2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

On 4/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Why would blue leave?

On 4/25/2022 at 1:13 PM, squeegeedegg said:

Because there's dozens of schools that could entice him with an RB1 spot, and he's solidly 5th here

😂🤣😂🤣

Why would you think that an kid who sat out his senior year in high school to save wear and tear on his body would want to endure the pounding of being RB1 for three years of college before going to the NFL?

#RegardedTakeisRegarded

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

So did I miss the players that were supposed to cause us to slit our wrists when they transferred out?  

Yes, but remember the Surl's credo:  "It's never too late to slit your wrists!"

Meme Creator - Funny do me a favour go slit your wrist I want to gut you  like a fish Meme Generator at MemeCreator.org!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NCAA proposes Transfer Portal windows

ZACH BARNETT      21 HOURS AGO

Instead of being open nearly 24/7, the Portal will soon be open for business only 60 days a year.

"It's never going to be the same, but it doesn't have to be the way that it is." SEC commissioner Greg Sankey opened the week with those words, and on Wednesday evening we saw the first inkling of them becoming true. The wide-open, no regulation, no guardrails era of college football will soon have at least some guardrails.

The NCAA Division I Council endorsed a proposal that would limit the Transfer Portal to two windows: 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection" and then May 1 to May 15, for a total of 60 days.

For the 2022 season, Championship Saturday is Dec. 3, Selection Sunday is Dec. 4, and so Dec. 5 would become Portal Monday. The Portal would remain open through Jan. 18, and then close until the end of April. In theory, any players entering the Portal on any of the other 305 days in the year would need a waiver to become eligible for the following season.

For personnel professionals tasked with tracking the Portal, cutting it down to two windows is a pick-your-poison scenario. More than 1,400 Division I players entered the Portal in 2020-21, and if your job is to know every single one of them, the Portal being open all fall might be a blessing in disguise. The drip drip drip of players trickling into the Portal might be annoying, like a ringing in your ears that won't go away, but at least that's manageable. If the same number of players enter the Portal in 2022-23, and the Portal is open for a mere 60 days, that's an average of nearly 24 new players per day. The drip, drip, drip of the faucet would become a firehose.

Of course, the Transformation Committee's thinking, the brain behind this proposal, is that closing the Portal until the Monday after the regular season ends would protect players from themselves, barring them from a rash decision with long-term negative consequences. And that may very well happen. But December and January were already the busiest months on a calendar that was open nearly 24/7. 

Those already busy months could become even busier soon.

Also, there's this:

Additionally, schools that accept four-year transfer students receiving financial aid will be required to provide financial aid to the student-athlete through the completion of the student's five-year period of eligibility or undergraduate graduation, whichever comes first, unless the student transfers again or enters a professional draft. The student would continue to count against roster and financial aid limits unless the student is medically disqualified, exhausts eligibility, transfers or enters a professional draft.

The proposal will go before the Division I Board of Directors for final approval next month.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2FQbTg

Was just screwing around and thought I’d check out the Hudl of someone I think has been somewhat of a forgotten man. The link is to sophomore highlights of Agiye Hall. Dude is a baller. This receiving corps is going to be deep and very good. 

If he can stay on the field (heard there are questions) yeah, he's a dude

He and Saban apparently weren’t a good mix, and I don’t think anyone wants to coexist with Bill O’Brien. If we get a motivated Hall, then watch out (yeah, it’s a big “if”). He was something like the 45th rated player in his class and was seeing some action (played in 7 games) at Bama as a true freshman. 

I think Billingsley will be more like a big slot guy than TE, the same size as Lil Jordan. So, we add Neyor, Hall, Milton, Billingsley from the portal to completely overturn the position. And I’m not forgetting the Montana Mighty Mite, who may actually be a valuable return guy. 

15 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Hall and Saban apparently weren’t a good mix, and I don’t think anyone wants to coexist with Bill O’Brien. If we get a motivated Hall, then watch out (yeah, it’s a big “if”). He was something like the 45th rated player in his class and was seeing some action (played in 7 games) at Bama as a true freshman. 

I think Billingsley will be more like a big slot guy than TE, the same size as Lil Jordan. So, we add Neyor, Hall, Milton, Billingsley from the portal to completely overturn the position. And I’m not forgetting the Montana Mighty Mite, who may actually be a valuable return guy. 

Segment by Scipio Tex that includes info on Hall, Milton and Billingsley.  

Texas Longhorns Wide Receivers: Finding No. 4, Then Five

Texas has the best starting wide receivers in the league. Xavier Worthy is a star who rewrote the Longhorn freshman receiving records, transfer Isaiah Neyor has already exceeded high offseason expectations and has a proven track record at a lower level of FBS play and, if healthy, Jordan Whittington will be a very good chain-moving complement to the two aforementioned. That trio will guarantee defensive respect, but what about upside and reliability beyond them?

