2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No idea if this was posted already or not - but Banks is following this FCS AA punter and grad transfer:

https://monmouthhawks.com/sports/football/roster/ryan-kost/13732

He averaged 51.3 yards vs. North Alabama. Overall average was 44.3

2021 (Senior)

• Punted in all 11 games
  • First Team All-Big South selection
  • First Team All-ECAC
  • Preseason All-Big South Honorable Mention
  • Averaged 44.3 yards per punt which led the Big South and ranked eighth in the nation
  • Had 12 punts of 50+ yards
  • 17 of his 40 punts landed inside opponent's 20-yard line
  • Big South Special Teams Player of the Week (11/8)
  • Averaged 51.3 yards per punt and had a career-long 62-yard vs. North Alabama (11/6)
  • Served as the holder on extra points and field goals for Nick Null
Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 7

Kicking and punting have been signature positions at Texas for a long time.  We’ve won a lot of games because we won field position battles, then converted when it came down to FG.

I cannot believe what I saw in our KO and punting games this season … hard to imagine there weren’t a couple of “guys” watching from the stands who weren’t more capable.  That said, Carrot Top has been a rather pleasant surprise.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ian Boyd (yeah I know) mentioned this guy this morning as a potential grad transfer.

https://247sports.com/Article/Arizona-State-QB-Paul-Tyson-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-198951265/

From the article he is the great grandson of Bear Bryant and was at Alabama during Sark's time there.

35 minutes ago, Bevo said:

https://monmouthhawks.com/sports/football/roster/ryan-kost/13732

He averaged 51.3 yards vs. North Alabama. Overall average was 44.3

2021 (Senior)

• Punted in all 11 games
  • First Team All-Big South selection
  • First Team All-ECAC
  • Preseason All-Big South Honorable Mention
  • Averaged 44.3 yards per punt which led the Big South and ranked eighth in the nation
  • Had 12 punts of 50+ yards
  • 17 of his 40 punts landed inside opponent's 20-yard line
  • Big South Special Teams Player of the Week (11/8)
  • Averaged 51.3 yards per punt and had a career-long 62-yard vs. North Alabama (11/6)
  • Served as the holder on extra points and field goals for Nick Null

Hudson Card replacement!

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Ol' Sonny Dykes hit the transfer portal hard before the season and it came up all 7s for him. What types of guys did he go after? Experienced high production guys from smaller conferences looking to step up to p5? 

I'd say whatever worked that well is a  strategy to consider. 

We should recruit Jamoi Hodge into the portal to come injure opposing QBs for us

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Ol' Sonny Dykes hit the transfer portal hard before the season and it came up all 7s for him. What types of guys did he go after? Experienced high production guys from smaller conferences looking to step up to p5? 

Well, his two transfer starters on offense were Ali (starting center from SMU that followed him) and Wiley (not anything special).

Defensively he got a LB from Navy who didn’t do much while he was at Navy but Dykes liked him when he played against SMU, a CB from ULM and a S from Colorado. The safety (Mark Perry) might be the best of the bunch. The other two are just decent starters.

Majority of their contributors were guys already on the roster that Patterson left.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

This site can get too harsh on Ketch. When I want a hot take on Buffalo wings, there’s absolutely NOBODY better in the business to go to…..if your hands aren’t permanently stained with butter and cayenne, GTFU….

Regarding actual portal shit, what’s a good guess on how many on the roster will jump in and test the waters?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Pearson got permanently benched after dropping one snap in game 1, so I think it’s safe to say he was on really thin ice.  Either the coaches don’t like what they see in practice, or he’s a murderer.  

two snaps.. in a row, followed by a shanked punt on the last one. 

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Is Pearson dropping/shanking every other punt in practice? He has a huge leg.

Yeah, after watching this kid a few times in warmups, I always come away from it wondering why he isn't the starter.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Kicking and punting have been signature positions at Texas for a long time.  We’ve won a lot of games because we won field position battles, then converted when it came down to FG.

I cannot believe what I saw in our KO and punting games this season … hard to imagine there weren’t a couple of “guys” watching from the stands who weren’t more capable.  That said, Carrot Top has been a rather pleasant surprise.

What was wrong with our KOs this season? I feel like one of the blessings with this staff is that every KO isn't a nail biter, personally. Agreed that punting has sucked and Auburn has been shockingly capable. Going into the season, I don't know if a single person following Texas expected anything above a horror film unfolding at PK (except Auburn's father, @Hank Scorpio, of course).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What was wrong with our KOs this season? I feel like one of the blessings with this staff is that every KO isn't a nail biter, personally. Agreed that punting has sucked and Auburn has been shockingly capable. Going into the season, I don't know if a single person following Texas expected anything above a horror film unfolding at PK (except Auburn's father, @Hank Scorpio, of course).

image.thumb.jpeg.85498d148041a788158f7b062207d774.jpeg

26 touchbacks (and 3 OOB) out of 82 kickoffs is good?  OK ..

