Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shit. I remember being so excited about CU preparing to bolt at that time. It meant that Baylor would be boxed out of trying to tie themselves to a PAC 16 move with us, Tech, ATM, OSU, and OU. What a fucking kick to the nuts the entire thing turned out to be for everyone involved following that. 

I was also excited.  It would have been great, and I was really bummed when it cratered, because I knew the PAC had no other options.

We were even posting about what a colossal mistake that was on the Shaggy thread even as it was happening.

I'm fine with where it all ended up though.  I'm looking forward to watching UT and OU vs the SEC powers, aggy and arky.  And I love that SC will be playing the BIG teams we've been competing against in the Rose Bowl since I was a little kid.

I think it would have eventually played out this way anyway, as aggy would have left the PAC for the SEC at some point.

Their inferiority complex/little brother syndrome was always going to compel them to get away from UT, and their "unique culture" was always going to draw them to the SEC.  

Looking forward to seeing you guys kick their asses on Thanksgiving night again.  That was a great tradition.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's a bullying tactic to try to create concern for BOR folks at Colorado/Arizona/Oregon/Washington should they vote to move on elsewhere. It's patrician bullying driven by Stanford and/or Cal, I think. Unfortunately for them, Colorado people aren't going to get worked up over "optics" and I doubt Arizona or Oregon people would either. If there's a better, concrete deal with a seemingly competently run and stable conference on the table, that option keeps looking better and better by the day. 

100%

I'm sure Klownkoff is behind some of this also, as he's out of a job (or will have to take a massive paycut) once his contract expires if the PAC becomes MWC 2.0

He's made one huge mistake after another since he started in the job.  Just like his predecessor.

6 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

I was also excited.  It would have been great, and I was really bummed when it cratered, because I knew the PAC had no other options.

We were even posting about what a colossal mistake that was on the Shaggy thread even as it was happening.

I'm fine with where it all ended up though.  I'm looking forward to watching UT and OU vs the SEC powers, aggy and arky.  And I love that SC will be playing the BIG teams we've been competing against in the Rose Bowl since I was a little kid.

I think it would have eventually played out this way anyway, as aggy would have left the PAC for the SEC at some point.

Their inferiority complex/little brother syndrome was always going to compel them to get away from UT, and their "unique culture" was always going to draw them to the SEC.  

Looking forward to seeing you guys kick their asses on Thanksgiving night again.  That was a great tradition.  

In hindsight, having Stanford, Cal, and USC do a road game to college station would have been high comedy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Good luck guys. Donde esta tu basketball game? 

Wonder if they have any sponsors lined up for that possible bowl game, the Cartel Bowl perhaps?

Also can't wait for the first NIL deal denominated in pesos...

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
College Kids getting Pesos

Jack Swarbrick to step down as Notre Dame AD, NBC Sports chair Pete Bevacqua tabbed as replacement

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick will step down from his role in 2024, according to Sports Illustrated, with NBC Sports Group chairman and Notre Dame alum Pete Bevacqua giving the athletic department a new boss for the first time since 2008. Swarbrick is expected to step down within the "first quarter" of 2024, though an exact date hast not been finalized, and Bevacqua is expected to transition into the athletic director role over time. He is expected to start, as of July 1, as a special assistant for athletics to Notre Dame president Reverend John Jenkins, in which Bevacqua will be mentored by Swarbrick until the transition is complete. 

"This is a dream come true," Bevacqua told Sports Illustrated. "With the exception of my family, nothing means more to me than Notre Dame. I don't have a memory in my lifetime, quite literally, where Notre Dame wasn't a part of it. At this stage of my life, I feel like everything I've done has prepared me for this.

"I didn't have a burning desire, necessarily, to be an athletic director," he continued. "I had a burning desire to be the athletic director at Notre Dame."

Swarbrick, 69, will leave a position he has held for 15 years. His tenure as Notre Dame athletic director included the hiring of football coach Brian Kelly, who guided the Fighting Irish to a BCS National Championship appearance during the 2012 college football season and later College Football Playoff appearances during both the 2018 and 2020 seasons. Kelly left to become LSU's coach in late 2021.

