2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

33 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Isn’t Smalls the guy that was an Oregon/Washington battle and had drama about one of the schools (I think Oregon) negative recruiting the other as racist? 

IDK about the racial component but I thought Smalls came down to UW and tOSU.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Isn’t Smalls the guy that was an Oregon/Washington battle and had drama about one of the schools (I think Oregon) negative recruiting the other as racist? 

I also remember this. This is accurate.

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I think Oregon entered the Union with a black exclusion law. Weird angle for them to take.

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

yes, Oregon was heavily insinuating that Washington was racist with a black head coach.

OU going after an App State lineman (Troy Everett). 

The new mod's description ...  😂  😂  😂  😂 

It's a BRAWL.

image.thumb.png.6d347c460156c2f73704363b893729e1.png

A BRAWL, I tell you.

image.thumb.png.52e0c5c9de98dd7e4c21e051b5439736.png

A BRAWL!!!!!!

image.png.206f115dcc9747b8ae092778e4755179.png

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

It's a BRAWL.

A BRAWL, I tell you.

A BRAWL!!!!!!

jim+ross+blah+blah+blah.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Do y'all think having quality depth is going to be a thing of the past in college football? Keeping all those guys seems like it is going to be a monumental challenge. I guess that is easier than trying to poach guys, though. OTOH, there will be a lot of wasted money signing developmental guys who may or may not contribute that could go towards bringing in guys from other programs who are already successful. 

It might be a pretty one-off deal with Manning being someone who (supposedly) doesn't have any money deals at all. Also, Sark still has a good reputation as a QB developer. Without those two factors, yeah, seems impossible to have to 5* and one high-4* QB on campus at the same time.

46 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Do y'all think having quality depth is going to be a thing of the past in college football? Keeping all those guys seems like it is going to be a monumental challenge. I guess that is easier than trying to poach guys, though. OTOH, there will be a lot of wasted money signing developmental guys who may or may not contribute that could go towards bringing in guys from other programs who are already successful. 

Program dependent IMO.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Murphy apparently likes being at Texas and thinks he's being developed well, particularly the mechanical side. He's had some maturity issues and they've worked with him on that. His family and advisors think he's in a good spot.

The pitch is basically this: You're going to be the back-up for the 2023 season to a guy that has high draft potential and also might get hurt. The guy behind you wants to redshirt. You will almost certainly get chances to play this year and put good film together. If you just end up winning the spot, why leave? If you don't, but you play plenty and look good, you're going to get paid by someone via NIL before 2024. You can't lose by staying here and continuing to become an NFL-ready QB. 

I don't know how replicable the situation is for the future, but I do believe that schools and staffs that can show a history of development will be able to manage depth at historically normal levels for those positions in which the development history is true. NIL will also matter to some degree, but that's more where the floor for the roster component comes in. Murphy is likely getting some NIL or in line for some, but nothing crazy (this is speculative, I don't know anything on this part as yet). Anyone approaching him in the portal was unlikely to have been willing to bid high enough to offset all of the UT/Seven Loss Steve positives for 2023. 

Or, maybe there's a chick he's in love with and doesn't want to go to Tuscaloosa, Lansing or UCLA and leave her.

This all makes sense for the 2023 season, but do you know the pitch/plan for 2024? He has to know people are already anointing Manning QB1 coming into 2024. Obviously he could win the job, but is it "try to win it in the spring of '24 and if you don't, good luck elsewhere"?

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing to note is that Ewers' camp ensured he was handled with kid gloves last season and it cost the program at least one game and played an overall role in limiting his development. If they pull that shit this year, they run a very real risk of Murphy performing well enough for the program not to care if Ewers is back. Of course, that wouldn't be true if Ewers was killing it before being held out.

Are you referring to Ewer's camp demanding that he be held out for the Tech and WVU games due to the Bama injury? Or that he was left in a game when he should have been pulled (e.g., the TCU game)?

Not trying to pry, just curious. 

11 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Are you referring to Ewer's camp demanding that he be held out for the Tech and WVU games due to the Bama injury? Or that he was left in a game when he should have been pulled (e.g., the TCU game)?

Not trying to pry, just curious. 

Yes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think there is only one way in which Murphy stays at Texas for the 2024 cycle. He'd have to win the job in 2023 by turning a briefly injured Quinn Ewers into Wally Pipp and then looking fucking awesome. That would likely either cost the program Manning, Ewers, or both. I really have a hard time fathoming what would bring Murphy back unless he wins the 2024 starter role during the 2023 season due to his extraordinary play. 2024 is Murphy's contract year, so he's going to be somewhere in which he feels certain he's going to be the starter.

