Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

The continued shuffling of conferences seems pretty pointless at this juncture.

At this point it's not even a fear of being left out thing.  You could guarantee me that ISU has a spot and I still don't really want to change.  College football is about playing the same schools, every year.  Half of our conference slate has been on our schedule for decades.  The Texas schools have been here almost as long as I can remember (I do have faint Big 8 memories in football, more vivid in basketball).  Even WVU and TCU feel broken in to me.

The Big 8 was where ISU belonged, and the Big 12 by extension.  I don't want to play schools on the west coast, and I don't want to play schools on the east coast.  Outside of a couple of the west division schools I don't give a shit about the Big 10 either.  I want to play the schools we've always played as long as possible.  We're making money.  The league isn't holding anyone back.  It's entertaining.  What point is there in changing?  Do any of the schools that left existing conferences seem all that happy, save for Aggy?  If the Big 12 blue bloods join the SEC West, they're going to lose a lot more games.  If they join the Pac 12 they're playing in a conference with shittier teams that no one cares about at midnight.  In what way is that really appealing?

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 6

If the business models change significantly, I really hope we can get Nebraska back, and maybe Arkansas to rekindle rivalry with Texas and start competitive games with OU and OSU (tons of Arky fans live in Oklahoma so it's a natural fit).  I'd even take Mizzou back to give KU its rival back.

I've said it a bunch of times, the worst part of this tv market nonsense is that rivals have been separated for a few extra bucks.  It's so incomprehensible to me that anyone thinks its a good idea to break up rivalries.  Aggy is the lone exception because their penis envy made them want to not get their ass kicked regularly by "tu" so they're happy getting their ass kicked regularly by bama and LSU because they get to claim relevance as sec.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If the business models change significantly, I really hope we can get Nebraska back, and maybe Arkansas to rekindle rivalry with Texas and start competitive games with OU and OSU (tons of Arky fans live in Oklahoma so it's a natural fit).  I'd even take Mizzou back to give KU its rival back.

I've said it a bunch of times, the worst part of this tv market nonsense is that rivals have been separated for a few extra bucks.  It's so incomprehensible to me that anyone thinks its a good idea to break up rivalries.  Aggy is the lone exception because their penis envy made them want to not get their ass kicked regularly by "tu" so they're happy getting their ass kicked regularly by bama and LSU because they get to claim relevance as sec.

I'm on board with all of this.  The business model is definitely changing.  Things like the Big 10 adding Maryland and Rutgers to force their network onto cable providers don't carry the value they did a decade ago.

That said, it's hard to predict where the business model is heading and what will be viable going forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

I think it's more likely that Mizzou would go Big 10 with KU in that scenario.

I know, but it's MUCH more fun to think about making a deal with SEC for UT/OU with the stipulation they kick out aggy to make room for OSU.  fun on so many levels.  

Their irrational hate for us and love of SEC/Bama.

i don't even hate aggy, just think they are fucking weird.  OU is another story,  I hate them so much I want them to go where we go so we don't ever lose sight of playing to beat them.  

• Like 1

If we stay in the XII, I think we need to aggressively pursue Arkansas and LSU. As a conference, we blend better with those two border states then any other additions we could add. As rivals, Arkansas is already a former rival and LSU alums are in all parts of east Texas. If the big XII can convince Fox to build a network for them that rivals the SEC and the B1G, they might be able to convince those two to come on board. The biggest issue would be to convince LSU and Arkansas that they would have equal voices in the room, they wouldn't lose money and things would not just be all about Texas and Oklahoma. Playing on the Alabama controls everything in the SEC narrative might be helpful. I think both of those schools would thrive in a new Big XII, especially Arkansas.

If the Big XII was somehow successful in pulling of this coup, I would fully expect the SEC to go after West Virginia and another school to maintain their game inventory for ESPN. If West Virginia leaves then you go after Nebraska, Colorado or one of the Arizona schools. 

NORTH

Oklahoma

Oklahoma state

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas state

Iowa state

SOUTH

Texas

Arkansas

LSU

TCU

Texas tech

Baylor

Setup some permanent rivals that make sense and that can be a conference that last for a long time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

If we stay in the XII, I think we need to aggressively pursue Arkansas and LSU. As a conference, we blend better with those two border states then any other additions we could add. As rivals, Arkansas is already a former rival and LSU alums are in all parts of east Texas. If the big XII can convince Fox to build a network for them that rivals the SEC and the B1G, they might be able to convince those two to come on board. The biggest issue would be to convince LSU and Arkansas that they would have equal voices in the room, they wouldn't lose money and things would not just be all about Texas and Oklahoma. Playing on the Alabama controls everything in the SEC narrative might be helpful. I think both of those schools would thrive in a new Big XII, especially Arkansas.

If the Big XII was somehow successful in pulling of this coup, I would fully expect the SEC to go after West Virginia and another school to maintain their game inventory for ESPN. If West Virginia leaves then you go after Nebraska, Colorado or one of the Arizona schools. 

NORTH

Oklahoma

Oklahoma state

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas state

Iowa state

SOUTH

Texas

Arkansas

LSU

TCU

Texas tech

Baylor

Setup some permanent rivals that make sense and that can be a conference that last for a long time.

