2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Arguably second best coach of the 2000s, Kirby is hot on his trail.

Kirby has only proven that distributing a price list to elite prospects was a great way to build a football program.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Kirby has only proven that distributing a price list to elite prospects was a great way to build a football program.

Okay, cool. Well he's added to this list of these 7 schools since 1970 to go back-to-back. 

Texas – 1969, 1970 (co-champions with two other teams in 1970)

Nebraska – 1970, 1971 (co-champions with two other teams in 1970)

Oklahoma – 1974, 1975 (co-champions in 1974)

Alabama – 1978, 1979 (co-champions in 1978)

Nebraska – 1994, 1995

USC – 2003, 2004 (co-champions in 2003, 2004 championship vacated by NCAA)

Alabama – 2011, 2012

1 hour ago, NoName said:

first of all, he is absolutely the GOAT. unless you think it was harder for him to win 7 national championships in the 2000s than it was for Bear Bryant  to win 6 or a bunch of dudes to win national championships pre-integration.

at this point, idk how anyone can seriously act like anyone other than Saban isn't the best coach ever. 

also, "becoming a dinosaur" lol

• Saban last 10 years: 90.0 win%
  • Saban last 5 years: 89.9 win%
  • Saban last 3 years: 90.2 win%
  • Saban last 2 years: 85.7 win%

so sure, he's "quickly becoming a dinosaur" - even now, with Bama being outside the top 100 in returning production how many people here feel super confident about Texas winning?

...also while NU had it's issues, obviously, Osborne won 3 national championships in his last 5 years there, he played for a fourth and lost it by 2 points, lost 0 conference games in those 5 years, and lost 3 total games in those 5 years - 2 of them being the 93 championship which they lost by 2 points and the James Brown/Roll Left game.

let's not act like he pulled a Mack Brown and stayed around too long, saw it all fall apart in front of him, saw the game pass him by and then had to be kicked out the door.

It’s weird. I feel like I remember Saint Tom losing one conference game in his last five years. Trying to think through the details …

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

first of all, he is absolutely the GOAT. unless you think it was harder for him to win 7 national championships in the 2000s than it was for Bear Bryant  to win 6 or a bunch of dudes to win national championships pre-integration.

at this point, idk how anyone can seriously act like anyone other than Saban isn't the best coach ever. 

so sure, he's "quickly becoming a dinosaur" - even now, with Bama being outside the top 100 in returning production how many people here feel super confident about Texas winning?

...also while NU had it's issues, obviously, Osborne won 3 national championships in his last 5 years there, he played for a fourth and lost it by 2 points, lost 0 conference games in those 5 years, and lost 3 total games in those 5 years - 2 of them being the 93 championship which they lost by 2 points and the James Brown/Roll Left game.

let's not act like he pulled a Mack Brown and stayed around too long, saw it all fall apart in front of him, saw the game pass him by and then had to be kicked out the door.

1.) Tom Osborne is an amoral piece of shit
2.) He was smart enough to retire when he saw the writing on the wall.
3.) Tom Osborne is an amoral piece of shit, and this should always be the first thing out of anyone's mouth when the subject of Tom Osborne comes up.

Fuck Tom Osborne. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

In all seriousness, Saban is the GOAT IMO as well. That considered, careers have their own gravity, just like everything else in this universe. The argument that there's twilight in Title Town is not without merit. This season will either bear that out fully or validate your position that he's still got it and won't finish like Bowden. I've made my arguments on this board as to why that position is wrong and he's mirroring Bowden's arc, almost uncannily, so I won't further dilute things here. 

47 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He meant Regular Season conference games, since he mentioned Roll Left.

Honestly, man, it doesn't matter. It wasn't factually correct to state that he didn't lose a conference game in his final 5 years. Sorry. A conference championship game is, by definition, a conference game. It doesn't matter where it appeared on the schedule or if it is an official in-season conference match-up. Two teams in the same conference played one another and one of them lost, leading to something other than an undefeated conference record over a five year period. It rightfully tarnishes the premise that Osborne was flawless in his own conference to finish his career, which is what NoName was implying.

This is similar to the argument people make about ATM finishing in the top 4 in 2020. They didn't. It doesn't matter what a poll ranked them after the season. There was a playoff that invited the top 4 teams in college football to play each other to finish the season. By definition, those were the top 4 teams in 2020 and none of them were named Texas A&M. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In all seriousness, Saban is the GOAT IMO as well. That considered, careers have their own gravity, just like everything else in this universe. The argument that there's twilight in Title Town is not without merit. This season will either bear that out fully or validate your position that he's still got it and won't finish like Bowden. I've made my arguments on this board as to why that position is wrong and he's mirroring Bowden's arc, almost uncannily, so I won't further dilute things here. 

