 12 and have cancelled OOC games with other The Alliance™ members, oh and they were good with the playoff changes once they got the LA schools.

At this point, I think they've given up on fooling everyone else... they are just happy fooling their own fans who have all developed amnesia from the year of The Alliance™.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

And I love that you left out UU in that.  I didn't know or think much about Utah before all this happened, but I have grown to dislike their fanbase quite a bit the past few months.  They appear to be more delusional and arrogant than aggy...and that's saying something.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, as aggy seems to be in a world of their own, but the fact that we're even discussing it speaks volumes.

Utah fans are completely delusional, and their arrogance is hilarious- they've won back to back PAC titles in a historically weak conference, but in their eyes, it only shows how powerful the program has become.  

They don't seem to understand that until they can beat OSU's B-team, win a game vs a mediocre UF squad in the Swamp, or beat "3rd place in BIG" PSU in a watered-down Rose Bowl, they are nowhere near the top tier of the sport.  

They've beaten Mario C's overrated Ducks and a USC team that was rebuilt on the fly after nearly 15 years of neglect and incompetence (and still has an incompetent DC), but had Utah on the ropes until the QB pulled his hammy.

They've accomplished nothing but moving up and improving their program in the worst "Power Conference" over the last 12 years.  Kudos to Whittingham- he does a great job there, and getting them to this point is a huge accomplishment for him.  But their fans act like they've been winning the BIG or SEC.

//

I fully expect Utah to go down with the PAC ship.  Their admin's public statements have been the most aggressively pro-PAC outside of maybe WSU and the Beavs.  They clearly like the "prestige" of being in the PAC.  Their fans talk about how being in the PAC got them into the AAU and increased their research $ substantially.  If that's how their big cigars feel also, I don't see where the impetus to move would come from.  Their fans are now telling themselves how great an all-streaming media package would be.  😂

Like the Zeros from Eugene, they celebrate the idea of an easy path to the playoff, and don't seem to want any part of the B12.  They also seem to think that being in the PAC gives them a way to look down on BYU.  (Narrator:  "It doesn't.")

I think the only thing that would change UU's desire to be in the PAC would be if the other 4C schools AND the PNW schools went to the B12.  At that point, there would be no value in the conference.  There's not a lot of value currently, but it might be enough that UU can tell themselves they're smart to stay.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Seems like pairing up the blue bloods and fencing them off into two conference will be a net negative for the sport.   Bama-TX will no longer be a game we wait 30 years to see but another conference rotation and thus no 11 million viewers.  So that modest bump is more than cancelled out by the loss of attention for @40 left behinds. 

Bama/LSU/Ole Miss/Arkansas make up only 5 of our OOC games in the last 10 years. There are still plenty of quality teams outside of the SEC that will bring in eyeballs: ND, tOSU, Mich, Pedo, Wisc, Neb, Mich St, USC, UCLA, FSU, Clem, UNC, Miami, VT, Ore, Wash

The ones in bold are teams we’ve played recently or already have on the schedule.

I don’t see this as a loss of the general fan. Even if you lose the blockbuster 10 million viewer game every few years this will likely attract more 4 million viewer games that Texas and Oklahoma haven’t been able to consistently do with our Big 12 schedules.

Consistent premium quality is better for fans than getting a blockbuster once every half decade of so. I’d rather fuck the hottest milf at the country club every week than hold out for a super model every five years.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/the-4-million-club/97791125/

13 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

Their fans talk about how being in the PAC got them into the AAU and increased their research $ substantially. 

That line of thinking just blows my mind.  Maybe being in the PAC got them the nomination/sponsorship from a PAC AAU school and the votes from other PAC AAU schools, but the way the AAU works is you have to have the research dollars first to even qualify to be nominated.  Joining an athletic conference does not provide a mechanism to increase your research dollars.  And I seriously doubt Cal, Stanford, or one of the other AAU PAC schools gave a shit that Utah was in their athletic conference when it came time for AAU consideration.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems the AAU thing is only related to athletic conference alignment if you have it to begin with.

• Hook 'Em 2