At least two other wide receivers need to step up enough to provide adequate depth and spell the starters in-game. Texas also needs someone to emerge to exploit the potentially ripe opportunities at #4 receiver while also finding an insurance policy for Whittington in the slot.

Why would this be a big deal? Seems peripheral to write about given Texas isn’t sure who their left tackle is yet.

Because it’s the offseason and I want to discuss it. Because it’s not that peripheral if Texas wants to go 10-2 and win the Big 12. Because Texas has the potential to be one of the most formation diverse Longhorn squads in decades. Because when Texas spreads the field with four wide and Bijan Robinson in the backfield, any defense that can’t get to the QB immediately should be in trouble. Worthy demands double coverage, Neyor and Whittington are legit threats and Robinson out of the backfield on a linebacker means we should get Texas Fight ready to play. The #4 receiver is going to be covered by the worst man defender in the secondary or he will find himself negotiating zone coverages slanted towards others. In Man Scenario, Texas wants a #4 who can abuse that exposed defender. In Zone Scenario, they need a fourth option who can understand the coverage, run to open space, and catch the ball for a new set of downs. Ideally, Zone Buster and Man Buster would be the same receiver, but he doesn’t have to be.

As for Whittington insurance, can the athlete play in the slot? Or, conversely, if Worthy moves to the slot, can they present a serious threat elsewhere?

Enter the five most intriguing candidates: Troy Omeire, Tarique Milton, Agiye Hall, Brenen Thompson and…wait for it…Jahleel Billingsley. The five most likely athletes to provide what Texas needs behind Worthy-Neyor-Whittington.

Troy Omeire is coming off two knee injuries that derailed both his freshman and ensuing redshirt season before they started. Offseason word about his speed recovering is encouraging and his big body and strong hands remain unchanged. If he’s fully rehabbed, confident in his knee, and can move laterally out of his breaks, Omeire could pull a Shipley. He’s unlikely to be slot insurance unless his knee is really good, but the idea of Neyor and a healthy Omeire lining up outside is pretty scary for Big 12 corners.

Tarique Milton is a (Cyclone) program guy with a ton of experience. A savvy veteran potential #4, he’s a fit for the “make the smart read, run to easy space, make the catch” scenario posited above. His best football was played as a freshman and sophomore and injuries have plagued him and degraded his athleticism over the years. Is it back? Will a lighter load help keep him preserved? There’s no way to know until Fall Camp begins in earnest. Milton was brought here specifically as slot insurance.

Agiye Hall is a X factor. Any season prediction about him is in the realm of possibility. Dealing with the fat part of the bell curve, If the Alabama transfer is dialed in mentally, has grown up, and will accept that he has to prove himself to earn his snaps, this is the athlete you want matched up on the other team’s worst man pass defender in four wide. To the tune of potentially averaging 20 yards a catch and scoring a touchdown on every 3 or 4 receptions. I don’t see him as a slot replacement.

Brenen Thompson is small, hasn’t developed yet physically, and is inexperienced. May not matter. Because as the potential #4 receiver, his job is to apply his 10.22 100 meter speed on a defender who runs a 4.6+ 40 and see what happens. Thompson can fly and the #4 role shields him from physical press coverage that might exploit his lack of strength. He also has real potential in the screen game, particularly when in trips with effective and willing blockers like Neyor and Whittington. Worthy by himself on the other side guarantees there won’t be an overload. Adds interesting potential on reverses and jet sweeps.

Jahleel Billingsley plays tight end! What’s he doing here? And this guy had the gall to write a Longhorn preview book? Billingsley is here because if you want to narrowly classify a 219 pound athlete whose best use is split out without a hand on the ground, cool. He’s basically the same size as Neyor and Omeire. Billingsley has played a lot of football and could actually be an intriguing big body de facto slot replacement. Not doing quick slot things. Doing big body shielding a smaller defender things. Texas would prefer a true wide receiver breaking out, but coaches don’t mind a 6-4 guy with good hands moving the chains.

Texas fans should be excited about the potential of the starting wide outs, but there’s some fascinating boom/bust potential behind them. There may be more season upside attached to their development than one may think.

The 10th edition of the Thinking Texas Football season preview is here! It’s time to read the most informative, entertaining, and comprehensive Texas football preview on the planet. Find your copy of the Burnt Orange Bible (written by Paul Wadlington).

Purchase a copy of Thinking Texas Football and receive a promo code for 50% off an Inside Texas Plus subscription!

Amazon (paperback)
Apple
Smashwords (select mobi for Kindle users)
Facebook (to share with your friends)

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Segment by Scipio Tex that includes info on Hall, Milton and Billingsley.  

Texas Longhorns Wide Receivers: Finding No. 4, Then Five

I think it’s a solid write-up on the options and why, but for the framing of Troy Omeire.

Whoever has been feeding IT off-season information since Omeire arrived has always been glowing about the guy. Comparing his potential impact, if healthy, to Jordan Shipley’s when he got healthy is absurd. Shipley was hands down the better prospect from the start. Injuries sidelined him for a good long while, but he had better hands, better straight line speed and better quickness than Omeire ever dreamt of having.

