2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

Just now, Bevo said:

He was pretty highly regarded. Perhaps he still is. 4 games doesn't mean much assuming he retained his redshirt. Don't know anything about his injury or how he has looked in practice.

LSU football's Antoine Sampah and Phillip Webb leave program due to medical concerns

LSU football linebackers Antoine Sampah and Phillip Webb have left the program due to medical reasons, according to an LSU spokesperson.

Sampah and Webb were former top 100 recruits in the Class of 2020, according to 247Sports Composite. Both were left off a recent update of LSU's roster online.

Webb recorded a tackle and played in three games over two seasons for LSU. Sampah played in six games, but only two last season against McNeese State and Central Michigan.

36 minutes ago, Bevo said:

LSU football's Antoine Sampah and Phillip Webb leave program due to medical concerns

LSU football linebackers Antoine Sampah and Phillip Webb have left the program due to medical reasons, according to an LSU spokesperson.

Sampah and Webb were former top 100 recruits in the Class of 2020, according to 247Sports Composite. Both were left off a recent update of LSU's roster online.

Webb recorded a tackle and played in three games over two seasons for LSU. Sampah played in six games, but only two last season against McNeese State and Central Michigan.

“Medical concerns” being an issue at LSU for eligibility is flat out laughable. This is the same school that guaranteed D’Gabriel Floyd medical clearance if he’d transfer from Texas and get on their roster. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

“Medical concerns” being an issue at LSU for eligibility is flat out laughable. This is the same school that guaranteed D’Gabriel Floyd medical clearance if he’d transfer from Texas and get on their roster. 

That was before Brian Kelly, who has a much stronger moral compass.

Kelly makes the players stand on a scissor jack in 30 mph winds before he signs off that they are fully medically cleared. 

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

That was before Brian Kelly, who has a much stronger moral compass.

Kelly makes the players stand on a scissor jack in 30 mph winds before he signs off that they are fully medically cleared. 

Those practices aren't taping themselves. Of course, now there are drones.

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

If we would take Agiye Hall, we would take Evan Stewart in a heartbeat.

Idk. I think one knucklehead transfer WR is enough. 

Granted, i dont think Stewart would get into the same kind trouble,  but hed still be a problem. Wasnt there talk of him being late/ missing meetings and practice?

A team can only take so much distraction. Go for the Neyor types. The small school standouts who wanna show out for the league. 

Not entitled head cases who took the money and then didnt like the deal. 

F'em

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, Atticus said:

You are not wrong.  However, the WR room is completely different this time next year with Neyor, Hall, Cain and others that it was when we took Hall.  That is before you consider the quality of the recruiting class coming in with Cook and others.  I am not saying Stewart would not be a take.  Just that it is a completely different room than when we took Hall.

• Hook 'Em 2

These guys aren't as nuts about rivalries as we the fans are.  I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart was friends with lots of guys on the Texas football team.  In the end he made a business decision to fleece aggy for funds.  Can't fault him for that.  I doubt he finishes his career there too which I'm watching with glee.

• Hook 'Em 4

36 minutes ago, TXRed said:

If Stewart were to hit the portal I wouldn’t expect him to just jump straight to Texas. He’d probably start a bidding war between Texas, Bama, USC, and any other high profile school that would want in on it. 

Correct. If Stewart hits the portal, I view it as a given that he'd wind up at USC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It'll be interesting to see what we do at WR in the portal this off-season. We are losing Milton for sure, and I am guessing Whittington leaves if he thinks he has any shot at the NFL? So we aren't losing much to graduation, but I am guessing Omeire and Alexis are the most likely to portal. I can't see us being a destination for a top WR like Stewart who might be transferring given we will have Worthy, Neyor, and the new freshman guys like Cook all vying for targets.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, Atticus said:

5 hours ago, deech said:

You are not wrong.  However, the WR room is completely different this time next year with Neyor, Hall, Cain and others that it was when we took Hall.  That is before you consider the quality of the recruiting class coming in with Cook and others.  I am not saying Stewart would not be a take.  Just that it is a completely different room than when we took Hall.

Don't forget in 2023 that both Troy Omerie & Jaden Alexis will be 2 years removed from their ACL injuries, so that means both of them likely will have regained their full athletism back. The WR room is gonna be full next season if none of the WRs on the roster enter the portal & UT adds 4 WRs in the 2023 recruiting class. So adding a WR from the portal is gonna make for an interesting roster management decision.

