2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

He’s probably a good kid and perhaps has become a friend to you and others, but Liebrock needs to hop in the DeLorean and get up to 88. Yes, injuries suck.

My first thought on the position change post was Liebrock or Juan to edge.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed completely. Dorbah is the kind of high-ranking recruit that has killed Texas since 2010 forward. The services liked him, but the programs perennially in or around CFP contention weren't really on him. Good luck to him, in any event.

Dorbah seemed like a great kid but I can't remember the last HP football recruit that amounted to much at the big-time collegiate level after Stafford.

4 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

I'm intrigued by this Thornton kid now. Compare him to our WR room.

image.thumb.png.c90eb2b76240b3c8588dc548ae612adf.png

Can't believe Sanders caught 49 balls this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

Try this - so the thread talk can happen here, and you can go to the last page of the comments there and it's all linked up and up to date. So you can comment there and whatever.

I currently have it enabled for wiki style editing, so anyone that has Top Contributor, Surly 1%, Editor or Moderator permissions can edit the sticky.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Saw on twitter, someone can check and see if true or not. 
“One of the guys IT thought was leaving is now likely staying and possibly changing positions”

Nahlin said “There might be a positive surprise.” From there random morons have run with endless speculation. I think CTJ said something about Whittington possibly coming back for another year on a NIL deal so I’m assuming that’s what Nahlin is referring. 

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Dorbah seemed like a great kid but I can't remember the last HP football recruit that amounted to much at the big-time collegiate level after Stafford.

Can't believe Sanders caught 49 balls this year.

He dropped a couple catchable balls too, next year he’s winning the Mackey award. 

10 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Nahlin said “There might be a positive surprise.” From there random morons have run with endless speculation. I think CTJ said something about Whittington possibly coming back for another year on a NIL deal so I’m assuming that’s what Nahlin is referring. 

It might make more financial sense for Whitt to stick around. Going in the sixth round with the possibility of getting cut seems a hell of a lot worse than a guaranteed million cash and the chance to up your stock.

Just now, mwaadeeb said:

It might make more financial sense for Whitt to stick around. Going in the sixth round with the possibility of getting cut seems a hell of a lot worse than a guaranteed million cash and the chance to up your stock.

It wouldn't be anything approaching $1M if it were to come together. I don't think so, at least. The competition is basically whatever his draft grade is. If that is UFA, then low 6 figures probably gets it done. 6th-7th rounders make high 6 figures these days. I assume if the guy sticks around, it's due to a UFA grade and his belief that he can improve that a little with one more solid season.

In Whittington's case, that might be true. If he had another fully healthy season and played with a better, more experienced QB like a year-older Ewers, he might be the rare case where someone values him more highly with that extra year older. Probably not, but not absurd.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Card is about to graduate from McCombs with what, a BBA in finance? Is there some notion that the guy wants to go pro? If not, and he's going to leverage his skills to get a high quality MBA, why on earth would he go anywhere but to an elite institution?

He was a top 50 recruit, is a competitor and has 3 years of eligibility left.  That kid still has an NFL contract on his mind and I'd be surprised if the quality of the MBA program is in his top 3 deciding factors.  

Edited by 40acredropout
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Someone should have told all of this to @closetohumping last fall!

Card is about to graduate from McCombs with what, a BBA in finance? Is there some notion that the guy wants to go pro? If not, and he's going to leverage his skills to get a high quality MBA, why on earth would he go anywhere but to an elite institution?

Hudson should definitely prioritize academics. But it’d be short-sighted to enter a top MBA program without any post-grad work experience… The entire value proposition is being able to pivot industries/functions after >3 years in the workforce.

Would love to get another year from Whittington, but I just have a feeling he's gone.  Agents always sell these kids that they'll go 2-3 rounds higher than the draft grade says because it only takes one team to like them, and the agent has a contact with such and such team and they're telling me that if you're available in the 3rd round, they'd take you in a heartbeat....blah blah blah.  

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

Would love to get another year from Whittington, but I just have a feeling he's gone.  Agents always sell these kids that they'll go 2-3 rounds higher than the draft grade says because it only takes one team to like them, and the agent has a contact with such and such team and they're telling me that if you're available in the 3rd round, they'd take you in a heartbeat....blah blah blah.  

He seems like a guy the patriots take in the 6th round, put him at slot and he becomes a star........During the Brady years anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It wouldn't be anything approaching $1M if it were to come together. I don't think so, at least. The competition is basically whatever his draft grade is. If that is UFA, then low 6 figures probably gets it done. 6th-7th rounders make high 6 figures these days. I assume if the guy sticks around, it's due to a UFA grade and his belief that he can improve that a little with one more solid season.

In Whittington's case, that might be true. If he had another fully healthy season and played with a better, more experienced QB like a year-older Ewers, he might be the rare case where someone values him more highly with that extra year older. Probably not, but not absurd.

NFL minimum salary is $700k IF you make the team. 7th rounders get like $100k signing bonus I think. UDFA signing bonus much less, as low as nothing. So a lot of risk/reward if you're on the bubble for making a roster.

9 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

During his preseason Youtube show he constantly said this would be his last year no matter what happened.  But money talks so we will see.  I feel like he was greatly under utilized and he may feel the same will happen again next year and just take his chances getting picked up by an NFL team.  

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

NFL minimum salary is $700k IF you make the team. 7th rounders get like $100k signing bonus I think. UDFA signing bonus much less, as low as nothing. So a lot of risk/reward if you're on the bubble for making a roster.

Practice squad is about $200,000 per year, which is probably the most relevant amount to a lot of these guys. Very few 7th rounders will make the 53. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Practice squad is about $200,000 per year, which is probably the most relevant amount to a lot of these guys. Very few 7th rounders will make the 53. 

Curious how much of a cut that the agent gets out of the 200k. And how much does that really matter vs NIL payouts and taxes.

37 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

Same....would like to see Whitt's production under a more experienced Ewers.

2 minutes ago, burdine said:

Card is leaving the State of Texas.  A pretty big time program with a very good B school.  

Assuming you are correct, candidates would be:

UCLA, Notre Dame, Florida, Virginia, Penn State, Arizona State, Minnesota, Michigan State, Utah.

One of thoooooose?

It's why she makes the big bucks. 

$2.3 M so far per latest story

Olivia Dunne signed with WME Sports for representation last August and announced her first exclusive brand partnership with the activewear brand Vuori the following month.

More deals followed with brands such as PlantFuela, a protein and supplements company, Bartleby, a study tool for college students that is owned by Barnes & Noble, TooFaced cosmetics, GrubHub, Madden/EA Sports and American Eagle.

58 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He seems like a guy the patriots take in the 6th round, put him at slot and he becomes a star........During the Brady years anyway.

If the Patriots draft a WR odds are they will suck.  Belichick has always struggled drafting this position.  He can pull a CB off the street and they become a pro bowler but drafting a good WR is basically Edelman who was a QB in college.   Interesting and sickening to a Patriots fan is a article below from a few years ago.  This years WR is Thornton from Baylor and so far hasn’t shown much compared to guys like Pickens on the Steelers and others drafted after Thornton.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/9/30/22701424/patriots-drafting-wide-receivers-tom-brady-bill-belichick