0% Chance of happening but enjoyed the enthusiasm 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

0% Chance of happening but enjoyed the enthusiasm 

There's a 99% chance that nothing in this thread ever happens but if we're going to speculate about different scernerios, we might as well speculate on the ones that make the most sense. My overall point is that as a Texas fan, if we choose to stay in the Big XII then we should go after the schools that make the conference the strongest. We should think outside the box and not settle for the Cincinnati's of the world. If that's not what the conference wants to do then I think we need to pair up with Oklahoma and whoever else and join the SEC where all our natural geographical rivals reside. I know the fear is that a lot of the schools in the SEC don't care about academics but that's not true for most of them and Texas as an academic leader could change that perception very quickly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

There's a 99% chance that nothing in this thread ever happens but if we're going to speculate about different scernerios, we might as well speculate on the ones that make the most sense. My overall point is that as a Texas fan, if we choose to stay in the Big XII then we should go after the schools that make the conference the strongest. We should think outside the box and not settle for the Cincinnati's of the world. If that's not what the conference wants to do then I think we need to pair up with Oklahoma and whoever else and join the SEC where all our natural geographical rivals reside. I know the fear is that a lot of the schools in the SEC don't care about academics but that's not true for most of them and Texas as an academic leader could change that perception very quickly.

If by chance, attempts at acquisition of members of SEC (Missouri/Arkansas), B1G (Nebraska), PAC (Colorado/Arizona/Arizona State) are unsuccessful...
One option for the members of the XII would be in adding the large population in states of #7Ohio & #4 Florida, and the "Notre Dame-esq" followers of BYU:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

NORTH

Oklahoma

Oklahoma state

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas state

Iowa state

SOUTH

Texas

Arkansas

LSU

TCU

Texas tech

Baylor

If you want to play LSU and Arkansas, it makes more sense to join the SEC West.  As discussed, bring OU and OSU with you, and Mizzou can join the Big 10 with KU.  Yeah, fuck aggy, but UT-aggy should be played again anyway.  I would support this plan out of self-preservation, if nothing else.

I maintain that the Big XII should add BYU and CSU and enter into a scheduling and media agreement with the PAC 12.  Each team plays 8 conference games (5 intra-division round robin, 3 cross-division) and two cross-conference games (one home one away each year).  That leaves two open dates for permanent rivalries and G-5/FBS opponents.  Big 12 teams would only likely face one potential PST game (with possible very late kickoff).  

Both sides would enjoy a SOS boost and each get exposure in broader territory.  The PAC12 Network can become the Big-Pac Network or the Western College Sports Network or whatever.  Each school would be entitled to keep their Tier 3 rights and go their own way.  The network will be for those who want to opt in, and it can include coaches shows and other stuff from everyone.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

Oddly, my fantasies tend in other directions

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

If you want to play LSU and Arkansas, it makes more sense to join the SEC West.  As discussed, bring OU and OSU with you, and Mizzou can join the Big 10 with KU.  Yeah, fuck aggy, but UT-aggy should be played again anyway.  I would support this plan out of self-preservation, if nothing else.

I maintain that the Big XII should add BYU and CSU and enter into a scheduling and media agreement with the PAC 12.  Each team plays 8 conference games (5 intra-division round robin, 3 cross-division) and two cross-conference games (one home one away each year).  That leaves two open dates for permanent rivalries and G-5/FBS opponents.  Big 12 teams would only likely face one potential PST game (with possible very late kickoff).  

Both sides would enjoy a SOS boost and each get exposure in broader territory.  The PAC12 Network can become the Big-Pac Network or the Western College Sports Network or whatever.  Each school would be entitled to keep their Tier 3 rights and go their own way.  The network will be for those who want to opt in, and it can include coaches shows and other stuff from everyone.

I think your proposed arrangement would satisfy a lot of folks, and would definitely make money.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:26 PM, camel at sea said:

Most of those people on the coast that you're referring to live north of D.C.  And north of D.C. how many of those people watch college football?  That  east coast TV market is fool's gold for college football.  Especially a college football conference largely based in the southwestern U.S.  It's dumb for the Big 12 to make decisions based on that market.  The Big 12's decision-making should primarily be driven by "how do I get DFW/Houston residents to turn on their TVs and watch this game?"  When that happens for us, our TV numbers are competitively nationally.  College football is regional.  The South watches the SEC.  The midwest watches the B1G.  Texas watches the B12.  California watches the PAC.  The whole country doesn't tune in for anything outside of the CFP.  

You *do* gain something if you add a team that helps you penetrate the Houston market a bunch of times every year.  You can't replicate that with an OOC game.  That consistent market presence is also how you flip Houston from a split market to a solidly Big 12 market.  

As for buzzworthy?  TCU wasn't buzzworthy.  But they're working.  

So...

RTG VWRS
(+ Stream)
GAME CONF DATE/TIME NET
4.2 7.232M
(7.328M)
OSU-TCU B1G, B12 9/15, 8:00p ABC
3.5 5.936M LSU-AUB SEC 9/15, 3:30p CBS
2.3 (4.109M) ALA-MISS SEC 9/15, 7:00p ESPN
2.2 3.346M
(3.434M)
OKLA-ISU B12 9/15, Noon ABC
1.8 2.950M USC-Texas P12, B12 9/15, 8:20p FOX
1.9 2.913M
(2.972M)
BYU-WISC IND, B1G 9/15, 3:30p ABC
1.4 2.108M VANDY-ND SEC, IND 9/15, 2:30p NBC
1.2 (1.869M) FSU-SYR ACC 9/15, Noon ESPN
1.0 (1.589M) WASH-Utah P12 9/15, 10:00p ESPN
n.a. (1.559M) College Gameday 9/15, 9:00a ESPN
0.85 (1.438M) Boise-OKST MWC, B12 9/15, 3:30p ESPN
0.7 1.079M HOU-TTU AAC, B12 9/15, 4:50p FOX

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

So...

RTG VWRS
(+ Stream)
GAME CONF DATE/TIME NET
4.2 7.232M
(7.328M)
2.2 3.346M
(3.434M)
1.9 2.913M
(2.972M)

Always find these numbers interesting.

ABC and CBS always seem to carry the higher numbers.

Question is it it because the matchups or casual CFB fan still doesnt turn to FOX when they think CFB?