In reality, Omeire can be completely ignored and the other candidates mentioned make that easy. It’s just a bizarre ongoing thing for those guys with him. It’s not like he was a 5 star out of high school. He was your basic Tom Herman special. They prioritized him over Quentin Johnston and, while we landed QJ for a bit, I think that played a role in him ultimately going elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, closetojumping said:

I think it’s a solid write-up on the options and why, but for the framing of Troy Omeire.

Whoever has been feeding IT off-season information since Omeire arrived has always been glowing about the guy. Comparing his potential impact, if healthy, to Jordan Shipley’s when he got healthy is absurd. Shipley was hands down the better prospect from the start. Injuries sidelined him for a good long while, but he had better hands, better straight line speed and better quickness than Omeire ever dreamt of having.

In reality, Omeire can be completely ignored and the other candidates mentioned make that easy. It’s just a bizarre ongoing thing for those guys with him. It’s not like he was a 5 star out of high school. He was your basic Tom Herman special. They prioritized him over Quentin Johnston and, while we landed QJ for a bit, I think that played a role in him ultimately going elsewhere. 

I think his comparison between Omeire and Shipley is more about returning from two seasons lost to injury than about about potential quality of play.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, BornOrange said:

I think his comparison between Omeire and Shipley is more about returning from two seasons lost to injury than about about potential quality of play.

That was my take as well. Literally just saying he could have a productive UT career after starting with 2 surgeries and out both full years. 

On 7/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, BornOrange said:

Except Shipley was exceptionally faster than Omeire ever was and Shipley is probably one of the best route runners we have ever had.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Except Shipley was exceptionally faster than Omeire ever was and Shipley is probably one of the best route runners we have ever had.

Which still has nothing to do with Omeire returning to his normal 100% after two years of injury. Nobody is saying he will be comparable to Shipley on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah the slow guy, going to magically get faster.....Omeire is 995 fiction at this point.

You are reading a lot more into the comparison than what was intended.  I highly doubt Scipio (or anyone else with half a brain) would ever think that Omeire is going to have anywhere near the same success Shipley did. Pulling a Shipley (or a Scaife) just means that someone is able to come back and play after losing multiple seasons to injury.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Our Kingdom for a Competent Edge, Please?

Lane Kiffin -- "The Portal King"

Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin has made sure his Rebels are at the forefront of the new transfer portal landscape over the past year, and On3’s JD PicKell discussed how those portal additions will contribute to Ole Miss this coming season.

“The way he’s used the portal has been very much publicized and he’s been vocal about his opinions on the portal,” PicKell said. “But I think we got to take a look at how he’s done this at Ole Miss – both the kind of players they got, and then the attitude that Lane Kiffin has taken towards the portal – because I think both are really interesting.

“In terms of the players they’ve gotten, they have done an overhaul in terms of the kind of skill they’ve now got on their roster. Credit to Lane Kiffin because after a 10-win season a year ago, they lost a lot of pieces – obviously Matt Corral and their top running backs – those guys are gone. And so to replace that talent, with the way that you can do it now in the portal, all the props like given in the world to Kiffin for embracing that.”

In terms of talent brought in through the portal, Kiffin brought in 17 different players from elsewhere around the college football world to play together in Oxford.

Former five-star running back Zach Evans, quarterback Jaxson Dart, tight end Michael Trigg, running back Ulysses Bentley and wide receiver Malik Heath are all expected to make waves for the Rebels offensively this season. Meanwhile Khari Coleman, Isheem Young and Troy Brown headline the defensive additions for Ole Miss.

While most transfers are expected to quickly fill in voids for the Rebels this season, if PicKell is to believed, Evans could end up being one of the top running backs in the SEC this season.

“For Zach Evans – no matter who’s playing quarterback for Ole Miss – [opposing defenses are] going to have to commit numbers to stopping that man, because that’s exactly what it is.” PicKell said about the former TCU tailback. “He’s a grown man coming downhill at you quick, fast and in a hurry.

“If your linebackers want to patter their feet and be slow on their run read, he’s going to put the crown of his helmet directly in your mouthpiece. That’s not going to feel good and you’re going to have your second-string linebacker than filling that hole. So for Zach Evans to be a tone setter for them to get through the portal, Lane Kiffin hit a home run on that one.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lane Kiffin -- "The Portal King"

…“If your linebackers want to patter their feet and be slow on their run read, he’s going to put the crown of his helmet directly in your mouthpiece. That’s not going to feel good and you’re going to have your second-string linebacker than filling that hole. So for Zach Evans to be a tone setter for them to get through the portal, Lane Kiffin hit a home run on that one.

That is leading with the helmet and an ejectionable act. 

Using the crown of the helmet is no longer allowed. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Bend Over and I’ll Show You