Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I don't know crap about money or anything. What I want is this

Boot Baylor

Get Arkansas with the built in rivalries they have, plus they are not ever going to really compete in the SEC.

Get Cinci to satisfy West Virginia plus get some Ohio people watching the Big 12

Get Houston as a way to satisfy people in Texas that are mad about kicking out Baylor. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy1992 said:

Boot Baylor

Get Arkansas with the built in rivalries they have, plus they are not ever going to really compete in the SEC.

Get Cinci to satisfy West Virginia plus get some Ohio people watching the Big 12

Get Houston as a way to satisfy people in Texas that are mad about kicking out Baylor. Just my opinion.

Arkansas won't leave the SEC, they don't care about winning over the money they are getting. I agree kick out Baylor but don't replace them with Houston.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:04 AM, TheFlagship said:

My mind starting running this morning over realignment so I put something together that I thinks makes the most sense geographically while maintaining current rivalries and regional cultures. I ended with 4 conferences with 18 teams each, or 8 divisions with 9 teams each. I tried to put at least one "blue blood" in each division. There are currently 64 teams in the P5 conferences so 8 teams needed to be added - Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, USF, Boise State, Colorado State, UConn, and Cincinnati. Figured each team would play 10 conference games (8 divisional + 2 cross-divisional). Each conference champ would be guaranteed a spot in what would hopefully be a 8 team playoff.

Atlantic Coast Conference

North Division - Boston College, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

South Division - Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, South Carolina, UCF, USF

The North Division consolidates all the northeast schools and adds Penn State whose alumni base is concentrated on the East Coast (Philadelphia, NYC, DC) rather than the Midwest. The South Division trades Georgia Tech for South Carolina to make the respective in-state rivalries divisional games. UCF and USF are added to consolidate with the other two Florida schools.

Midwest Conference

East Division - Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia 

West Division - Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Missouri, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Wisconsin

The East Division consolidates regional basketball rivals Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, and Louisville and maintains the Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State rivalries. Pitt and WV are added to renew their rivalry. The West Division adds Notre Dame, Iowa State (natural rival with Iowa), and Missouri (natural rival with Illinois) to many of the current Big Ten West teams. Admittedly Notre Dame would not be wild about joining this group of teams, but too bad.  

Western Conference

East Division - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Utah

West Division - Boise State, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State

The East Division is easily the worst from a football perspective, but it consolidates a bunch of current and former rivals. Nebraska is added to renew rivalries with KU/KSU/Colorado. BYU is added to create a rivalry game with Utah for 4 in-state rivalries within the division. The West adds Boise State who have a semblance of rivalries with the current pacific northwest teams.

Southeast Conference

East Division - Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West Division - Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

The East Division adds Georgia Tech to renew historical rivalries with UGA and Auburn. The West Division takes the Texas and Oklahoma teams and adds former SWC rival Arkansas and cultural fit, LSU. The UT/Aggy game gets back on the schedule and Aggy gets to play divisional games against actual rivals.

Stop making sense.  That's not how realignment works.  Rivarlies don't matter, dummy!

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Let me catch my breath

I’ve seen the level of local interest at CougarHigh games.

This....    There is a reason a HUGE school like cougar high got left behind and we went with Baylor, Tech and then TCU.   Houston market or not, no matter how well they are doing, they don't get much local support. 

Houston is a Pro Sports hotbed.  UH would need a Alabama type run to even begin to build a fanbase.  But even then, the first hiccup, and their fanbase tanks.

Their ex-AD understood why they were left behind.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college/amp/The-Big-12-with-a-history-of-power-struggles-and-9971434.php

Article from 8/90

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-27/sports/sp-73_1_southwest-conference.

Bleacher Report.  Not their typical garbage.  Decent read.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/263819-notable-moments-the-southwest-conference-arkansas-and-texas-am

Since I'm on the realignment thread, here are some articles I've come across I've found pretty interesting...

This first I'm throwing in here...
It's an article on a SEC/ACC site that's probably the most accurate summary of the demise of both the SWC and (almost) the B12....

http://www.southernpigskin.com/archives/did-texas-murder-2-conferences/

I found it interesting how a non Longhorn, non B12 site could do what the National Sports Journalist wouldn't do.  Put the facts out there....

That led me to this article... Another example of what is the lost art of Professional Journalism...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1990/07/02/changing-times-conference-realignment-could-reshape-college-athletics/9b62a261-caf4-4ba5-913f-03436bb1610b/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c90ce8b34c59

He covers realignment without siting "inside sources". He nails 95% of the things he writes about, without it being a bunch of shit he throws against the wall hopinh it sticks. Most of what he doesn't get correct is likely from not having the entire view of the painting... The rest of what he misses is because things change....  

Subscribe for $1Send me this offer×

CHANGING TIMES CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT COULD RESHAPE COLLEGE ATHLETICS
By Mark Maske.  

((EXCERPTS FROM ARTICLE WRITTEN JULY 2ND 1990))

This summer may see the groundwork laid for rampant additions, defections and mergers that could test the structural boundaries of Division I-A, as the nation's elite schools and conferences scurry to establish regional strangleholds in anticipation of megabucks television contracts. The eventual result could be the disintegration of several existing conferences, the affiliation of most independents and 
the emergence of three or four "superconferences" with two divisions and 12 to 16 schools apiece -- a transformation many see as the first step toward creating a college football playoff system.