Honestly, man, it doesn't matter. It wasn't factually correct to state that he didn't lose a conference game in his final 5 years. Sorry. A conference championship game is, by definition, a conference game. It doesn't matter where it appeared on the schedule or if it is an official in-season conference match-up. Two teams in the same conference played one another and one of them lost, leading to something other than an undefeated conference record over a five year period. It rightfully tarnishes the premise that Osborne was flawless in his own conference to finish his career, which is what NoName was implying.

This is similar to the argument people make about ATM finishing in the top 4 in 2020. They didn't. It doesn't matter what a poll ranked them after the season. There was a playoff that invited the top 4 teams in college football to play each other to finish the season. By definition, those were the top 4 teams in 2020 and none of them were named Texas A&M. 

I think there's already some dimming in Titletown.  Kirby's fat sweaty ass is blocking out the sun and Sark the savant is coming to finish the job.

I don't think there needs to be an opinion on Saban being the GOAT.  No debate at all.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am amused that that guy is Alabama’s answer at QB.  He’s a return to a Greg McElroy-esque talent level. Nick Saban really does believe he can just will the CFB world back an to an offensive era  with which he’s more comfortable. 

He certainly shouldn't be able to escape a corner blitz like Bryce Young could.

I'll see myself out...

• Rage+1 1

I’m all in on the Saban slide into mediocrity but in his defense, they lost two games on the road on last second walk off plays (a fg at Tenn and a 2 pointer in ot at LSU) last season. They were an eyelash away from the playoff and I would have given them a good chance against the field with Young. 

And even in most of his championship seasons they took an L somewhere along the way. Only twice undefeated. I see the cracks too, but how far off his historical norm is he in reality? I will gleefully piss on his corpse when he’s done, and hope we do our part to usher that in this September, but the dude is a witch to me until proven otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I’m all in on the Saban slide into mediocrity but in his defense, they lost two games on the road on last second walk off plays (a fg at Tenn and a 2 pointer in ot at LSU) last season. They were an eyelash away from the playoff and I would have given them a good chance against the field with Young. 

And even in most of his championship seasons they took an L somewhere along the way. Only twice undefeated. I see the cracks too, but how far off his historical norm is he in reality? I will gleefully piss on his corpse when he’s done, and hope we do our part to usher that in this September, but the dude is a witch to me until proven otherwise. 

We will fuck them up 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On the other side of that, he wasted 2 years of Bryce Young with O'Brien.  Thinking he would be able to run a good offense is the pinnacle of hubris.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You make a good point, but you have to look at the other side too. Yeah, the could have won the Tennessee and LSU games BUT they could have lost to A&M and they should have lost to us. Even Ole Miss was a one-score game. Saban is unquestionably the GOAT and his defense will be one of the best in the country, but college football often comes down to who has the best QB and the room in Tuscaloosa is looking very suspect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think an accurate description might be a slide into "Mack Brown at his peak" territory. Less well coached, especially relative to improved coaching at Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, and even Ole Miss. They'll probably always have tons of talent though.

Edited by TotallyLegit

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am amused that that guy is Alabama’s answer at QB.  He’s a return to a Greg McElroy-esque talent level. Nick Saban really does believe he can just will the CFB world back an to an offensive era  with which he’s more comfortable. 

I was hoping for a swerve and for him to go full triple option with Milroe. My confidence level for week 2 is increasing. 

43 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah but they also needed a lot of luck and officiating to beat Texas as well as aggy having 3 plays at the 5 yard line or something like that to beat them as well. You can play the coulda shoulda woulda game both ways on that season last year and say they should have lost 4 or 5 games.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah but they also needed a lot of luck and officiating to beat Texas as well as aggy having 3 plays at the 5 yard line or something like that to beat them as well. You can play the coulda shoulda woulda game both ways on that season last year and say they should have lost 4 or 5 games.  

Bryce Young was cheerleading vs aggy, that was the Milroe show.

43 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Did I post that it was Neto here? Ya they think he sticks now at least till fall

IT didn’t out him but I think that was the general consensus, anyway.  He seems a little high maintenance, particularly so for an O-lineman.  

Also, maybe over-reading the tea leaves but perhaps he’s disappointed his brother isn’t higher sought.  

Edited by LCHorn
Fucking autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bryce Young was cheerleading vs aggy, that was the Milroe show.

And what a show it was!

1c047ddc-d206-41c7-8496-d81127c2b33c_tex

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

I feel much better about Sept 9. This is a panic move. I know where their new AD came from, but still, this is no bueno. Anthony Hill is going to suplex Buchner in the 2nd qtr right out of the game. 

Would rather we get some payback on Dallas Turner for last year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1