I think Casual fan with Cable goes to ESPN... Then they turn to ABC/CBS.  Fox always an afterthought.

Just now, joeycovers said:

Always find these numbers interesting.

ABC and CBS always seem to carry the higher numbers.

Question is it it because the matchups or casual CFB fan still doesnt turn to FOX when they think CFB?

I think Casual fan with Cable goes to ESPN... Then they turn to ABC/CBS.  Fox always an afterthought.

Yeah they market the hell out of them.   Fox is always behind on nearly every big game.   The causal fans will go to ABC/ESPN/CBS first, NBC/Fox second, everything else because they are looking for a specific game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'm not sure CSU is a better option than Cinci, but overall that's not a horrible plan (college football is Colorado has a very limited following).

Solid ratings indeed, for TCU to be a part of, here are a few notes on the top 5 games/ stats on the top 12 matches:

RTG    VWRS
(+ Stream)    GAME    CONF    DATE/TIME    NET
#1- 4.2    7.232M (7.328M)    OSU-TCU    B1G, B12    9/15, 8:00p    ABC
The game featured the #4 Ohio State Buckeyes & #15 TCU Horned Frogs, broadcast at 7:00pm on ABC

#2- 3.5    5.936M    LSU-AUB    SEC    9/15, 3:30p    CBS
The game featured the #6 LSU Tigers & #9 Auburn Tigers, broadcast at 2:30pm on CBS

#3- 2.3    (4.109M)    ALA-MISS    SEC    9/15, 7:00p    ESPN
The game featured the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide & (nr) Ole Miss Landsharks, broadcast at 7:oopm on ESPN

#4- 2.2    3.346M (3.434M)    OKLA-ISU    B12    9/15, Noon    ABC
The game featured the #5 Oklahoma Sooners & (nr) Iowa State Cyclones, broadcast at 11:00am on ABC

#5- 1.8    2.950M    USC-Texas    P12, B12    9/15, 8:20p    FOX
The game featured the (nr) USC Trojans & (nr) Texas Longhorns, broadcast at 7:00pm on FOX (mirroring/ competing against a top 15 match on ABC)

Out of the top dozen matches, the XII had more teams in games rated than did the B1G at (XII- 5) (B1G- 3)
Given all that, the XII still had 4 teams in the top 5 games on last Saturday, 1 vs PAC/ 1 vs B1G/ 1 XII conference match, a solid week indeed..!

A comparison of attendance in stadium(s), between the schools of the ACC/ B1G/ SEC/ XII & PAC:

There are 13 members of the SEC *93% (out of 14 members), with better attendance than 50% of the B1G, with both Oklahoma & Kansas included...
There are 8 members of the ACC *89% (out of 14.5 members), with better attendance than 50% of the B1G, with both Oklahoma & Kansas included...
There are 8 members of the XII *80% (out of 10 members), with better attendance than 50% of the B1G, with both Oklahoma & Kansas included...
There are 8 members of the PAC *75% (out of 12 members), with better attendance than 50% of the B1G, with both Oklahoma & Kansas included...

*The only way that a "merger" of brands in the B1G & XII would work, would be if Texas was also involved in a move, otherwise, the moves do nothing,
other than destroy more long standing regional rivalries within the entire southwest/ midwest regions, of schools who have competed as foes for decades...

Edited by kopp0e

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

So...

RTG VWRS
(+ Stream)
GAME CONF DATE/TIME NET
4.2 7.232M
(7.328M)
2.2 3.346M
(3.434M)
1.9 2.913M
(2.972M)

So a crappy Houston-Tech game, with next to zero national buzz, still pulled in 1M+ viewers?  And that's while splitting the region for a lot of that broadcast with the OK State - Boise game.  

Other interest note from that chart.  Lots of Big 12 games.  

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

So a crappy Houston-Tech game, with next to zero national buzz, still pulled in 1M+ viewers?  And that's while splitting the region for a lot of that broadcast with the OK State - Boise game.  

Other interest note from that chart.  Lots of Big 12 games.  

The Houston Cougars also rated well in week 2 in viewers:

WEEK 2 COLLEGE FOOTBALL RATINGS
RTG VWRS
(+ Stream) GAME CONF DATE/TIME NET
- - - - - - - - - -
#6 - 1.7 2.539M ARIZ-HOU & GT-USF P12, AAC ACC, AAC 9/8, Noon ABC

Note: totals for the ACC have been corrected... 

There are 8 members of the ACC *55% (out of 14.5 members), with better attendance than 50% of the B1G, with both Oklahoma & Kansas included...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The Houston Cougars also rated well in week 2 in viewers:

WEEK 2 COLLEGE FOOTBALL RATINGS
RTG VWRS
(+ Stream) GAME CONF DATE/TIME NET
- - - - - - - - - -
#6 - 1.7 2.539M ARIZ-HOU & GT-USF P12, AAC ACC, AAC 9/8, Noon ABC

That's a split game, so 2.5m combined between both games.

Moves could still be afoot near 2025, that allow many rivalries to remain intact, in a PAC-XII superconference merger...

College Sports: UPDATED: How are former, newer Big 12 teams ...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/......mer-newer-big-...
Jul 15, 2018 - A quick look back: The Big 12 was born in 1996 when the remaining Southwest Conference schools -- Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech -- joined Big Eight schools Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa State.

College Sports: UPDATED: How are former, newer Big 12 teams ...

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...ger.../page-3/
Feb 24, 2018 - 20 posts - ‎11 authors
I get that you still have a bad taste in your mouth with the way A&M left the Big 12, but Texas (and OU) are still thriving in the Big 12 monetarily.

Restoring old Big8 & SWC rivalries, plus gain the strongest brands of the PAC, is just as possible for a 20 team league, of west coast/ southwest & midwest...