What finally could emerge are an Atlantic Coast Conference stretching from the Northeast to Florida; a Big Ten that might have further holdings in the Northeast or from the current Big (Nebraska, most prominently); a Southeastern Conference sprawling westward into Texas and one or two more Florida teams among its Atlantic entries; 
and a revised Pacific-10 picking up what it can in the West (Colorado, Brigham Young and Air Force, among others).

((It ended up being Utah instead of BYU and they stopped their hoping to land Texas and gang instead of going to 14-16))

Oklahoma has entertained notions about jumping from the Big Eight to the Southwest Conference -- a move that could become moot if, as some close to this process insist, the Big Eight and SWC eventually are left with no choice but to combine. ((Interesting prediction))
An on-again, off-again Eastern Seaboard Conference for football composed of independents and Big East schools needing a football-only league may yet arise.

The dominoes are lined up, waiting for a nudge to send them falling. 

"Any time you start discussing these things, people get nervous and the discussion kind of feeds off itself," said Nebraska chancellor and interim president Martin Massengale, who stressed his school has had no official contact with the Big Ten but whose athletic director, Bob Devaney, has written an informal letter of inquiry to the conference. 

((Probably why OU was looking at joining the SWC))

"We've studied the TV situation carefully," said University of Mississippi President Gerald Turner, chairman of the SEC's expansion committee, "and we've concluded that our interests may be best served by operating on the assumption we'll negotiate for ourselves in the future. . . . The first step in that direction is minimizing the force of competing conferences within our geographic area."

The SEC is pursuing Arkansas, Texas and Texas A&M of the SWC, plus football independents Florida State, South Carolina and Miami.  ((There are some articles from 1990 that have Texas and Arkansas as the targets, the entire SWC footprint, while others have SEC officials quoted saying if Texas and Texas A&M aren't interested then they would be happy to take Arkansas.)) 

(((But all the articles around this time agree that all three were SEC bound.  I'm not sure if The reporters were getting their information from an overly excited aggy and assumed it was a done deal, or if Texas was headed to the SEC but something went south. Or if Texas was saying yeah, but stalling trying to salvage the SWC...))) 

The SWC is trying to cut its potential losses by luring Oklahoma. 

((I'm fairly certain OU was not showing enough interest in jumping into a -Texas, -Texas A&M -Arkansas SWC for multiple sources to cover it as such which points to Texas really not interested in the SEC and the likely true birth of Deloss' BIG 12.))

The ACC -- which voted against expansion earlier this year but has reconsidered -- presents a wait-and-see stance, but league officials contend privately that Florida State will turn down the SEC because it doesn't want to be in the same conference with Florida, which allegedly once fostered an SEC blackballing of the Seminoles.

The ACC, if properly motivated, could go after Florida State, Miami, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia, Virginia Tech or even former member South Carolina. Conference officials insist they can stand pat as long as the Big Ten and Pac-10 are willing to unite with the ACC in TV negotiations. But now the league's newest member, Georgia Tech, has 
opened itself to an offer from the SEC.

ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE

Members Clemson Duke Georgia Tech Maryland North Carolina North Carolina State Virginia Wake Forest

Possible Defections Georgia Tech

Candidates Boston College Florida State Miami Pittsburgh Rutgers South Carolina Syracuse Virginia Tech West Virginia 

SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE

Members Alabama Auburn Florida Georgia Kentucky Louisiana State Mississippi Mississippi State Tennessee Vanderbilt

Candidates Arkansas Florida State Miami South Carolina Texas Texas A&M

SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE

Members Arkansas Baylor Houston Rice SMU Texas Texas A&M Texas Christian Texas Tech

Possible Defections Arkansas Texas Texas A&M

Candidates Oklahoma 

BIG TEN CONFERENCE

Members Illinois Indiana Iowa Michigan Michigan State Minnesota Northwestern Ohio State Purdue Wisconsin

Additions Penn State

Candidates Nebraska Syracuse Rutgers Pittsburgh 

PACIFIC-10 CONFERENCE

Members Arizona Arizona State California Oregon Oregon State Southern Cal Stanford UCLA Washington Washington State

Candidates Brigham Young Air Force Colorado

Not bad for an article written about realignment in 1990...  It seems that things have held true to corse so far (outside of Texas throwing a monkey wrench into the mix and not running to the SEC..)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rickyspub said:

We all know we were exchanging cash for being on Fox.

Bingo, that's exactly what is happening.   You're paid for the ABC numbers while Fox builds up its marketing.   Most of what makes CBS's SEC games popular isn't just the SEC, its that they've marketed the shit out of them for two decades and they are normally always on at 3:30 eastern.   That consistency is a big deal when it comes to where people end up when just "watching a game"

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

It's obvious why the PAC wants Texas and OU.

What's not so obvious is the benefit Texas and OU would get from joining the PAC, in what would likely be an Eastern Division, with limited access to USC, which is the only marquee brand in the entire conference.

This is why I’m not on on board with simply joining the P12/16.  Great points.

Ideally I’d like to see a new conference form leaving out all the little brothers who bring little to the table.  Stay at 12 and have USC on the schedule 2 out of 4 years and UCLA during the other years.

The State schools don’t do anything for the common fans even now with WSU’s success.

8 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

This is why I’m not on on board with simply joining the P12/16.  Great points.

Ideally I’d like to see a new conference form leaving out all the little brothers who bring little to the table.  Stay at 12 and have USC on the schedule 2 out of 4 years and UCLA during the other years.

The State schools don’t do anything for the common fans even now with WSU’s success.

The PAC needs Texas and OU more than Texas and OU need the PAC. 

In fact, the PAC needs Tech and OSU more than Tech and OSU need the PAC

Big state schools with big football fanbases bring conferences money.  If a lot of people go to major expense or effort to watch you play football, you have value.  If a lot of people are willing to stop on your football game and watch some of it on the TV, you have value.  If you want to base a school's value on basketball or academics or culture, whatever that is, you don't understand how this whole thing works

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

The quicker the conference adds two more schools, the better for whoever will be in the North Division.  Realistically, this will give those schools a chance to get better down the road with an easier path to bowl eligibility and a spot on the conference championship game.  WV could become what  the 2000's version of Nebraska was. Add  both Memphis and Cincinnati, call it a day.  It's not like Texas fans wouldn't mind a trip to Memphis every 4 years or so.  Also gives us Texas fans living in the southeast, northeast a chance to go to a game.

I would add BYU and UCF and call it a day but if you add 4 teams, say;  Cincinnati and Boise State/Colorado/UNM, I think given a few years, recruiting would pick up tremendously and you'll see a renaissance at those programs (making them more valuable and competitive) at least with BYU, CSU and Cincinnati.     This could help strengthen a northern division while making the south division one of the most competitive in the country and give this conference much more national appeal with its fan and alumni bases stretching from coast-to-coast.  

Edited by Fart
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Fart said:

I would add BYU and UCF and call it a day but if you add 4 teams, say;  Cincinnati and Boise State/Colorado/UNM, I think given a few years, recruiting would pick up tremendously and you'll see a renaissance at those programs at least with BYU, CSU and Cincinnati.     This could help strengthen a northern division while making the south division one of the most competitive in the country and give this conference much more national appeal with its fan and alumni bases stretching from coast-to-coast.  

why would you want another cult in the conference??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

why would you want another cult in the conference??

Because that "cult" would boost the strength and value of the conference. It would become the 3rd biggest brand and help increase the national appeal of this conference, while doing so in a northern division that would provide balance to a very competitive south division.  

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Fart said:

I would add BYU and UCF and call it a day but if you add 4 teams, say;  Cincinnati and Boise State/Colorado/UNM, I think given a few years, recruiting would pick up tremendously and you'll see a renaissance at those programs (making them more valuable and competitive) at least with BYU, CSU and Cincinnati.     This could help strengthen a northern division while making the south division one of the most competitive in the country and give this conference much more national appeal with its fan and alumni bases stretching from coast-to-coast.  

The problem is that you are then likely down to (or even below) PAC and ACC money. At that point Texas and OU are definitely better off making either making the Pac the new third conference that is financially in the ballpark with the Big 10 and SEC or you join the SEC or Big 10 and make one or the other the premier media conference.

Why add anyone.  Just sit here quietly doing our thing. 

There is a cancer slowly eating away at the PAC 12.  It's the same cancer we watched eat away at Nebraska. 

And unless they can pull an extra 10 to 15 million per school out of their asses "over night" to close the gap on the SEC, BIG10, B12, this cancer is the deadly kind

Wait until after the ACC Network launches next year and the numbers come in at year end...  It will be the death blow..

USC and UCLA have had their foot out the door since the mid '70 when they almost lost it over the addition of the 'zona schools.  

They were not happy when equal distribution was shoved down their throats. 

They were not happy turning over their left but to the fail PAC-Network.

They haven't been happy in awhile.

Edited by Gaffords

23 hours ago, torre said:

Stephen Ross,  solid writer at Barking Carnival,  discusses the B12 TV viewership dilemma.

It’s been a crummy week – somebody broke into my car and stole my golf clubs – a capital offense if there every was one, and to fit my lousy mood I think it is time to once again beat a dead horse, AKA the Big 12’s long-term viability.

On the field the Big 12 is solid – two teams in the Top Ten (OU & W. Virginia) with #15 Texas and #16 Iowa State playing this week. That’s not the issue. The national perception of the league as a draw is. This is a top-heavy league with almost no middle-class when it comes to drawing viewer interest.

Take West Virginia. We know first hand how good they are. They play an exciting brand of offense, one that averages 41 points a game. And outside the league hardly anyone is watching. The Mountaineers have played on TV 9 times this season and the total viewership for all 9 games is 12,736,000.

Over 11,500,000 watched Alabama vs. LSU.

That 12,700,000 includes the 4,400,000 who watched the game against Texas a couple of weeks ago. That is at the heart of the problem for the league.

We are through 11 weeks of the season and eight of those have pretty much been dominated by intra-conference play. A look at the weekly ratings will quickly point out basic weakness or lack of depth in the Big 12.

Through these eight weeks only one time was a Big 12 game the most-watched contest of the week.

Can you guess what game it is? I bet you can.

Texas-OU had 5.6 million viewers week 6, with LSU-Florida next at 4.7 million. For the rest of the season the SEC has had the top-rated game four times, the Big 10 three.

But again the roots of the problem go deeper. Here is a look at the Big 12 games that drew the highest audiences each week and where they ranked. In week 4 TCU @ Texas was the most-watched Big 12 game at 2.9 million and it was 5th on the list.

In week 5 Baylor @ Oklahoma had 2.8 million viewers and it was 5th on the list for the week.

In week 7 Baylor @ Texas was seen by 1.8 million viewers and it was 9th on the weekly list.

In week 8 Oklahoma @ TCU (2.5 million) was 7th.

In week 9 Texas @ Oklahoma St. was 2nd with 3.5 million viewers. Next was Kansas St. @ Oklahoma at 10th.

