Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

giphy.gif 

Lololol there is not a single school in the country that has less of a chance getting into the PAC than BYU. Their student handbook policies are an immediate no-go, especially for a California-based conference. 

I'm not familiar with either BYU's nor TCU's student handbook. Just pointing out a fact - BYU's fan base is much larger. Plus, who knows if BYU would even want to join? Their 2021 independent schedule is pretty good with 4 PAC teams already.

I won't be surprised if the PAC expanded with Tech, OSU, UH, and Boise St. Who knows?

If only. Pussy always wins and I am not liking this latest development.
I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.
But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.
I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.
I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.
It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.
And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.
Unless some epic shenanigans are pulled off by both schools that allow this to happen as quickly as next season...the last part of what you wrote will by far be the worst part. Our already tough schedule just got tougher..every Big12 school has us and blowU as win at all costs...rest of the schedule be damned. ISU already plays with chips on shoulders, but will be extra salty and has the horses this year to back up the bluster..
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

Concerning Texas A&M, don't you remember telling us for ten years UT will never go because the Aggies would never stop saying 'We led the way to the SEC.'

talk about a 100 year decision

I mean I had reasons for not wanting to break up the Big 12 but what A&M thought or would say is not one of them. They are going to invent some reason they are the greatest in the universe and we are the epitome of all evil no matter what happens.

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

Concerning Texas A&M, don't you remember telling us for ten years UT will never go because the Aggies would never stop saying 'We led the way to the SEC.'

talk about a 100 year decision

It's going to be hilarious when we're 11-1 and headed to the playoff while aggy is 4-8 and they're gnashing their tooth about how we rode their coattails to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I hate UT & OU to the SEC for CFB.   I also, didn't like those two to the B1G.  

BUT if the B1G swooped in at the last moment to get UT, OU, USC, UCLA, UW, OR and one or both of Cal/Stanford with the addition of ND even if its 6 games until their contract is out would UT prefer that situation?  Especially if UT was given the opportunity to choose 1 or maybe even 2 regional rivalries of TEXAS' choosing?  Maybe other regional rivalries is not an issue and they want to cut the other Texas schools off but if it was needed I would do it as the B1G.   Those are 4 huge brands.

If the SEC secures Texas forever the B1G will regret that loss.  Even if they pick up secondary brands in Ga. Tech & FSU it never works the same.  UT academics and the SEC seems an odd fit.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:
I definitely warmed up to the new Big XII as the only thing that kind of resembled one of the classic College Sports conferences. Where everybody plays each other every year and so forth. And it was our league where we were the big brand. But now we are probably going to be in somebody else's league. It sucks. It kind of feels like we have been defeated and just joining somebody else to do all the heavy lifting.
But at the end of the day it is just all about money and doing what is best for Texas and OU, and Texas and OU got together and made the Big 12 back in the 1990s so I guess now they will destroy it here in the 2020s. Or maybe it wasn't us and OU but the TV execs who just decided "No we are not going to pay for the Big 12, break that shit up right now and give us our super conferences" and we had no choice. Who knows? Well somebody does, but not me.
I feel bad for the other schools in the league, except Baylor. All the non-Baylor schools deserved better.
I guess we cannot make it on our own and time to go hide under Bama's skirts and suck SEC cock like the rest of the country.
It sucks. I hate everything about it. But at the end of the day what I think doesn't matter. I will have to come to terms with it.
And now we are looking at two or three more seasons hanging out in the Big 12 with OU and the schools we fucked over. Like having to live with your Ex for a few years while your divorce is pending. That should be fun.

Unless some epic shenanigans are pulled off by both schools that allow this to happen as quickly as next season...the last part of what you wrote will by far be the worst part. Our already tough schedule just got tougher..every Big12 school has us and blowU as win at all costs...rest of the schedule be damned. ISU already plays with chips on shoulders, but will be extra salty and has the horses this year to back up the bluster..

Isn’t one of the main reasons for this move the fact that college athletes are about to get paid and we need to be among the elites for recruiting?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For Tech, OSU, TCU, and (maybe) Baylor, the only two plays are 1) try to add some also-ran schools to the Big XII to make it big enough to kinda matter, or 2) bolt for the PAC.

