2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

The actual stat is that ~1 - 1.5% of kickoffs go for touchdowns. In recent years about half of kickoffs go for touchbacks. 

Our kickoff team is great though - no argument there. That said, I'm still in favor of kicking touchbacks because of injuries. Players are significantly more likely to get injured on return plays. We're playing a lot of starters on kickoffs. I'd be selective about when to try to gain that 4 yard advantage. 

You’re conflating kickoffs with kickoff returns in your post. I said kickoffs but your stat is for returns. Either way, there were only 27 kickoff return TDs in all of FBS this year and there are roughly 800 games played, so it’s not a very likely threat, especially since teams can still down KOs even if they don’t reach the end zone. 

All this goes to the initial point, which was VirginiaLonghorn complaining about our KOs, since he assumes the kickers goal was always to kick it as far as possible, but there’s a lot of reasons why that’s not a good assumption. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Apparently there is mutual interest between us and the Oregon WR who just hit the portal. He’s reached out to us and vice versa 

I want. 500 yards as a true freshman. Clearly has upside

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’re conflating kickoffs with kickoff returns in your post. I said kickoffs but your stat is for returns. Either way, there were only 27 kickoff return TDs in all of FBS this year and there are roughly 800 games played, so it’s not a very likely threat, especially since teams can still down KOs even if they don’t reach the end zone. 

All this goes to the initial point, which was VirginiaLonghorn complaining about our KOs, since he assumes the kickers goal was always to kick it as far as possible, but there’s a lot of reasons why that’s not a good assumption. 

Good catch. So the rate of TDs on kickoffs as a whole would be ~.75%. Teams choosing to return against us was a net positive this year for sure. Injuries just suck. I've also wondered about how fatigue has factored in a couple times. If our D is on the field for 90 plays in a game it can't help to have a bunch of starters running 40+ yard sprints. Not sure if we subbed in those games though. 

I may be in the minority on this, but I don't think we should be targeting receivers who have not been highly productive already. Neyor, Thompson, Cook, Niblett, and maybe Worthy if he stays, are guys you are going to want to see the field. If a guy hasn't had 500+ yards receiving or isn't some super stud WR recruit that got screwed over somehow, then I don't see the point. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I may be in the minority on this, but I don't think we should be targeting receivers who have not been highly productive already. Neyor, Thompson, Cook, Niblett, and maybe Worthy if he stays, are guys you are going to want to see the field. If a guy hasn't had 500+ yards receiving or isn't some super stud WR recruit that got screwed over somehow, then I don't see the point. 

I don't want to have to rely on Cook or Niblett in a 4 minute drill to win the game.  Both of those guys have incredibly high ceilings - but I'd rather have somebody with a little experience to play in those moments on the road against Alabama.  

I think Thornton is right on the line, production-wise, of what we should be looking for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

So 53 REC 649* YDS 2 TD is a "no thanks"? (*120 of which were in one game)

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Pretty sure he was talking about Thornton who had like 150 of his yards in one game against Utah.

image.thumb.png.8810fbac8b6a332e11260c3f8a65320d.png

averaging 21 a catch, so he is certainly a big play WR. I am not sure how he was used, but that is very impressive.

Work ethic has never been a question for Mount St. Joseph (MD) wide receiver Dont’e Thornton as he and teammate Ausar Crawley took in two-a-days this week. The 6-foot-5, 205-pound wide receiver looked to improve on his 4.63 40 time from spring of 2019, so following their 5:30 AM workout, the duo hit the field on Tuesday to test their improvement ahead of skill work.

Thornton posted a 4.43, 4.43 and 4.47-second in the laser timed 40 yard dash. And with a frame to add even more strength to an athletic skillset, it’s clear why Thornton sits within the top five nationally in SI All-American’s wide receiver rankings.

https://www.si.com/college/maryland/inside-black-gold/donte-thornton-recruitment

I know absolutely nothing about him, but he seems like a very high ceiling type player

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thornton wouldn't be a bad take as a replacement for guys like Cain or Troy if they portal out. You need someone to provide a higher floor than we currently have behind Neyor in case his recovery is set back. If we land Lane then you probably wouldn't need him but Lane seems fairly set to USC at this point. 

edit: lmao and yep there goes T.O. announcing the departure. I fully expect Cain joins him soon and that definitely opens a spot for Thornton. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Thornton wouldn't be a bad take as a replacement for guys like Cain or Troy if they portal out. You need someone to provide a higher floor than we currently have behind Neyor in case his recovery is set back. If we land Lane then you probably wouldn't need him but Lane seems fairly set to USC at this point. 

edit: lmao and yep there goes T.O. announcing the departure. I fully expect Cain joins him soon and that definitely opens a spot for Thornton. 

You talking about the recruit Lane or the transfer Chase Lane? I assume/hope you're talking about the recruit but wasn't sure.

18 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I would certainly take Thornton over anyone getting processed. Still would like to know has many targets he had. He was targeted 24 times this year.

Edited by Longhornlove

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You talking about the recruit Lane or the transfer Chase Lane? I assume/hope you're talking about the recruit but wasn't sure.

Hah! The recruit, Ja'kobi, of course. Seems like the one kid among our current WR targets that could actually come in and produce in that spot as a true FR if things don't pan out with Neyor. If we land him I think that probably gives us enough a floor we don't end up taking a bigger bodied bench type guy from the portal. We miss on Lane, as seems likely, and Thornton types make more sense. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I would certainly take Thornton over anyone getting processed. Still would like to know has many targets he had.

Thornton will leave Oregon after recording 17 receptions (on 24 targets) for 366 yards and one touchdown to go along with two rushes for six yards in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I would certainly take Thornton over anyone getting processed. Still would like to know has many targets he had.

He is certainly a physical talent. Not comparing attitudes or anything like that, but the first comparison I think of is Agiye Hall. Obviously very talented, but we have no idea if he can run routes and catch the ball. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

My point is Stone gave the opponent 53 opportunities to score on KR.

but what we don't know is if that was intentional.  He seems fully capable of blasting it into the endzone every time, but did Banks want the other team to return it because our coverage was so good?  We really don't know.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

And apparently at least one other that should cause some discussion. 

If this is the level of guy that is leaving that is going to “cause discussion” I am going to be ecstatic.

So we have a WR with no knees and an EDGE that looks to be already buried on the depth chart (and is a severe position of need for an impact player in the portal) so far. Next they are going to say we are loosing several of the buried OL and a couple jags in the secondary…

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Laxtonto said:

If this is the level of guy that is leaving that is going to “cause discussion” I am going to be ecstatic.

So we have a WR with no knees and an EDGE that looks to be already buried on the depth chart (and is a severe position of need for an impact player in the portal) so far. Next they are going to say we are loosing several of the buried OL and a couple jags in the secondary…

We’ll see if you’re ecstatic when it’s verified. 

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Agreed completely. Dorbah is the kind of high-ranking recruit that has killed Texas since 2010 forward. The services liked him, but the programs perennially in or around CFP contention weren't really on him. Good luck to him, in any event.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2