As excited as we are for Neyor to come back next year there is a zero percent chance that the likes of Stewart would be scared off by the freshman, Hall, or a recovering Neyor. The coaching staff also seems like they are intent on bringing in as much talent as possible in rooms that aren't already stacked like the  QB, RB, and OL room 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

These guys aren't as nuts about rivalries as we the fans are.  I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart was friends with lots of guys on the Texas football team.  In the end he made a business decision to fleece aggy for funds.  Can't fault him for that.  I doubt he finishes his career there too which I'm watching with glee.

Fondren, you are correct. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule but for the most part, fan bases hate each other more than the players do.

18 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Fondren, you are correct. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule but for the most part, fan bases hate each other more than the players do.

I also want to caveat that I don’t expect him to end up at Texas nor do I care.  I’m just here for the impending aggy tears.  😂 

• Like 1

This year/offseason should be proof that we need try to stack position groups as much of possible regardless of how well off you think it is. We thought WR was loaded beyond belief in July and now 2 months later we have a Neyor injury, Agiye Hall immaturity, Savion Red with more catches than Tarique Milton and Omeire and Alexis no where close to seeing the field.

Stack talent. Period. At all positions. Only position where we shouldn't be looking to add to the room is QB and maybe OL assuming we retain most/all of our significant young pieces.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

This year/offseason should be proof that we need try to stack position groups as much of possible regardless of how well off you think it is. We thought WR was loaded beyond belief in July and now 2 months later we have a Neyor injury, Agiye Hall immaturity, Savion Red with more catches than Tarique Milton and Omeire and Alexis no where close to seeing the field.

Stack talent. Period. At all positions. Only position where we shouldn't be looking to add to the room is QB and maybe OL assuming we retain most/all of our significant young pieces.

Sark doesn't rotate his receivers like that. We were never going to even see Casey Cain if not for Neyor's injury. Someone would have to be hard to keep on the sidelines to break into the rotation. Sanders isn't coming off the field much this year. We are committed to Karic getting "TE" snaps. Helm is getting good run at TE too. Billingsley may get looks when he gets off suspension. Rojo and KRob could use more involvement.

Our issue isn't a depth one. We have a lot of solid to great options right now that are keeping guys like Milton/Omeire/Thompson/Red on the sidelines. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sark doesn't rotate his receivers like that. We were never going to even see Casey Cain if not for Neyor's injury. Someone would have to be hard to keep on the sidelines to break into the rotation. Sanders isn't coming off the field much this year. We are committed to Karic getting "TE" snaps. Helm is getting good run at TE too. Billingsley may get looks when he gets off suspension. Rojo and KRob could use more involvement.

Our issue isn't a depth one. We have a lot of solid to great options right now that are keeping guys like Milton/Omeire/Thompson/Red on the sidelines. 

I agree to an extent. If Neyor was healthy and our 4th WR option was someone who was a potential difference maker and not Cain/Milton/Red/etc, I bet we would see a little more rotation. 

Maybe the coaches are confident that Neyor will be healthy and coming back and that the incoming freshman class combined with Cain/Red/Hall/Thompson will give them what they need. If they choose that route I would feel slightly nervous because that’s a lot of unproven commodities or guys bouncing back from major injuries.

I wouldn’t just be ignoring high level receivers who enter the portal. 

Edited by Hookem2147

On 9/20/2022 at 4:40 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Great post, and it was my initial thought as well. Sark isn't rotating whole lines like hockey players at WR. Just because guys like Milton haven't caught anything (they have played) doesn't mean they aren't adequate or even good. We haven't seen Thompson get time either. Additionally, we needed all our starters all game for Bama, and for almost all of UTSA. Show me some blowouts and I'll show you more time and catches for Milton and Thompson and Red. 

Additionally, there's always give and take managing a roster, and not all positions are created equal. If we're stacking and there is a priority, it's OL and DL, then probably LB (because we're thin AF), and skill positions and secondary likely bringing up the rear. QB is it's own animal, it's not worth addressing. I think we are fine at WR, and if we're not we're going to go portal shopping, which we will likely do anyway. 

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2023 Transfer Thread - Bend Over and I’ll Show You