Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

My guess is they go full court press and try to also get 4 teams total to respond to the new 16 team norm.

Maybe also get TCU & UH....

Not flagships, but two huge metro areas

The Big12 will die or the AAC will just take Baylor + Kansas St and likely the Big12 name.

PAC would be stupid not to take BYU instead of TCU if they're going to take a "religious" school. Much bigger fan base. It's about clicks for streaming games now - not marketing area nor footprint.

56 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You think Alabama doesn't reach into the West Coast to grab recruits like Bryce Young? We got a CA recruit coming in without playing a game in CA. 

California is wide open for recruiting.  The big programs have been hitting it hard.

Just now, South Austin said:

Someone raised this point earlier in the thread (maybe @Johnny Sack), but any new legislation in 2021 may be limited by the agenda for which the special session was called.  And that's separate from whether the Dems fleeing to D.C. and/or an Abbott veto would make passing any such legislation that much more difficult.

And the Ok State posters made it pretty clear there is no chance their lege does anything. This is already a done deal.

Not a fan of change in general but think Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC would be fantastic. Too bad this didn’t happen years ago instead of getting aggy and that other team, any chance we could give them back and call it even?

Btw congrats on beating out Stanford, we seemed to come close a couple of times but if we didn’t do it in 2006-2008, it’s probably never going to happen.

Can’t wait to hear the SEC chant (sorry, couldn’t resist)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DFW Horn said:

PAC would be stupid not to take BYU instead of TCU if they're going to take a "religious" school. Much bigger fan base. It's about clicks for streaming games now - not marketing area nor footprint.

I mean I would happy to be wrong but I really doubt the PAC 12 is interested in UH or any Texas private schools.

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Considering Liucci is basically an aggy mouthpiece, I felt like this was relevant.

B/c when it comes to political takes, I'll trust Liucci of Texags.

Pictured below, the TexAgs political desk:

w8C5RY2zRgyjnb7whChdJb8lfam3gD0Qho63dDDI

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, South Austin said:

That's fair.  And for what it's worth, I and a lot of my Surly brethren would ideally take you with us to the SEC and send Mizzou packing. 

That's my only real hope for survival at this point. One in a million shot, but it's all I got. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Meh, TCU hasn't been a "religious" school in quite a long time.  BYU and the Mormon cult are ingrained into that school, right down to the student code of conduct.  And TCU at least gives the PAC some of the Texas market.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

That's my only real hope for survival at this point. One in a million shot, but it's all I got. 

FWIW, I'd like to see Mizzou finally get their B1G invite so we can bundle OSU in the SEC deal, too. Don't see it happening, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, camel at sea said:

The easiest answer to in-state politics is for the Big 12 to survive and remain a power conference.  If OSU has a P5 conference (even a much weaker one) with playoff access, OU is going to be able to leave without any pushback.  

In the case of Texas politics... there's an open door now for the Big 12 to add SMU and Houston.  If so, then that increases the number of P5 teams in the state of Texas to seven.  That's a win for the state legislature.  

I thought of that but then the rump Big12 is a Power Conference in name only.  Kinda like the Big East after Miami bolted.  No one will think of TTech and Houston as important undergraduate institutions if they are not in the most important PR league. 

Doesn't the state of Texas have plans to promote UH into the tier of IU, NCST, ASU?

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Considering Liucci is basically an aggy mouthpiece, I felt like this was relevant.

Yeah, I remember when TX legislators did the same thing to try to block A&M from joining the SEC.

Wait, they did that, right?  I mean, A&M is a titan of athletics and academics, surely there was a big effort to stop them from leaving the Big XII, right?

"We're not paying you for the sex, we're paying you to leave."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

No shit  I can take a long weekend in Pac 12 country anytime.  It's not worth that one awesome road trip to see a game at U Dub to be tied with that conference for several years.

Don't blame us because you haven't figured out how to party in Pullman, bitch.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's fair.  And for what it's worth, I and a lot of my Surly brethren would ideally take you with us to the SEC and send Mizzou packing. 

giphy.gif 

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Lololol there is not a single school in the country that has less of a chance getting into the PAC than BYU. Their student handbook policies are an immediate no-go, especially for a California-based conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I understand this is just grasping at straws from the sad orphans, but if we are going to discuss this for real: isn't there a huge fucking precedent from aggy in 2012?  

Exactly

UT alums, money, and influence couldn't block aggy's departure in 2011, but Douchey is banking on Tech, BU, and TCU politicians? Good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I understand this is just grasping at straws from the sad orphans, but if we are going to discuss this for real: isn't there a huge fucking precedent from aggy in 2012?  

You think respect for precedent and consistency are values that aggy and our state government hold?  Hahahahahahahaha!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It would only be precedent if A&M and UT were anywhere near comparable schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

No shit  I can take a long weekend in Pac 12 country anytime.  It's not worth that one awesome road trip to see a game at U Dub to be tied with that conference for several years.

Berkeley would really suck after losing to those dorks in front of 20,000 fans too.

32 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

ISU will never get an invite to the Big 10. OSU isn't getting an invite to the SEC. Tech, TCU, AND KSU aren't getting Pac invites. Wake and BC aren't getting the boot 
 this is stupid. The Big XII will just poach from the American and the MWC and call it a day. They'll be the new Big East.

Correct.

9 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Wait a minute Bagdad Billie....   I thought some of your fellow aggy sheep  said you all had enough votes among fellow SEC schools to block this?

A legislative move wouldn't be necessary if so.  Beside you make it sound like the Legislature is over whiningly filled with Tech, Baylor and TCU Reps who even give a flying F about what is going on.  And you need to read up on things and sadly some of these Reps need to as well about how hard it will be to get this on the calendar to even get a hearing to start the process and not to mention the Democrats won't be back in the state until a few weeks to make quorum in the house when a second session can be called.  

Why do aggys put their faith in this clown?   Much less spend money on his site.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Didn't someone earlier in this thread say that by voiding the LHN contract it would have us playing in the SEC for 22-23 season? Maybe I pulled that out of my ass, I'm trying to keep up with 2 threads of this shit.

I think Stewart Mandell tweeted that UT and OU notifying the conference they were out, would mean we’d be playing in the SEC for the 23 season. I assume that’s because the Big 12 requires two years’ notice, but I’m not sure. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

So TTU to the Pac 12 by themselves, huh?

For Tech, OSU, TCU, and (maybe) Baylor, the only two plays are 1) try to add some also-ran schools to the Big XII to make it big enough to kinda matter, or 2) bolt for the PAC.

I actually think that the PAC expanding east to grab Tech, OSU, and TCU makes some mutual sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is a reason why I said - I'm not saying it couldn't happen. It surely could happen in today's crazy world. Imagine a conference with Pitt/WVU/State Pen and Maryland. The ease for fans to get to games would be incredible. It'd be awesome.
But, there are differences in experiences for folks who have gone to Morganhole for games. Try doing it as the fan of one of their traditional rivals. It is usually not very pretty, especially at night. And the comment I posted did not come from a walk-on to WVU football. It came from a guy who made the NFL. And he is kind of in the know. He has no reason to lie to me about what he was told.
Wasn't questioning the validity or veracity of the post. It's clearly the long held opinion based on past fan history. Just passing on one data point (from a day game) that it may be old data. Easy enough to use old data to manufacture a desired outcome.