A conference containing multiple Thanksgiving weekend rivalries as:
Oklahoma-Nebraska
Texas-Arkansas
- - - - -
USC-UCLA
California-Stanford

These contest (& more), could be staggered across the weekend, and be a catalyst for the league championship...

Some worthy content, [content a powerful tech giant as Amazon would pay huge sums for] plus networks ESPN/FS1...

Amazon will be 'major disruptive force' to live sports rights: Analyst

https://www.cnbc.com/.../amazon-will...sports-rights-...
Mar 13, 2018 - Amazon and Facebook are likely to become major players in the battle for sports rights thanks to their large audiences and deep pockets, ...

A split of north/ south has a few advantages:
Somewhat akin to "cross pollination" of fanbases, as opposed to just being "2 leagues with same name"...
Old "Big8" fans in the north division have annual road trips to the Cascades & Golden State every year...
Nebraska can rebuild it's brand having access in conference to both California & Texas, in recruiting pipelines...
The key brands in the north aren't smothered in competing with OU & UT for a shot at the league championship game...
Old "Big8/ SWC" fans in the south division have annual road trips to the Mojave & Golden State every year...

Keep in mind, at one point current conference configurations proposed in say 1969 would look absurd to the average fan of the day...

This article might wind up being accurate someday:

Why The Big Ten Should Look at Buffalo For Expansion | Bleacher ...

Jun 3, 2009 - A lot of discussion has been made about the Big Ten expanding in the recent months. While most people suggest teams like Syracuse, ...

The State University of New York - Buffalo, would be a competitive addition to the B1G, as an AAU school in the state of New York:

UB rated No. 1 among New York's public universities in Wall Street ...

UB News Center-Sep 19, 2018
BUFFALO, N.Y. — The University at Buffalo is the No. 1 public university in New York State, according to the 2019 Wall Street Journal/Times ...

Haha...

If also paired with Connecticut, the Great Lakes conference is afforded an actual university in the state of New York, & add New England region...

Jeff Jacobs: UConn must break Power Five grip to survive - CTPost

Jan 6, 2018 - Photo: Alex Von Kleydorff / Hearst Connecticut Media ... and for a state worried that athletics at its flagship university are in peril, ... Forbes figured out the Big Ten got $89 million from bowls associated with the CFP this season.

Or, a "simple" addition of Connecticut to the east, and Missouri or Kansas to the west, giving Nebraska an old conference rival...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, a story on how not to screw up your historical school's athletic branding:

Arkansas- post move from SWC... (an average fans' point of view)

Nebraska-post move from XII... (an average fans' point of view)

Since 1900, the trajectories of Texas/ Oklahoma & Arkansas/ Nebraska have went in different directions, as the Razorbacks & Cornhuskers lost their main historical rivals due to searching for higher revenue from television...

In the case of Arkansas, it was to join the SEC & take part in the new conference championship game format... In the case of Nebraska, it was to join the B1G & take part of the payouts from the BTN (tied to a shifting cable/satellite subscription model)...

Years OU & UT missed playing each other, since 1900: (8x)- 1918_1920_1921_1924_1925_1926_1927_1928/

Years Texas & Arkansas missed playing each other, since 1900: *[not counting 1894] (42x)-

1900_1901_1902_1904_1909_1910_1913_1914_1915_1918_1920_1921_1922_1923_1924_1925_1926_1927_1930_1931_1992_1993_1994_1995_1996_1997_1998_1999_2001_2002_2005_2006_2007_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013_2015_2016_2017_2018/

Years Oklahoma & Nebraska missed playing each other, since 1900: (33x)-

1900_1901_1902_1903_1904_1905_1906_1907_1908_1909_1910_1911_1913_1914_1915_1916_1917_1918_1920_1926_1927_1998_1999_2003_2007_2011_2012_2013_2014_2015_2016_2017_2018/

In the most recent listing of the USA Today re-ranking of NCAA teams from #1 to #130, the Sooners rank #7/ the Longhorns rank #18, while the Cornhuskers rank #94/ the Razorbacks rank #97... Sometimes #RevenuesOverRivalries has a few obvious drawbacks...

Included with losing traditional conference rivals, added to "bad coaching hires", which could be partly seen as in having a tougher time recruiting in an era that has seen both Oklahoma & Texas in periods of solid resurgences, while still having each other as main rivals has negatively impacted the members in the better branded SEC- UA & B1G- NU...

In a few years, the ramifications of conference realignment will make some former rivalries seem as far fetched as the old Marvel/ DC crossover comics...

What, a Cornhusker fan would rather for Nebraska to be in the XII.?!

Meh, but my actual point in this post is to convey how the SEC & B1G brands battled in a remarkable contest, helping to propel the victor to the eventual XII conference championship, 20 years ago to the year:

Just another reason chasing revenue has forever altered the rivalries of college football...

• 2 weeks later...

Playing a B12 title game after a round robin will be the catalyst imo to expand.  Houston and BYU will be added, UH to the South and BYU to the north and we'll have a 2 Division format.  Re-up a 10 year deal with the networks.  It's possible we go to 8 conference games, but likely 9 holds. 

South:   Texas, OU, OSU, Baylor, Tech, UH

North: BYU, TCU, WVU, ISU, KSU, KU

Edited by jdhorn92

I find it interesting that many of the teams that were being discussed are having great years so far.  UH,UCF, Cin and USF. Curious how those records would look with a B12 schedule this year. 

If it was me i would try 2 things. 

1. Go hard after the Arizona Schools and bring back Colorado. Then add in BYU for 14. Place them in a div with TCU,TT and Ok St. 

or if that isn't an option

2. Just add UCF,UH,BYU and Cin. 

Wildcard is UNLV. They will be playing in a brand new NFL stadium soon. Rotating B12 title game between it and JerryWorld will be huge plus for the Conf.  In this scenario you have to add a Western footprint. 