In week 10 West Virginia @ Texas was third with Oklahoma @ Texas Tech at #7 with 3.1 million viewers.

Last week Oklahoma St. @ Oklahoma had 3.9 million (#4) while Texas @ Texas Tech drew 2.7 million (7th).

Notice a pattern anywhere? The most-watched Big 12 game not involving Texas or OU was the October 13th West Virginia @ Iowa St game. It drew 1.3 million viewers. That same day Nebraska @ Northwestern had 2.4 million watching.

The fact that Texas and Oklahoma are carrying the league when it comes to national exposure is no surprise. The idea of stealing teams from other Power 5 leagues is absurd and merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I do believe that things will get better because I have full faith in Chris Del Conte and others to find the best long-term home for our program.

Now if I can only find the SOB who stole my clubs.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/11/14/18095134/tv-ratings-the-canary-in-the-big-12-coal-mine

This is why it was important for the league to stay at 10 teams, so games involving UT & OU are a higher % of league games.  If we compare the B12 against the B1G & SEC they lose, if we compare the B12 against PAC 12 & ACC it probably looks good. 

Honestly, what you point out above is why this league holds out for a Neb/Ark. combo or stays at 10 until we know there is no hope of getting them or make 2 additions that would still give the league a shot at them in the future.  Why?  Do you really think adding Az & ASU do that much for the ratings?  nope  Colorado,  Utah or even Missouri? nope.  The PERCEPTION would be its a win if the league picked up any of those 5 P5's I said nope to but the reality is it wouldn't help the ratings like regional rivals Neb. & Arkansas would unless something crazy happened involving USC/UCLA.  

I can argue Houston & BYU would help ratings every bit as much as Az/ASU, Col., Utah or Missouri(although Missouri would be  nice game for Ks/KSU & ISU and if we could only get Neb or Ark & Missouri as the 2nd I would pull the trigger).  Some of Houston's games against B12 schools have done very well ratings wise the last few years.  

Could OU & UT go to the SEC?  Sure.  Would it be good for college football as a national sport? absolutely not.   

My hope if networks look at this from an economic stand point of a teams worth in each league from an eyeball perspective.  IMO, Arkansas isn't really anymore valuable to the SEC than WVU would be but would be a lot more valuable in the B12. Nebraska is definitely undervalued in the current B1G setup but again could be a huge value to the B12 broadcasts.  Maybe the networks will think in terms of maximizing the broadcast potential rather than just stacking 2 leagues in the future.   

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

Why add anyone.  Just sit here quietly doing our thing. 

There is a cancer slowly eating away at the PAC 12.  It's the same cancer we watched eat away at Nebraska. 

And unless they can pull an extra 10 to 15 million per school out of their asses "over night" to close the gap on the SEC, BIG10, B12, this cancer is the deadly kind

Wait until after the ACC Network launches next year and the numbers come in at year end...  It will be the death blow..

USC and UCLA have had their foot out the door since the mid '70 when they almost lost it over the addition of the 'zona schools.  

They were not happy when equal distribution was shoved down their throats. 

They were not happy turning over their left but to the fail PAC-Network.

They haven't been happy in awhile.

I have shared before on other boards I think the best thing for viewership of current PAC schools football is for the league to be divided between two other league fan bases in other time zones that watch the sport at higher levels.  There is NOTHING they can do to fix fan viewership on the west coast but yet college football can write a whole section of the country off like that.   If they were divided between the B12 & B1G those schools would get more exposure because fans tend to watch other teams in their league play when their team is not on. 

It would be nice if each league got 1 southern California and 1 northern California school(but I'm afraid the B1G might gobble up all 4 California schools Oregon and Washington but if at least Nebraska switched to the B12 to allow another spot for a cohesive PAC addition to the B1G it would be something for the B12).  When rivals were separated play the game OOC like the SEC & ACC do.  

What I would like to see and I think would be best for CFB as a whole: 

B1G: USC, Stanford, Az., Oregon, Wash., drops Nebraska (18 teams)

B12: adds UCLA, Cal, ASU, Col., Utah & Neb (16 teams)

What would probably happen:

B1G: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Wash., Oregon

B12: Az., ASU, Col., Utah - If this happened it would be at least a consolation prize if Neb. came back but the B12 gaining some real estate in California would really help Nebraska recruiting wise I think.  

***I think either of those additions would really give the B1G a recruiting pitch for ND.  A league that had USC, Stanford, Mich., MSU & Purdue already would be a league that allowed for the Irish biggest rivals over the years as conference games. 

Alright bitches, it must be real because the MHver dude has awakened! (I edited it down to text for ease of reading)   He has a tenancy to poach from articles to spit it back out as his own.   Sounds a lot like one someone posted above where Oregon will be in the Big Ten.   [note: That was difficult to even write.]

‏@MHver3

Waking from my slumber to share current rumblings from the college football landscape. Much to come. A lot at stake.

On the docket for later: playoff expansion close to reality? End of the bowl alliance? Big12 and B1G expansion? Demise of a P5 league?

It happened about this time last year and it’s happening again with renewed vigor: playoff expansion discussions between conference presidents.

With the very real possibility of 3 of the 5 power conferences being left out, presidents are regretting this bill of goods they’ve been sold.

A 1-loss ND being left out would also be a catalyst that could cause the Irish to join the ACC in all sports.

ESPN is happy to accommodate to expand the playoffs but could also see fox or nbc get in on the action for new first round games.

I’ll return this afternoon to go into a lot more detail on expansion. Big things happening. It’ll be hard to pac it all in tweets.