One thing to note is that Ewers' camp ensured he was handled with kid gloves last season and it cost the program at least one game and played an overall role in limiting his development. If they pull that shit this year, they run a very real risk of Murphy performing well enough for the program not to care if Ewers is back. Of course, that wouldn't be true if Ewers was killing it before being held out.

The QB situation for 2023 at Texas is one of the most interesting scenarios to watch this fall as a CFB fan. It's a loaded room based on potential, but that doesn't pay the rent. I think Steve Sarklostagain hopes Ewers plays well and stays healthy. If he gets hurt, Murphy coming in and lighting things up would then be a national story with all kinds of hawt takes. If Ewers doesn't make the developmental leap we're all hoping for, then the shit even gets more crazy with the backups. 

If I might quibble with one point, it's the sequence of your events:

Spring 2024--Ewers declares early

Fall 2024--Sarkisian is going to wait until the last moment to name a starter and that's going to make it hard for Murphy to evaluate transfer options due to lack of time.  If he leaves, Sark's back-up QB is a true freshman that's a developmental prospect or Charles Wright has been persuaded to stick around (I think it's more likely HE goes as a graduate transfer).  I think your argument for Murphy staying in 2023 holds through 2024 and if he's a back-up to Manning he'll transfer over the winter break with three years of eligibility remaining.  

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

If I might quibble with one point, it's the sequence of your events:

Spring 2024--Ewers declares early

Fall 2024--Sarkisian is going to wait until the last moment to name a starter and that's going to make it hard for Murphy to evaluate transfer options due to lack of time.  If he leaves, Sark's back-up QB is a true freshman that's a developmental prospect or Charles Wright has been persuaded to stick around (I think it's more likely HE goes as a graduate transfer).  I think your argument for Murphy staying in 2023 holds through 2024 and if he's a back-up to Manning he'll transfer over the winter break with three years of eligibility remaining.  

If I'm Murphy, I'm going to spend the spring taking starter reps to prepare for a season as THE starter. There's no way I gamble on winning the job in fall camp.

16 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Fall 2024--Sarkisian is going to wait until the last moment to name a starter and that's going to make it hard for Murphy to evaluate transfer options due to lack of time. 

Doubt this is how it goes. If Murphy isn’t named the starter by the end of spring 2024 he’s probably transferring.  The writing would be on the wall at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

It's a BRAWL.

A BRAWL, I tell you.

A BRAWL!!!!!!

I mean, he's clearly proven he has what it takes to win in the SEC west

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If I'm Murphy, I'm going to spend the spring taking starter reps to prepare for a season as THE starter. There's no way I gamble on winning the job in fall camp.

Agree.

If Murphy is clearly the better player after spring '24 and not named the starter,  he gone. 

3 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

This kid is rapidly becoming one of my all time favorite Horns. I'd hate to see Quinn get hurt but I would like to see Maalik in action and maybe even start a few times. Just unreal arm talent - and you can tell he's come a LOOOONG way from last year. I know there's basically no way we keep him around but what a good kid who's done everything that's been asked of him and stayed loyal (at least for now).

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah whoever is perceived as being in 2nd place after spring of '24 is gone. There's no point in Murphy transferring before the '23 season, unless someone makes him a big NIL offer, which probably won't happen. He was highly ranked, has a giant arm, put some nice things on tape in the 2023 spring game, comes from a known quantity development-wise, and has been a fine citizen so far. If he can show some good stuff in mop-up duty this year and next spring, he'll have mid-tier or better programs falling all over themselves to hand him the keys to the kingdom for the '24 season.

Our backup in '24 is not currently on the roster unless Wright just really, really fucking loves it here and they've offered him a nice grad assistant gig when he finishes. Much more likely, it will be a grad transfer that wants to play school, or maaaybe Trey Owens if he's an early enrollee. We'll be hunting 5-star recruits for the 2025 recruiting class.

All this assume that Ewers leaves. Doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion to me, but a lot of smarter people than me seem to think so.

I said something on IT the other day about how there is no scenario where Ewers, Manning, and Murphy are all on the team in 2024. That didn't go over very well. Evidently a portion of our fanbase expects that to happen, so it should be fun to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I said something on IT the other day about how there is no scenario where Ewers, Manning, and Murphy are all on the team in 2024. That didn't go over very well. Evidently a portion of our fanbase expects that to happen, so it should be fun to watch. 