To be honest, we are not getting any P5 team's. Also, we can't dilute the conf with 4 mid-majors.  Two spots open in the Big XIl imo. The best options seem to be:

Houston: former SWC member if SWC could be considered a power conf

BYU: P5 like kind of.

Technically speaking, both TCU and WV were power conference members before the Big East collapsed so we still have all power conference members. I am personally not fond of Houston and BYU.

I would rather add UConn and Cincinatti for hoops and travel partners for WV until the next realignment.

Big XII missed out on Pitt and Louisville when they were available.

We can probably dust this thread off and get ready for things to start heating up as the season starts to wrap up.

Things out west are getting interesting (for non PAC fans). Last year there were tons of rumors swirling around during the Texas vs USC game about a realignment meeting taking place. They were spiraling so fast that Scott had to publicly address the rumors to put them to rest. 

This years game had hints of a continuation of those talks taking place during the USC-Texas golfing event. Informal talks that are not PAC12 related...

Over the past 3 years, there has been a steady buildup of displeasure within the PAC12 schools over money compared to others, perception of strength for the playoff committee, failed network, unable to land Direct TV. 

It starting to reach a boiling point this off season but recent events serve ro only make the situation more volatile.

The leak of the replay fiasco and the "Leach texts" to yahoo severed the conference leadership from its members (intentional or not) when there was no support for the head office.

I will be shocked if he survives this offseason. But that doesn't solve the PAC issues which is probably the only reason they haven't fired him already.

For those still waiting on that PAC bus, not happening... Here is some reasons

All the P5 conferences distribute over 90% of the revenue between the schools other than the PAC who distributes around 78%.  The PAC schools received a little under 29 million last year of total revenue distribution where the B12 received over 34 million. That's a little over 5 million difference without t-3 deals factored in.  For Texas,  the total was close to 50 million, with OU, Kansas, and WV a little behind. The small schools in the big 12 are almost doubling what the Pac-12 network pays out...

For schools like Texas,  OU, and Kansas, the PACNetwork would have to double what the SECN pays out for us to only lose 3 million. And it just gets further apart from there. This year we are supposed to distribute 6.5 to 7 million more than the pack which is part of the problems with the pac. 

There are a lot of articles out there covering problems out west.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1612450/larry-scott-defends-pac-12s-shaky-year-eyes-future-changes-in-college-sports/?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2018/07/27/pac-12-needs-washington-savior-amid-concerns-leagues-future/844363002/?

https://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/commissioner-larry-scott-not-optimistic-getting-pac-12-networks-directv.html?

https://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index.ssf/2018/09/pac-12_commissioner_larry_scott_says_night_games_u.html?

There are serious money concerns. Concerns of the Arizona schools being targeted by the B12. Fears of Colorado wanting to go home and taking Utah with them...Which have led to some very revealing articles that don't portray a healthy conference.

Meetings with UH smells of desperation.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/video/university-houston-meeting-pac-12-expansion-way

ADs becoming vocal about falling further behind each year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/06/12/panic-pac-12-conference-quickly-falls-behind-rivals/686880002/?

National media starting to realize there are major problems out west that's threatened stability.

https://www.cbssports.com/g00/college-football/news/cracks-are-forming-in-the-pac-12-will-they-be-patched-before-its-too-late/?

Local media unquestioning stability...

https://thespun.com/pac-12/pac-12-networks-struggling-revenue

Local media placing teams in new homes.

https://thespun.com/big-12/conference-realignment-pac-12-breakup

A surprising article from USCs dedicated 247 site might be the most telling of all...

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/ITS-OVER-PAC-12-SO-FAR-BEHIND-IT-WILL-NEVER-CATCH-UP-119936857/?

But what could easily become the final nail is ATT sponsorship expires and negotiations are not bringing in DirectTV so Larry threatened to end the partnership...

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/pac-12/could-att-walk-away-from-the-pac-12-networks-and-take-directv-with-it/

The deal expired the end of August, but it seems an extension was agreed upon moving the date to November at which time ATT is expected by most to walk away and to pull PACNET from UVerse.

Compete breakdown with ATT could easily break the PaCamel's back.

SIAP:

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Conference-Re-alignment-future-football-Ohio-State-Texas-Oklahoma-Notre-Dame-Alabama-Michigan-SEC-Pac-12-Big-10-ACC--118642101/

Things could get interesting if tech giants get involved and start throwing around rediculous sums of money. It’d be hard for them to poach Long time SEC, Big 10 and ACC schools. But if the big 12 and pac 12 keep struggling, I’d be interested to see if amazon could pull off merging the powers of the two conferences. That’d leave the bottom feeders of the conferences to get picked up by the other three power 5 conferences, the mountain west, and the AAC.

If there is a shift towards 4 super conferences, I think Notre Dame would abandon their independence. If they go 11-1 this season and don’t make the playoff (which I expect), it’ll be hard for them to justify independence in the playoff era.

37 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

We can probably dust this thread off and get ready for things to start heating up as the season starts to wrap up.

Things out west are getting interesting (for non PAC fans). Last year there were tons of rumors swirling around during the Texas vs USC game about a realignment meeting taking place. They were spiraling so fast that Scott had to publicly address the rumors to put them to rest. 

This years game had hints of a continuation of those talks taking place during the USC-Texas golfing event. Informal talks that are not PAC12 related...

Over the past 3 years, there has been a steady buildup of displeasure within the PAC12 schools over money compared to others, perception of strength for the playoff committee, failed network, unable to land Direct TV. 

It starting to reach a boiling point this off season but recent events serve ro only make the situation more volatile.