I actually think that the PAC expanding east to grab Tech, OSU, and TCU makes some mutual sense.

absolutely.  if PAC 12 can get to PAC 16 by adding three Big 12 teams and BYU, they could have some really workable pods:

Pacific Northwest:

Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

California: 

Stanford, Cal, USC, USC

Southwest:

Arizona, ASU, Texas Tech, TCU

Mountain Central:

Colorado, Utah, BYU, Oklahoma State

or they could sub out BYU for Iowa State or Kansas or Kansas State (whoever the Big 10 doesn't take)

The B1G needs exposure in growing parts of the country with football recruits, that really only leaves 3 options - Texas, Florida, or California.  Given the current situation (assuming UT/OU to the SEC), the only real play for the B1G expansion wise would be to go after the best programs in the P12.  All of USC/Oregon/Washington pull TV numbers that are mid to upper level B1G TV ratings.  If the SEC pulls off Texas/OU, the B1G's only real way to expand would be by grabbing the top schools in the PAC12 - the ACC has a GOR through 2035, the PAC12's expires in two years, USC/UCLA just rejected extending the PAC12 GOR last fall, so that tells you they are unhappy with the current financial situation.  Without Texas/OU, bringing anyone from the B12 to the P12 would be a revenue loss for the current P12 members, so that won't happen.

The B1G could counter the SEC's move to add UT/OU by going to 20 with the top P12 members.  Could form a Pacific division made up of USC/Oregon/Washington/UCLA.  Figure the B1G likes the Rose Bowl so much, bring it into the conference since the bowl game is likely going to die soon, or at least lose is significance.  Maybe offer Notre Dame the 5th spot in that pacific division so they can keep the game w/ USC and not feel landlocked in a B10 midwestern division.  4 divisions of 5 schools works extremely well from a scheduling standpoint - 9 conference games, you play 4 in division and 5 against a sister division that rotates every year.

This solves the leftover B12 problem too - the leftovers of the PAC12/Big12 join together to form a still relevant conference that's significantly better than the AAC/MAC/CUSA but would clearly be below the other three and would have a lower revenue budget for sure vs. what they currently have, but would be much stronger than AAC/MAC/CUSA.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

this year, yeah....but ISU has a really good recruiting class, best we have ever had, most of them will decomitt....plus Campbell will leave after this year.  In a year or two we will be like a MWC type team at best.  All the Big 12 leftovers will really.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

A Texas team averaging over 10 wins and competing for conference and playoffs could be the most high profile brand even if it were in the Sunbelt.

Conference affiliation has not been the issue. If Sark turns this thing around, our players and fans will be ridiculous, insufferable, and swimming in accolades.

Losing to Maryland and needing miracle wins against Tech and Kansas has relegated us and our brand.

In the long run, I think college football needs to remain National and moving Texas and OU to the SEC makes it less so in my opinion.

Im still with a Pac12 move to save college football from going NASCAR.

Pos rep for the NASCAR reference.

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm not familiar with either BYU's nor TCU's student handbook. Just pointing out a fact - BYU's fan base is much larger. Plus, who knows if BYU would even want to join? Their 2021 independent schedule is pretty good with 4 PAC teams already.

I won't be surprised if the PAC expanded with Tech, OSU, UH, and Boise St. Who knows?

My guess would be something like :

Lock - Tech, Lock - OSU, Highly likely - UH, and Maybe - Kansas if they don't get a B1G invite or TCU as a consolation prize.

Boise St doesn't really solve any of their issues when it comes to viewers (and therefore more $$$) and games in Central timezone.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Isn’t one of the main reasons for this move the fact that college athletes are about to get paid and we need to be among the elites for recruiting?

I think that is probably true. I bet all the NIL stuff is playing a big part here.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, via a few phone calls and texts I've tried to piece together a bit about how this has all come about. Here are the cliff notes. No idea if this is actually what happened, but it's what I've heard and there are a few interesting tidbits.

The TV deals made it clear Big 12 was in trouble. The NIL was like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Interestingly, OU was the key. They didn't want to go Pac 10 or Big 10, so the only option left was SEC, and they like money. They actually are the key decision makers on this, not Texas, but more on that in a moment.

So, OU was intent on heading to the SEC. That put Texas in a tough spot. If they went Big 10 or independent, they would continue to fight the "best conference" problem in recruiting, only it would be even worse because now it would be OU too saying it. Plus, Big 10 and Pac 10 just weren't as attractive, money-wise, demographics-wise, etc. (Rust belt). Texas had nowhere else to go.  Then, they realized they might as well walk into the best marketed conference and just slug it out for leadership.  With the SEC tag, the recruiting would improve. There would be more dollars. It would hurt A&M, it would be neutral wrt OU. Why not just go ahead and try to be the top brand in the top conference?

So if OU is the real force for this change, with Texas eventually realizing it made sense for Texas too, why is Texas getting tagged as the instigator and leader of this? Oklahoma State. OU has a tricky situation leaving behind OSU that is more difficult to manage than Texas leaving behind Tech.

Is this a done deal? Don't know, but what I do know is we are about to learn how savvy CDC and Hartzell are or are not.  To line up Texas legislature support for the move in the background before all of this became public is extremely difficult to do. If they have all of the Texas legislature votes that matter, that is a helluva job they've done.

As far as the move itself? It's brilliant.  The cheating of the SEC was the only real barrier to this move previously, and between NIL and a realization that the NCAA is toothless, Texas decided to just deal with it in favor of all of the benefits of SEC membership.