Ewers will declare after the season no matter what..  NFL teams will grab him based on his skill set alone.  

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

lolwut

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Lincoln is gonna need a QB next year I wonder who ends up there

he identified and targeted Malachi Nelson literally 4 years ago. he has his (next) QB unless something wacky happens. dude certainly knows how to recruit and develop QBs

30 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

Any chance that Manning stays if he is a backup in 2024 with eyes towards starting in '25 since Murphy would be eligible for the draft?

Or is this complete and total fantasy?

I thought about including this in my response to CTJ, but I'm actually a little more optimistic than him that Manning doesn't immediately transfer if he's behind Murphy in the fall of '24.  That said, I don't think he's going to be advised to back-up Murphy more than a year and that's the best case scenario if he's not named the starter (in other words, if Murphy is first string but not a great NFL candidate and wants to return for the 2025 season I would agree that Manning is gone). 

Bear in mind this is a little tea leaf reading but also sourced from personal networks unrelated to football so maybe a little differently sourced than what might come from the coaching underground/recruiting websites.  From what I've been told, he's not David Ash but Manning very much wants the experience of being a college student at Texas specifically and if football wasn't a consideration he'd probably still have chosen to come here for undergrad.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I’ve always said from the beginning if ewers doesn’t make the leap this year then what happens with manning? This was before Murphy showed to be at least decent. But then Richardson was 4th(?)Overall pick so it seems that maybe it ewers makes a minimal jump he should be able to get a good draft grade. 2nd round at least. Who knows.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's gone either way, he'll want to start somewhere by that point even if Arch is better than he is.

That's probably right because even if Murphy is the better player after spring ball I doubt Sark would name him starter at that time.    

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Ewers will declare after the season no matter what..  NFL teams will grab him based on his skill set alone.  

Cross posting from another thread:

Ewers is going to be a first round pick next year unless he loses his job during the season. Will Levis threw 23 interceptions in 2 seasons. And never topped 2500 yards passing, and he was the second pick of the second round. Anthony Richardson had a 57% completion percentage and was a top 5 pick. 

The math has changed on QB evaluation. You cant hardly win a superbowl unless you have a star QB on a rookie contract. Everyone is looking for those guys. The risk tolerance is out of whack.

Quinn has elite traits, and as long as he shows progress this year he is a round 1 lock. He will remind too many of Mahomes, and the entire league is kicking themselves for not drafting him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

A Mac Jones type situation happens once every 20 years but since it happened recently people think it can just be replicated over and over. That we can just have Murphy and Arch happily sit on the bench for multiple seasons each as they wait their turn because "culture" and they "like Sark".

Real world takes over at some point, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Edited by Hookem2147

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I can only assume that that poster group is just a hair above the 247 crew, which isn't saying much. I buy a subscription for my dad over there and I go and read Gerry and Bobby's stuff every now and then. I fall into the trap of reading the comments and it's like reading the comments following an article on some political issue. Grim.

3 hours ago, someguy said:

They will need to drag Wright out of the program kicking and screaming, and even then they'll probably have to change the locks.

I asked guys about him maybe graduating this spring and leaving that way and they were not optimistic. Sounds like you aren't either. It would be awesome if the dude could hit the broadside of a fucking barn.

I can't blame him though. Given how much fun many of us had at Texas while not being able to claim being a QB on the football team, being able to chase ass with that fact in your hip pocket has to be quite the elixir. One of my and @SydneyCarton's good friends was a walk-on QB at Texas and even that asshole wound up marrying a UT cheerleader. 

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I thought about including this in my response to CTJ, but I'm actually a little more optimistic than him that Manning doesn't immediately transfer if he's behind Murphy in the fall of '24.  That said, I don't think he's going to be advised to back-up Murphy more than a year and that's the best case scenario if he's not named the starter (in other words, if Murphy is first string but not a great NFL candidate and wants to return for the 2025 season I would agree that Manning is gone). 

Bear in mind this is a little tea leaf reading but also sourced from personal networks unrelated to football so maybe a little differently sourced than what might come from the coaching underground/recruiting websites.  From what I've been told, he's not David Ash but Manning very much wants the experience of being a college student at Texas specifically and if football wasn't a consideration he'd probably still have chosen to come here for undergrad.  

Hat tip for smoking the good shit, and this early in the day, too. When you sober up though, I hope you laugh as hard at this wishcasting as the rest of us paying attention. If Manning isn't the starter in 2024 at Texas, he's going to be the starter in 2024 somewhere else. 

• Haha 1