The leak of the replay fiasco and the "Leach texts" to yahoo severed the conference leadership from its members (intentional or not) when there was no support for the head office.

inside texas humidor report

Spoiler

Eventual realignment: The word here is that with Greg Fenves at the helm the Pac 12 is the only option. A big issue in chancellor interviews was aligning the University with like-minded academic institutions. Realignment was a big topic when USC big-wigs made it to Austin in September. There were lots of alumni mixers and even a Ryder Cup styled golf event between big shots from each school. The Pac is a cultural fit, and academic fit, and the money will undoubtedly make sense. Does it get any better than Air B-n-B’ing at @Scipio Tex 's "flat" (that's what he calls it) for Stanford and Cal games? Now, what will CDC do about the time change???

My mind starting running this morning over realignment so I put something together that I thinks makes the most sense geographically while maintaining current rivalries and regional cultures. I ended with 4 conferences with 18 teams each, or 8 divisions with 9 teams each. I tried to put at least one "blue blood" in each division. There are currently 64 teams in the P5 conferences so 8 teams needed to be added - Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, USF, Boise State, Colorado State, UConn, and Cincinnati. Figured each team would play 10 conference games (8 divisional + 2 cross-divisional). Each conference champ would be guaranteed a spot in what would hopefully be a 8 team playoff.

Atlantic Coast Conference

North Division - Boston College, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

South Division - Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, South Carolina, UCF, USF

The North Division consolidates all the northeast schools and adds Penn State whose alumni base is concentrated on the East Coast (Philadelphia, NYC, DC) rather than the Midwest. The South Division trades Georgia Tech for South Carolina to make the respective in-state rivalries divisional games. UCF and USF are added to consolidate with the other two Florida schools.

Midwest Conference

East Division - Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia 

West Division - Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Wisconsin

The East Division consolidates regional basketball rivals Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, and Louisville and maintains the Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State rivalries. Pitt and WV are added to renew their rivalry. The West Division adds Notre Dame, Iowa State (natural rival with Iowa), and Missouri (natural rival with Illinois) to many of the current Big Ten West teams. Admittedly Notre Dame would not be wild about joining this group of teams, but too bad.  

Western Conference

East Division - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Utah

West Division - Boise State, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

The East Division is easily the worst from a football perspective, but it consolidates a bunch of current and former rivals. Nebraska is added to renew rivalries with KU/KSU/Colorado. BYU is added to create a rivalry game with Utah for 4 in-state rivalries within the division. The West adds Boise State who have a semblance of rivalries with the current pacific northwest teams.

Southeast Conference

East Division - Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West Division - Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

The East Division adds Georgia Tech to renew historical rivalries with UGA and Auburn. The West Division takes the Texas and Oklahoma teams and adds former SWC rival Arkansas and cultural fit, LSU. The UT/Aggy game gets back on the schedule and Aggy gets to play divisional games against actual rivals.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen Ross,  solid writer at Barking Carnival,  discusses the B12 TV viewership dilemma.

It’s been a crummy week – somebody broke into my car and stole my golf clubs – a capital offense if there every was one, and to fit my lousy mood I think it is time to once again beat a dead horse, AKA the Big 12’s long-term viability.

On the field the Big 12 is solid – two teams in the Top Ten (OU & W. Virginia) with #15 Texas and #16 Iowa State playing this week. That’s not the issue. The national perception of the league as a draw is. This is a top-heavy league with almost no middle-class when it comes to drawing viewer interest.

Take West Virginia. We know first hand how good they are. They play an exciting brand of offense, one that averages 41 points a game. And outside the league hardly anyone is watching. The Mountaineers have played on TV 9 times this season and the total viewership for all 9 games is 12,736,000.

Over 11,500,000 watched Alabama vs. LSU.

That 12,700,000 includes the 4,400,000 who watched the game against Texas a couple of weeks ago. That is at the heart of the problem for the league.

We are through 11 weeks of the season and eight of those have pretty much been dominated by intra-conference play. A look at the weekly ratings will quickly point out basic weakness or lack of depth in the Big 12.

Through these eight weeks only one time was a Big 12 game the most-watched contest of the week.

Can you guess what game it is? I bet you can.

Texas-OU had 5.6 million viewers week 6, with LSU-Florida next at 4.7 million. For the rest of the season the SEC has had the top-rated game four times, the Big 10 three.

But again the roots of the problem go deeper. Here is a look at the Big 12 games that drew the highest audiences each week and where they ranked. In week 4 TCU @ Texas was the most-watched Big 12 game at 2.9 million and it was 5th on the list.

In week 5 Baylor @ Oklahoma had 2.8 million viewers and it was 5th on the list for the week.

In week 7 Baylor @ Texas was seen by 1.8 million viewers and it was 9th on the weekly list.

In week 8 Oklahoma @ TCU (2.5 million) was 7th.

In week 9 Texas @ Oklahoma St. was 2nd with 3.5 million viewers. Next was Kansas St. @ Oklahoma at 10th.

In week 10 West Virginia @ Texas was third with Oklahoma @ Texas Tech at #7 with 3.1 million viewers.

Last week Oklahoma St. @ Oklahoma had 3.9 million (#4) while Texas @ Texas Tech drew 2.7 million (7th).

Notice a pattern anywhere? The most-watched Big 12 game not involving Texas or OU was the October 13th West Virginia @ Iowa St game. It drew 1.3 million viewers. That same day Nebraska @ Northwestern had 2.4 million watching.

The fact that Texas and Oklahoma are carrying the league when it comes to national exposure is no surprise. The idea of stealing teams from other Power 5 leagues is absurd and merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I do believe that things will get better because I have full faith in Chris Del Conte and others to find the best long-term home for our program.

Now if I can only find the SOB who stole my clubs.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/11/14/18095134/tv-ratings-the-canary-in-the-big-12-coal-mine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, torre said:

Stephen Ross,  solid writer at Barking Carnival,  discusses the B12 TV viewership dilemma.

