2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Second part of what you said-  yes.  Our 3rd best receiver had 4 catches this year.   I still can't believe that's an actual stat.

Wease was like OU's 4th guy though.  We can easily find more proven guys... guess the real question is how much value you place on his prospect pedigree.  

Thornton from Oregon is more intriguing with a higher upside. IMHO

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Second part of what you said-  yes.  Our 3rd best receiver had 4 catches this year.   I still can't believe that's an actual stat.

Wease was like OU's 4th guy though.  We can easily find more proven guys... guess the real question is how much value you place on his prospect pedigree.  

That doesn't even seem conceivable. My goodness- I watched every play and I didn't even realize it was that bad.  #3 receiver with 4 catches?  In a functional offense your 3rd WR running 11 should have like 4 catches a game fairly often. I know we ran a bunch of 12 or 21 but not that much to explain that number.  Good lord. 

Jesus, I guess I underestimated the power and chaos of the combined fuckery that is NIL and the portal. The days of players working their asses off in the spring into improve on a sub standard fall are dead and gone. Blame the coach, blame the system, hold out for the highest bidder, wham bam thank you ma’am.

Sorry for being a newb to this topic, but can someone tell me why Worthy is unhappy and potentially seeking a transfer?

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That doesn't even seem conceivable. My goodness- I watched every play and I didn't even realize it was that bad.  #3 receiver with 4 catches?  In a functional offense your 3rd WR running 11 should have like 4 catches a game fairly often. I know we ran a bunch of 12 or 21 but not that much to explain that number.  Good lord. 

I had same reaction.  Actually I lied.  I just looked to see Cain had 4 but didn't look further down to see Savion with 5.

Worthy - 53

Whittington- 45

Red- 5

Cain- 4

Milton / Sulser - 2

Thompson / Omeire / Hall - 1

As you alluded to-  obviously JT and RB's ate up a decent share but it feels like the playbook has to be seriously limited when there was obviously zero confidence in anyone besides Worthy/Whitt.

Edited by 40acredropout

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not unhappy, but seeking the most money during each allowed negotiating window. 

I'm sure it has been buried somewhere amongst inane discussion re punters, chicken fried steak and hotel curtains, but when is the deadline for guys to go in the portal and when does this crazy shit end?

2 minutes ago, hobbs said:

I'm sure it has been buried somewhere amongst inane discussion re punters, chicken fried steak and hotel curtains, but when is the deadline for guys to go in the portal and when does this crazy shit end?

It’s just starting. Better buckle up

The first window is Dec 5th - Jan 18th

There will also be a 15 day window after Spring practices in May

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

NIL has awoken GM Wulaw and given him a reason to visit the recruiting forum instead of hanging out in baseball only during the offseason. 

Sorry- that was totally meant as a question.  I don't have any knowledge from watching or following him to know if that is accurate.  Was trying to gauge opinion on if he would be someone we'd even bother speaking to as an addition. 

The larger point is a valid one though, and that is that we need to seriously money ball this shit.  Hanging out with my buddy that is a D1 baseball head guy at a sunbelt school he said that it's probably becoming half his job (and his most important single task) playing GM with roster management.  They have very few resources and are stumbling around blindly in the beginning of this NIL age, as I'm sure most people are, but they were starting to do basic analytics of roster construction and scholarship amounts allocated and money usage and trying to figure out other stuff related to team building that was spurred on by that stuff.  I know @closetojumpingsaid that the cap guy probably is best put in a position with the collectives and that makes intuitive sense, but every program better have a really good idea on how they want to handle the active Darwinism at work. I think Sark is actually going to be pretty open to that and good at it.  He's young enough and open minded enough to take in new information and that's going to be important (second only to resources I'd bet) going forward.  

I know we have a lot of fans bitching about this environment b/c it's new, but I can't imagine this isn't a huge net win for us.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

We will soon find out how big of a destination school Texas really is here shortly. At first glance after last years OL class that we are going to be in a very good position. Thanks to those who had a hand in making that happen including all you Burnt ends flair fuckers.

#1 QB (and overall) recruit in the country and #1 RB in the country getting ready to sign on shows a lot.  We will be good man. We won't get them all but we will get way more than our fair share. 

• Hook 'Em 8

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I get this but do players have to enter the portal to negotiate?  

Nobody has to enter to negotiate NIL, anyone can offer any enrolled player at any school, coaching staff just can’t have contact and NIL can’t be used to entice. If I wanted to give Caleb Williams NIL money I can, I just can’t tell him it’s only if he comes to Texas

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Nobody has to enter to negotiate NIL, anyone can offer any enrolled player at any school, coaching staff just can’t have contact and NIL can’t be used to entice. If I wanted to give Caleb Williams NIL money I can, I just can’t tell him it’s only if he comes to Texas

I’ll tell him what’s his phone number.
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

I had same reaction.  Actually I lied.  I just looked to see Cain had 4 but didn't look further down to see Savion with 5.

Worthy - 53

Whittington- 45

Red- 5

Cain- 4

Milton / Sulser - 2

Thompson / Omeire / Hall - 1

As you alluded to-  obviously JT and RB's ate up a decent share but it feels like the playbook has to be seriously limited when there was obviously zero confidence in anyone besides Worthy/Whitt.

Pretty clear that by the middle of the year we didn’t have a reliable 3rd receiver and the staff started using Keilan and Sanders as the third receiver.  Sanders was split out at WR more and more towards the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Like NIL or not, it is saving Texas’ ass. With multiple other schools having built sophisticated cheating systems over the last several years, including A&M, Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc. the program was slowly declining to the point of becoming irrelevant, possibly forever. NIL puts Texas back in the game, at least for now.

I wonder what would have happened to the program if NIL never came along to at least level the playing field for us? 

Would we have continued down the path of righteousness or would we "sell our souls" to do what everyone else was already doing?

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder what would have happened to the program if NIL never came along to at least level the playing field for us? 

Would we have continued down the path of righteousness or would we "sell our souls" to do what everyone else was already doing?

The best case, IMO, and I mean best case is we struggled to irrelevance for another 10-15 years till the old money died, and then MAYBE their kids decide to sell our souls to become relevant.  

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Meh. 

Agreed. He’s not the portal WR to back the BRINKS truck up too. Addison was that guy last off-season and he ended up being worth the price for USC given they are about to be in the playoffs. Hopefully a WR of his caliber enters the this years portal and we win the commitment this time  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.ecee614e7100cec33d68f66d39cc7a3c.png

PK followed 3 days ago, he hits the portal today. Interesting....at least if I'm reading this correctly. Didn't see many other related follows until the portal news today.

'3days ago' is the last time that account tweeted - not when they started following.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

PK followed 3 days ago, he hits the portal today. Interesting....at least if I'm reading this correctly. Didn't see many other related follows until the portal news today.

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

'3days ago' is the last time that account tweeted - not when they started following.

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Either way PK been following

May have been the first follow. Beat the Oklahoma State coach follow

34 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

531-8008

27 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That's the list of people that Justin Wright follows.  Either way its a good sign that PK is the first in that list of coaches.

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

• Haha 4

aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMucmEuY28vMTk5NWM1Y2Vk

To me this is a period that will see portal changes here and there but the landscape for us will not really change. We will still have a shit coach that needs to have an epiphany on how to get out of his mediocrity syndrome. No essential superstars are leaving or coming to us via portal. The QB if he meets his potential will start making scrub receivers look like super stars, OL has potential to be great and running back room looks set.