Abysmal ratings. Botched attempt at a conference network. In-fighting between schools. One conference has become ripe for defections that could change the landscape of college football again. That conference is the Pac12.

There were cracks showing over 2 years ago. Two schools reached out to the B12(Arizona and Arizona State) at the 11th hour of B12 expanding.

B12 was about to invite BYU and Cincinnati despite pressure from ESPN to not expand. The brief talks with the two P12 schools were a revelation that in the near future the B12 would have better options for expansion.

I actually shared this much with you all over a year ago.

Fast forward to now and the Pac12 has not gotten better. The anchor school of USC  has not returned to power. Stanford can’t find its footing. Oregon is improving but still a far cry from where they were. The Arizona schools are still reeling from the botched attempt to raid B12

Late games with poor ratings. A network no one watches. Fan interest generally the lowest of the P5. The final straw for the Arizona schools was watching Fox put a nascar truck race higher priority over a conference game.

Arizona and Arizona State will be leaving to join the B12. It’s not even a matter of if now-just when. Talks have been ongoing for a long time. This will return the B12 to its namesake and with the larger tv markets added will be lucrative for the networks as well.

But it won’t stop there.

B10 is poised to win the biggest prize with a sizable chunk of the existing Pac12 and the first true national power conference that will span from coast to coast.

The leftovers from such a move would be ripe for the taking for the B12. Possibly even returning a former member to the fold.

As a WVU guy this is not the type of expansion I would’ve hoped for. The near miss of FSU and Clemson still stings.

I know that WVU has tried to negotiate an out with the B12 for a move to either the SEC or ACC if either expands again.

Even the local media in Arizona knows something is going on. Recent stories have hinted as much.

The Pac12 as a whole is not as valuable to networks due to geography. But in chunks as part of conferences with a more central and eastern makeup they become more valuable.

hC90334AA

15 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Let me catch my breath

I’ve seen the level of local interest at CougarHigh games.

UH consistently does well on TV in the Houston market when they get a decent opponent in a decent TV window.  Fans at the gate?  They suck but no more so than pretty much everyone else outside the P5 (BYU excluded.)  UH vs. Tech had 1M+ viewers earlier this year.  That's probably the floor for UH vs. any of the Texhoma schools already in the Big 12.  Who else could the Big 12 add that might deliver those types of numbers?  

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Alright bitches, it must be real because the MHver dude has awakened! (I edited it down to text for ease of reading)   He has a tenancy to poach from articles to spit it back out as his own.   Sounds a lot like one someone posted above where Oregon will be in the Big Ten.   [note: That was difficult to even write.]

hC90334AA

So we get the Arizona schools and the California schools goto the big?  No thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy1992 said:

Boot Baylor

Never gonna happen but I'd be thrilled with this. Meh on Cincy but they check the box of bringing new markets and eyeballs, a WVU travel partner, and are generally decent at football and quite good at basketball. Arkansas is a big state school that has established rivalries in the conference - Texas, Tech, TCU, easy natural rivalry with OSU and OU. Even WVU. UH is superior to Baylor in every way.

Edited by gmr548

41 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

So we get the Arizona schools and the California schools goto the big?  No thanks

There's an effort on dirt, to "psh" Oklahoma to the B1G, but the travel logistics for a division that lacks Texas, to me seems very short-sighted, vs a "merger" with the PAC...

B1G west division, from Norman to the campus of:
Oklahoma - *
Kansas - 4 h 43 min (332.4 mi)
Nebraska - 6 h 35 min (450.3 mi)
Iowa - 9 h 32 min (674.5 mi)
Minnesota - 11 h 23 min (804.2 mi)
Wisconsin - 12 h 21 min (854.2 mi)
Northwestern - 11 h 58 min (810.7 mi)
Illinois - 10 h 13 min (694.7 mi)

Total in division travel amount: 4,621 miles/ average in division travel amount: 660 miles...

B1G east division, from Norman to the campus of:
Indiana - 9 h 58 min (676.0 mi)
Purdue - 11 h 39 min (786.9 mi)
Ohio State - 13 h 46 min (931.8 mi)
Michigan - 15 h 4 min (1,022.4 mi)
Michigan State - 14 h 47 min (1,003.4 mi)
Penn State - 18 h 49 min (1,253.5 mi)
Rutgers - 21 h 22 min (1,454.3 mi)
Maryland - 19 h 48 min (1,360.4 mi)

Total in division travel amount: 8,489 miles/ average in division travel amount: 1,061 miles...

If most of these road trip games are scheduled at 11:00am kickoff for ETZ viewers, that's not exactly a great fan experience for such long trips...
There's no way, the majority of games centered around the Great Lakes region, for the B1G to allow Oklahoma a "backloaded schedule" of home games...
50% of schools in B1G actually have lower home game attendance rate, than either Oklahoma State or Texas Tech, closer games than (most) B1G west...

Oklahoma State - 56,790
Texas Tech - 55,065

B1G schools with a lower attendance in the league than the Cowboys & Red Raiders:

Maryland - 39,643
Rutgers - 39,749
Purdue - 47,884
Indiana - 43,953
Illinois - 39,429
Northwestern - 35,853
Minnesota - 44,358
*Kansas - 26,641

So, in theory, Oklahoma joins a league with more than double current travel/ high amount of 11am kickoffs/ more road games in inclement weather - travel delays...