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chambers has had a hell of a journey.

All State WR from Maryland with no D1 offers.  Enrolled at Tyler JC and RS the fall semester.  Transferred to Fort Scott CC for Spring Ball.  Offered by Sacred Heart, an FCS school, and played a season there (51 catches, 811yards 8tds).  Committed to UTSA in July 2020 and then decommitted before arriving at FIU in December of that year.

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

His main strategy was to have Patterson leave him a shitload of 4th and 5th year guys who had been well coached. 

4 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

My point is Stone gave the opponent 53 opportunities to score on KR.

Not much of a point if the average starting position of kicks that were returned was inside 25 yards, is it? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

image.thumb.jpeg.85498d148041a788158f7b062207d774.jpeg

26 touchbacks (and 3 OOB) out of 82 kickoffs is good?  OK ..

1) That's less touchbacks than I was thinking, so good to learn.

2) I was thinking more about the efficacy of KOs overall, so my bad on talking across your point. 

3) It does make me wonder if Stone was kicking to the 2-5 yard line on purpose, or if that is really just his capability. Like, if Texas played Achane, it would make zero sense to let him have the ball. Could Stone just be instructed to put it out the back of the EZ? Or have we witnessed his capability? I guess none of us would know and I may also be giving Banks way too much credit on strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Marion just started following this grad transfer:

https://fordhamsports.com/sports/football/roster/dequece-carter/11803

56 catches for 1166 yards and 13tds at Fordham

Woodberry Forest (a solid prep school) for high school and then a Marketing grad at Fordham - should be a reasonably smart guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not much of a point if the average starting position of kicks that were returned was inside 25 yards, is it? 

I just don’t get giving the opponent an unnecessary opportunity to score .. especially by explosive play which has a way of flipping momentum, etc.  I’m happy with a simple TB and the long field that goes with it.

Just now, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I just don’t get giving the opponent an unnecessary opportunity to score .. especially by explosive play which has a way of flipping momentum, etc.  I’m happy with a simple TB and the long field that goes with it.

I'm imagining you nodding along every time Rod Gilmore loses his mind at a coach going for it on fourth down between the 40s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

I'm imagining you nodding along every time Rod Gilmore loses his mind at a coach going for it on fourth down between the 40s.

Kicking out of the endzone whenever possible is still firmly entrenched as conventional wisdom at all levels of football.  Unlike going for 4ths downs in minus territory.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2) I was thinking more about the efficacy of KOs overall, so my bad on talking across your point. 

3) It does make me wonder if Stone was kicking to the 2-5 yard line on purpose, or if that is really just his capability. Like, if Texas played Achane, it would make zero sense to let him have the ball. Could Stone just be instructed to put it out the back of the EZ? Or have we witnessed his capability? I guess none of us would know and I may also be giving Banks way too much credit on strategy. 

3) I wonder about any kicker this side of the NFL possessing that kind of KO touch.  I think Stone was maxed out and Sark used him to protect our only PK weapon from KO danger.  Who knows?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The fact that so many of the kicks seemed designed to go to the front corners of the endzone always suggested to me that they were purposefully having him kick it there instead of kicking it into the endzone, but there is no way to know.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

There’s a kickoff return for a TD about .001% of the time there’s a kickoff. Compare that to being able to make the offense go 3-5 more yards per drive for the entire season and it’s pretty obvious which option is more advantageous.

Whichever option you’re happy with because you haven’t thought the matter through is pretty fucking irrelevant. 

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

3) I wonder about any kicker this side of the NFL possessing that kind of KO touch.  I think Stone was maxed out and Sark used him to protect our only PK weapon from KO danger.  Who knows?

Lol wut. College kickers can absolutely place kickoffs wherever the coach wants them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Did you guys watch thee games? Kick-offs and coverage on those kick-offs weren't an issue. All in all they were a net positive. A high kickoff inside the 5 at a corner is better than kicking it in the end zone if you have a good coverage team. 

Special teams all around were fine, outside of Machete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There’s a kickoff return for a TD about .001% of the time there’s a kickoff. Compare that to being able to make the offense go 3-5 more yards per drive for the entire season and it’s pretty obvious which option is more advantageous.

Whichever option you’re happy with because you haven’t thought the matter through is pretty fucking irrelevant. 

Lol wut. College kickers can absolutely place kickoffs wherever the coach wants them. 

The actual stat is that ~1 - 1.5% of kickoffs go for touchdowns. In recent years about half of kickoffs go for touchbacks. 

Our kickoff team is great though - no argument there. That said, I'm still in favor of kicking touchbacks because of injuries. Players are significantly more likely to get injured on return plays. We're playing a lot of starters on kickoffs. I'd be selective about when to try to gain that 4 yard advantage. 

ETA: Head and knee injuries specifically are more likely to occur on kickoffs and punts. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo