2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

Portal:

Andrew Armstrong, WR, Texas A&M-@Commerce via Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne: 

Even though he’s listed at 6-foot-3, college coaches close to Armstrong have him at between 6-foot-5 and 6-foot-6 after his sophomore season in Commerce. After his 1.020 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns over 11 games this year, he’s received a ton of interest recently. 

Miami. NC State, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Purdue, Washington State, Missouri, and Virginia Tech have all offered over the last few weeks, and Texas is looking closer at the FCS star and first-team All-Southland Conference. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Has there been a more lucrative sponsorship for the corporation than "Bijan Mustardson"? I can't imagine they paid a remarkable amount for his endorsement, and they've earned regular mentions/impressions on nationally-televised games. But even if they paid $1m+, it seems the PR they've received is worth it. To me, these are the kinds of synergies and partnerships that make NIL interesting.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Has there been a more lucrative sponsorship for the corporation than "Bijan Mustardson"? I can't imagine they paid a remarkable amount for his endorsement, and they've earned regular mentions/impressions on nationally-televised games. But even if they paid $1m+, it seems the PR they've received is worth it. To me, these are the kinds of synergies and partnerships that make NIL interesting.  

I can't remember if it is Vuori or whatever, but the LSU gymnast did like a trial deal with them that blew up and then they signed her for mid-7 figures to do a full sponsorship of their gear. So whatever brand that was, they clearly felt like they were getting a big return out of the work. 

I don't mean to take away from the thrust of your point, because I agree with it. Just giving another example of the ways the corporates are and will find value. I'll also argue that Lamborghini hasn't probably ever had as much mainstream mention as they have this season through Bijan, at least in the state of Texas. They wound up with multiple free tv mentions and millions of online impressions from the coverage.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

I can't remember if it is Vuori or whatever, but the LSU gymnast did like a trial deal with them that blew up and then they signed her for mid-7 figures to do a full sponsorship of their gear. So whatever brand that was, they clearly felt like they were getting a big return out of the work. 

I don't mean to take away from the thrust of your point, because I agree with it. Just giving another example of the ways the corporates are and will find value. I'll also argue that Lamborghini hasn't probably ever had as much mainstream mention as they have this season through Bijan, at least in the state of Texas. They wound up with multiple free tv mentions and millions of online impressions from the coverage.

The hot LSU gymnast? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some food for thought as the portal is about to be opened on Monday:

No one knows how crazy the portal is going to be and how deep every program's pockets are going to be, so who Texas, or anyone else, takes is a great unknown. One thing is certain - we are about to hear more bullshit that isn't true regarding money and offers than we have heard in the prior 20 years combined. Addison was allegedly going to get $1M from USC. He wound up getting like $400k. His agent later got him some other corporate stuff, but that's a glimpse. Mathis got like $250-$300k at Nebraska and everyone was tossing around $600-$700k as the number in the spring. That is all about to be put on steroids. The Bijans of the world are few and far between. Everyone is going to be Evan Stewart in this thing. No one has a bottomless pit of money. The bullshit factor is immeasurable, in my mind. Keep that in your minds when you see players:

1) Being rumored to be going everywhere and then staying put (irrespective of program) because suddenly they realize that the money elsewhere isn't as bountiful as they'd convinced themselves it was

2) Going somewhere shocking (because a random program decided to break the bank on that one guy)

3) Using programs like Texas to get raises, just as in coaching searches

One thing that is still very immature is the way programs are aligning with corporate NIL. I think that will be built into a strength for UT, USC, and a few others over the next few years. No one is hosting a player with built-in pitches from corporate sponsors yet. Coaches, frankly, have no clue how to do that. It's going to take a higher level of sophistication and planning than that of what exists today. Want to lure a sure-fire starting WR and edge to Texas? Show them the numbers that Dell, Lambo, and Indeed are bringing to the table for them to do a couple of events, placements, and commercials.

Anyway, I know the inevitable "gee, I thought we had NIL figured out" and "we've got to moneywhip all of these guys, we're by gawd Texas!" and "I can't believe random WR X got $2million to go to Miami" posts will still happen, but here's hoping this board keeps the flow of ignorance on this shit down to a trickle. 

So, we can or can’t afford Waddle?

Actually, this may be a stupid question but I am curious how the Lamborghini NIL deal works when Bijan leaves.  Do they offer a deal to another current player/recruit/portal target or do they stay with a NFL Bijan as a sponsor?

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Addison was allegedly going to get $1M from USC. He wound up getting like $400k. His agent later got him some other corporate stuff, but that's a glimpse.

I wonder if that's connected to some of the Worthy smoke (i.e., there's a little "we could have had Addison for less than Worthy?!?!?" buyer's remorse on behalf of the UT NIL pioneering donors). 

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Actually, this may be a stupid question but I am curious how the Lamborghini NIL deal works when Bijan leaves.  Do they offer a deal to another current player/recruit/portal target or do they stay with a NFL Bijan as a sponsor?

I think a big chunk of the Lambo deal is them loaning him the car for free while he’s here.  It’s not a deal with Lambo corporate, it’s a deal with the Austin dealership.  I doubt the local Austin dealer will want to pay Bijan to drive one of their cars around Jacksonville.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Regarding the Waddle joke, it's one of the many Surly Dad Jokes that have long ago worn out their welcome. I wish there was an "ignore" feature for certain words and phrases, but here we are.

As to NIL and deals with players, they inherently cannot survive the player's time on campus and I believe cannot go for more than one year. There's nuance inside of things based on state or NCAA rules that one of the NIL dorks like @SquishMitten or @RGBIII can further push us to nap time on, replete with words like "compliance" and "eligibility". 

I'm sure if Lambo thinks the deal was great, they'll either try to cut one with Bijan when he goes pro, or the next big UT star that fits their profile, or both. They're not obligated to do shit though.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I wonder if that's connected to some of the Worthy smoke (i.e., there's a little "we could have had Addison for less than Worthy?!?!?" buyer's remorse on behalf of the UT NIL pioneering donors). 

No. Addison was pursued in earnest. He wanted to go to USC and he believed he was going to get paid $1M in doing so. Riley was making shit up as he went along and eventually they found the money, but that was after the fact.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If this mustard company blows up they may double down on their partnership as well. They're interesting parallels because I think Vuori was a startup when they first partnered with that LSU gymnast, and now they've raised like $400 million. I was thinking about it from the angle of small local companies who see obvious partnerships based on something as ridiculous as Bijan/Dijan name similarities. That sponsorship can result in substantial exposure for what I guess would be a relatively modest investment. Obviously Bijan is a unicorn. But this is probably the model for a case study on how/why NIL can be beneficial for both parties. 

Regarding Lambo, my understanding is that the sponsorship was with the Austin dealership. Since it's resulted in national exposure, I wonder if the local dealership can go back to corporate and negotiate a portion of the funds they paid to be reimbursed due to the national exposure it generated. 

31 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Plus, the mustard got used for a Pluckers sauce. It's actually pretty good. Bijan Mustardson can continue after Bijan graduates; they'll just need an updated contract

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The lambo is on a lease. I don't believe they paid Bijan anything, just gave him a lambo to drive. The contract will end as soon as Bijan stops being part of the football team at UT. Then lambo can decide to renew it or not with him. I'm hoping they'll continue giving a couple to UT football players. They already did it with JWhitt so seems they might be prepped for that route

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hoo boy ... 

image.thumb.png.555cd42da7a8336df6fdc9c6a088dc35.png

I mean - I like to think Flood has a pretty good handle on what he wants and how to recruit - but that's a player we laughed at Alabama taking back when he was thought to be part of a Zach Evans deal.

Only played in two games this season.  Was he hurt or 5th string?

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Taking anyone at OL that isn't a proven solid RT would be outrageously fucking stupid. Enough with offering life rafts to Bama bread that Saban is processing out of his program. 

Also dear lord usually even 'hot' gymnasts are a seven that look better because of the flattering tights and setting. That girl is a spinal tap 11. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yes - paid twitter advertisement is definitive.

Maybe not definitive, but it's not like they have the power to give him any copy they want and have him post it. He could have easily told them he wasn't saying that so take it as another social media post where player says they're returning.

It's more funny that he chose to do it with the paid post. 

Also, on Damieon George, he only played in 2 games this year, but he played in 12 games last year including 3 starts. And FWIW PFF graded him at a 65.0 in 268 snaps last year and a 70.2 in 20 snaps this year. Our starters this year were 68.4 - 54.4 - 63.4 - 51.7 - 68.8. 

George was not thought of well on this recruiting board during that cycle, but I think he would be a good addition. I wouldn't do anything that would rock the boat with our guys on campus though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Also, on Damieon George, he only played in 2 games this year, but he played in 12 games last year including 3 starts. And FWIW PFF graded him at a 65.0 in 268 snaps last year and a 70.2 in 20 snaps this year. Our starters this year were 68.4 - 54.4 - 63.4 - 51.7 - 68.8. 

George was not thought of well on this recruiting board during that cycle, but I think he would be a good addition. I wouldn't do anything that would rock the boat with our guys on campus though. 

At the risk of running off the young guys idk. It’s a balance act imo. 

Guard play was really bad for us this year. Who knows about next year 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

At the risk of running off the young guys idk. It’s a balance act imo. 

Guard play was really bad for us this year. Who knows about next year 

Guys on campus should 100% be the priority. But if we take an OL George is a good option. Better than what we were looking at last year. 

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes there are replacements for Worthy, but he still is a very special receiver, even though for whatever reason we didn’t see it this year. Special receivers typically make a huge difference in offense productivity. 

Just get JWhitt to stick and give him 8-10 targets a game.   Baller.  

• Hook 'Em 3