Just a few things to factor along with the ability of knowing OU would average playing at the B1G east schools of UM/MSU/tOSU/PSU 1x (maybe 2x) per decade, same as now as an out of conference game... Although there are positives in a potential move to the B1G, just what is mentioned above is quite a bit of negatives when realizing than Nebraska can just be played as an out of conference game... As mentioned before, only 1 SEC school has lower attendance than OSU & TT, and 8 out of 12 PAC schools have better attendance than 50% of the 14 school (or 16 member) conference... 11:00am road games in bad weather, sounds fun...

(Example shows a model possible if the proposition of paying athletes above standard student-athlete tuition, becomes a reality)...

Dr0hmaIUUAATZdi.jpg:large

That option, vs Texas & Oklahoma remaining as kings in the XII, by "absorbing" brands from the PAC (vs a "split" between the B1G & XII adding PAC schools)...
It shows how desperate the B1G is in adding a new population/ region, as the south (SEC/ACC) and west (PAC/XII) currently outpace the midwest (B1G) in growth...

What the hell...

I say we target USC and UCLA.

Might as well go after Penn St as a traveling partner for WVU. It's not like they really fit in there.  Plus it would be a good reason to bring back pedobear.

And Mike Leach...  Wherever he's coaching, they're in until he leaves.

20 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Since I'm on the realignment thread, here are some articles I've come across I've found pretty interesting...

Not bad for an article written about realignment in 1990...  It seems that things have held true to corse so far (outside of Texas throwing a monkey wrench into the mix and not running to the SEC..)

It's actually damn impressive how many moves he nails. Pretty much the exact opposite of the dudes... 

18 hours ago, Fart said:

I don't think the B12 will be expanding, but any expansion west that doesn't include San Diego State would be asinine. 

31 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's actually damn impressive how many moves he nails. Pretty much the exact opposite of the dudes... 

I don't think the B12 will be expanding, but any expansion west that doesn't include San Diego State would be asinine. 

1) Kick out Baylor

2) Add Hawaii, San Diego State, and Tulane

3) Play all games in Hawaii, San Diego, and New Orleans

4) ?????

5) Profit

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I completely didn't think of that.   BYU, San Diego State, UCF and Cincinnati would be  a solid addition.  

• Fuck You 1

21 hours ago, Gaffords said:

This....    There is a reason a HUGE school like cougar high got left behind and we went with Baylor, Tech and then TCU.   Houston market or not, no matter how well they are doing, they don't get much local support. 

Houston is a Pro Sports hotbed.  UH would need a Alabama type run to even begin to build a fanbase.  But even then, the first hiccup, and their fanbase tanks.

Their ex-AD understood why they were left behind.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college/amp/The-Big-12-with-a-history-of-power-struggles-and-9971434.php

Article from 8/90

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-08-27/sports/sp-73_1_southwest-conference.

Bleacher Report.  Not their typical garbage.  Decent read.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/263819-notable-moments-the-southwest-conference-arkansas-and-texas-am

Their nationally televised Thursday night game last night had about 1/4 of the stadium full. 

14 hours ago, kopp0e said:

There's an effort on dirt, to "psh" Oklahoma to the B1G, but the travel logistics for a division that lacks Texas, to me seems very short-sighted, vs a "merger" with the PAC...

B1G west division, from Norman to the campus of:
Oklahoma - *
Kansas - 4 h 43 min (332.4 mi)
Nebraska - 6 h 35 min (450.3 mi)
Iowa - 9 h 32 min (674.5 mi)
Minnesota - 11 h 23 min (804.2 mi)
Wisconsin - 12 h 21 min (854.2 mi)
Northwestern - 11 h 58 min (810.7 mi)
Illinois - 10 h 13 min (694.7 mi)

Total in division travel amount: 4,621 miles/ average in division travel amount: 660 miles...

B1G east division, from Norman to the campus of:
Indiana - 9 h 58 min (676.0 mi)
Purdue - 11 h 39 min (786.9 mi)
Ohio State - 13 h 46 min (931.8 mi)
Michigan - 15 h 4 min (1,022.4 mi)
Michigan State - 14 h 47 min (1,003.4 mi)
Penn State - 18 h 49 min (1,253.5 mi)
Rutgers - 21 h 22 min (1,454.3 mi)
Maryland - 19 h 48 min (1,360.4 mi)

Total in division travel amount: 8,489 miles/ average in division travel amount: 1,061 miles...

If most of these road trip games are scheduled at 11:00am kickoff for ETZ viewers, that's not exactly a great fan experience for such long trips...
There's no way, the majority of games centered around the Great Lakes region, for the B1G to allow Oklahoma a "backloaded schedule" of home games...
50% of schools in B1G actually have lower home game attendance rate, than either Oklahoma State or Texas Tech, closer games than (most) B1G west...

Oklahoma State - 56,790
Texas Tech - 55,065

B1G schools with a lower attendance in the league than the Cowboys & Red Raiders:

Maryland - 39,643
Rutgers - 39,749
Purdue - 47,884
Indiana - 43,953
Illinois - 39,429
Northwestern - 35,853
Minnesota - 44,358
*Kansas - 26,641

So, in theory, Oklahoma joins a league with more than double current travel/ high amount of 11am kickoffs/ more road games in inclement weather - travel delays...

Just a few things to factor along with the ability of knowing OU would average playing at the B1G east schools of UM/MSU/tOSU/PSU 1x (maybe 2x) per decade, same as now as an out of conference game... Although there are positives in a potential move to the B1G, just what is mentioned above is quite a bit of negatives when realizing than Nebraska can just be played as an out of conference game... As mentioned before, only 1 SEC school has lower attendance than OSU & TT, and 8 out of 12 PAC schools have better attendance than 50% of the 14 school (or 16 member) conference... 11:00am road games in bad weather, sounds fun...

(Example shows a model possible if the proposition of paying athletes above standard student-athlete tuition, becomes a reality)...

Dr0hmaIUUAATZdi.jpg:large

That option, vs Texas & Oklahoma remaining as kings in the XII, by "absorbing" brands from the PAC (vs a "split" between the B1G & XII adding PAC schools)...
It shows how desperate the B1G is in adding a new population/ region, as the south (SEC/ACC) and west (PAC/XII) currently outpace the midwest (B1G) in growth...

Why would you get rid of TCU, who has won something, for houston, who hasn't?

I think getting Arkansas is not that far fetched. They have not been associated with Texas for close to thirty years so pride wouldn't keep them from jumping ship like it would to aggy or nebraska. They haven't won anything in the SEC and won't for a long time. They might lose money initially, but they would get to play their biggest rival again and have a better shot at the CFP and national relevance. If the Big 12 got them anyone else would be fine.

• Like 1

The best move would be to break the PAC in half. Add USC, ucla, Colorado, Utah and the Arizona schools. The B1G can take their pick through the rest. I would guess Stanford, Washington and Oregon would be on the top of that list. Texas and tech would go to the west with permanent cross rivals with east schools

Texas Oklahoma

Tech   Okie state

USC    TCU

UCLA  Baylor

Ariz.    Kansas

ASU    KSU

Col.   WVU

Utah  ISU

That gives all teams access to Texas and gives both halves 3-5 teams that can make the championship game consistently.

6 hours ago, cfpisrigged said:

I think getting Arkansas is not that far fetched. They have not been associated with Texas for close to thirty years so pride wouldn't keep them from jumping ship like it would to aggy or nebraska. They haven't won anything in the SEC and won't for a long time. They might lose money initially, but they would get to play their biggest rival again and have a better shot at the CFP and national relevance. If the Big 12 got them anyone else would be fine.

If we just traded WVU for Arkansas I think you probably improve both conferences.  The SEC can move Mizzou to the West.  WVU lets them plant a flag in Pittsburgh - which is better for them than Little Rock.  Plugging in Arkansas makes the Big 12 a lot more viable at ten teams.  Both Texas and OU would have a conference home game that the two fan bases would actually care about.  

And a stable Big 12 means that the B1G isn't as able to move south and encroach on the SEC's turf.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

The best move would be to break the PAC in half. Add USC, ucla, Colorado, Utah and the Arizona schools. The B1G can take their pick through the rest. I would guess Stanford, Washington and Oregon would be on the top of that list. Texas and tech would go to the west with permanent cross rivals with east schools

Texas Oklahoma

Tech   Okie state

USC    TCU

UCLA  Baylor

Ariz.    Kansas

ASU    KSU

Col.   WVU

Utah  ISU

That gives all teams access to Texas and gives both halves 3-5 teams that can make the championship game consistently.

I would rather we just dissolve the Big 12 as well and then drop Baylor. Maybe see if WVU can find a spot in another conference and stay at 14.

6 hours ago, HornsofBevo said:

Texas Oklahoma

Tech   Okie state

USC    Arkansas

UCLA  LSU

Ariz.    Kansas

ASU    KSU

Col.   WVU

BYU  ISU

This would be even better.  and since the SEC has no grant of rights agreement, it is doable if you can get LSU and Arky to agree to it.    Utah would bring nothing, if very little to the table, so I'd scrap them.  

• Fuck You 1

If WSU wins out and doesn't make the playoffs, it will be disastrous for them. It will be the second time they've been skipped, and it was a big issue for them...

Don't forget, we got skipped once and added a championship because of it. They will have a meltdown a second time around.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I find it fairly interesting that Texas is only scheduling SEC and Big Ten schools on the future schedules. It shows me the Pac 12 and the ACC are in play.

We just played UCLA, USC and Cal and we’re reaching out to Clemson and Miami about a home and home.  Not saying you don’t have a point.

Not sure where to put this, but no need to start a new thread...

And so it begins:

Amazon has tossed a bid into the ring for Disney's 22 regional sports networks, CNBC reports.

Why it matters: It speaks to Amazon's eagerness to win live sports rights as it continues to build its streaming TV business. The company paid $50 million to get exclusive digital rights to the NFL's Thursday Night Football.

Regulators required Disney to sell the sports networks, which combined are worth an estimated $20 billion, within 90 days of closing its deal with 21st Century Fox.

Our thought bubble: Amazon's strategy is notably different than it's biggest streaming rival Netflix, which has shied from investing in live sports rights.

The backstory: A wide set of bidders has reportedly eyed the networks. The Wall Street Journal reported last month that initial bids have been rumored to come from private equity groups like Blackstone Group LP, KKR & Co. and Providence Equity Partners LLC, as well as rapper Ice Cube.

Fox Sports and NBC Sports were reportedly absent from the first round of bidding, but according to the CNBC report, Fox could join in a second round.
Last week, reports suggested that The Yankees were potentially buying back the YES Network from Disney.

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Like 1

This latest officious and infuriating behavior by the league spurred me to think about realignment again. The old model for TV deals is going away. Content providers will be willing to pay for what revenue they think the games/content bring them. By the time we split the 2027 pie with TCU, ISU, and Baylor, our share will be less filling than what we got in the old deal. Whoever owns LHN is not going to re-up us at 15M a year and fight to keep it on cable sports packages like happened the last time around. We will have evolving ways to put our games and shows out there, but we need to think forward.