The year before the contract is up.   Replaced with an NBC exec.   Irish to the Big Ten here we come!

Just now, thunderlounge said:

Pepto-Bismol Bowl

If they don't call it either the Taco or Burrito Bowl what are we even doing here?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Jack Swarbrick to step down as Notre Dame AD, NBC Sports chair Pete Bevacqua tabbed as replacement
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick will step down from his role in 2024, according to Sports Illustrated, with NBC Sports Group chairman and Notre Dame alum Pete Bevacqua giving the athletic department a new boss for the first time since 2008. Swarbrick is expected to step down within the "first quarter" of 2024, though an exact date hast not been finalized, and Bevacqua is expected to transition into the athletic director role over time. He is expected to start, as of July 1, as a special assistant for athletics to Notre Dame president Reverend John Jenkins, in which Bevacqua will be mentored by Swarbrick until the transition is complete. 
"This is a dream come true," Bevacqua told Sports Illustrated. "With the exception of my family, nothing means more to me than Notre Dame. I don't have a memory in my lifetime, quite literally, where Notre Dame wasn't a part of it. At this stage of my life, I feel like everything I've done has prepared me for this.
"I didn't have a burning desire, necessarily, to be an athletic director," he continued. "I had a burning desire to be the athletic director at Notre Dame."
Swarbrick, 69, will leave a position he has held for 15 years. His tenure as Notre Dame athletic director included the hiring of football coach Brian Kelly, who guided the Fighting Irish to a BCS National Championship appearance during the 2012 college football season and later College Football Playoff appearances during both the 2018 and 2020 seasons. Kelly left to become LSU's coach in late 2021.
The year before the contract is up.   Replaced with an NBC exec.   Irish to the Big Ten here we come!
If they don't call it either the Taco or Burrito Bowl what are we even doing here?

The “Both Tacos Bowl” brought to you by, Surly, where…

8 hours ago, USC Traveler said:

NSIAP, here's Josh Pate on the Longhorn Network and the failed PAC16.

He bangs on DeLoss Dodds and UT for killing the deal, but his projections about what could have happened are worth a watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

NSIAP, here's Josh Pate on the Longhorn Network and the failed PAC16.

He bangs on DeLoss Dodds and UT for killing the deal, but his projections about what could have happened are worth a watch.

I'm sorry but that video was garbage. I don't normally mind Pate, but I couldn't make it through 2 minutes of that revisionist history. 

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well USC and UCLA are going to get some big games. Shocked that Michigan is going to USC and Ohio State is going to UCLA. I figured those would be switched. 

Welcome to the BIG!!!  

Add those games to ND at home and LSU in Vegas- #1 SOS in the nation by a mile.

OSU, MSU and NU will be the following year I would imagine.

Wiscy will be very good under Fickell- would have rather had Wiscy and NU flipped to make the SOS more balanced each year, but not going to complain.  Might even mean we're getting Wiscy as an annual rival, which would be great.  Leaks are that it will be "flex-protect", but I like the uniformity of everyone getting three annual games.

Compare getting UM, Wiscy, and Iowa at home to last year's WACPAC home schedule for SC: ASU, Wazzu, Cal, CU.  It's a different solar system!!!

UT's home schedule should look similar once the SEC goes to 9 games.

PS- I thought we'd be playing in Ann Arbor or Columbus also, but I guess those schools wanted to start getting more CA recruiting exposure immediately.

Edited by USC Traveler

Just now, USC Traveler said:

Welcome to the BIG!!!  

Add those games to ND at home and LSU in Vegas- #1 SOS in the nation by a mile.

OSU, MSU and NU will be the following year I would imagine.

Wiscy will be very good under Fickell- would have rather had Wiscy and NU flipped to make the SOS more balanced each year, but not going to complain.

Compare getting UM, Wiscy, and Iowa at home to last year's WACPAC home schedule for SC: ASU, Wazzu, Cal, CU.  It's a different solar system!!!

UT's home schedule should look similar once the SEC goes to 9 games.

pS- I thought we'd be playing in Ann Arbor or Columbus also, but I guess those schools wanted to start getting more CA recruiting exposure immediately.

No, they were always going to give you guys a showcase game at home. I just figured Ohio State would be going to the Coliseum and Michigan would be going to the Rose Bowl. Better hope Riley gets that defense fixed. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

No, they were always going to give you guys a showcase game at home. I just figured Ohio State would be going to the Coliseum and Michigan would be going to the Rose Bowl. Better hope Riley gets that defense fixed. 

That makes sense.  Show the nation that the Coliseum and Rose Bowl are BIG Ten country now.

Re: the defense.  The BIG move makes this a make or break year for Grinch.  

He either turns it around and shows out like he never has before (doubtful), or he fails again and gets canned, with hopefully Jim Leonhard getting hired.

I have no belief in him, so I think the latter scenario is much more likely.

If I had to guess, I bet Texas and OU will get at least one great home game in the first year. If OU gets Florida as a rival, that will be a home game. I bet Texas gets either Georgia or Tennessee at home in the first year. We'll have just done a series with Bama and we already should be slated to go to LSU since we never were able to do our return game because of Covid. 

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Must be nice to be in a conference with proper academic, non-racist institutions.  One could only wish...

I love that I got a neg rep from Pilot's Error for saying non-racist institutions of higher learning were good things.  You stay gold man, don't ever change.  ;)  

24 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

That makes sense.  Show the nation that the Coliseum and Rose Bowl are BIG Ten country now.

Re: the defense.  The BIG move makes this a make or break year for Grinch.  

He either turns it around and shows out like he never has before (doubtful), or he fails again and gets canned, with hopefully Jim Leonhard getting hired.

I have no belief in him, so I think the latter scenario is much more likely.

My plausible dream scenario for Grinch is he improves the defense to the 50s overall range, which should be enough to make the playoff with Riley's offense, and some AD decides to make him their head coach.  With the portal and recruiting reinforcements I think that's a doable goal.  USC gets a CFP appearance with a QB capable of carrying a team to the title, the defense shows enough improvement to start tamping down the "USC doesn't play defense" narrative and Riley has to hire a new DC without the bad press of firing a DC.

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

If I had to guess, I bet Texas and OU will get at least one great home game in the first year. If OU gets Florida as a rival, that will be a home game. I bet Texas gets either Georgia or Tennessee at home in the first year. We'll have just done a series with Bama and we already should be slated to go to LSU since we never were able to do our return game because of Covid. 

SEC went with 8 conference games/1 rival, which means you and OU are each other's rival.

Just now, Trojan Man said:

My plausible dream scenario for Grinch is he improves the defense to the 50s overall range, which should be enough to make the playoff with Riley's offense, and some AD decides to make him their head coach.  With the portal and recruiting reinforcements I think that's a doable goal.  USC gets a CFP appearance with a QB capable of carrying a team to the title, the defense shows enough improvement to start tamping down the "USC doesn't play defense" narrative and Riley has to hire a new DC without the bad press of firing a DC.

SEC went with 8 conference games/1 rival, which means you and OU are each other's rival.

Oh, I know. I'm just thinking we'll get one of the big name teams coming to DKR and OU will get one coming to Norman. But it's definitely going to mirror the 3 permanents idea as far as scheduling. That way if it flips in 2025, they're ready to go. So I'd imagine Texas will get aggy in College Station, Arkansas in Austin. Texas OU will continue in Dallas. But Georgia or Tennessee is coming to Austin. OU will get Florida or Bama in Norman. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Man, that UCLA home schedule in 2025 is just so boring. At least they have Georgia in their OOC. 

'24 we'll have LSU and Michigan on the road and tOSU at the RB.  Uh oh.  And with Dante Moore in year 3, '25 could be an opportunity to make some noise.

Edited by Sbbruin

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Literally the last 8 colleges in the United States to enroll people of different races.  That still practice ostensible discrimination.  

Bro, we were the last all white football National Champions. We are the last who should be casting stones. And please stop derailing. 

• Haha 1