It’s been a crummy week – somebody broke into my car and stole my golf clubs – a capital offense if there every was one, and to fit my lousy mood I think it is time to once again beat a dead horse, AKA the Big 12’s long-term viability.

On the field the Big 12 is solid – two teams in the Top Ten (OU & W. Virginia) with #15 Texas and #16 Iowa State playing this week. That’s not the issue. The national perception of the league as a draw is. This is a top-heavy league with almost no middle-class when it comes to drawing viewer interest.

Take West Virginia. We know first hand how good they are. They play an exciting brand of offense, one that averages 41 points a game. And outside the league hardly anyone is watching. The Mountaineers have played on TV 9 times this season and the total viewership for all 9 games is 12,736,000.

That 12,700,000 includes the 4,400,000 who watched the game against Texas a couple of weeks ago. That is at the heart of the problem for the league.

We are through 11 weeks of the season and eight of those have pretty much been dominated by intra-conference play. A look at the weekly ratings will quickly point out basic weakness or lack of depth in the Big 12.

Through these eight weeks only one time was a Big 12 game the most-watched contest of the week.

Texas-OU had 5.6 million viewers week 6, with LSU-Florida next at 4.7 million. For the rest of the season the SEC has had the top-rated game four times, the Big 10 three.

But again the roots of the problem go deeper. Here is a look at the Big 12 games that drew the highest audiences each week and where they ranked. In week 4 TCU @ Texas was the most-watched Big 12 game at 2.9 million and it was 5th on the list.

In week 5 Baylor @ Oklahoma had 2.8 million viewers and it was 5th on the list for the week.

In week 7 Baylor @ Texas was seen by 1.8 million viewers and it was 9th on the weekly list.

In week 9 Texas @ Oklahoma St. was 2nd with 3.5 million viewers. Next was Kansas St. @ Oklahoma at 10th.

In week 10 West Virginia @ Texas was third with Oklahoma @ Texas Tech at #7 with 3.1 million viewers.

Last week Oklahoma St. @ Oklahoma had 3.9 million (#4) while Texas @ Texas Tech drew 2.7 million (7th).

Notice a pattern anywhere? The most-watched Big 12 game not involving Texas or OU was the October 13th West Virginia @ Iowa St game. It drew 1.3 million viewers. That same day Nebraska @ Northwestern had 2.4 million watching.

The fact that Texas and Oklahoma are carrying the league when it comes to national exposure is no surprise. The idea of stealing teams from other Power 5 leagues is absurd and merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I do believe that things will get better because I have full faith in Chris Del Conte and others to find the best long-term home for our program.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/11/14/18095134/tv-ratings-the-canary-in-the-big-12-coal-mine

I wonder what the networks were on all those games. We all know we were exchanging cash for being on Fox. Perhaps the crappy viewership numbers on Fox submarine the conference in the next round of negotiations, but I get the sense Ross ignores that because he wants Texas out of the Big 12, so let's just ignore the fox in the room.

Unless the Big 12 offer craters compared to what the Pac and Big 10 get when they renegotiate, I think we stay put. OU getting out of the Big 12 would be the only other domino that might fall and we aren't going to help OU when it comes to leaving. The LHN may not survive beyond its contract and if it continues, it will never payout what it did under the current contract, but I don't see where we would go that would be a more favorable balance of being a big fish and making big media money. 

I still think a Pac co-media deal for T1/2 is the likeliest scenario, but I could also see the Big 12 reupping the T1/2 for 5 years at an amount between what the Pac/ACC and Big 10/SEC make.

41 minutes ago, torre said:

Ross is an idiot. Going west would kill Texas viewer numbers on the East Coast. Scheduling 10:45 starting times for a marquee match up after all of the east and Midwest games have wrapped up, and their fans have passed out is a bad idea. The only coverage would be ESPN’s football final which airs at midnight EST. Combined with that same little Network who controls both the narrative and pretty much the playoff selection is also located on the east coast means fewer eyeballs from those that matter. They will only see box scores and highlights. Thise just a few of the counter arguments that could be made why Texas should under no circumstances go West.

I get it, Ross loves southern cal. But people like me do not. And you’re fool hardy if you think Texas will be able to control that group out West when things get difficult. Regardless of who the commissioner may be. 

I would be willing to wager that both Colorado and Nebraska would return to the Big12 if such an opportunity presented itself. Their experience has been soured by not having a natural rival, and not being a good fit. And that doesn’t even take into account how fucking bad their football has been since they left.

8 hours ago, torre said:

He takes Alabama vs LSU...  With the run Alabama has had, most casual fans will watch the Alabama vs a real threat to beat them over a barely top 10 Texas vs a mid top 10 OU...  Especially since Texas has not been a name they've heard associated with anything positive in 10 plus years....

How do the numbers look say compared to a Georgia vs KU, or aggy vs Auburn?  Let Texas get back to being a top 5 or higher team a few years in a row with and talked about as a legit team to to take it all with 90% of its games on espn/ABC those numbers will come closer to resembling the Texas/ND numbers week in and week out. 

There are plenty of casual fans that know the Texas name and are UT friendly just based on VY shoving both USC and Bush up ESPNs ass.

But it's sucks as a UT faithful to watch years of misery played out weekly and not even slightly entertaining for the casual fan to watch a longhorns team that rarely sniffed the top 25 or even shitty bowl games for years...

But let Texas have a few years of being a legit threat with two or three playoff appearance and Alabama continue it's current pace, come the Alabama series, as long as both teams are highly ranked, I'll bet the numbers breaks records. 

Texas just needs to do its part. We have the upcoming schedules to put us back up towards the top of National Draws.

I am curious how the numbers this year compare to comparable games in the other (non  overy ESPN hyped SEC) conferences.  I do love how everyone wants to compare us to Alabama and not to the teams that have been playing more our level for years...  Michigan, Florida. USC, Penn St....  