If the move falls apart and doesn't happen? Oh shit.

So OU is happy to make us look like the big bad so they can separate from OSU easier? Seems like we both wanted out of the dumpster fire and we're taking the PR "hit" as it were to facilitate this.

Edited by BornAndRaised

17 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I thought of that but then the rump Big12 is a Power Conference in name only.  Kinda like the Big East after Miami bolted.  No one will think of TTech and Houston as important undergraduate institutions if they are not in the most important PR league. 

Doesn't the state of Texas have plans to promote UH into the tier of IU, NCST, ASU?

lol no.  The state of Texas doesn't give a rat's ass about UH.

Yep. Texas is already an iffy SEC culture fit, and in particular the current students and young alumni profile way closer to UCLA, Cal, Washington, Arizona, and Colorado than aggy, pig, LSU, Missouri, and OU. Bruin is on point with the fan memes. But it’s no contest in terms if revenue and investment in football.
If you spend a little time in Gainesville, you'll find they have as healthy a self image as we do.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So if OU is the real force for this change, with Texas eventually realizing it made sense for Texas too, why is Texas getting tagged as the instigator and leader of this? Ok

I

Who gives a shit, seriously 

You PAC people are more worried about vacations.

Well yeah but I’m pretty transparent about that. It’s no more or less silly than caring that the AD is elite at milking every last dollar possible rather than very good at it. When the on field product is ass you gotta find something to make it fun.

That said, a schedule with annual matchups with OU, LSU, pig, and aggy… Yeah I’m down for that. Hopefully no pod nonsense ruins it.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, via a few phone calls and texts I've tried to piece together a bit about how this has all come about. Here are the cliff notes. No idea if this is actually what happened, but it's what I've heard and there are a few interesting tidbits.

The TV deals made it clear Big 12 was in trouble. The NIL was like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Interestingly, OU was the key. They didn't want to go Pac 10 or Big 10, so the only option left was SEC, and they like money. They actually are the key decision makers on this, not Texas, but more on that in a moment.

So, OU was intent on heading to the SEC. That put Texas in a tough spot. If they went Big 10 or independent, they would continue to fight the "best conference" problem in recruiting, only it would be even worse because now it would be OU too saying it. Plus, Big 10 and Pac 10 just weren't as attractive, money-wise, demographics-wise, etc. (Rust belt). Texas had nowhere else to go.  Then, they realized they might as well walk into the best marketed conference and just slug it out for leadership.  With the SEC tag, the recruiting would improve. There would be more dollars. It would hurt A&M, it would be neutral wrt OU. Why not just go ahead and try to be the top brand in the top conference?

So if OU is the real force for this change, with Texas eventually realizing it made sense for Texas too, why is Texas getting tagged as the instigator and leader of this? Oklahoma State. OU has a tricky situation leaving behind OSU that is more difficult to manage than Texas leaving behind Tech.

Is this a done deal? Don't know, but what I do know is we are about to learn how savvy CDC and Hartzell are or are not.  To line up Texas legislature support for the move in the background before all of this became public is extremely difficult to do. If they have all of the Texas legislature votes that matter, that is a helluva job they've done.

As far as the move itself? It's brilliant.  The cheating of the SEC was the only real barrier to this move previously, and between NIL and a realization that the NCAA is toothless, Texas decided to just deal with it in favor of all of the benefits of SEC membership.

If the move falls apart and doesn't happen? Oh shit.

There is no oh shit.  We will go to another conference.  And idk if there’s talk of us instigating but we’re the talk because we’re the bigger prize 

this year, yeah....but ISU has a really good recruiting class, best we have ever had, most of them will decomitt....plus Campbell will leave after this year.  In a year or two we will be like a MWC type team at best.  All the Big 12 leftovers will really.
I would expect the decommits to start as soon as this is officially announced. Gundy might finally push the retirement button or jump ship like he has flirted with multiple times over the past decade.

I guess you can't lose to OU if you don't play them. So we've got that going for us...which is nice.

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

PAC isn't taking TCU, nor is any serious conference.  The only way they landed in the Big12 was pure desperation on the conference's part.   Their 500 fans are not a financial incentive to anyone.

Pretty much deloss wanting to show the world he ran this conference

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It's going to be hilarious when we're 11-1 and headed to the playoff while aggy is 4-8 and they're gnashing their tooth about how we rode their coattails to the SEC.

Thank you. I literally can’t stop laughing 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TenCarryTom said:

The only thing I want is a billboard in College Station saying “We’re Baaaaack”

Heard on radio... Burnt Orange sign in aggyland that says "This is SEC Country"  

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/texas-am-this-sec-country-billboard/149940 

"Texas A&M puts up ‘This is SEC Country’ billboard in Austin"