When we play, especially when we don’t suck, we draw an audience. Lots love us, and lots hate us. Much of what applies to Notre Dame does in a similar (yet obviously not remotely identical) way. Independent and with a savvy AD planning the deal, we could ensure that we get good RTV, web, and other coverage, with the value split only between us and the media companies, not the hangers-on. The question isn’t whether we’d be better off than we are now, the question is whether we’d be better off than with what is coming down the pike.

OK, money and coverage can be competitive or better without the little 7/8 (OU FB and Kansas Bkb aren’t exactly dead weight), but that leaves scheduling. We might or might not retain, join, or form a conference for non-revenue sports— that is a separate issue. The money is football. We would have little trouble putting together football schedules that would check key boxes: entertaining, Texas regional emphasis, rivalry, media-valuable. Tech makes a big part of its sports revenue from our games there— keep them as home/home. OU in Dallas. I personally am happy to stay away from them, but a h/h with aggy would tune in TV sets. A pseudo-h/h with Rice could give us rights whether we played in DKR or NRG while paying them both places. Never ever play Baylor. Schedule occasional  DKR-only, h/h, or h,h/h series with former conference mates and regional schools to fill another 3 games (2 of them in Austin). We could rotate through TCU, SMU, OSU, Cougar High, and UTEP, e.g. Other independents like Army, ND, and BYU would likely be interested in frequent if not regular games, and they would be big draws. That leaves maybe 2-4 games a year, which could easily by rotating a home or away game from each of the surviving P4 conferences.

TLDR : Independence would work for Texas in ways it would not for nearly any other school. We could have regional games, marquee matchups, money, and control. And no apologies for our opinions.

More media rights conversations:

Tech giants ramp up the live sports battle royale

Media rights are the biggest sector within the sports industry in North America, according to a new report from PwC. Amid a flurry of increased digital competition for rights, they are expected to be the fastest growing,

Between the lines: More digital streamers, including Big Tech companies and media conglomerates, are vying to win the rights to lucrative sporting events, many of which are up for renegotiation over the next few years.

CNBC reported last week that Amazon has tossed a bid into the ring for Disney's 22 regional sports networks. It comes amid a broader push by the tech giant to win live sports rights, like its Thursday night NFL streaming deal.

John Skipper, who resigned as head of ESPN late last year, is back and looking to build a new global sports media giant in the U.S. called DAZN. Last week DAZN announced a deal with Major League Baseball that will allow it to show live look-ins throughout its prime-time programming in the U.S.

Yes, but: As Bloomberg's Gerry Smith notes, "Sports is moving to the internet. But the internet still isn’t ready for sports."

Last week, "AT&T Inc. was forced to make a pay-per-view golf match between Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods free to watch on Friday after suffering a glitch processing customers’ online purchases."

"In August, Amazon had problems live streaming the U.S. Open for U.K. viewers, with fans complaining about poor picture quality and functionality.

"In July, YouTube’s TV service crashed while England and Croatia played in the World Cup semifinals."

"In February, some Hulu viewers got error messages during the final moments of the Super Bowl.

The bottom line: Digital streamers want to win sports rights to lure customers, but they're going to have to prove that their service will be a better live experience than linear television.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

More media rights conversations:

Tech giants ramp up the live sports battle royale

Media rights are the biggest sector within the sports industry in North America, according to a new report from PwC. Amid a flurry of increased digital competition for rights, they are expected to be the fastest growing,

Between the lines: More digital streamers, including Big Tech companies and media conglomerates, are vying to win the rights to lucrative sporting events, many of which are up for renegotiation over the next few years.

CNBC reported last week that Amazon has tossed a bid into the ring for Disney's 22 regional sports networks. It comes amid a broader push by the tech giant to win live sports rights, like its Thursday night NFL streaming deal.

John Skipper, who resigned as head of ESPN late last year, is back and looking to build a new global sports media giant in the U.S. called DAZN. Last week DAZN announced a deal with Major League Baseball that will allow it to show live look-ins throughout its prime-time programming in the U.S.

Yes, but: As Bloomberg's Gerry Smith notes, "Sports is moving to the internet. But the internet still isn’t ready for sports."

Last week, "AT&T Inc. was forced to make a pay-per-view golf match between Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods free to watch on Friday after suffering a glitch processing customers’ online purchases."

"In August, Amazon had problems live streaming the U.S. Open for U.K. viewers, with fans complaining about poor picture quality and functionality.

"In July, YouTube’s TV service crashed while England and Croatia played in the World Cup semifinals."

"In February, some Hulu viewers got error messages during the final moments of the Super Bowl.

The bottom line: Digital streamers want to win sports rights to lure customers, but they're going to have to prove that their service will be a better live experience than linear television.

I wonder if 5G speeds will be the catalyst for speed, reliability and capacity for sports streaming to become king over satellite/cable. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:09 PM, HornsofBevo said:

Texas Oklahoma

Tech   Okie state

USC    TCU

UCLA  Baylor

Ariz.    Kansas

ASU    KSU

Col.   WVU

Utah  ISU

Ugh!  No thank you. 

34 minutes ago, Win5002 said:

I wonder if 5G speeds will be the catalyst for speed, reliability and capacity for sports streaming to become king over satellite/cable. 

Hadn't thought of that but the timing would line up with the big push.   Also allows them to finally shed the final mile that has been dominated by cable providers.   If its faster over the air, they're going to have the upper hand.