7 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Ross is an idiot. Going west would kill Texas viewer numbers on the East Coast. Scheduling 10:45 starting times for a marquee match up after all of the east and Midwest games have wrapped up, and their fans have passed out is a bad idea. The only coverage would be ESPN’s football final which airs at midnight EST. Combined with that same little Network who controls both the narrative and pretty much the playoff selection is also located on the east coast means fewer eyeballs from those that matter. They will only see box scores and highlights. Thise just a few of the counter arguments that could be made why Texas should under no circumstances go West.

Not advocating either way but you clearly don’t get why the PAC wants Texas and OU (aside from the obvious), they want us because we are in the Central Time Zone and can have 11am start times.  Adding 11am start times would give the PAC games in all the time slots and would increase the value of their TV contracts more than just simply adding teams within their existing footprint.  The earliest game that will be played this year in the PAC is Colorado vs Utah and it’s at 12:30pm everything else is 1:30pm or later.

The PAC already has the vast majority of eyeballs on the Late time slot since they only compete with SportsCenter and the MWC and if you read a few post above you see the Texas and OU are as close as you can get to guaranteed ratings so they aren’t going to put us in the Late time slot as that would be extremely wasteful.  They want Texas and Oklahoma games to help them compete with the SEC/B1G and have our games in the midday and prime time spots especially when we plays the traditional PAC teams like USC, Oregon, and Washington.

If anything moving to the PAC would most likely guarantee us more 11am start times (because they’ll need someone to fill those spots) when we play our annual cupcake game or a lowly Central or Mountain time zone team but I would guess that the majority of that burden will fall on Tech and Okie State since their games are not as valuable.

Assuming it’s Texas/Oklahoma and Tech/OSU you’ll probably see something like this as a schedule for most weekends.

Early 11am Tech/OkSU/Utah games

Midday 2pm - UT/OU/USC unranked matchup with a close point spread

Evening 5pm - see above with a bigger point spread

Prime 7pm - Ranked v ranked matchup

Late 9pm - UW/UO/Stanford games

• Like 1

If you look at adding a school like Houston to the Big 12 they actually check both boxes.  With talent shifting increasingly to the South, and away from the Great Plains and Midwest, the Coogs give you an addition that will frequently field an above average team.  And they give you an addition with local interest. So maybe not right now, but at some point, expanding within Texas is going to make some sense.  

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Let me catch my breath

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

I’ve seen the level of local interest at CougarHigh games.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not advocating either way but you clearly don’t get why the PAC wants Texas and OU (aside from the obvious), they want us because we are in the Central Time Zone and can have 11am start times.  Adding 11am start times would give the PAC games in all the time slots and would increase the value of their TV contracts more than just simply adding teams within their existing footprint.  The earliest game that will be played this year in the PAC is Colorado vs Utah and it’s at 12:30pm everything else is 1:30pm or later.

The PAC already has the vast majority of eyeballs on the Late time slot since they only compete with SportsCenter and the MWC and if you read a few post above you see the Texas and OU are as close as you can get to guaranteed ratings so they aren’t going to put us in the Late time slot as that would be extremely wasteful.  They want Texas and Oklahoma games to help them compete with the SEC/B1G and have our games in the midday and prime time spots especially when we plays the traditional PAC teams like USC, Oregon, and Washington.

If anything moving to the PAC would most likely guarantee us more 11am start times (because they’ll need someone to fill those spots) when we play our annual cupcake game or a lowly Central or Mountain time zone team but I would guess that the majority of that burden will fall on Tech and Okie State since their games are not as valuable.

Assuming it’s Texas/Oklahoma and Tech/OSU you’ll probably see something like this as a schedule for most weekends.

I agree that the game time criticism is really a non-starter for our games. Obviously, if you are a Texas fan in the Eastern Time Zone and want to keep up with the conference you are going to be staying up late to watch some portion of the PacX games. You will likely miss all the 3rd tier games as I doubt adding Texas/OU changes the conference network dynamic beyond the Central Time Zone. I think the reason we have never pulled the final trigger on moving to the Pac is because there wasn't a robust payday for making the move. There may have been some marginal uptick in the T1/T2 money that was easily offset by retaining T3 rights.

I am not sure if the fundamentals have changed enough to improve the likelihood of moving out West. I get the sense in this current weaker environment, there is still little upside to be had from that move, but we have a long time until our next decision is made. The players involved in the next round of TV contracts in 5 or 6 years is yet to be determined. If we don't do some sort of co-media deal with the Pac, I could see the Big 12 again making a move to take money over exposure and signing with a newcomer to college football to keep the conference going for another 5-10 years. I would be surprised if we give up on the LHN unless OU forces our hand.

The quicker the conference adds two more schools, the better for whoever will be in the North Division.  Realistically, this will give those schools a chance to get better down the road with an easier path to bowl eligibility and a spot on the conference championship game.  WV could become what  the 2000's version of Nebraska was. Add  both Memphis and Cincinnati, call it a day.  It's not like Texas fans wouldn't mind a trip to Memphis every 4 years or so.  Also gives us Texas fans living in the southeast, northeast a chance to go to a game.

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It's obvious why the PAC wants Texas and OU.

What's not so obvious is the benefit Texas and OU would get from joining the PAC, in what would likely be an Eastern Division, with limited access to USC, which is the only marquee brand in the entire conference.

16 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Ross is an idiot.

A guy who compares Iowa State and West Virginia games at 11 AM on FSN to Alabama v LSU on CBS in prime time is an idiot?  And spending more time in his article on his own golf clubs than the fact that both the ESPN/ABC family and CBS both promoted the SEC game endlessly makes him a knucklehead?  No way !!!